PS3's YLOD - What should I do?

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By crazyleaves

My 2nd gen PS3 just gave me the light this morning, it might as well have been the finger. I was wondering what the Duders have done in the same situation, to help me make a decision.  

1 - Go get a new 160gig Slim for $299.99. I got credit at Sears; No interest for a year! 
2 - Send it to Sony for the $150.00 refurb/fix. 3 week wait, maybe longer cause the holidays. 
3 - Have it fixed locally for about $100.00. Dude said it would take 2 hours, 90 day guarantee only on the work he did. 

Keep in mind that my PS3 is my media center as well. No cable here, just Netflix, local channels and dubious downloads. I'm leaning towards just getting a new one, but any feedback and/or horror stories from you folks would be great. Thanks!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

I say you either go for 1 or 2, 100 bucks for a fix is too much imo(especially considering it usually doesn't last long, it would probably fail you again after those 90 days), additionally you can try and fix it yourself with the huge amount of tutorial videos available on youtube.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Number 1. Get a 320 GB, even! 

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crazyleaves

I was going to get an xbox this Holiday, but this happened. I have like 30 PSN games and about 15 discs and I am not made of money. 

edit: plus my 20 blu-rays :P

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zonerover
@crazyleaves: You could probably sell your broken PS3 on eBay for parts and hand the risk of fixing it to someone who knows what they're doing. Plus you could use that money to do #1
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By subject2change

If you are technically capable, meaning you have built computers or taking apart a laptop; try it yourself. Google the gliksy method.

Having it done local is another option, I did that and while it only worked for a month and then after re-repair another month; it allowed me to back up my save files. If you have a system with BC i'd say you should send it to Sony. After the 2nd failure of my 80GB MGS4 system, I sent it to Sony. Box came within 3 days, sent back and had it back within a week or so. I've been sort of stressing it out to see how long it will last again as they sent me a refurb; which is in great condition.

Someone in another similar thread was saying there self-fixed has been running well for 4 months now, if mine fails again im gonna do it myself this time around for the experience.

If you sell your busted PS3 you are likely only to get around 100 bucks at best.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SomeJerk

You're in a painful situation with the holidays and having it as your only entertainment, what people usually do is turn it in for a refurb and sell that and use the money for a Slim :/

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crazyleaves
@somejerk said:
" You're in a painful situation with the holidays and having it as your only entertainment, what people usually do is turn it in for a refurb and sell that and use the money for a Slim :/ "
That's a great idea never thought of that, thanks.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By subject2change

You are spending 180 to sell it for like 200 tops. Check out the prices of older model ps3s, they went down significantly due to YLOD being more of a known and prevalent thing.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crazyleaves
@Subject2Change said:
" You are spending 180 to sell it for like 200 tops. Check out the prices of older model ps3s, they went down significantly due to YLOD being more of a known and prevalent thing. "
Yeah, I was just looking around. Might try and fix it myself after I get a new one at least. Or I might sell as is for parts. Anybody know if you can get the data off the hd? My buddy, who does PC repair is gonna give it a go. Wonderin' if you guys have any tips. Might post in Tested if nothin' turns up here. :P
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By subject2change

Only way to get the data off is using the PS3 backup utility. Even then everything won't get copied over to the new machine, I lost all my PS1/PS2 save files and only restored my PS3 saves. Trophys will be there if you synced often. If you have a buddy that fixes PCs he might be able to do the fix for your PS3, after its fixed backup and sell it off if you want.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FritzDude

Doesn't Sony have an extended varanty on YLOD?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By defaulttag
@crazyleaves: i got the YLOD back in July. i used the gilksy method on my Fat 80GB backwards compatible PS3. YLOD free since august. materials: heat gun (30 bucks on amazon) and arctic silver thermal paste (6 bucks on amazon). assuming you already have a philips screw driver and a small flathead screw driver to open the the PS3 with. PS3 still works perfectly fine. youtube search gilksy (for his YLOD repair video)
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ch13696

I would say either 2 or 3. All depending what kind of warranty you have with Sony. If you don't have a warranty then avoid the extra $50 and have someone local fix it. At least they can give you a 90 day warranty. YLoD are pretty rare too. So if he fixes it right then it won't happen again.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By subject2change

YLOD aren't rare anymore; most 60gigs and 80gigs with software BS are prone to it. Especially if you use it fairly often. I had mine 6 inches from the wall and often dusted it and still got it. There is no extended warranty on it, my system was a little over 2 years old and they wanted the 180 for it. While it's not as bad as the RRoD, at least MS knew of their mistake and was giving extended warranty on it.

skunkdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By skunkdragon

My PS3 has died 3 times last one was the final straw, so got a slim xbox. Still miss my PS3 and the unspent £20 on my account "sigh"
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Throw it in the trash & get yourself a new Xbox 360.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Burns098356GX

$150 for a refurb/fix seems awful high, considering it shouldn't have broke in the first place.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

send it into sony. it is the best thing that you can do.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By halberdierv2

Depends. is it also functional as a PS2? if so, #3. if not, #1.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By defaulttag

$150 for a refurb is too much from sony. that refurb only has 90 days warranty. After that, if it breaks again, it's another $150 for another refurb. Plus you'll be forced to lose your data. Best to attempt a self-fix for roughly 40 bucks and self-labor. If a self-fix does not work, sony will still accept it despite having you opened it already (i called sony support). $150 will get you a refurb either way (attempted fix or not). The gilksy method worked wonders for my MGS4 fat 80gb as well as many others on youtube and the playstation forums. It's up to you if you're willing to watch the videos gilksy made and follow them exactly. He has a complete disassembly and repair guide via youtube as well as pdf file with pictures. 

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By p_p_o_d

my 60gb died 2 years ago then the replacment sony sent died a year after getting it.

if you have the extra cash go for a slim.    anything sony sends you or you get fixed has a higher chance of breaking later on so might aswell save yourself the bother if it breaks again. 

doesnt amazon have a buy a 160gb ps3 + free $75 credit thing going on?    jump on that if you can.   plus im sure theres other deals going on if you look. 

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crazyleaves
@Burns098356GX said:

" $150 for a refurb/fix seems awful high, considering it shouldn't have broke in the first place. "

No shit.  

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

" Throw it in the trash & get yourself a new Xbox 360. "

Are you listening?

I think I should've put a #4 up there. I am gonna try and fix it. I will report back. 
Roundtree_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Roundtree_X

This happened to me not to long  ago, had an 60 gig, if you can: get a new 160 gig slim and try to port your info over to it. I didn't back mine up so I lost all my game saves....

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Burns098356GX

If it was me, I'd wait till after Christmas and try to pick one up on boxing day, or find a sale or something on a new one.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crazyleaves
@Roundtree_X said:
" This happened to me not to long  ago, had an 60 gig, if you can: get a new 160 gig slim and try to port your info over to it. I didn't back mine up so I lost all my game saves.... "
The only way to get my saves is to fix it. Gonna try tomorrow or Thurs. @Burns098356GX said:
" If it was me, I'd wait till after Christmas and try to pick one up on boxing day, or find a sale or something on a new one. "
This will probably happen if I can't get it workin'. Although boxing day is every Sat. night in Texas.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Use the money you spend on Netflix to rent BluRays from your local video store. Use the savings to pay for a new PS3.