Ps4 controllers will not work with Ps5 games

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tp0p

Just as the title states ps4 controllers will not work with ps5 games.

First of all xbox series x supports xbox one controllers, so that's a plus.

It seems like you have to pay more for the ps5 accessories.

My question is, does any of this backwards compatibility stuff matter to you guys?

I have an xbox and I am really happy that microsoft is providing the enhanced backwards compatibilty and controller backwards compatibility.

Edit: here is the verge link https://t.co/ZY7GVXby9o?amp=1

Mr_SpaceGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ds4 will still work for backward compatible games on the ps5. But even if it didn’t I wouldn’t care. Though if the dual sense controller turns out to be really crummy or bad then I might care.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t really care about this. I’ll want new controllers anyway.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had a fancy PS4 controller, like my Xbox Pro Controller, I might be bummed out at this. I haven't seen anything in these articles on if PS5 controllers will work on PS4 games, I'd assume that's the case. But, if you're expected to swap out controllers depending on the game you're playing, that's trash and they should change that.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

That doesn't matter to me, no. That said, yes that does make it so, at least for Xbox, you won't have to buy another controller with the one you get with the system. That is unless they implement some new features on the controller. For instance, on the original Xbox One controller, you can't plug headphones into it. In terms of back compat for games, yes I want that going forward. Microsoft enhancing the games is what pushed me to the other side when before and at the start of this generation, I couldn't have cared less. Something that actually piques my interests most going into next-gen now, is how will the then last-gen games play and look? And, I really do hope developers and Sony enhances their PS4 games. I would like to see The Last of Us: Part II, without having to buy it again, be 4k, 60fps. That might not be possible, but that's just an example. Make Bloodborne 4k. Things like that.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ToughShed

You missed the funniest part: they DO work but only for PS4 games on the PS5, so its entirely a software block of some kind by Sony lol.

Yet another area Microsoft is beating them in customer friendliness right now. I honestly hope they can get humbled back to like they were at the PS4 launch so we can have two good consumer options pushing each other.

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It makes sense since the PS5 controller is actually a new design not just an improvement on the base model like the DS1-DS4 was. Sure its nice to get a new system and already have extra controllers for it but I would rather have something that's going to feel new unlike the Xbox's same old choice. I will be curios if third party will take full advantage of the DualSense controller and if something like the next Call of Duty game feels better to play on PS5 then Xbox.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ToughShed

@djredbat: honest question: what are the new features? I hadn't seen anything new to it besides a different form of rumble for anyone who cares about that. Sure it looks a little different.... basically like the Xbox controller lol.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zeik

I mean, this has been true of every generation so far, so I can't say I'm surprised? The PS1 wasn't forward compatible with the PS2. The PS2 wasn't forward compatible with the PS3. The PS3 wasn't forward compatible with the PS4.

Controller compatibility is not something I can say I ever cared too much about. It's video game backward compatability that I care about. That is the thing I want to hear a more definitive answer out of Sony about.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Since apart from the rumble /tension features it’s the same controller that is kind of a shame. Doesn’t affect me one bit but like folks that play with siblings, girlfriends/boyfriends or have friends over would normally be able to use last gen controllers for the 2nd player and now you gotta buy an extra “new” one. Especially lame if it is just a software block since I can’t imagine what the PS5 controller will do that will make it impossible to use a PS4 pad in its place. Most games have an option to turn off all sorts of rumble anyway.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By The_Nubster

It doesn't affect me too much since my PS4 is just a machine for Sony games, and that'll probably be the same for the PS5. I'm extremely fortunate to have other options for local multiplayer and online multiplayer games on PC and I have a collection of controllers from over the years that all work. For people who are only able to buy one console, though, Sony's troubingly Apple-like behaviour about their peripherals and the experience of being a prestige gamer is becoming more and more restrictive. This is a very old Sony-ass move, where they were selling grossly marked-up proprietary memory for no reason other than that they could.

@zeik You could totally use a PS1 controller on a PS2, it just lacked the pressure-sensitive face buttons so a small amount of games weren't properly compatible. This kind of compatibility is definitely an outlier, but just because something has historically sucked, doesn't mean we can't be disappointed when it continues to suck. Especially since Microsoft is being forward-thinking with this coming generation.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: PS1 controllers were absolutely forward compatible with PS2. I used my PS1 Dual Shock extensively with my PS2, and in fact that remains my only working controller for that system. And honestly, there really was no reason not to make the DS3 compatible with PS4. I use my DS3’s on PC and Switch with no issues.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't the only reason we couldn't use PS3 controllers on PS4 because of that big map button touchpad? And now it's because of ... resistive triggers? Seems like an even less valid reason. Sony really have to start treating the people that have bought into their ecosystem better.

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toughshed: It doesn't have mind bending game changing features but its something new compared to what the PS controllers have been for so long here is a vid with hands on with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMDnRhqSaA

TheHende92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's nice that Microsoft is making their controller backwards compatible with the Series X but I definitely feel like that's the exception, not the norm. As someone who for awhile now has sold my consoles to friends or Game Stop when a new generation comes around, I guess I just don't think about it. If you had a PS5 and the one controller in the box, sure it would be nice to have spare PS4 controllers around for when friends come over. I think Sony just wants people to have the new thing, the DualSense is definitely more of a departure from the previous DualShock controller mold. It could be that the software of the DualShock 4 just isn't worth the time for Sony to incorporate into the 5. As the Verge article stated, the difference between the Xbox One and Series X controllers is minuscule, and this goes hand in hand with Microsoft wanting you to able to play games on Game Pass on whatever platform you choose within their ecosystem. If the controller compatibility makes that much of a difference for you, I would stick with Xbox for this coming generation.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hansberg

I typically just assume that I'll probably need to buy new controllers anyway. While I would prefer the PS4 controllers to work on the PS5, it's not something that I ever expected would be the case.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Im not that annoyed by this, but as a user all i see is new rumble and triggers and ask why cant those be turned off/emulated and work with a DS4. If Sony came out and said "here are some under the hood reasons why this isn't happening" i would say ok and move on, but as an outsider looking in this looks like a minor software tweak, or its up to the developers decision but we are not officially supporting it situation. The sixaxis rarely got used, the touch pad rarely got used, the touch sensitive buttons on the DS2 rarely got used, so im betting these triggers rarely get used and a DS4 would work fine 99% of the time.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From where I sit, I'd rather have the option to use a DS4 than not on PS5 games. I'll be hard pressed to believe that the next Lumines, Journey, The Bunker, etc really need the features of the Dual Sense controller. Hopefully there's some wiggle room to allow devs to enable DS4 support.

Additionally, I've been using the same guitar and drums on PS3 and PS4. I really don't want to be locked out of support on PS5 if/when Rock Band 5 is released.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmm- seems like it could have been an easy win for good vibes- but if there's a corporate mandate to push devs to utilize the new controller features (something like nintendo does)- i get it.

i guess it sucks if you made big investments in accessories that are built on the DS4- but honestly for me a major reason to buy new hardware is for new controller tech. it's nice to have old stuff work with the new stuff...but that's more of a bonus than expectation for me personally.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wollywoo

This is dumb, but eh. Expected. Also, there aren't a ton of couch-multiplayer games I can think of that I'd want to play on PlayStation anyway, excepting maybe indie games. Personally, I haven't had a need for an extra controller on a Sony console since maybe PS1 or PS2. Nintendo seems to be the only one who cares much about local multiplayer.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean any way you look at it this is bad marketing. Doesn't matter how many people would actually use those DS4's on their brand new PS5's - the impression isn't great. It is pretty funny how the situation is flip flopping once again this generation where Microsoft is doing everything for the common gamer while Sony is smugly presenting you with their premiere experience that you have to buy into wholesale.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@wollywoo said:

This is dumb, but eh. Expected. Also, there aren't a ton of couch-multiplayer games I can think of that I'd want to play on PlayStation anyway, excepting maybe indie games. Personally, I haven't had a need for an extra controller on a Sony console since maybe PS1 or PS2. Nintendo seems to be the only one who cares much about local multiplayer.

For me it matters more to the people who only buy one console. The kind of person who buys multiple consoles over a generation, or who have multiple ways of playing games, are a minority. The sorts of people who play games are not represented by the sports of people who frequent a Website About Video Games(tm). I don't like that there is a segment of the audience who will be boned for their loyalty, especially considering every other competitor in the space is being more flexible.

Also, your avatar is great.

x_SammyD_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes perfect sense to me, especially with all the features they’re adding to the dual sense. PS4 controllers can still work on PS5 if you’re playing PS4 games. Meanwhile the Xbox controller isn’t updated at all so of course that will work fully with the XSX

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not hugely surprising given their strategy is all about games designed specifically for the new machine and not the hybrid method Microsoft is going for. Don't think this is going to be a big issue for most people when it actually comes to making a purchasing decision, buying new controllers with a new machine has been the standard every other generation.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I don’t know, both companies seem to be doing wildly different things. Sony is making hardware and Microsoft is making a service you can play on xbox or PC.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't even use my Switch pro controller for multiple exclusives, so something like this doesn't even make me bat an eye anymore.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Doesn't bother me too much. The main thing I'm sad about is my PS4 controller is one of those PS1-style ones and I like it a lot. But I can't say I'm surprised I won't be able to use it.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a very typical Sony move. They always do this with their products.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikewhy said:

Wasn't the only reason we couldn't use PS3 controllers on PS4 because of that big map button touchpad? And now it's because of ... resistive triggers? Seems like an even less valid reason. Sony really have to start treating the people that have bought into their ecosystem better.

The whole point of these tiny incremental upgrades is just so they can justify no BC on controllers. Sony would lose a lot of money if you could just bring your PS4 controllers right over. That's also one reason why Microsoft is allowing Xbox One controllers to work on Series X, it's a consumer friendly decision that will lose them some money, but they'd rather have the positive publicity (which is a bet on more money in the long run) than the quick and easy money of making people buy new controllers.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brackstone

This is very annoying to me for a couple reasons.

First, the new controller doesn't have any new kinds of input except a built in microphone (which I can't see being necessary), so functionally for most games, a DS4 is the exact same as a DS5, especially for third party games that won't use any of the DS5's features on any of the other platforms they appear on. I'll be able to play CoD 2021 on PC with a DS4 and it'll work exactly the same as CoD on PS5 with a DS5.

In previous generations, the kinds of inputs generally changed. From DS3 to DS4 you gained the touch pad and the sensor light, that's a big enough difference to warrant such restrictions. Nothing like that exists this time, and it's an especially bad look given that their main competitor is doing the exact opposite. No, extra feedback in the rumble and triggers is not enough to warrant arbitrarily cutting out the DS4, especially when it's already going to work from the get go because of PS4 games.

Second, the DS5 arguably has worse inputs, because it doesn't have back buttons. My DS4 has back buttons now, there is no option for DS5 back buttons as of yet, and back buttons won't even have been out for a year when the DS5 is in people's hands.

It feels like a cash grab to be honest. These are probably going to be more expensive controllers due to those fancy new feedback things, especially if back buttons are just on a more expensive pro version of a controller rather than a reasonably priced attachment.

It's not nearly as bad, but part of Sony beating microsoft so handily this gen was because the Xbox seemed like a restrictive, complicated ecosystem, while the PS4 wasn't. Xbox has swung hard in the opposite direction in order to help the brand recover, and it's worked pretty well for them so far. This is something similar, to a much lesser degree, with the positions flipped. If the PS4 backwards compatibility thing ends up being an issue for Sony, since right now it's pretty vaguely defined, it's only going to make the comparison more apt. Not to mention the rumours about online being free for Xbox.

Also just because controller compatibility isn't expected, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. Something that's common is still worth criticizing if it could be better.

EDIT: To make a clearer point, there's no reason why Sony should mandate this from the top down. DS4 functionality is built into the console, other controller types will work, there are no new inputs. Leave it in developer hands. If someone makes a game specifically for the DS5 and only wants people using that, let them restrict it, but the vast majority of games on the console will be the exact same with a DS4 as they would a DS5.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'll be waiting to buy a PS5 for some time, while I continue to play games on my PS4 and my PC (with a PS4 controller). So...basically I'm exactly where I was at the start of this generation, except I was using a 360 controller back then. I still have the 360 controller for my PC, too.

I feel like this is expected and a non-issue for most people, but I can see how this might be annoying to, say, parents who are getting a family PS5 and need multiple brand new controllers for the kids.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plan6 said:

@humanity: I don’t know, both companies seem to be doing wildly different things. Sony is making hardware and Microsoft is making a service you can play on xbox or PC.

Just because Microsoft are presenting a service front and center doesn't mean they aren't making hardware. I agree the incentive to buy their hardware is not as strong as Sony where it's basically "you want these exclusives then you gotta get our box" but I'm curious to see how these two consoles will ultimately shake out in the long run.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't bother me at all. I'm not buying a new console to play with old stuff anyway, be it hardware or software. In some ways, I am glad they are doing this as I don't want developers to have to consider old controllers. Granted, that ideology probably only applies to PS5 exclusives but either way, I'm not interested in any form of backward compatability really.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

At this stage the decision to make any controller incompatible is a business decision. For the most part the PS5 controller will function like a PS4 controller with a few bells n whisltes attached. Nothing that would appear to be vital to gameplay and only offers additional immersion benefits. Games that implement the tech in a way that is vital to the gameplay should have the option to make it PS5 controller compatible only - to do it on a system level seems 100% business motivated at this stage.

You cant tell me otherwise unless you think not a controller with the same number of buttons cant function like a PS5 controller? Without the feedback

pudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn’t bother me at all. I’m all for innovation.

I’m sure they’ll include a PS5 controller in the box.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: It’s going to be hilarious when you’ll be able to play PS5 games on PC or phone using PSNow with just any modern Bluetooth controller but the console itself will require a Dual Sense for “reasons”.

Tom_Scherschel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tp0p: It would have been really nice if the Dual Shock 4 had worked with all PS5 games. New consoles will be expensive enough, but I need to have four controllers in my house so that my kids can play Minecraft or whatever else together. Guessing that extra Dual Sense controllers will go for $60+.

Also, I don't know anything about the guts of the Dual Sense or Dual Shock 4, but if @toughshed is right that it really is just a software block, then it seems like Sony is just setting themselves up for bad press followed by a reversal of this policy.

piousmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By piousmartyr

I don't see this an issue. Xbox One controllers working on Series X is a nice bonus, but controllers being natively forwards compatible isn't the norm and hasn't been. Usually you just accept that your old controllers won't work, or you get an adapter / dongle for them. I can't think of very many instances where you controllers were fully backwards compatible.

Being able to keep using my controllers would be nice surprise, for when friends come over to play, but I never expected to be able to use them so I'm not bothered by it either.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pudking said:

Doesn’t bother me at all. I’m all for innovation.

I’m sure they’ll include a PS5 controller in the box.

Wait a second.. you mean the console comes with a controller?!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This doesn’t really bother me at all, I kind of anticipate this with each new console cycle. Plus, the DualSense looks more comfortable than the DualShock 4.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Hayt

I'm not going to say people who are unbothered by this are wrong but I will say that just because previously companies have always made self interested choices doesn't mean that it isn't continually disappointing when they do it again. There are going to be lots of multiplatform games that will support ps4 controllers on PC but that exact same game won't do so on the platform that Sony owns. Seems silly.

Edit: Jeff Grubb's thoughts ring pretty true to me, personally. Read the thread here and I think he sums it up well.