thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

On Friday April 10th I'm going to be running a GB Friday Night Magic for the Community Endurance Run! We are going to be kicking off after Unprofessional Fridays and we are going to be running one full tournament of the format of your choosing. I'll be announcing the grand prize at a later date, but there will be a grand prize!

After that we are going to be running the inaugural GBCER MTG Royal Rumble! It is going to be a Standard event and function with roughly the same rules as a wrestling royal rumble. Two people are going to face off in the first match and the winner is going to progress to the next challenger in the randomly assigned queue. The last person standing wins our lovely GB FNM championship belt. All matches will be single elimination either best of 3 or best of 1 depending on how late the FNM runs.

This thread is to take sign ups for the FNM and the Royal Rumble. We need at least 8 people if the FNM is going to be a draft and the Royal Rumble will take as many challengers as possible.

Prizes:

The winner of the FNM will win a Dragons of Tarkir Fat Pack!

The winner of the Royal Rumble will win a championship belt of some kind (the form of the belt is in flux right now, but it will be cool)!

I ask that you donate at least $10 to Pencils of Promise if you enter because raising money to help kids is the reason of the season!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Bollard

I'm definitely down for the FNM (as you already know), but the rumble will be crazy late here in the UK (UPF finishes at like 1am already...) so I can't say for sure. Also I will be throwing my donation down on the weekend of the event if that's cool.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

@bollard: It is certainly cool to donate closer to the actual event! I'm sorry you'll miss the rumble. I know you have a standard deck you've been working on that could do pretty darn well in a best of 1, winner take all sort of format. The FNM should still be fun though!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@thatpinguino: Who knows, maybe nearer the time I'll have a change of heart and decide to pull an all nighter. If you don't mind a late entrant?

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After that we are going to be running the inaugural GBCER MTG Royal Rumble! It is going to be a Standard event and function with roughly the same rules as a wrestling royal rumble. Two people are going to face off in the first match and the winner is going to progress to the next challenger in the randomly assigned queue. The last person standing wins our lovely GB FNM championship belt. All matches will be single elimination either best of 3 or best of 1 depending on how late the FNM runs.

I think your idea is really cool but that is not how the Royal Rumble works. The Royal Rumble is where 2 wrestlers start in the ring and then another wrestler comes out into the ring around every 90 seconds. Until there have been 30 people who have entered the ring and then the winner is the last man in the match. You win by throwing people over the top ropes.

I honestly don't see how a MTG Royal Rumble would work, lol. If you are going for a wrestling theme I would call it the King of the Ring. That is a single elimination style tournament.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thatpinguino  Staff

@katimanic: I mostly meant that there would be 2 people starting at the table and the winner would take on the next challenger in the queue. That process continues until there are no more challengers. So there won't be new people every 90 seconds, but there will be new challengers after every elimination. Also there is the random "I was the last person in the queue so I only have to beat one person to win the whole thing" aspect that I wanted to capture. Does a King of the Ring work like that?

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yo sign me up

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino: You know what, I am wrong and I must of not read your post carefully enough. The more I think about it, the more you using Royal Rumble makes sense.

King of the Ring is just a straight tournament so it isn't that. So you are probably right to call it a Royal Rumble.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@katimanic: So you should totally sign up for the madness! With single elimination anyone can win and the stakes have never been higher!

@uppercaseccc: Done!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thatpinguino  Staff

@rorie is going to be taking part in the Royal Rumble so sign up if you want a shot at the king!

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if I'm just missing this info, but is this being run in MTGO/MODO?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thatpinguino  Staff

@d4rksh33p: Its being run via Cockatrice because we can't easily set up our own private event on MTGO/MODO for people who aren't already deeply invested in MTGO. I don't think you can set up a private draft either way on MTGO. Cockatrice should allow everyone to play the deck they want to play in the rumble without spending money to do so.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino: I'll have to look into this program as I've heard the name before, but never had anyone to try it with. I've been out of the game for about a year+ now (Born of the Gods) and mostly played limited online then. In the old client there was a room for practice draft, but never saw anyone in it. I only played a few times in the new client so there might not be supported. Although that was only for 3-8 players to begin with and no support for multiple pods, cut to top 8, etc. That all being said I would be in for both FNM and Royal Rumble except there is a nonzero chance I need to be up early Sat to get on a plane for work. How late can I submit an entry?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thatpinguino  Staff

@d4rksh33p: I want to say next Wednesday so I can get a pm thread going to coordinate how this stuff is going to work for people who haven't used Cockatrice before. I haven't personally drafted on Cockatrice before, so I would ideally like to do a practice draft this weekend, if we get enough people. If we end up with less than 8 participants (or a number of drafters that isn't a multiple of 8 since I don't believe draft.io supports drafts of anything but 8), then we will have to default to a standard tournament and the organization becomes easier.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatpinguino: Ok. My travel schedule is entirely dependent on a customer meeting their dates. In general that means they will say they are on schedule until I get there and stand around a few days waiting for them to finish. I guess I'll just have to check in next Wednesday with you.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thatpinguino  Staff

@d4rksh33p: Can't you just tell them that you have important magical duties to fulfill? I'm sure they'll understand. There is a fat pack and a championship belt on the line!

reed32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like an awesome idea, I've been out of Magic for a while now (last set I remember is Return to Ravnica) but if events and gatherings are organized regularly I would heavily consider getting back into the game. Don't think I can commit to this event but i'm inspired to download cockatrice and mess around with some new cards.

Anything like this possible/feasible with Hearthstone? (private tournament?)

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'll skip a regular FNM to do this silly thing. Anyone want to jam some games tonight to get the feel of Cockatrice?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thatpinguino  Staff

@foil1212 sure! Send me a pm and we can get this set up.

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@foil1212 sure! Send me a pm and we can get this set up.

Alright, let me know when you're ready, just building decks now.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'm totally down to join up with this. Just been getting back into Magic and built some decks on Cockatrice before this went up ironically enough.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@d4rksh33p: I want to say next Wednesday so I can get a pm thread going to coordinate how this stuff is going to work for people who haven't used Cockatrice before. I haven't personally drafted on Cockatrice before, so I would ideally like to do a practice draft this weekend, if we get enough people. If we end up with less than 8 participants (or a number of drafters that isn't a multiple of 8 since I don't believe draft.io supports drafts of anything but 8), then we will have to default to a standard tournament and the organization becomes easier.

Did you ever end up doing a test draft? I'd be curious to see how well that works on Cockatrice. Assuming we have the 8 signups required.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thatpinguino  Staff

@devise22: We were not able to run one, but @bollard has done one before and I believe he will be one of the point people on the draft. I am going to have to drop out mid-way through to conduct my interview with Greg Kasavin so mostly going to be spectating until the Rumble.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok. I will not be traveling for work until next week, and I've got approval from the boss at home so I am in for both events. Now for the hard work of trying to learn where Standard is at in a few days. Does anyone have any issues if I go simple and try to find whatever RDW is legal right now? I know it's not always interesting to play against, but it might be simpler to jump into to not sift through all the big powerful cards that are out there. Although since it is Dragons of Tarkir, part of my just wants to make a ridiculous dragon deck whose only goal is to cast big beefers. Some of those dragons look fun from my initial glance at them.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By D4RKSH33P

@thatpinguino LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE! I've been clean for almost a year.

No Caption Provided

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thatpinguino  Staff

@d4rksh33p: RDW is a totally viable choice. The rumble is all about the potential crazy gauntlet that people can assemble. So go for it. There are multiple powerful dragon-based decks so you could go that route as well.

As for getting back into the game... first hit's free.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By D4RKSH33P

@thatpinguino: This is magic, only the mostly illegal hits (like Cockatrice) are free! The worst part is that I'm only a middling to below average player of the game that never even comes close to winning enough to justify the time and money.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds less like a Royal Rumble match and more like a gauntlet match, especially if the winner has to face a new challenger until he is knocked out.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thatpinguino  Staff

@cooljammer00: In those matches does the person who knocked out the original person then continue the gauntlet from where the first person left off?