PS3/360 JRPGS - Any recomdentadions? (open to other RPGS)

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Sambambo

Hey,

I am looking for some JRPGS to play, and I have hit a snag. It seems that the ones that I dont have have VERY mixed reveiws. Games like Star Ocean, Nier and Resonance of Fate look interesting, but with split opinions.

I have:

• Final Fantasy 13
  • Infinite Undiscovery
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Enchanted Arms
  • Blue Dragon
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Tales of Vesperia

I have also played many different RPGs such as Oblivion, Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, but any recommendations are welcomed

Thanks.
Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Deeveeus

Valkryria Chronicles 
Folklore 
Dragon Age

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sambambo
@Deeveeus said:
" Valkryria Chronicles Folklore Dragon Age "
I forgot about Folklore, I loved the demo. I also have Dragon Age, should have put that on the list.

I really dislike the look of Valkryia Chronicles. I borrowed it from a friend but haven't touched it, and I doubt I will.
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bravetoaster

Resonance of Fate 

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sambambo
@Axxol said:
" Resonance of Fate 

"
I have looked at this, but it has very mixed reviews.

What would you say sets it apart from the rest?
zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By zidd

Don't forget about the PS1 classics available in the PSstore. There are quite a few square games in there.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Resonance of Fate - wonderful overlooked gem. Hands down the best combat in any RPG I've played in years, it's a little daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it's down right addictive. The story is told episodically and doesn't really make much sense (beyond each episode's goals) until the end, even then you're left to connect a few of the dots.

If you don't mind something on the shorter side/XBLA games I'd also suggest Costume Quest, and the two Penny Arcade RPGs, both use 'Mario RPG' style of turn-based-with-timed-button-prompts and both quite humorous (though in very very very different ways). Penny-Arcade sadly will never seen an ending, but it doesn't diminish how fun and funny the first two games are. Costume Quest is 'kiddy' but an absolute blast, the DLC is more of the same stuff (which isn't bad if you liked the content in the base game) so try it out before you go and buy both the game and the dlc.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Yeah, you should definitely check out Resonance of Fate. Another great one is Yakuza 3, it has tons and tons of content.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sambambo
@Zidd said:
" Don't forget about the PS1 classics available in the PSstore. There are quite a few square games in there. "
I recently bought FF7, and if it wasn't for the nostalgia I doubt I would be able to play it. Sure it is shallow, but it feels wrong playing something with such bad graphics! 

@SteamPunkJin said:
" Resonance of Fate - wonderful overlooked gem. Hands down the best combat in any RPG I've played in years, it's a little daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it's down right addictive. The story is told episodically and doesn't really make much sense (beyond each episode's goals) until the end, even then you're left to connect a few of the dots.  If you don't mind something on the shorter side/XBLA games I'd also suggest Costume Quest, and the two Penny Arcade RPGs, both use 'Mario RPG' style of turn-based-with-timed-button-prompts and both quite humorous (though in very very very different ways). Penny-Arcade sadly will never seen an ending, but it doesn't diminish how fun and funny the first two games are. Costume Quest is 'kiddy' but an absolute blast, the DLC is more of the same stuff (which isn't bad if you liked the content in the base game) so try it out before you go out and buy both. "
I couldn't play the PA games knowing that there is no ending, and I have got to a point in Costume Quest where it glitched on the fries attracting bit. I can't bring myself to start the game again yet!

Resonance of Fate has popped up before, and I was interested in it, so I guess that could be my next purchase!
zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By zidd
@SuperSambo: While its true that early 3D graphics don't age gracefully (there are probably more polygons making up Lightings hand than there are on the entire screen at once in FF7) The gameplay experience should still work out pretty well. Maybe Legend of Mana (Coming to US PSN this afternoon) will have aged better since its 16bit sprites if graphics are an issue.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel
@Zidd said:
" Maybe Legend of Mana (Coming to US PSN this afternoon) will have aged better since its 16bit sprites if graphics are an issue. "
OH SHIT!
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By monetarydread

I know it isn't somehting you are looking for, yet all the good JRPG's this generations have been on PSP, with some good remakes also appearing on DS.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aetheldod

Folklore aint no RPG .....

Well another awesome old gem is Xenogears , I highly recommend it or there's also Vagrant Story (both are on PSN) , I would suggest Dragon Age 2 , which I am having a blast and all that hated around it is undeserved (maybe perhaps the slight over repetition of the cave dungeons , but it is not as bad as people make it sound). There Demon souls but that one is more action RPG than standard JRPG. There is Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas (if you liked Oblivion).

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By crusader8463

Pop open an emulator and play some old SNES and PSX games you never got around to. I have been dying to play some Breath of Fire recently, but I can't find it any where. 

I think I'm going to start in on the Disgaea series now that the 2nd one has come in the mail and I now have all 3 of them sitting on my shelf. Man I'm going to be mad if I end up not liking that series, after spending $100+ buying all the games. Give that a shot if you have yet to.

I have yet to play it so I can't say if it's good or not, it looks good though, Spectral Force 3 (360). It has mixed reviews, but I watched some videos and it looked fun enough. 

Can't really think of anything that hasn't been mentioned. I have been wanting to play Nier, but I always miss it when it goes on sale. It was on sale for $5 at one point, but I missed it. 

You could always try the Yakuza series. Though if I recall correctly it's more of a brawler then an RPG.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Juno500

I think I'm gonna have to go against the crowd a bit with Resonance of Fate. 15-20 hours into the game, I thought it was one of the best RPGs of last year, but by chapter 13 I had lost all interest.

It's enjoyable, but I thought it got kind of old towards the end. Having to constantly walk from one end of the world map to another is tedious, and it's plagued by random battles that take way too long, yet are boring and unchallenging.

The game is excellent during tough fights, but once you get a hang of the battle system it just gets kind of easy, and very few fights are challenging. There's also a bunch of really annoying points where you don't have your full party with you, and that really killed it for me.

There aren't really many good JRPGs for consoles this generation. You'd have better luck getting one on a portable system or downloading a PS1 game from PSN.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru

Folklore can be pretty fun, but I sorta burned myself out on it by playing the two characters chapters directly after one another while trying to unlock all the different folks karma (i.e. I was grinding a lot). I finished the game eventually but ended up kinda hating it.

If you're gonna play it I suggest you play one character's story at a time (After which you can play their combined ending) as well as keep the grinding to a minimum, since it really isn't all that neccesary anyway.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By IBurningStar
@SuperSambo said:
" @Deeveeus said:
I forgot about Folklore, I loved the demo. I also have Dragon Age, should have put that on the list.  I really dislike the look of Valkryia Chronicles. I borrowed it from a friend but haven't touched it, and I doubt I will. "

You aren't going to play one of the best and most unique games on the PS3 because you don't like the look of it? Really? Your lose, man.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sambambo
@IBurningStar said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" @Deeveeus said:
I forgot about Folklore, I loved the demo. I also have Dragon Age, should have put that on the list.  I really dislike the look of Valkryia Chronicles. I borrowed it from a friend but haven't touched it, and I doubt I will. "
 You aren't going to play one of the best and most unique games on the PS3 because you don't like the look of it? Really? Your lose, man. "
I played the demo and everything about it annoyed me.