• 78 results
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel: and technically this discussion is pointless anyway, let me go make a prediction for most disappointing game in 2013 and we can have it there (this game is not going to be the worst game of the year, no way)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#52  Edited By Yummylee

@Hailinel said:

@Yummylee said:

@Hailinel: What does his personality have to do with this? I was correcting the ridiculous fallacy that NT Dante was based on Tameem Antoniades. Besides, as I've already mentioned in the past, it's really no different than how Reuben Langdon played a flamboyant, try-hard douchebag with crappy hair and a terrible taste in attire.

Yeah, well the original Dante's appearance is not based on Reuben Langdon, who wasn't even the voice actor for the character until Devil May Cry 3. But that's beside the point, because the original Dante is not a try-hard Douchebag. He actually makes things look pretty effortless; I mean, his nonchalance at eating pizza at the start of Devil May Cry 3 while fighting off demons is pretty demonstrable of the fact that yes, he is cocky, but he also knows what the fuck he's doing and he doesn't need to flip the bird every thirty seconds to get points across. He is a suave motherfucker, is what I am saying. New Dante is, in comparison, a relative fuckwit slapped into a game that appears to be desperate to instill the plot with political satire and mockery of Bill O'Reilly types (like that hasn't been done before?).

I know that Langdon wasn't his voice actor until DMC3, but Dante only came into his own as a character until DMC3. I'm pretty sure nobodies actually going to try and defend Dante from the first two games in any case. And when I say try-hard, I meant from an attitude perspective, especially in DMC4 where he tries to look ultra-confident and cool and, quite frankly, falls flat. Most people like Dante because he's craaazeeee (let's rock!!) and completely absurd, which is where things differ for me because his absurdity is annoying more than engaging or enthralling. Though, as I've already mentioned, I do like DMC3 Dante because Dante does have some OK one-liners strewn about here and there, and his relationship with Vergil and how Dante slowly builds from this little, cocky turd into a somewhat reluctant hero was entertaining to watch unfold.

I don't see why you're trying to make new Dante appear lost in comparison to old Dante's confidence, though. Watching him slide into his clothes when his crappy trailer's under siege by demons I would say showcases how very much in control new Dante is.

And as for the story, there's no argument to be made about how good it is. Maybe it'll be rubbish, and that would be a shame, but the actual themes seem pretty neat and it's at least helluva lot more ambitious than whatever the fuck is going on in the prior games. You can say that it's a rip-off of They Live, but then... just look at video game stories in general. So many stories are heavily inspired and overtly referencing the material which with they're based on. Rockstar games are an obvious pick, and then there's Spec Ops: The Line with its transparent Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now connotations. Just because it's heavily steeped in material that already exists doesn't mean that it's assuredly going to be bad, nor should it be ridiculed. And until the full story is out there, it's completely unwarranted to come to any solid conclusions about the quality of it all.

Also, out of pure curiosity here, but just how many 'Bill O'Reilly types' can you name that have actually been in video game stories?

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By medacris

Wait to reserve judgement until the games actually come out-- they might surprise you, or things might be very drastically changed before release.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: sorry I was tired!

my point being, it's entirely possible that dante of this game starts out as this guy you hate, and, throughout the course of the game, turns into the dante you know and... love? and it's not impossible because ninja theory showed in their previous games that they're pretty decent at story creation.

or they may not!

(I never liked OG dante anyway because he didn't have pierce and thus was useless for the fight against Lucifer in Nocturne so fuck him)

Rumors I've heard online suggest that this new Dante actually meets up with the original Dante at the end of the game.

That sounds super dumb in a bad way. I really miss DMC3 Dante. That opening scene was so great.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#55  Edited By Hailinel

@Yummylee: Not video game stories, stories in general. I've seen enough parodies of right-wingers and Fox News talking heads to last a lifetime. Ninja Theory is not breaking new ground by inserting that sort of commentary in their game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Yummylee

@Hailinel said:

@Yummylee: Not video game stories, stories in general. I've seen enough parodies of right-wingers and Fox News talking heads to last a lifetime. Ninja Theory is not breaking new ground by inserting that sort of commentary in their game.

No, but for games they are. Again, that's my point. So many video game stories are so very obviously based on themes that have already been explored in other types of media that to single out Ninja Theory is completely unfair. Hell, just look at Dante for Christ sake. There's probably plenty of characters like him in Anime. I can't bring up any examples because I don't watch any of it, but cocky demon hunter who wields a giant sword? Dante can't have been the first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Tomb Raider seems it could go way south.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#58  Edited By Hailinel

@Yummylee said:

@Hailinel said:

No, but for games they are. Again, that's my point. So many video game stories are so very obviously based on themes that have already been explored in other types of media that to single out Ninja Theory is completely unfair. Hell, just look at Dante for Christ sake. There's probably plenty of characters like him in Anime. I can't bring up any examples because I don't watch any of it, but cocky demon hunter who wields a giant sword? Dante can't have been the first.

I'm not singling Ninja Theory out here. They just happen to be the target of criticism because they're the ones making the game. For the record, I think the stories in GTA games are largely vapid and empty, doing little more than putting sociopaths in the protagonist roles of stories that are little more than pastiches of popular movies and television shows and a perverted concept of the "American dream."

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By hippie_genocide

3 pages and no Lightning Returns?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Yummylee

@Hailinel said:

@Yummylee said:

@Hailinel said:

I'm not singling Ninja Theory out here. They just happen to be the target of criticism because they're the ones making the game. For the record, I think the stories in GTA games are largely vapid and empty, doing little more than putting sociopaths in the protagonist roles of stories that are little more than pastiches of popular movies and television shows and a perverted concept of the "American dream."

OK, well what about the stories in the Yakuza games? I mean Yakuza stories in general are super-popular in Japanese cinema, and for that fact alone should the stories in the Yakuza games be ridiculed? And then there's Kiryu at that, a tough-as-nails Ex-Yakuza badass who wants to get outta the game but keeps being pulled back in -- for a girl no less, even if it's not a romantic interest but his step-daughter. Completely cliché to the core, but still entertaining and Kiryu is still a likeable protagonist, Just because there's a dozen and one Bill O'Reilly types in film and books and what have you, doesn't mean this Bill O'Reilly type will be an ineffective corporate demon villain guy nor does it make him any less of a unique antagonist in video games.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By Vonocourt

What a bitter thread.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By Zekhariah

@Hippie_Genocide said:

3 pages and no Lightning Returns?

Eh, it will still be more final fantasy, if that is what you are into.

The worst game will probably be some kind of abominable Wii U release / Nintendo system style shovelware. Although something on the next-gen consoles, if they come out this year, might measure down at that level at launch. New Kinect game maybe?

Of the major titles that are known, I would guess one of the generic shooters in the Q1/Q2 area from EA will end up being really really bad (or at least slagged for how boring they are, MOH style).

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By Milkman

I think it's hysterical that some people ever considered Dante in any of his incarnations a good character.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Walking Dead Season 2

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Mrsignerman44

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

After Telltale's masterpiece, why even bother?

RupertTheBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By RupertTheBear

Remember all those lovely movie based videogames that came out last year? Movies such as Battleship, and MIB 3. I wonder if there's any developers making Man of Steel, GI Joe Retaliation or Wolverine this year. ( Although the first Wolverine game was kinda fun imo )

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By hoossy

@ThePickle said:

Wii Fart

nah, it was a pretty good extension of Wii Music!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Sooty

I'm interested in what will happen to the Devil May Cry series if the new one flops, which I hope it does because abandoning old Dante is lame, douche or not it's an iconic character and I hate reboots for the sake of reboots.

If anything needs a reboot it's Metal Gear Solid.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mordukai

@Yummylee: My,my, my. That time of the month, huh?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Yummylee

Nice. I love how you try to deflect your stupidity with some lame ''time of the month'' insult. That is unless you were just troll-baiting all along, and frankly if you're accustomed to silly responses like that, I wouldn't put it past you.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@familyphotoshoot said:

No Caption Provided

@ahaisthisourchance:

Just kidding, it looks like total dogshit.

There's no way it'll end up being anything other than a totally solid beat 'em up (story issues aside).

You can quote me on this. Ninja Theory is a great development team.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By daiphyer

@Animasta said:

@Pr1mus said:

I see people are still mad at Dante's new look.

I will never get this.

I mean who the fuck cares? isn't the gameplay as such that you barely see his face anyway?

They are passionate fans. They care about everything.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By redbliss

It is going to be some game we havent heard about yet. Probably a motion controlled game.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By dudacles

I used to be part of this Devil May Cry fanboard that was way into exploring all aspects of DMC1 and 3, to the point where they would host tournaments about who could come up with the best combo videos and stuff. It was great. I don't think I've ever played a character action - aside from Bayonetta - that has as deep a fighting system as Devil May Cry 3 (and 4, by extension.) However, lately, that community has been flipping out over this new game for a great number of inane reasons. Team Ninja never seems to be able to please anyone, ever, with what they're doing. Frankly, I feel bad for the developer, and I sincerely hope that DmC manages to sell decently in spite of the absurd backlash. Enslaved was great, and while what I've seen of this new DmC game doesn't look like it'll be world class, it definitely won't be bad by any stretch of the imagination either. It looks solid, nothing more, nothing less.

I am surprised, therefore, that the hatred for that game seems to have carried over even on this general gaming board of a pretty major site. I just don't get why everyone seems to be out on a witch hunt for those guys. I mean, it can't be Dante's design, because Dante has always been a complete moron and walking cliché. If there's anything we can expect out of Team Ninja's game, it's that their version of Dante will end up having a bit of an arc.

So, I dunno. As one of the seemingly very few legitimately big Devil May Cry fans on the planet who do not hate DmC with every fiber of their body, I say we had all ought to withhold judgement until the game is out and we've played it.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Vonocourt said:

What a bitter thread.

True. Every game will be the worst game of the year, because nothing can please us :(

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#76  Edited By StarvingGamer

Some piece of shovelware for the Wii or WiiU.

Anyone who says otherwise clearly has no concept of what the word "worst" means.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MeierTheRed

There are too many contenders, like 90% of the Wii U games coming out, 100% of all the upcoming Kinect games. And probably 80% of the AAA titles coming this year will be shit.

Noted i didn't mention PS Move, i already count that thing as dead.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#78  Edited By SerHulse

Killzone Mercenary 'cause so far FPSs on the PSVita have been utter tripe.

My informal answer however is: one of the next-gen launch titles.