So I bought a game from gamestop the other day...

• 68 results
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Bocam

The one thing I don't like about game stop is how whenever you buy a used game, those stickers always fuck up the packaging.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By Chris2KLee

Clerk was just being lazy probably. They keep it in the sleeve usually behind the desk, and put the box out. When you payed for it, clerk figured he's just slip it in to be quick. At least that's how it was at my EB/GS.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I'm not sure if this has changed in the past couple of years, but GameStop employees used to be allowed to take home new copies of games, play them, and then they would be placed in the same location as display copies and sold as new. There was a big controversy about it in 2009.  

Their check-out policy:

Associates are allowed to check out one item of store merchandise for personal use for up to four days. Merchandise checkout is a privilege, not a right, and may be revoked at any time.

Hardware, accessories, sealed CDs or software programs that must be altered to install may not be checked out. If the on-hand quantity of a product equals one, the item cannot be checked out. Hot titles may also be prohibited from being checked out, regardless of the on-hand quantity in the store.

Associates may only check out items from the store in which they work. Associates are personally responsible for any merchandise they are allowed to check out.

Merchandise must be properly checked out in the Employee Merchandise Check Out Log in the Game Planner.

If the product is returned in unsellable condition, or if anything is missing from the package, or if the product is not returned, the Associate must purchase the product at the current price less Associate discount.

Copying of the software and/or manuals/instructions is illegal and is strictly prohibited. Merchandise that leaves the store without being properly checked out or purchase is considered to be unauthorized removal of Company property and may result in performance coaching up to and including termination of your employment.

Again, not sure if they still do this, so it might either be a display copy, or it may be a game an employee took home, played and brought back. Since check-out copies are placed with display copies, there's no real way for the employees to know the difference themselves. 

Source
Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By shivermetimbers

I actually like when they do it because they gave me a free disk sleeve. I tend to recycle game boxes and put the games into sleeves to save room. Weird thing to do, but I still do it.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By jorbear

Spread your legs for me and let me see your Dead Space...

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By WickedCestus

Well fuck. How are you supposed to play the damn game when it's in a sleeve? 

What bastards.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By toowalrus

Hope Bayonetta on the PS3 works out for ya, did they ever fix the issues that game had on PS3? ...man, I fucking love Bayonetta.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By gingertastic_10

Still don't understand the hate. The ones by me have been nothing but phenomenal. Great customer service and everything's been fine.

AlmostApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By AlmostApollo

The deal is that he paid for new, he should get new. It's just BS on GameStop's part and is why I never buy new from them. I want nice, sealed, non-stickered up games to put on my shelf.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By TerraDelu

Whenever they get a game in that they don't have the case for on the wall yet, they tear one open to use the case for display and put the game in a sleeve behind the counter. The game is still new.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By agentboolen
@jking47:  At least you received a disc in your case.  I bought my copy a couple months ago from Toys R Us and opened it up just to see a blank HP CD-R!!!  Lets just say I was pissed off with having to go back to Toys R Us just to return it (it was there last copy).  I later bought a copy from Amazon and just started playing it.  So far it seems so so.  For me I went through way to much trouble to play this game.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#62  Edited By AgentJ
@DougQuaid said:
"  If you ask for a new copy they should hand you a sealed case, none this behind the counter in a paper sleeve bullshit they try to pull. "
Getting a sealed copy doesn't really mean much; they have a shrink-wrapping machine in the back room. 
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By benjaebe

They always have gutted copies on display and keep the disc behind the counter, especially for older games where they might not have many new copies (like Bayonetta.) Ask if they have a sealed copy and they'll usually be pretty good about it. If it's the last copy they have left though then that's pretty much what you're stuck with.

The GameStop near me is great and I've never had any problems.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By neoepoch

You complain because IT'S NOT NEW. He can't go back and return the game as new because it was already FUCKING OPENED. This sucks and it has always sucked. And the worst part is they let their employees play the games, and then they still sell them as new. IF IT WAS PLAYED IT'S NOT NEW. FUCK.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#65  Edited By JJWeatherman

A lot of people are saying this doesn't matter, but it is something that would bother me personally. They should come up with a different dsplay solution. There's really no reason they have to keep the empty retail box up on a shelf.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Afroman269

When I buy new, I like to be the first person to take off the wrappings. 

McGriddle550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By McGriddle550
@zoskia said:
" @jking47: there's dead space between your legs....  ... "
Bow chika wow wow 
Also gamestop is a store that is built upon scams is this really shocking. but that does really suck
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By recroulette

That's like all of the "new" games I buy from Gamefly.  

The game being wrapped isn't a big deal for me. As long as no one else has used it before me, I'm good.