flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flindip

From the Escapist:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122007-Obsidian-is-Pitching-a-New-Star-Wars-Game

"The studio is looking to return to its old stomping ground with another game set in theStar Wars universe. CEO Feargus Urquhart has revealed that Obsidian is lobbying heavily to develop a new Star Wars RPG.

Rather than step on BioWare's toes and set their game during the Old Republic era, Obsidian is looking to explore one of the darker, more interesting periods of the Star Wars chronology; the fall of the Republic and the extermination of the Jedi."

All I can say is that the original Knights of the Old Republic was based on D&D d-20 rule system. Perhaps Obsidian can take a look into Fantasy Flight's Star Wars title "Edge of the Empire?"

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=232&enmi=Star%20Wars:%20Edge%20of%20the%20Empire

Its more or less set around the same time frame.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That's all fine and dandy, but I thought that now that Lucas Arts is under new management (Disney) they were canning all big budget game attempts after 1313.

I should say though, the idea of a Star Wars RPG set in a time period that I actually care about (ie, around the time of the movies, even if it is the inferior movies) sounds pretty great. The only problem is that any time I play an Obsidian game, it seems like for every good part about it there are three or four bugs or other assorted issues to go along with it.

I doubt this game will exist. Obsidian would probably have an easier time getting Alpha Protocol II off the ground.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Branthog

Oh, thank god! I was just thinking, the other day, how we just don't have enough crappy Star Wars and Star Trek games in the world. Boy, glad someone was listening to me! :)

Okay, I admit I am being kind of a jerk here, but . . . seriously, man . . .

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By flindip

@MooseyMcMan: I would assume Obsidian would be getting the rights, and just make the game on their end. LucasArts would co-brand but they wouldn't be making it.

I think Disney has already said that they were going to parcel the brand to developers but wouldn't be making anything, in house, other than 1313.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gravier251

Oh, I hope they get to do that. I enjoyed Obsidian's take on star wars with making it more morally ambiguous and questioning the very nature and merits of the force. Had some compelling arguments against jedi and the force in general. I'd love to see Obsidian get another shot at the setting.

Them having the freedom to explore a pretty dark period in the setting would definitely be to their benefit.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ArtisanBreads

This could be good. But my issue with KOTOR II remains that Obsidian's idea of Star Wars is just going super dark... and well that's just not Star Wars to me. It's why I much preferred KOTOR, Bioware got the Star Wars feel.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Branthog said:

Oh, thank god! I was just thinking, the other day, how we just don't have enough crappy Star Wars and Star Trek games in the world. Boy, glad someone was listening to me! :)

While Obsidian certainly doesn't make the most mechanically sound or stable games, you have to admit that they've had a serious run of bad luck with shitty support from publishers.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Branthog

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Branthog said:

While Obsidian certainly doesn't make the most mechanically sound or stable games, you have to admit that they've had a serious run of bad luck with shitty support from publishers.

I like Obsidian. I just don't have any desire for yet another Star Wars game. I mean, jesus, Star Wars is bordering on being the suffocating partner in a relationship who just will never go away long enough for you to miss them or appreciate their company. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Id give my left nutt for Kotor 3.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Branthog said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Branthog said:

I like Obsidian. I just don't have any desire for yet another Star Wars game. I mean, jesus, Star Wars is bordering on being the suffocating partner in a relationship who just will never go away long enough for you to miss them or appreciate their company. :)

Don't think of it as Star Wars, think of it as another Sci-Fi RPG from Obsidian. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Branthog said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Branthog said:

Has there been that much Star Wars stuff released in the last few years? I mean, beside The Old Republic, I'm struggling to think of the last title.

I'm on a bit of a Star Wars binge at the moment, too, so I'm genuinely curious.

Regardless, as one of my favourite developers (yes, their games are buggy, but they are almost always trying to push the envelope), I am totally on board for another Obsidian RPG - especially in the Star Wars universe.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By endaround

There has been a bunch of Clone Wars stuff (and the reason most likely Obsidian could not get anything during that period because Clone Wars is making large amounts of money) and some Lego titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Obsidian is constantly out there. All the failed game ideas they've had are completely crazy. All the pitches that got turned down, or got cancelled after a prototype

If they want to follow their successful brethren at BioWare, they would start their own scifi franchise to go with their new fantasy franchise.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By abendlaender

YES! YES! YES!

All of this!

chibi_kaji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By chibi_kaji
@GetEveryone said:

@Branthog said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Branthog said:

Has there been that much Star Wars stuff released in the last few years? I mean, beside The Old Republic, I'm struggling to think of the last title.

I'm on a bit of a Star Wars binge at the moment, too, so I'm genuinely curious.

Regardless, as one of my favourite developers (yes, their games are buggy, but they are almost always trying to push the envelope), I am totally on board for another Obsidian RPG - especially in the Star Wars universe.

There was a Lego Star Wars 3 and I think some other online game based off the cartoon.  

I would be extremely happy if this became a thing.