SKYRIM: My first video review EVER!!!

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By TerraMantis

This is my first attempt at a video review. Hope you enjoy it. It actually ended being a lot longer than i had anticipated. When i write a review it tends to be around 12-20 pages and the review i wrote for the video was only 4 and it still turned out being 10+ minutes of audio.

Please forgive my voice being a little soft spoken and...a bit nasally. I was sick all last week and when i recorded this i wasn't over my headcold yet.

Also, please forgive my not-so timely review. Unlike "professional" game reviewers i couldn't get my copy of the game until a week ago and you really need some serious time put into the game to say you're qualified enough to talk about it. That being said, check out my written review in about a week for more depth into a thorough look at Skyrim.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TerraMantis

This is my first attempt at a video review. Hope you enjoy it. It actually ended being a lot longer than i had anticipated. When i write a review it tends to be around 12-20 pages and the review i wrote for the video was only 4 and it still turned out being 10+ minutes of audio.

Please forgive my voice being a little soft spoken and...a bit nasally. I was sick all last week and when i recorded this i wasn't over my headcold yet.

Also, please forgive my not-so timely review. Unlike "professional" game reviewers i couldn't get my copy of the game until a week ago and you really need some serious time put into the game to say you're qualified enough to talk about it. That being said, check out my written review in about a week for more depth into a thorough look at Skyrim.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By tekmojo

Well done, very elaborate. Make sure you edit the title of the video to fix the typo.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TerraMantis

@tekmojo: Thanks, I didn't even notice...I have dyslexia.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

Hey buddy :)

That is a tremendous review!!! As much as I enjoy listening to the bomb guys reviews/quicklooks, it is so so sooo important to have such quality user reviews. That being said, one tiny thing about this review that I thought could have been handled a little bit better, was the way that your scores were shown. They took all of about five seconds to run through 6-7 different scores. I think you should either slow that down, or maybe explain each one individually. That being said, this was a fantastic review... now... I can't wait to pick this up later today!!!!!!!!

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TerraMantis

@GloriousDinosaur: Thank you. I agree it goes to fast. When i watched it was pretty certain people would either not read it or pause the video (ruining the flow). I'll go into further detail when i finish the written review. I will give at least 10 seconds for the score in the future.

Thanks for the kind words and constructive criticism.

Avatar image for bruceleesoapdish
BruceLeeSoapdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BruceLeeSoapdish

Oh, Mr. Connery...is there anything he can't do?

Great review.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

While I was watching your video, I couldn't  help but think of Thief: Deadly Shadows. The third person camera of Skyrim really reminds of that game for some reason. 

Very in-depth review. 

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Deusx

Very good review my friend. Really well written and edited. The only thing I would add is to talk a little bit faster, with more confidence. Anyways, great work duder!

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By me3639

Good job you should feel great about your effort. This is the first review that i read or watched that touched on a lot of game detail that i was interested yet other reviewers neglected to discuss.

A few negatives:

Its a big game, but you have to work on getting it under 5 minutes.

Don't waste time with something most people will not understand(Connery as a Dragon).

Don't scroll your final scores on graphics, game play, etc.

Avoid trying to be funny/ sarcastic. Stick to the game and your thoughts.

Hot_in_rhinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hot_in_rhinos

Ahhhh hahaha...@ 10:35, it looks like you hold the guy's neck with your weapons so the horse can kick his head off.

Good stuff. I gave the actual review page my recommendation.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunExplosions

Don't listen to these guys, the laid back feeling of your review made it pretty humorous. In a positive way. Reminds me of thisguy; you should watch the whole thing. 

Only complaint is that it's quiet as hell. I have my volume on max and the audio's still pretty weak.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By zeforgotten

@me3639 said:

Good job you should feel great about your effort. This is the first review that i read or watched that touched on a lot of game detail that i was interested yet other reviewers neglected to discuss.

A few negatives:

Its a big game, but you have to work on getting it under 5 minutes.

Don't waste time with something most people will not understand(Connery as a Dragon).

Don't scroll your final scores on graphics, game play, etc.

Avoid trying to be funny/ sarcastic. Stick to the game and your thoughts.

5 minutes is way too short for a review, in my opinion. I like them when they're longer because then you get more out of them when it comes to them explaining about gameplay, story, sound and all the other stuff that may get covered in a review. Also why exactly should he change his personality just to please 2 or 3 more people? (the whole "funny/sarcastic" part) let the man be who he is. At least he didn't pull a Kessler in trying to put on a fake teen-talkshow personality. (I love you Kessler, you dumb bastard but man that was a terrible time of your life. Glad it changed a little)

@TerraMantis: Great review, especially considering that it was your first video review, you did what most nuggets on here only dream of doing. The sound could be a bit better (and louder) but other than that you did a great job.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TerraMantis

@FunExplosions

Thanks. Also, yes, i've seen that kid before and i really like his stuff. That video you linked in particular was really funny.

@ZeForgotten

Thanks a lot. I'll work on sound...i am new to it all. I also agree that 5 minutes is too short for a review. That being said, i also think my 12 minute one is much too long. I think in the future i will shoot for 6-8 minutes. I think that is the sweet spot. Most likely i'll be aiming for the 7-8 range. But like i said, it was my first review and i did not expect the short 4 pages i wrote for the review to turn into 10+ minutes of audio. I think 3 pages will be the amount needed for the desired timespan.

Either way, THANK YOU to everyone who watched and I don't plan to stop doing video reviews in the future, so check em out. Maybe i'll be so lucky that i won't even have a headcold which then everyone can hear my normal voice and i won't sound like an even greater dork than i already am.

I like the constructive criticism regardless. I was an art major in college...i am used to getting my work talked about.