Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rogue Legacy 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 28, 2022

The "genealogical rogue-lite" platformer returns with a new art style and new tricks!

Rogue Legacy 2 announced!

revel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Any fans out there? I'm excited. I bought it on sale for a couple bucks thinking I wouldn't really care about it and ended up playing it for 27 hours! I definitely had some addiction at times that probably wasn't too good/healthy. But overall I really enjoyed the game and I'm looking forward to 2.

Sadly I never did play their (Cellar Door) other games. They look cool but it just never happened.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm curious to see what they do. It's been quite some time since the first game, and run-based games have gotten damn near ubiquitous since then; I wonder if they'll stick close to what the first game was or try out something new to stand out.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As one of the few people that truly loved Full Metal Furies, I think they are a great developer and look forward to how they hopefully improve upon an already great game. A little bummed that they are going back to the well, but whatever inspires them!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Rogue Legacy had a lot of cool ideas and played quite well. It didn't stick with me like Spelunky, Isaac, or Nuclear Throne but I'll be there for the sequel.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

New bosses, new enemies, new room types, a trait or two is all I need. The gameplay was already perfect.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's because I just like Metroidvania games, but this is still the only run-based game that has ever really clicked with me. Super cool, looking forward to this.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: I think what "inspires them" is keeping the lights on. There's nothing wrong with that and I personally am excited to see what they do with this game. I liked Rogue Legacy a lot but I felt there were definitely places it could be improved and expanded so this should be neat.

Of course it's probably going to be years before it's released so I won't be waiting on the edge of my chair but I'll give it a shot whenever it appears.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: yeah, I'm sure you're right. And I agree. And the progression in Full Metal Furies was great so hopefully they implement that. Just, not the humor. That part was a little rough.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yep, looking forward to it. Played the shit out of it when it came out. Unfortunately, revisits have reminded me that time marches on and I found many of the room layouts coupled with the movement and controls to be pretty frustrating, as well as overall feeling like a massive grind. For example, if you're good at Nuclear Throne or Spelunky, you can beat it reliably and without major issue. But Rogue Legacy is built to be a wall that you scale, not an interlocking grouping of systems that you learn and adapt to. Regardless, it paved the way for the Roguelite sub-subgenre and I'd like to see what ideas a sequel can bring to the table. (Though personally, I'd like to see a fully 3D first-person physics-based VR immersive sim sequel to Don't Shit Your Pants, but beggars can't be choosers.)

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for it! The first one was an enjoyable game, even though it's nowhere near as replayable as games like Isaac and Spelunky. Spelunky 2 is the roguelike I absolutely can't wait for, hoping it finally comes out this year.

revel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

As one of the few people that truly loved Full Metal Furies, I think they are a great developer and look forward to how they hopefully improve upon an already great game. A little bummed that they are going back to the well, but whatever inspires them!

I know exactly what you mean. I never wanted them to make a sequel but I also did. Its really tears me in half cause I like that indie spirit of blazing new territory (which can completely be done in sequels! I'm not against sequels and franchises at all). But I know exactly what you mean.

revel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was very surprised at how much I liked Rogue Legacy and I'm not even exactly sure why I ended up liking it so much. I even kinda dumped on it when I first saw it.

My hope is that it isn't like Guacamelee. I love Guacamelee. The music and everything. But for some reason I didn't play 2 and I don't feel drawn towards it. I feel like things have changed since then and there is a lot of games and I had just come off Dead Cells.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I never finished the first one, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. I'll probably pick this up at some point. I haven't played a ton of modern rogue-likes/lites so the genre is still pretty fresh for me.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im optimistic but I hope they bring something new to the genre. They were the first big rogue lite I remember but now with games like dead cells out there they gotta do something special to stand out.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I got the Platinum of Rogue Legacy! Loved that game. Only rouge-lite/rouge-like that I have actually gotten into.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Like poster above me also got all the trophies in the first game I liked it so much. While I have enjoyed other Rogue-Lites, this one was probably one of the ones I sunk the most time into. I'm very curious to see what they would have planned for a sequel, and while some may say it's them going back to the well I think at the end of the day it's been a long enough time that it should be fine. More than that, I feel like as others have mentioned, the genre is in such a different space now I am curious how that affects what they decide to do with this thing. I'll be awaiting more out of this for sure.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

As someone who played the first game through on 4-5 different platforms this makes me very happy. It was the first Roguelite style game that ever got me hooked. It actually got me to give Spelunky another try after I had dropped off after my first half hour, but then ended up becoming one of my favorite games.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Don't know how much longer, but the first is on sale here in the States on the eShop and handles surprisingly well given the Switch's controls. If you haven't played it, give it a look.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is awesome news. Rogue Legacy is probably my best rogue lite game!

mattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it really only PC? or is that just the default selection here?

I too bought it dirt cheap on PSN.. can't find the purchase easily, but it was under $5 I'm almost positive, and was one of my best cheap/enjoyment games (even better than "free" PS+ games, which would effectively be infinitely valuable, since they're free beyond the subscription price).

I hope it comes to Playstation.

mattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, looking forward to it. Played the shit out of it when it came out. Unfortunately, revisits have reminded me that time marches on and I found many of the room layouts coupled with the movement and controls to be pretty frustrating, as well as overall feeling like a massive grind. For example, if you're good at Nuclear Throne or Spelunky, you can beat it reliably and without major issue. But Rogue Legacy is built to be a wall that you scale, not an interlocking grouping of systems that you learn and adapt to. Regardless, it paved the way for the Roguelite sub-subgenre and I'd like to see what ideas a sequel can bring to the table. (Though personally, I'd like to see a fully 3D first-person physics-based VR immersive sim sequel to Don't Shit Your Pants, but beggars can't be choosers.)

Then I've probably already heard of the ones you'll mention, but I'll still ask..

What other Playstation games like Rogue Legacy are there? I guess I *liked* the scaling of it.. it seemed to me that it seemed impossible but you got better little by little, but it didn't seem to me like grinding.. (I'm finally starting to play the Witcher for example, and there seems like tons of grinding.. to find herbs and such, and repair your weapons, etc..)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattack: According to this interview: https://www.shacknews.com/article/117448/how-rogue-legacy-2-aims-to-go-from-a-castle-to-a-full-kingdom it's coming to PC first but they want to port to consoles later.

I think that's the same thing that the first game did. They say they are too small a team to target multiple platforms to start with, and that probably goes even moreso now when the consoles are about to change over to a new generation.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll have to wait a bit but it will come to console at some point. A lot of indie games launch on PC first and then port later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.