Should I end my 10+ year friendship with my primary multiplayer partner over this?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigsocrates  Online

I have a friend I have known for well over 10 years since we were in professional school together. We have not seen one another in a long time but we keep in touch with texts and long phone calls (1-3 hours) every couple weeks or so. He got back into video games during the pandemic and we've been talking about them and playing them online from time to time. We recently went through TMNT: Shredder's Revenge together, but we've also played games like Human Fall Flat and It takes Two. It's been fun, though sometimes frustrating, as multiplayer gaming is. At this point he's the person I most often play stuff online with, though not the only one.

However gaming has also brought out a dark side in my friend. A very dark side. I don't know what exactly it is about games that draws out this malevolence but it is, frankly, pretty scary. Recently I had cause to mention "the game" again in a conversation and thought nothing of it, until a package arrived in my mailbox. A package I did not order. A package I would not order. A package I would not have accepted or opened if I had known it was coming. And, well...

The PS4 copy is the one I played.  The second copy is the new one. It was sent by Goodwill but clearly with VERY BAD INTENTIONS
The PS4 copy is the one I played. The second copy is the new one. It was sent by Goodwill but clearly with VERY BAD INTENTIONS

I don't know if I can stay friends with someone who wants to hurt me this badly. Additionally even though "the game" has multiplayer my friend insists that he will not join me but that I must go alone on my Balanventure so that I can "fully focus on savoring the experience."

My friend knows that I also have a Switch and I'm terrified of what he might do next. I don't want to lose this friendship but it seems that might have already happened. I don't know if "friend" is the right word to use about what he is to me now.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This made me laugh, I was expecting some serious conflict of morals or something. Just trade them in or something, it's a pretty funny joke.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah why not

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would you need perfection twice?

croznad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like your friend needs a copy of crime boss: rockay city as a receipt for this transgression

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I say stick it out. If they're into sending half-baked garbage to you, you might end up with an Amico prototype someday. You never know.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an a*hole. I think the only course of action at this point is to cut off all communication with them now, and update your will to leave both copies of the game in their name.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are no words for what this "friend" has done to you.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only truly ethical choice is to play the game in its entirety. True friendship is about sacrifice.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, my friend got me Destiny for my birthday 9 years ago, so, if you need a frame of reference for what a friend does for a friend. You do what you gotta do.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to take the long view. Just think in 20 years when Tik Tok comes in mist form and is experienced by inhaling there will be contrarian influencers talking about this hidden gem and how it's actually a great game that for some crazy reason people hated.

And when that happens, BOOM, you get to cash in with your suddenly collectable antiques. Just put them in a safe place and hang onto them for two decades. You won't be sorry. Trust me.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By AV_Gamer

I don't know, YOU might be the problem. Balan Wonderworld is one of the greatest video games ever made, by the creator of Sonic the Hedgehog and Nights Into Dreams. And yet, here you are complaining about such an amazing gift by your friend. He even sent you a copy for both major consoles. Come on, duder.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer: Lmao this cracked me up, thank you.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Frankly you should send them a copy of Sonic Forces and just up the ante.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm sorry for your future loss but there's nothing else to do. Good God, man.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel very sorry for you.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers