Peter Molyneux: Is Call of Duty really it?

• 66 results
sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sthusby

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/16924/molyneux-is-call-of-duty-really-it-then-just-shift-me-off-to-the-mental-asylum-now

You just gotta love this man. Even though some people claim he speaks to passionatly about his games, I've always enjoyed both his work and his interviews. And he's spot on in that article. As Klepek would say, it's worth reading.

Sidebar: Had a gamedraught the other day, so I decided to play one of my favorite games this generation, namely Fable 2. And I just have to say, that game holds up really well! It has gorgeous artistic vision, fantastic gameplay, and is just plain fun! That game alone should be enough to declare this man a gaming god. Just a shame Fable 3 ruined so much of what makes a Fable game tick.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Am I the only person who likes Fable III better than its predecessor?

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Bwast

@Video_Game_King said:

How many times do I have to read a variation of that question? Am I the only one sick of it?!

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sthusby

@Bwast said:

@Video_Game_King said:

How many times do I have to read a variation of that question? Am I the only one sick of it?!

Am I the only one who wants to stay on topid?

No Caption Provided
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Dagbiker

I hated Fable 2.

Also i agree with Mlxnue, I got board of FPS's a couple of years ago, i own 3 FPS'. Call of Duty 4, Deus EX, and Metal of Honor.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Eaxis

Best thing from Peter Molyneux in a while.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Bwast

@sthusby: Jacking threads makes me feel alive.

It's a pretty inconsequential interview. Three quotes saying the most obvious stuff in the world. Games should innovate, not imitate.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

He's right to care for the gamer's needs and I understand his concern, but he's not correct in saying we need Kinect.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeeGee

@Bwast said:

Jacking off makes me feel alive.

I fixed your post for you.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

@DeeGee said:

@Bwast said:

Misquoting posts makes me feel alive.

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By sanchopanza

@NTM said:

He's right to care for the gamer's needs and I understand his concern, but he's not correct in saying we need Kinect.

Yep, I have one and it is a pile of crap.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Nasar7

Holds up really well? Fable II came out like yesterday.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

I actually really like Molyneux. I realize that what he wants his games to be like in his "vision" can end up turning out different but that's not his fault. He can't code and create the art and mechanics and do everything for a game all by himself. If he could, that would be one hell of a game that took forever to make.

Even during the creation of Fable: The Journey he was knocking Kinect. He has since taken it back, but most likely due to pressure from Microsoft. I believe his stance is now something like "I can't imagine developing on something other than Kinect", but what else can you say when your major investor and boss created the Kinect.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to the future of what Lionhead brings, I love Fable and I think Heroes could be really great. The videos so far seem to depict a very simplistic game but they're obviously very early.

And I agree with you, Fable 2 is such a great game. I also loved Fable 3, but I don't think it holds the same spot as 2 for me. I thought the first game was the weakest in the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take a viewpoint your audience will most likely agree with and then use it to try and sell them something made by the company that pays your wages.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#15  Edited By alistercat

@Video_Game_King said:

Never, ever, ever.

That said, I really enjoyed Fable 3 a lot. Probably a lot more than two, so I am right there with you. I think Brad, Jeff and Vinny had their experiences soured by the way the ending plays out but it was a completely non issue for me. I had racked up insane amounts of gold before the end. I really enjoyed the art (post processing gave it a huge edge over Fable 2) and felt much bigger in scope.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sthusby

@AlisterCat said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Never, ever, ever.

That said, I really enjoyed Fable 3 a lot. Probably a lot more than two, so I am right there with you. I think Brad, Jeff and Vinny had their experiences soured by the way the ending plays out but it was a completely non issue for me. I had racked up insane amounts of gold before the end. I really enjoyed the art (post processing gave it a huge edge over Fable 2) and felt much bigger in scope.

It just lacked the soul from Fable 2. Try going to Bower Lake or Oakfield and watch the sunset, or spend a night in Bowerstone Old Town or Bloodstone! It just feels so alive, and so endearing. It's hard not to love a game that loves you so much in return. The opening sequence of Fable 2 is perhaps the single most atmospheric moment I have ever had in a video game. Bowerstone in wintertime is just a delight!

Personally I felt that Fable 3 had a poor story, visually it lacked the flare of 2 and was much for gray and filtered. On top of that the combat was just so slow and clunky compared to 2. And the levelling system in 3 is just awful. I missed those shiny little orbs! And don't even get me started on how incoherrent that world felt. Yuck, I just really don't like much about Fable 3. Also, way worse selection when it came to clothing and stuff like that.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By buzz_killington

I love Molyneux. He the best.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Tennmuerti

Having no previous experience with previous Fable games, I played Fable 3...
(couse people seemed to talk a lot about that series and 3 came out on PC)
It was disgusting. Like playing an apex of consolisation of rpgs. A nighmare come to life. Everything i hope gaming never to be. A shallow puddle of a game. I experienced actual physical repulsion towards that that game after finishing it.
So dear Peter can keep talking up his own ass for now as far as I'm concerned.

hmmm... i guess I never let my feelings for that game be known and they just came bubbling out now for some reason.
sorry duders, sometimes when you're really sleepy (like a bunch) verbal diharea floodgates tend to open up, kind of like when youre drunk
oh well, off my chest

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

Yes. Out of seven billion people on this Earth, you are the only one who likes Fable 3 better than its predecessor. No one else does.

On topic, I both like Call of Duty and have a strong distaste for motion controls of any sort, especially Kinect. Do I agree that the industry needs an injection of creativity? Yes! Definitely! Do I think that Kinect and other motion controls are the way to go? Hell no! Never!

I don't like motion controls. The Wii has some fun games, but look how limited it is in terms of buttons to press. Kinect's Steel Batallion could be fun, but one decent game could hardly get me to buy into it. Even Steel Batallion, the GB crew said, had to use the controller.

To wrap this up before I begin rambling, I'm very wary of any controller that isn't a traditional controller or M+K.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Yes. Out of seven billion people on this Earth, you are the only one who likes Fable 3 better than its predecessor.

But I'm not on Earth :|.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Yes. Out of seven billion people on this Earth, you are the only one who likes Fable 3 better than its predecessor.

But I'm not on Earth :|.

Out of seven billion known sentient beings in the universe, you're the only one that likes Fable 3 better than it's predecessor.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258:

There are more out there, you know. Try the neighborhood of 32.4 trillion.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258:

There are more out there, you know. Try the neighborhood of 32.4 trillion.

Out of 32.4 trillion sentient beings, you are the only... ah, fuck it. You're never the only goddamn one.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaptainCody

Why wouldn't fable II hold up? It's a game that's from this generation. Saying a game still holds up is one of the dumbest points people can make about a game.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By yoshimitz707

@Video_Game_King said:

Don't worry. I like the first Fable the most.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I didn't think Fable II was all that great. Didn't bother playing the third one.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Even though I just disregard whenever he hypes something up, Molyneux's voice is pretty soothing sometimes.

He should read bedtime stories or something.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By QuistisTrepe

"We're doing the same thing that Hollywood's doing with action movies. We're inventing a formula, and we're repeating it over and over again, and we're grabbing every penny from our consumers and not bothering to think about something different. And they're the people that need something different."

Hey Petey, at least they can actually stick to a formula and properly execute it.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WMWA

Dude...I am playing through Fable 2 for the first time right now, and I'm sorry, that is your nostalgia talking. The controls are fucking dreadful. Love the art and the humor, but damn the controls and combat feel so clunky and borderline broken.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Jeust

@Video_Game_King said:

No. I also loved much more Fable III.

I also agree with the man. I personally think along the lines of Tim Schaefer when he says "games should be about wish fulfillment. If you're wishing about stuff that's real your imagination is dead.".

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By breton

"We're inventing a formula, and we're repeating it over and over again, and we're grabbing every penny from our consumers and not bothering to think about something different."

"Lionhead are currently working on XBLA exclusive Fable Heroes, along with Fable: The Journey"

.... Was this intentional?

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Grimluck343

@QuistisTrepe said:

"We're doing the same thing that Hollywood's doing with action movies. We're inventing a formula, and we're repeating it over and over again, and we're grabbing every penny from our consumers and not bothering to think about something different. And they're the people that need something different."

Hey Petey, at least they can actually stick to a formula and properly execute it.

Sick burn. I always get a strong sense of jealousy when other developers resort to bashing CoD.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33  Edited By JasonR86

What are people, and in turn representatives from companies selling products to those people, going to hate when Call of Duty isn't around?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@JasonR86 said:

What are people, and in turn representatives from companies selling products to those people, going to hate when Call of Duty isn't around?

The next super popular franchise to pop up.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@JasonR86 said:

There will always be shooters, and bashing shooters makes me feel oh so superior to everyone else.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ventilaator

I'd rather play nothing but Call of Duty until the day I die (I don't like Call of Duty) than Fable III again.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Peter stop talking about other people's games and get back to work on Black & White 3.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sthusby

@CaptainCody said:

Why wouldn't fable II hold up? It's a game that's from this generation. Saying a game still holds up is one of the dumbest points people can make about a game.

Are you insane in the membrane, insane in the brain? Do you for instance think that Oblivion or Gun holds up? Those games are from this generation, and they're fucking dreadful to play today. It's 4 years since Fable 2 came out, that's a pretty long time, certainly long enough to age poorly. Luckily it hasn't. It's like a good wine, it just gets better with every year that passes.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Christoffer

Spooky enough I just read about The Peter Principle on HowStuffWorks.com. It's a ("humorous") theory of how employees climb to positions they have absolutely no competence in due to a stiff pyramid-like systems of internal promotion.

There's also an extended theory of this by a man called Nitin Borwankar who writes about "The Peter Principle of Innovation" in an essay. It pretty much says exactly what Peter Molyneux talks about here. Off course it has nothing to do with Peter Molynex, I just found it funny.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/peter-principle2.htm

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CheapPoison

Although i agree with him. He himself hasn't really delivered in my book. Empty promises.

Then again i guess you can't blame a guy for aiming high, but i just feel he just says those things to create buzz. Although who am i to say he doesn't believe in the things he says.

Also, i am still sore about not getting B.C. released.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Winternet

If only Peter was as good at making games as he is doing interviews.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sthusby

@wmaustin55 said:

Dude...I am playing through Fable 2 for the first time right now, and I'm sorry, that is your nostalgia talking. The controls are fucking dreadful. Love the art and the humor, but damn the controls and combat feel so clunky and borderline broken.

Nope, the combat is super fast and fluid. Probably the best combat in any RPG. Well, in my book anyways. In the case of Fable 2, less is more when it comes to combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they need to retire Molyneux, he haven't made a good game in years, since Black & White 2 or the first Fable?

He's just mad that Activision is making mad cash on Call of Duty, while he can't improve his own games and make them sell gangbusters...

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Stete
No Caption Provided
therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By therabidfrog

Aren't we missing the obvious point that Call of Duty gets away with remaking the same game every year because people keep buying it? It's not like the video game industry is the only market entity not driven by demand. Blame the players not the game.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ramone

I hate Peter Molyneux with a burning passion and if he thinks that Kinect is the future of video games I think the mental asylum would be an appropriate place for him to go.

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kogasu

What he says is so true, to me. It's just the same thing over and over again. Though, I feel I'm being a bit of a hypocrite. I was never really into FPSs in the first place but if it was a game genre I actually liked being made over and over again, I probably wouldn't complain. Either way, I'm glad somebody's thinking of the "Core gamers", but the Kinect needs to die off. Motion controls will never replace a controller for me. That being said, ironically, Fable: The Journey is the only game I've seen that I would remotely want to TRY.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CaptainCody

@sthusby said:

@CaptainCody said:

Are you insane in the membrane, insane in the brain? Do you for instance think that Oblivion or Gun holds up? Those games are from this generation, and they're fucking dreadful to play today. It's 4 years since Fable 2 came out, that's a pretty long time, certainly long enough to age poorly. Luckily it hasn't. It's like a good wine, it just gets better with every year that passes.

You sound like you're 12 and don't comprehend that people still play older games. I played Oblivion last year and it still proved to be one of the best games I have ever played and far better than Skyrim, maybe you should get over graphics.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sthusby

@CaptainCody said:

@sthusby said:

@CaptainCody said:

You sound like you're 12 and don't comprehend that people still play older games. I played Oblivion last year and it still proved to be one of the best games I have ever played and far better than Skyrim, maybe you should get over graphics.

The only twelve year old has to be the one who thinks fucking Oblivion is better than Skyrim. Oblivion is the worst installment of the modern-day ES-series. It's hard to choose between Morrowind or Skyrim. But you certainly have to be pretty hard headed to not acknowledge that a game from early this generation can have aged poorly. For instance, 4 year from now Fable 3 will have aged poorly, because that it hasn't got the beautiful artistic vision that Fable 2 had.

And how about Gun, AC1, Motorstorm, Resistance, Halo 3, Rainbow Six: Vegas? All those are games that could just as well have stayed on last-gen consoles, because MAN do they feel dated today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

While I agree with him on not putting out the same crap every year to appease the brodudes is a good idea, I don't think the answer is Kinect in it's current state. Besides, making the point that the industry needs more innovation is pretty much redundant by now.