• 85 results
metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By metalsnakezero

This is not the scariest game you play, it is the event or moment in a game that keeps getting under your skin or scary the sh*t out of you.

I would have to go with the underground levels of STALKER with all of the lighting, sound effects, and the contain reminder that weird creature is still lurking around. 

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Stepside

Resident Evil.  PS1.  Those evil bastard dogs jumping out of the windows in the first long hallway you go down.  I jumped out of my chair like a little bitch :)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

System Shock 2 

using a vending machine, activating a door, etc. only to have a ghost pop up in front of you. I lost plenty of bullets shooting at those darn things >___>

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

In Resident Evil 4, the enemies that you have to use thermal vision to see where to shoot them. It was one of our first encounters with the foe. We shot him and he fell to the ground and we just laughed as it wiggled around on the ground as it tried to crawl at us. We didn't know they could leap and attach themselves to your neck. When it did that, we both jumped, and never let one of those things get that close again. 

Also, Fatal Frame II is full of these moments. So many well-crafted scares in that game. Also, there were so many points when figures or faces would appear in the environment for a couple of seconds and just fade away. I would say something like "Oh wow, I could of sworn there was a face in that wall." And then my friend would say the same thing. Then I set the controller down for a couple of minutes, refusing to move forward as we checked the recording to see if there was actually a face. 

There was :(

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Mrskidders

Resident Evil 1 on the PS1.  Basement kitchen.  Screechy music.  Tight camera.  Tiny room.  Nasty music.  This one really sticks with me.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Kjellm87

It may just be because I recently replayed Pikmin 2, but Submerged Castle kinda freaks me out even today, must be because of the music and that other "thing"

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Getting chased by Pyramid Head in the hospital in SH2, so unexpected. 

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jasta

Skip to 7.00

eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#9  Edited By eliminator

Condemned criminal origins-the locker scene 
Fatal Frame-random ghost encounters 
Fatal Frame II-The Twins randomly appearing in the house with no notice what so ever.
Fatal Frame III-The crawling woman scene,long haired woman appering in front of the camera 
Silent Hill 4- Finding the dude inside the wall. 
Haunting Ground-Being chased by the invisible dude. 
System shock 2-shodan reveal 
Resident evil 4-Regenerator battles 
Just a few I can remember.
gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By gabha

Don't like  scary games so I haven't played alot of them, but my scariest moment was from one of the forensic scenes in Condemned when the victim turned out to be actually alive.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Romination

The third level of Killer7. You're in a town that's just over-run with Heaven Smiles and it's just ridiculous. That game freaks me out a lot, but at that point, I was really losing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

The night vision level in Star Wars: Republic Commando. The most intense sequence I've ever played.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By GoofyGoober

Seeing the red ring of death stare deep into your soul.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@gabha: Did you see it coming? I totally knew something was going to happen, but it still scared me anyway^^ 
Also, that last level in Condemned, when you're in that house with Serial Killer X, is some seriously messed up stuff.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By ESREVER
@EliminatoR said:
" Condemned criminal origins-the locker scene Fatal Frame-random ghost encounters Fatal Frame II-The Twins randomly appearing in the house with no notice what so ever.Fatal Frame III-The crawling woman scene,long haired woman appering in front of the camera Silent Hill 4- Finding the dude inside the wall. Haunting Ground-Being chased by the invisible dude. System shock 2-shodan reveal Resident evil 4-Regenerator battles Just a few I can remember. "
I stopped in my tracks for like 5 minutes when I saw one of the Twins standing in the corridor of the house that is connected to the bridge to heaven. When I finally approached it, I would not take my eyes off of it until I reached the other door. 
That was the act when Mayu passes out and starts muttering the 3 clues under her breath. Coincidentally, that was also the act where I saw that face in the wall, and with those creepy kids that played hide and seek. By far the spookiest chapter for me!
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Marcsman
@Stepside said:
"Resident Evil.  PS1.  Those evil bastard dogs jumping out of the windows in the first long hallway you go down.  I jumped out of my chair like a little bitch :) "

Damn you trumped me. But it was the very first thing I could think of too.
fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fraser

Not the scariest moment I can think of, but the first thing that came to mind;

Condemned 2, that bit with the mannequins that suddenly appear when you turn around.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stepside
@EliminatoR said:  Silent Hill 4- Finding the dude inside the wall"

This.
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By spankingaddict
@Mrskidders said:
" Resident Evil 1 on the PS1.  Basement kitchen.  Screechy music.  Tight camera.  Tiny room.  Nasty music.  This one really sticks with me. "
O man, i totally know what you mean. Good times...
gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gabha
@mylifeforAiur said:
" @gabha: Did you see it coming? I totally knew something was going to happen, but it still scared me anyway^^ Also, that last level in Condemned, when you're in that house with Serial Killer X, is some seriously messed up stuff. "
After the mannequin level I went online to read up on the scariest stuff that would follow, so I knew beforhand that would happen. I even played the game afterwords with a bunch of guys havingtold them it would happen, yet you still couldn't have heared a single breath in the room during that scene.
Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Irishranger

System Shock 2.  The first time one of the zombies came up behind me, moaning, and my stereo speakers made it sound perfectly like he was behind my chair.  Then later on towards the end, you're looking down a loooong hallway section of the ship and it's very well lighted, but you can see an enemy running toward you.  You don't know what it is for a second, then she's on you, kicking your ass.  

Long hallways still creep me out.  Especially anytime one is used in movies with someone running toward the camera.  The new Star Trek would be a good example.  When they walk into the station on the ice planet and the little short dude runs toward them from the far end of the hallway.  Creeped me out.  Weird, I know, but it's always bothered me. 

Also anytime a first person shooter uses a jump scare just after it gets you concentrating on the action.  I don't know how many times that has made me jump out of my chair and left my whole body tingling with fright.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mnzy
@Stepside said:
" Resident Evil.  PS1.  Those evil bastard dogs jumping out of the windows in the first long hallway you go down.  I jumped out of my chair like a little bitch :) "
This.
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Driadon

First time you meet a Bloodsucker in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.; when you first find one of those ninja-enemy things in FEAR that sit in a top corner of a room until you look up; or the whole of the Penumbra series.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rawrz

A lot of Condemned 2 since that games great with its jump scares and creepy atmosphere.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Bioshock dentist.

Avatar image for tragicallyerock
TragicallyErock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TragicallyErock

I've played quote-unquote SCARY games like Silent Hill & Resident Evil.

But for some reason nothing has ever freaked me out like the Ravenholm level from HL2.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Shadow

I think it was in the original F.E.A.R.  I remember how I saw the hallway filling up with fire coming my way.  I stood there for a few seconds and then booked it towards the window, scared shitless as I did.  Here was my exact though process: "stupid game designers, that's obviously an illusion and it's just going to disappear in a second.  Wait, isn't that that psycho little girl murderer on top of the fire?  Wait a sec...OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT!"

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karl_Boss

Getting chased by that Bear in Condemned 2 was a pretty intense scene.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By takua108

I never played the demo, which apparently had it too, but the infamous ladder bit in F.E.A.R. got me this close to soiling myself.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By luce

Regenerators in RE 4 

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Mattalorian

Amnesia: Dark Descent. That invisible water creature. Anyone who's played the game will know exactly what I mean.

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

Anything fro Fatal Frame

Darksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Darksaw

Probably in the original condemned, the manequins in the dept store moving right next to you when you look away.

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fierrze
@TragicallyErock said:
" I've played quote-unquote SCARY games like Silent Hill & Resident Evil.

But for some reason nothing has ever freaked me out like the Ravenholm level from HL2.
"
I thought i was only one who was scared of those little fuckers. It's weird that you know they can't kill you but still you don't want to get hit by them. Just thinking of those hairy fuckers and their scream when they jump gives me the creeps.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#36  Edited By BeachThunder

Possibly the dog kennel part in Penumbra: Black Plague. Or the second Hunter part in Dead Space.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Resident Evil 1: Dogs jumping through window. That's a classic scare and usually the first thing I think of whenever this topic comes up.
Resident Evil 2: Licker jumping through interrogation room window.
Resident Evil 3: Almost any part where Nemesis chases you. 
REmake: Every Crimson Head encounter, and pretty much that whole game
Fatal Frame1: Almost all of the random ghosts
Silent Hill 1: Locker in school
Silent Hill: Homecoming: The Siam that bursts through the prison gate with absolutely no warning, and the Siam that comes barreling behind you at the end of the sewer area.
Condemned 2: The mannequins that follow you in the abandoned apartment, and of course, the bear chasing you through the cabin.
Metro 2033: Being chased by the librarians, and trying to avoid waking the librarians up a little later.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jim_dandy
@zudthespud said:

" The night vision level in Star Wars: Republic Commando. The most intense sequence I've ever played. "

What, really? That kinda makes me want to play that game now.

@gabha: Is that anything like the plaster mannequins area in Bioshock?

I would turn around and see a mannequin, then turn around again and it would be right behind me, standing perfectly still.
dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dillonwerner

Anytime in Penumbra..

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Stepside said:
" Resident Evil.  PS1.  Those evil bastard dogs jumping out of the windows in the first long hallway you go down.  I jumped out of my chair like a little bitch :) "
Yes, definitely this. It was the last thing I expected...
stringbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By stringbacon

The Winter Lodge Demon Door in Fable 2. Not the scariest moment ever, but it comes out of nowhere.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iam3green

resident evil 2 for n64. i jumped a couple of times not expecting zombies to be sitting at the windows grabbing me. it is one of the things that scared me. sometimes i would play it at night time so i would start hearing weird things. night time make games even scarier.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Winternet

Probably because it's still fresh, but the water level in Amnesia is the worst. Or the Storage. Hell, the whole game is bad. But, yeah, the water level. That's not human. 

When I was younger, I didn't really like the headcrabs in Half-Life. Whenever they started to jump me I would freak out completely.

carminescarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By carminescarf

System Shock: SHODAN's reveal.

I've never really seen anything quite like that.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mordukai

The moment I started playing Two Worlds. 

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By jonnyboy

Personal favorites of mine were being followed by the emotion-less killing machine B.O.W in Residen Evil 2's 'B Game'. That thing was far scarier than the Nemesis in RE3 because of his silent lumbering stalk, and his ability to smash through walls and chase you in rooms that were previously considered 'safe'.

Also, most of 'The Suffering' was pretty fucked up. Not just jump scares, but a really un-nerving feeling made from excelling creature design and some of the best audio work I've ever heard in a video game.

Also an Xbox indie game called 'Soul' is great for scaring kids and relatives, It's basically a game built around Ebaums prank maze but it's actually pretty good and I'm pretty sure Team Meat has played it too as some of the creatures in it look very similar to those in Super Meat Boy. Oh and only costs about 70 pence.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#47  Edited By natetodamax

Leliana singing in Dragon Age.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft, Godam creepers! 
 That is the most recent one,  I don't think A game has actually scared me for a VERY long time.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LiquidPrince

Back in the day, being chased by the Dahaka was pretty damn creepy/intense.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#50  Edited By Grumbel

Dogs jumping through the Windows in RE1 (PSone) is probably the best jump scare I have seen, it is so simple, yet so effective. In the remake it didn't felt half as good as in the original. 

Another classic moment: The dark troppers in Dark Forces, I always found those rather frightening. A big strong enemy that you could here coming from quite a bit away, but not really avoid fighting, kind of like the Big Daddies in Bioshock I guess, except those lost their scare due to the Vita Chambers pretty quickly, in Dark Forces on the other side I played without quicksaving.