ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Hello Giant Bomb Comunity,

I am a volunteer writer for a small independent video game website, and I was looking for a recommendation for a new series of articles I am going to be doing. Basically, the idea is that I will play an old but well regarded game and see how it holds up by the standards of today's games. The criteria for games will be any game that was released prior to this generation, so anything from, let's say the NES, up to and including PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube games or PC games released before the 360 launched. It also must be a game I have either never played, or haven't played since it first came out. Obviously, I'm not going to list off the hundreds of games I've played over the course of my life, so any recommendations are welcome.

As a side note, I am currently playing Persona 3 for the first time (I am about 20 hours in), but honestly that's probably going to take me a while to finish, so that will likely be the second or third game I do.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Neverwinter Nights 2 on PC

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NTM

Freedom Fighters.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cook66

Summoner!

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By devitiffany

Hybrid Heaven

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Blackout62

SSX3! Its topical, classic, and I bet it will graphically hold up better than some current gen games.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By NathHaw

This is way too broad. Narrow it down for us, and I'll give you a suggestion.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@nrh79 said:

Basically what I'm looking for is a highly regarded, preferably single player game that was popular at the time of it's release. Ideally, it will either be a game that is just as good today as it was when it came out, or something that was well liked and critically successful when it came out, but doesn't hold well today (an example would be Sonic Adventure), because these two scenarios would likely provide the best material.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NathHaw

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

Basically what I'm looking for is a highly regarded, preferably single player game that was popular at the time of it's release. Ideally, it will either be a game that is just as good today as it was when it came out, or something that was well liked and critically successful when it came out, but doesn't hold well today (an example would be Sonic Adventure), because these two scenarios would likely provide the best material.

What are some of your favorite genres?

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Nick

Beyond Good and Evil. You could play the HD downloadable version, or get it on Steam.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MysteriousBob

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

The original Resident Evil games sound perfect for you. Popular back then but damn, they do not hold up any more.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@nrh79 said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

role playing, platformer, shooter, action adventure

EDIT: I have several games I am planning on doing at some point down the line, such as KOTOR, FF7, and FF6, but right now I am looking for something a little shorter than these behemoths.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Nick said:

Beyond Good and Evil. You could play the HD downloadable version, or get it on Steam.

Damn, I completely forgot about Beyond Good and Evil, I always wanted to play that but never got around to it.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NathHaw

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

EDIT: I have several games I am planning on doing at some point down the line, such as KOTOR, FF7, and FF6, but right now I am looking for something a little shorter than these behemoths.

Have you played the Sly Cooper series? It might be interesting to see a present take on the series following Sucker Punch's InFamous games which are clearly inspired from the Sly games. Considering one is from a previous generation and one from this gen, it would not only allow you to do the take you'd like on an older game's ability to hold up, but it would allow you to make a relevant comparison to a recent series, InFamous, in the same vein. Plus, Sly Cooper games are kinda great, and it might inspire you to write an additional segment on what you expect, would like to see, or what Sucker Punch should have learned from their previous attempts for the upcoming Sly 4.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@nrh79 said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

Have you played the Sly Cooper series? It might be interesting to see a present take on the series following Sucker Punch's InFamous games which are clearly inspired from the Sly games. Considering one is from a previous generation and one from this gen, it would not only allow you to do the take you'd like on an older game's ability to hold up, but it would allow you to make a relevant comparison to a recent series, InFamous, in the same vein. Plus, Sly Cooper games are kinda great, and it might inspire you to write an additional segment on what you expect, would like to see, or what Sucker Punch should have learned from their previous attempts for the upcoming Sly 4.

That is an excellent idea. I absoltuly love both InFamous games, and I have never played the Sly games, though I was interested, I just never got around to it. Though, I was under the impression that Sucker Punch were not actually the developers of Sly 4, though I could be wrong. Thanks for help.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lashe

If you're into JRPGs, which I'm guessing you are since you're playing P3, I would recommend Suikoden 2 for the PS1. Very hard to find a copy of it, but a downright fantastic game.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NathHaw

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

That is an excellent idea. I absoltuly love both InFamous games, and I have never played the Sly games, though I was interested, I just never got around to it. Though, I was under the impression that Sucker Punch were not actually the developers of Sly 4, though I could be wrong. Thanks for help.

You might be right on their not developing Sly 4, but surely whoever is has lessons to learn. Even adds an extra layer to it all.

Edit: Looked into it. The dev company who might now be working on the new Sly game is Sanzaru Games. It apparently changed from Sucker Punch to this company I'm not familiar with. I guess they also did the HD versions of the PS2 games.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Lashe said:

If you're into JRPGs, which I'm guessing you are since you're playing P3, I would recommend Suikoden 2 for the PS1. Very hard to find a copy of it, but a downright fantastic game.

Would the story require having played the first one, and if so, how is the first one?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#19  Edited By BeachThunder
  • Half-Life 1&2
  • System Shock 1&2
  • Deus Ex 1
  • Doom
  • Monkey Island 1&2
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Sam and Max Hit the Road
  • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
  • Grim Fandango
  • Fallout 1&2
  • Planescape: Torment
  • No One Lives Forever 1&2
  • Lemmings
  • X-Com 1&2
  • Oddworld 1&2
ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@BeachThunder said:

• Half-Life 1&2
  • System Shock 1&2
  • Deus Ex 1
  • Doom
  • Monkey Island 1&2
  • Day of the Tentacle
  • Sam and Max Hit the Road
  • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
  • Grim Fandango
  • Fallout 1&2
  • Planescape: Torment
  • No One Lives Forever 1&2
  • Lemmings
  • X-Com 1&2
  • Oddworld 1&2

Thanks, a great list. I've played some of these many times, but I've definitely been interested in some of the other games on here. The adventure games are quite intriguing, I just recently played through the Blackwell series, and got in a bit of an adventure game mood.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lashe

@ll_Exile_ll: You certainly get a good bit more out of it having played the first one, to the point where Suikoden II is designed to let you carry save data from the first game into the sequel. It's a great feature which brings a little persistence to the series, and the additional content is tailored depending on which ending you achieved in the original Suikoden. I think it was one of the few if not the only game to actually implement a feature like that on the PS1.

You will appreciate character fates, crossovers, cameos and certain gameplay mechanics more if you were to play the first one before hand If you have the time to play both then I would definitely do so!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Lashe said:

@ll_Exile_ll: You certainly get a good bit more out of it having played the first one, to the point where Suikoden II is designed to let you carry save data from the first game into the sequel. It's a great feature which brings a little persistence to the series, and the additional content is tailored depending on which ending you achieved in the original Suikoden. I think it was one of the few if not the only game to actually implement a feature like that on the PS1.

You will appreciate character fates, crossovers, cameos and certain gameplay mechanics more if you were to play the first one before hand If you have the time to play both then I would definitely do so!

Thanks for the info, I may give those games a try.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coakroach

Earthbound

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By L44

Grim Fandango, If you are in that adventure game mood. Also The Neverhood, an interesting game to look at retrospectively.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Elazul

Chrono Trigger.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Elazul said:

Chrono Trigger.

I've played it like 10 times.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Jeust
@ll_Exile_ll said:

@nrh79 said:

• Sanitarium
  • Planescape Torment
Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By optimusprime223

Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pezen

@ll_Exile_ll: There is no need to play the first Suikoden to get the second one. That series is sort of handling their games the way Elder Scrolls does in the way that it's all the same universe, but different kingdoms in every game. If you finish the first, there's a small easter egg in the second one, but it's nothing major. Personally, I think both are excellent games though and you can't go wrong either way. I believe the second one is more highly regarded overall, though the first being a personal favorite of mine.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By mosespippy

GTA2, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Need For Speed High Stakes, Freedom Fighters and Beyond Good & Evil.

Edit: Add Theme Hospital and Red Alert to the list.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Elazul

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Elazul said:

Chrono Trigger.

I've played it like 10 times.

Good! The only other short JRPG I can really think of off the top of my head is Eternal Sonata, and that's current gen so it might not be the best fit. It is a hell of a game, though.

EDIT: Actually, add Vagrant Story to that list. It's pretty damn awesome.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Deathrow for the Xbox. That is all for now.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By swoxx

Katawa Shoujo. I had no expectations of that being any good or liking it even slightly when I started playing it, but it turned out to be really good. Best of all, it's free!

I know it's new, but I don't care!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By Justin258

@ll_Exile_ll

Ever played the first two Metroid Prime games? Those are great, and are still better than pretty much anything released today. Even if not for your website, you should play them.

The first and second Halo

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is supposed to be a good, inventive FPS but I've never played it.

Ratchet and Clank 2 (Going Commando/Locked and Loaded if you're European, I think) and 3 (Up Your Arsenal) (1 doesn't hold up as well and Deadlocked is a solid shooter but nothing drop dead amazing)

Jak and Daxter 1, 2, and 3

Super Metroid

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Crash Bandicoot Warped

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@believer258 said:

@ll_Exile_ll

Ever played the first two Metroid Prime games? Those are great, and are still better than pretty much anything released today. Even if not for your website, you should play them.

The first and second Halo

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is supposed to be a good, inventive FPS but I've never played it.

Ratchet and Clank 2 (Going Commando/Locked and Loaded if you're European, I think) and 3 (Up Your Arsenal) (1 doesn't hold up as well and Deadlocked is a solid shooter but nothing drop dead amazing)

Jak and Daxter 1, 2, and 3

Super Metroid

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Crash Bandicoot Warped

I played the original Metroid Prime years ago, barely remember it at all. I've played some of the others games you mentioned, but none very recently either. Those are all good recommendations, thanks.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Example1013

Champions of Norrath

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2

Star Wars: Battlefront (and possibly II)

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By phish09

Super Contra...grow a pair and play it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@phish09 said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or an asshole...

Regardless, I have played it, I love the Contra games.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By phish09

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@phish09 said:

Yeah, it's kind of hard to be one without the other, but it was mostly meant in jest...except that game is awesome and I wonder if it would hold up today.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iPliskin

Farm Simulator 2011

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@phish09 said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@phish09 said:

Yeah, it's kind of hard to be one without the other, but it was mostly meant in jest...except that game is awesome and I wonder if it would hold up today.

I've played it within the last few years. It's still pretty difficult, and still fun.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@iPliskin said:

Farm Simulator 2011

The quick look was enough for me...

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zelyre

Freespace 2

There can never be enough Freespace 2.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ravenlight

Megaman 2. The best Megaman game.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Ravenlight said:

Megaman 2. The best Megaman game.

Agreed, I love Mega Man 2. Kick ass music too.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Ketchupp

Black & White

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Harkat

Metroid Fusion. You get it free if you are a 3DS ambassador. It's one of the most underrated games I know. To me, it's one of the best games of ALL TIME.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By _Zombie_

Darkwatch, for the Xbox. You will thank me when you get your hands on it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NTM

Another suggestion would be Metal Gear Solid.