Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 41

#51  Edited By Eep
@MattyFTM said:

" @TinoXtreme said:

" It's been almost 56 hours and still my wiki submission is pending? Will they ever see it?  "
I'm just getting onto the wiki queue now, so I should deal with your submissions fairly soon. Remember all of us mods are volunteers who have work or are in full time education. While we try to keep the wiki queue under 24 hours, we sometimes get busy & the wiki queue can grow. "
 Well you could always lower the amount of points needed before pages can be created without approval...
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Eep said:
" @MattyFTM said:

" @TinoXtreme said:

" It's been almost 56 hours and still my wiki submission is pending? Will they ever see it?  "
I'm just getting onto the wiki queue now, so I should deal with your submissions fairly soon. Remember all of us mods are volunteers who have work or are in full time education. While we try to keep the wiki queue under 24 hours, we sometimes get busy & the wiki queue can grow. "
 Well you could always lower the amount of points needed before pages can be created without approval... "
Well we (i.e. the mods) couldn't do that. That would have to be done by the staff. And the 5k points value exists for a reason. We don't want people creating pages until they have a good amount of experience with the wiki. And the wiki queue rarely gets too full to handle these days. The majority of the posts in this thread are from the days immediately after the site launch, and thousands upon thousands of submissions were going into the queue. These days it's a rarity for the wiki queue to get too long, and when it does it's not because of too many submissions, but merely because we happen to have been busy over the past few days. Occasionally a few submissions get left in the queue while the moderators discuss issues with them, but generally the wiki queue is under control.
Eep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Eep

Well, according to posts in this thread, submissions were still there after 2+ days, and I have some that are going on 2.5 days (which is how I found this thread) so either the queue is getting backed up or there's a lot of discussion going on whether or not to add--wait for it--particle effects. Yes, particle effects--perhaps the most common effect in today's games is being debated on its inclusion into GB. Come on...give me a break... Oh and smoke should still be added too since not all games have it...but, no, my submission was rejected... <eye roll>

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By c1337us

Awh. That's so terrible.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Eep:  There is one post in this thread (apart from yours) that mentions submissions being in the queue for 2+ days relatively recently. All the other posts are from when the site first launched and thousands upon thousands of submissions had to be dealt with. The very first posts in this thread are probably even before we had a team of moderators to deal with the wiki queue. When the small group of staff were trying to deal with huge amounts of submissions. The situation is nothing like that anymore. 

For submissions taking longer these days - sometimes real life happens, and we aren't able to deal with submissions as much as we would like because some of us dealing with non-internet based issues. Sometimes the moderators need to discuss some submissions - and since we're all from different parts of the world, and are online at different times of the day, these discussions can take a while before we get a decent amount of input. There are plenty of reasons why submissions can take longer than we would like. We like to see submissions approved as quickly as possible too, but sometimes it just doesn't work out like that.

I apologise for the length of time your submissions are taking. We will get to them as soon as possible.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By mike
@Eep said:

" Well, according to posts in this thread, submissions were still there after 2+ days, and I have some that are going on 2.5 days (which is how I found this thread) so either the queue is getting backed up or there's a lot of discussion going on whether or not to add--wait for it--particle effects. Yes, particle effects--perhaps the most common effect in today's games is being debated on its inclusion into GB. Come on...give me a break... Oh and smoke should still be added too since not all games have it...but, no, my submission was rejected... <eye roll> "

Many of your pages are pending or will soon be rejected due to improper capitalization and formatting, such as adding (thing) in parentheses after the object name. That's not how we do things here, but I'm sure you're aware of that by now because of the various discussions you're having with other moderators on the topic.
Eep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Eep

Improper capitaliation? Oh please. Some of my submissions' capitalization was changed anyway (even though I still think everything but proper names should be lowercase). Don't be spiteful now, MB...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By mike
@Eep: No spite intended, I'm simply informing you of what is going on with your submissions. The mods are trying to decide whether to edit the titles of your pending pages manually, or deny them outright and allow you to resubmit them in the proper Giant Bomb format.
Eep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Eep

I've already had some all-lowercase submissions accepted. What's the big deal about keeping non-proper nouns lowercase? Surely you can see the benefit of this with so many character names having common object/concept names...

Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Joseppie
@Eep: It's simply the format that we use. We prefer to stick to a style used most often for titles in writing. The first and last words, along with all nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, & adjectives, are capitalized. All articles, coordinating conjunctions, & prepositions are lowercase unless they are the first or last words. 

We like this style and it has been handed down from the top, so we use it. 
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By rallier
@Joseppie: Jeff should really finish his " guide to style", with it the discussion here would not even happened.
Sinatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By Sinatra

Well I guess that I am lucky since that most of my submissions get accepted, I only had a few get rejected. 

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#63  Edited By Daryl

If you're getting depressed over something like this you need some help.

Eep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Eep
@Joseppie said:
" @Eep: It's simply the format that we use. We prefer to stick to a style used most often for titles in writing. The first and last words, along with all nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, & adjectives, are capitalized. All articles, coordinating conjunctions, & prepositions are lowercase unless they are the first or last words.  We like this style and it has been handed down from the top, so we use it.  "
How can you like a style that makes finding things even more confusing? Do you even USE this site very much? No offense, but the design/interface needs a LOT of work. Programmers don't tend to have a lot of practical experience with actually USING what they create, which is why it takes bottom-up feedback to overthrow top-down dictatorial mentality. ;)