AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AMyggen

According to The Wall Street Journal.

To put some perspective on how much money can be made by the biggest Youtube Let's Players (most of that $4m is profit). It also helps to show why game companies seem desperate to get a piece of the pie. I knew PewDiePie was by far the biggest Let's Player out there and that he made a bunch of money, but holy crap!

Source

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Prepare for ressentiment in 3, 2, 1.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

deadshot_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not just "lets player" but isn't he the biggest thing on youtube in general? the one with the most subscribers.

I generally don't find his shit funny, except for some of the early happy wheels stuff.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that guy can make his nut playing video games on the internet, then fair ball.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By FinalDasa

I wonder how much of that he gets. Generated and earned are very different things.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman
No Caption Provided

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AMyggen

@tothenines: He is. And the let's play model makes it easy to put out daily videos, which is just money in the bank. He also still keeps pretty strictly to the max 10 minutes long videos rule, which is a good way to get even more ad revenue.

I don't care for his act myself, but I don't really mind him. I'm not his target audience at all, tweens are, and that's fine. The whole "rape joke" thing he does (or used to do? Heard he has toned that shit down) is a bit unfortunate though. He has also raised a bunch of money for charity etc.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

What a world, man.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Well to my knowledge there are a lot of 12 year olds on the internet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't find his stuff entertaining in the slightest, but good on him for finding a way to make a living(and then some) doing something he enjoys.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All the best for him. I don't watch his videos. I actually despise them. But they bring entertainment to others, so who am I to say he shouldn't make the money he does?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: Well, the article says that most of it is pure profit. I'm sure his Youtube network takes a cut, but other than that it's my understanding that he works without a big team. So I'm guessing it's a substantial part of that $4m.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@video_game_king: Interesting diction.

Again, wouldn't it be interesting if Pewdiepie formed a religious cult (like, even more of one)?

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp glad he is someone who likes him

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't find this number that impressive considering he has the biggest youtube channel overall, not just in gaming. If the biggest channel on the 3rd most popular website in the world generates 4 million it doesn't sound like that much.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bananas. Not a fan but hey good for him for makin it work.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for him I guess. Honestly I wouldn't have been surprised if it was more.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He's really hit or miss. Some of his stuff is hilarious, and some of it is grating. However as a person, he's a great guy, and the shows he does with his girlfriend are often really funny or touching etc...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean don't get me wrong I watch a very specific slice of stuff in the same ballpark but not him, he is just screechy and awful most of the time. People like our resident Hamst3r who does The Hamster Alliance he has great Let's Plays and some kickass music to boot. Witty and informative is a much better combo than what I think Pewdie offers, he is for a much younger demographic imo.

Achaemenid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His "humor" is really horrible but don't go worrying about the decline of humanity just yet, his audience consists basically entirely of children, who don't have the most discriminating tastes.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still wondering when the google ads bubble will burst, but I guess at this point it never will.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This makes me sad. That enough people would watch him that he would make that much money...

Ugh.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely feels like I wasted 4 years in college and can't get a single interview while he plays video games in the internet and talks like a retard all day.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a world we live in, right? Shit man, we need to stumble on to the next big thing. Come on duder think tank, let's make some money!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insane_shadowblade85: GB community naked digital calender? I just need to hit the gym for about three years first to get in shape!

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a world we live in, right? Shit man, we need to stumble on to the next big thing. Come on duder think tank, let's make some money!

Let's review a game while we're angry- oh wait...

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

Definitely feels like I wasted 4 years in college and can't get a single interview while he plays video games in the internet and talks like a retard all day.

You have to relate to the majority of your audience. It's Youtube, friend.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And to think he only really began to blow up in 2012. It's kind of inspiring in a way. Proof that it's never to late to start something, even if what you're doing has been done a million times before.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

4 mil eh? that's gotta make someone who earns a normal wage in the games industry covering games for years pretty irritated i guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good on him. I know there a huge trend to hate him, but he's harmless and making a great living doing something he seems to enjoy.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stryker1121

I'm outside his target audience by a good stretch but followed him for awhile. His LP of Walking Dead S1 is quite enjoyable..funny and he tones done the screechy spasticity a shade. Thought I read he has more followers on YT than Miley Cyrus (or maybe Lady Gaga)...crazy!

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamebomb.ru had the right idea!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

More power to him. Don't like his stuff one bit, but hey people like dumb stuff. If people want to give him views for acting the fool, I can't blame him for taking it.

Hope he does something actually productive with the money .

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

A generation of no talent making millions while people are starving left and right just dont make sense to me.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EthanielRain

I'm jealous and full of anger right now.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xolare said:

Well to my knowledge there are a lot of 12 year olds on the internet.

This. In the world of the internet, where eyeballs are ad revenue, all you need to do is get clicks. Entertainment has changed and you don't need money to buy it anymore. As long as they can click, they are income.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PewDiePie has certain things working heavily in his favour to get the money he gets out of this.
1. PewDiePie is a Swede that now lives in Italy (I think). When it comes to Youtube and regional promotion, he gets promoted in a pretty wide region.
2. If you reach a certain viewer count, the Youtube machine just takes over and promotes the hell out of you without any input on your own part. Notice how PewDiePie videos are nearly always on the front page of Youtube? He doesn't pay for that.
3. His videos are designed to maximize revenue. They're not something heavily edited in the vein of CorridorDigital or Jontron, but rather short 10 minutes clips of literally just him playing video games. This lets him output more videos, which then leads to more advertising exposure.

He does some stuff for charity and is apparently a pretty nice guy in person, but I personally hate his content.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never watched a video of his to be honest. I'd like to make money playing video games though.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm not about to click another one of those types of youtube shows if it is what I think it is (a 20 something who looks and dresses 12, pretends to be funny, laughs at his own jokes, makes nothing but pop culture controversy of the week references to boost clicks, for example todays video would have the words Tracy Morgan in the title for no reason, along with a thumbnail of giant breasts, and makes a bunch of annoying noises with no shot that lasts more than a third of a second because you tubers can't read a full sentence without needing to cut 100 "umms" and "okay so"s) . Like "Fred", Shane Something, the crying Britney Spears tranny etc. am I correct? No need to ever see another one of those.

Anyways, child stars like that blow all their money on drugs and rental Ferraris by the time they're 30, and at least BEING Edward Furlong or Mulcaly Culkin is something to be proud of, and to cash in on later in life. Temporarily possessing 4 million dollars until your 30 ain't worth the shame that in 13 billion years of organic life and all mankind has accomplished, your brain cells and rational thought brought into existence just one of ten thousand annoying teen brat click bait unfunny youtube channels.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Judakel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Judakel

Let gamer culture burn.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@me3639 said:

A generation of no talent making millions while people are starving left and right just dont make sense to me.

I'm pretty sure this kind of stuff has been going on WAY before Pewdiepie was even born.

I'm not about to click another one of those types of youtube shows if it is what I think it is (a 20 something who looks and dresses 12, pretends to be funny, laughs at his own jokes, makes nothing but pop culture controversy of the week references to boost clicks, for example todays video would have the words Tracy Morgan in the title for no reason, along with a thumbnail of giant breasts, and makes a bunch of annoying noises with no shot that lasts more than a third of a second because you tubers can't read a full sentence without needing to cut 100 "umms" and "okay so"s) . Like "Fred", Shane Something, the crying Britney Spears tranny etc. am I correct? No need to ever see another one of those.

Anyways, child stars like that blow all their money on drugs and rental Ferraris by the time they're 30, and at least BEING Edward Furlong or Mulcaly Culkin is something to be proud of, and to cash in on later in life. Temporarily possessing 4 million dollars until your 30 ain't worth the shame that in 13 billion years of organic life and all mankind has accomplished, your brain cells and rational thought brought into existence just one of ten thousand annoying teen brat click bait unfunny youtube channels.

Shame? What shame? I think there's absolutely no shame in what he does. You may find it annoying, that's fine, I think everyone over the age of 14 does, but what he's doing isn't shameful, it's damn smart. I wish I had jumped on the LP band-wagon at the same time, so I could spend my days playing video games and not having to work. I wouldn't give a shit what people think of me.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I expected the biggest thing on Youtube to make more

Good for him, in the none-youtube interviews he is nothing but positive, not like the rest of the internet

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Corevi

@random45: There were people doing LPs before Pewdiepie much better than Pewdiepie and still aren't popular in the slightest. It's about playing the right games, so only Minecraft and Amnesia and Goat Sim and shit like that. The creator of video LPs as they are known today only has 22k subs.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: There were people doing LPs before Pewdiepie much better than Pewdiepie and still aren't popular in the slightest. It's about playing the right games, so only Minecraft and Amnesia and Goat Sim and shit like that.

It was the explosion of Youtube and he was right there doing LPs when it happened. Right place right time

The chosen games helped too

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: There were people doing LPs before Pewdiepie much better than Pewdiepie and still aren't popular in the slightest. It's about playing the right games, so only Minecraft and Amnesia and Goat Sim and shit like that.

I think it's more about how you act. If you can act REALLY REALLY scared (the more over the top the better), then you'll get more views. The worst of the worst of Pewdiepie comes from when he fakes his fear while playing horror games, but I think that's the stuff his fan-base likes best. Another way to get views is to act REALLY angry at moderately difficult games, and just do shit like that. I typically like it when people don't act over the top, but these guys know it's what their core audience wants. If you actually watch a Pewdiepie video where he isn't acting like a complete idiot, it's actually pretty tolerable. Granted, now-a-days he is ALWAYS an intolerable screaming idiot, but when he was first starting out he wasn't always so bad.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: thanks for posting this, that's the FIRST thing I thought of.

But yeah..... now I'm questioning everything about my life if this guy makes it. I still prefer Giantbomb Quicklooks, since it's an extension of the site, podcast and other things they have written. Like when Jeff says "this game is odd." He will elaborate on it.