• 62 results
Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll SNES vs Sega genesis VS N64 VS PS1 (230 votes)

SNES 57%
Sega genesis 17%
N64 13%
PS1 39%

Which console was the best? I think it's a close call between the SNES and the PS1.

• 
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@castiel: yea the price of those n64 games where high. $60 for 3rd party $50 for Nintendo $40 for greatest hits. Once the Dreamcast came out i was happy to stop buying n64 games.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@zelyre said:

SNES. By the time this system was out, people were nailing 2d gameplay.

Unless you grew up in the 90's with a PC with a Voodoo card, early 3d was rough as shit. Take off the nostalgia glasses, and you have games that have frame rates in the teens with dense fog fifteen feet away from you. The only 3d games that worked well were fighting games. Tekken 3 on the PSX was some voodoo magic.

I can think of quite a few games that were genre defining for console gaming. On top of Tekken 2 and 3 games like Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, and Tomb Raider all defined the PS1. They might not have been technically as powerful as PC games of the time but they were incredibly influential in how the mainstream audience perceived games.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zirilius said:

@zelyre said:

SNES. By the time this system was out, people were nailing 2d gameplay.

Unless you grew up in the 90's with a PC with a Voodoo card, early 3d was rough as shit. Take off the nostalgia glasses, and you have games that have frame rates in the teens with dense fog fifteen feet away from you. The only 3d games that worked well were fighting games. Tekken 3 on the PSX was some voodoo magic.

I can think of quite a few games that were genre defining for console gaming. On top of Tekken 2 and 3 games like Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, and Tomb Raider all defined the PS1. They might not have been technically as powerful as PC games of the time but they were incredibly influential in how the mainstream audience perceived games.

Metal Gear Solid was really bad ass. Same with Gran Turismo and Tekken 3. I think those titles stand the test of time; but they did so because they worked within the confines of what the PSX was capable of doing. They're the Super Mario 3 of its time.

While the Playstation/N64 was the birthplace of 3d gaming on the consoles, and a lot of those titles did heavily influence how games are made, it was the PS2 that took those rough, rough, rough ideas and made them work.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Ryagan

I personally enjoyed the N64 the most. I have a lot of memories with that console.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think I'm gonna have to say

1. PS1
  2. Genesis
  3. N64
  4. SNES

This is ordered because of the time and amount of games I played (and loved) from each system. I only had a SNES and N64 for a few years when I was pretty young and (regretfully) sold all that stuff to my local FunCoLand in order to buy a PS1.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By samanthademeste

The PS1 outsold the SNES, Genesis and N64 in global sales. I am not saying the other systems were bad, but the PS1 had a lot more users/fans then people give it credit for.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

With pain in my heart I'm going to give it to the PS1 instead of the MegaDrive. I guess since the PS1 shaped the industry as it is today. The MegaDrive is just styling on every other console though, from its name to its looks. I haven't even delved into the games yet.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

PS1 duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

For one single reason:

No Caption Provided

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I chose the SNES because, even though I never owned one, I played a lot of great SNES games. I also chose the Genesis because I have a lot of fond memories with it being my first console. The PS1 and N64 just had some many games that looked awkward or controlled awkwardly.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Probably SNES > Genesis > PS1 > N64 for me.

I'm not a big fan of Nintendo's own games and I don't like platformers and especially dislike 3D platformers, which I feel like rule out the N64 completely for me.

Sure the SNES has a ton of platfomers as well, but it has so many other kinds of games like RPGs and fighters, which is why it's followed so closely by the Genesis, which have the added benefit of SHMUPS.

The PS1 ticks all the right boxes of genre games for me, but then there's the part where everything is polygonal 3D, which is just a damn shame, since it hasn't aged as gracefully as the SNES and Genesis.

TheMexicanLP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The N64 is the most influential console on that list. I grew up with the snes, but nothingcan compare with all the classics on the N64 (SMW and Link to the Past combined wouldn't be as good as Oot or Goldeneye are separately). It's also better than the PS1 because of all the ports that are obviously better on N64 (glover, gauntlet legends, hexen, tony hawk pro skater, toy story 2, nightmare creatures, duke nukem, etc.).The controller introduced analog control, rumble support and it was the first controller to have a trigger attached. I can see there are a lot of people here who like to bash N64 without any reason, and I'd really like to know why they hate it so much. Also, N64 had StarCraft, you can't beat that!

cfilipec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

PS1 was a paradigm shift

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The N64 is the most influential console on that list. I grew up with the snes, but nothingcan compare with all the classics on the N64 (SMW and Link to the Past combined wouldn't be as good as Oot or Goldeneye are separately). It's also better than the PS1 because of all the ports that are obviously better on N64 (glover, gauntlet legends, hexen, tony hawk pro skater, toy story 2, nightmare creatures, duke nukem, etc.).The controller introduced analog control, rumble support and it was the first controller to have a trigger attached. I can see there are a lot of people here who like to bash N64 without any reason, and I'd really like to know why they hate it so much. Also, N64 had StarCraft, you can't beat that!

The N64 is an anomaly: it innovated in some really interesting ways, but was also really backwards in some terrible ways (cartridges were a mistake that cost them a huge amount of sales.) In the end, the library for the N64 are what held it back. Yes, Goldeneye, Ocarina and Mario 64 are great, but beyond that, there's not much. Especially compared to the PS1 which has a ridiculously massive number of games that might not individually be as revered as those N64 games, but add up to a whole lot more. Starcraft on console was awful.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themexicanlp said:

The N64 is an anomaly: it innovated in some really interesting ways, but was also really backwards in some terrible ways (cartridges were a mistake that cost them a huge amount of sales.) In the end, the library for the N64 are what held it back. Yes, Goldeneye, Ocarina and Mario 64 are great, but beyond that, there's not much. Especially compared to the PS1 which has a ridiculously massive number of games that might not individually be as revered as those N64 games, but add up to a whole lot more. Starcraft on console was awful.

What, doesn't everybody play RTS games at 480i with an analog stick?

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The N64 is my golden age of gaming. It's the era when I was informed enough to know what was worth playing.

Mario 64 and the N64 Zelda games were paradigm shifts. Nintendo got so much right when first attempting to translate their most popular games to 3D. Mario's movement set is so versatile and varied that simple running around the castle grounds stands as one of the most enjoyable experiences in gaming. Ocarina of Time was the first time I truly felt immersed in a living world. Majora's Mask was a bold departure from it's predecessor with the most satisfying side content of any game I've played.

Many hours were spent playing Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark and other games with friends. It was a social platform that hasn't been matched since. Minor dabbling with Counter Strike, Timesplitters, Battlefield and Halo have not changed that Perfect Dark is still the go to shooter among my friends and myself.

The SNES was my first home console, although I put in my time with the NES at friends' houses. I'll admit it may have a stronger library then the N64. I was such a dumb kid at the time and I missed many of the seminal games because of ignorance. Some (like Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, and Mario RPG) I managed to play later in life, but their impact was somewhat lessened by playing them so late. What I did play was a lot of Mario games, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, sports games, a lot of crappy licensed games and poor rental choices. The SNES is my close second in this poll, but I have some regrets about how poorly I took advantage of the machine.

I only have minor experiences with the Genesis and PlayStation. There was a time when I considered getting a PlayStation over a N64, but looking back I'm glad I had the experiences I did with Nintendo. Looking back on the library of PSX games, there's not much that I can say I'd have any interest in revisiting. Maybe my views would be different if I decided to go with PSX over N64.

I feel the same for Genesis. Sega fans of the era like to argue about sound and blood colour for games released on both platforms, but the choice is easy when it comes down to games. I'll take Mario over Sonic any day.

666TheGame666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. SNES

2. PS1

3. N64

4. Genesis