Playstation 2's last game?

kadosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By kadosho

Play magazine's year wrap up issue adorns Persona 4 on it cover. Some gaming news media sites are looking at this issue, possibly as the last time we might see a PS2 game on a gaming mag cover. What do you think? Does the PS2 still have life left it in yet to produce even more titles? (even with the PS3 floating around)

http://kotaku.com/5097767/is-this-the-last-ps2-game-magazine-cover

kadosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kadosho

Play magazine's year wrap up issue adorns Persona 4 on it cover. Some gaming news media sites are looking at this issue, possibly as the last time we might see a PS2 game on a gaming mag cover. What do you think? Does the PS2 still have life left it in yet to produce even more titles? (even with the PS3 floating around)

http://kotaku.com/5097767/is-this-the-last-ps2-game-magazine-cover

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By roushimsx

The PS2 has still got a few years left in it. Persona 4 may be one of the last big releases, but it'll be a haven for budget titles and rereleases for quite some time. The PS1 lasted a decade at retail and I fully expect the PS2 to replicate that. If it's anything like the N64, Xbox or PS1, the last game will probably be a sports game of some variety :)

edit - as far as PS2 games making the covers of magazines... hell, I'm surprised Persona 4 made it.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By kush

You never know...Persona 5 could be coming out for the PS2 as well. :P

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By brukaoru

I do think the PS2 still has life left to produce more titles, and not just multi-platform ones either. Honestly, I wouldn't be angry if the next Atlus game was on the PS2. It's easier to code for and they know the hardware already. As long as it's a solid game, which I would not expect anything less from Atlus, I don't care if they make games for a last generation console.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By zitosilva

The ps2 still has some life into it. Not anything mainstream like Persona (if it even is mainstream). But Sony recently allowed games to be released for the ps2 without having to receive their seal of approval. This means that countries like Brazil or India will be able to release their own, low cost games, in their respevtive country without having to pay any fees.
I know there won't be any difference in places like the US, Japan, Canada, etc. But it should still breath some life into the ps2. I know I'm somewhat curious to see how little developers down here will be able to produce.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By roushimsx
brukaoru said:
"Honestly, I wouldn't be angry if the next Atlus game was on the PS2. "
That and Atlus likes to publish for a lot of smaller devs that may not have the funds to develop for more recent consoles. We'll always have random other small publishers like Valcon, Zoo, NIS, XS Games, etc to rely on for more titles as well.

Now if only Valcon could get that US release of Puchi Copter 2 out :( I keep hoping that some US publisher would find it in their hearts to license a couple of those Cave shmups for US release, too.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

Madden will come out on the PS2 for the next two years at least.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By roushimsx
StaticFalconar said:
"Madden will come out on the PS2 for the next two years at least."
I've been debating picking up Madden 09 for Xbox since it's the last game to be released on the platform. Probably won't ever be worth much of anything, but it'd make a nice little conversation piece for the collection.