Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nukacherry

RE: THE GAMES INDUSTRY & UNI

Hello, this is Nukacherry.

This is really addressing anyone who has any sort of career within the games industry, be it QA Tester or Level Designer, Animator etc. There doesn't seem to be much information out there on how exactly you can enter the games industry and what qualifications you need, what background work or whatever you need to have the be able to start within the industry. I have always wanted to know but no one has ever been able to tell me.

There are 3 things that I, and a number of other people want to know.

1. What are the qualifications/courses I need to take to get into the industry?
  2. Is background work necessary and if so, what sort of work?
  3. Is a degree even necessary, or can you apply with relevant A-Levels/US Equivalent?

Also, any further information would be very helpful! Again, this is addressed to people within the industry already in some way. Thanks in advance.

-Nukacherry-

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

This depends on what part of the industry you want to get into. For the most part it's less about a piece of paper that says you have the know how and more about having a good resume. While a degree will help with your resume it's really important to make cool stuff and show them with actual work that you know what you're doing. I think "level design" is a bit misguided as most of the time a company isn't looking for something that specific. What you actually want to do is show a proficiency in programming in an object based programming languages. I'd recommend learning C++, and building functional games. That will teach you most of what you need to know to work with an engine like Source. When you apply they'll most likely ask for sample work and that gives you something to show them.

As far as animation, I have no clue. I imagine it's similar. Build a portfolio with a bunch of work in it to show off to dev teams.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mosespippy

If you actually make a game and release it then that will do far more for your resume than any school program will. If you want to be an artist or animator then go to animation or graphic design school. If you want to be a programmer then do computer sciences. If you want to be a level designer then there are lots of things that contribute to good level design; architecture, geometry, set design, etc. If you want to write music for games then go to music school. If you want to be in PR or Marketing then go to business school. Pretty much any skill can be applied to the manufacturing of a game. That's why there isn't really a set of qualifications and if you just make your own indie game and release it that will set you above the rest.