S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By BaneFireLord

I'm about to jump into the STALKER games and wanted some information. One, is it worth it to start with Shadow of Chernobyl or should I just go right to Call of Pripyat? Also, have Clear Sky's bug issues been mostly cleared up or will I have to install mods if I want it to run well?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

I've had these games for awhile, but I've yet to actually play them.  If you do play Shadow of Chernobyl, then you should download the Stalker Complete 2009 (2012) mod.  It supposed to make the game a lot more playable and pretty.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SoylentGreen
@Spoonman671 said:
" I've had these games for awhile, but I've yet to actually play them.  If you do play Shadow of Chernobyl, then you should download the Stalker Complete 2009 (2012) mod.  It supposed to make the game a lot more playable and pretty. "
Yeah, Shadow of Chernobyl kind of looks like ass by itself. Try mods, or start with one of the later games. I didn't really extract much story from SoC (Monolith, the Zone, "Get out of here, Stalker."), so you should be good story-wise if you want to just skip it.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@BaneFireLord:  first of all, your thread title along with your avatar look fucking pimp on the main forum board 
secondly, you'll break my heart if u go for CoP first. play SoC my friend.. 

@Spoonman671 said:
"If you do play Shadow of Chernobyl, then you should download the Stalker Complete 2009 (2012) mod.  It supposed to make the game a lot more playable and pretty. "
yup. 

And alot of Stalker fans hate Clear Sky so i'd say skip it
Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Karkarov

If you do skip one skip clear sky.  Shadow of Chernobyl is pretty much required to get the whole story, there are even some recurring characters oddly enough.  Unlike everyone else here I am not a graphics whore though and you can get the stalker complete mods sure, but the game is perfectly playable without them.  It just won't look like crysis, god forbid.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Yes, play them in order (maybe skip Clear Sky) and use the complete mods, esp. with Shadows of Chernobyl. I don't know what Call of Pripyat is like vanilla, but the graphics and lack of item repair in SoC weaken the experience.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#7  Edited By KillyDarko

Please, do play Shadow of Chernobyl. It's an amazing game and it should not be missed! :)

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CaptainTightPants
@Karkarov said:
" If you do skip one skip clear sky.  Shadow of Chernobyl is pretty much required to get the whole story, there are even some recurring characters oddly enough.  Unlike everyone else here I am not a graphics whore though and you can get the stalker complete mods sure, but the game is perfectly playable without them.  It just won't look like crysis, god forbid. "
The complete mod adds quite a few things besides better graphics.
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BaneFireLord
@Resident4t said:
" @Karkarov said:
" If you do skip one skip clear sky.  Shadow of Chernobyl is pretty much required to get the whole story, there are even some recurring characters oddly enough.  Unlike everyone else here I am not a graphics whore though and you can get the stalker complete mods sure, but the game is perfectly playable without them.  It just won't look like crysis, god forbid. "
The complete mod adds quite a few things besides better graphics. "
Is there any way to get the gameplay improvements without the graphical updates? I don't exactly have a "gaming PC" per se and I don't think I'll even be able to run vanilla SOC on max.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Animasta
@BaneFireLord said:
" @Resident4t said:
" @Karkarov said:
Is there any way to get the gameplay improvements without the graphical updates? I don't exactly have a "gaming PC" per se and I don't think I'll even be able to run vanilla SOC on max. "
oh trust me, it ran better with me with the mod then without. Even if you have a not as good PC, it still optimizes it a lot.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BaneFireLord said:
" @Resident4t said:
" @Karkarov said:
Is there any way to get the gameplay improvements without the graphical updates? I don't exactly have a "gaming PC" per se and I don't think I'll even be able to run vanilla SOC on max. "
I wouldn't worry about performance issues, you have to put the settings on Maximum to really start getting a hit on performance. If you can run SOC smoothly then you will be able to run the Complete Mod on medium or high.
oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oysteinBrenne
@Ahmad_Metallic said: 

@Spoonman671 said:
"If you do play Shadow of Chernobyl, then you should download the Stalker Complete 2009 (2012) mod.  It supposed to make the game a lot more playable and pretty.
That mod is unstabel as shit it creats all new glitches and bugs and makes the game crash even more!!! dont dowload it :(
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By McGhee

I don't know. I tried to play the first one but it crashed every five minutes and I gave up.

dark_being

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By dark_being

I played all 3 games. 
Start from Shadow of Chernobyl and move on to Clear Sky. I didn't like Call if Pripyat, so if I were you I'd wait after playing the two other games and decide then if I want to keep on to the third.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dystonym

In terms of quality, Call of Pripyat > Shadow of Chernobyl > Clear Sky. Call of Pripyat is also a lot easier than it's predecesors so if you're finding SoC too hard, jump into CoP. SoC Complete is a really good mod for the first game, I haven't tried any for Clear Sky but apparently Clear Sky complete is also good. CoP isn't that great as it causes a lot of crashes and the like. 

In short, SoC followed by CoP and then if you really can't get enough and you've finished both, Clear Sky.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Animasta
@dark_being said:
" I played all 3 games. Start from Shadow of Chernobyl and move on to Clear Sky. I didn't like Call if Pripyat, so if I were you I'd wait after playing the two other games and decide then if I want to keep on to the third. "
however, most people hate clear sky and love call of pripyat. Why did you like clear sky and not Pripyat?
dark_being

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By dark_being
@Laketown said:

" @dark_being said:

" I played all 3 games. Start from Shadow of Chernobyl and move on to Clear Sky. I didn't like Call if Pripyat, so if I were you I'd wait after playing the two other games and decide then if I want to keep on to the third. "
however, most people hate clear sky and love call of pripyat. Why did you like clear sky and not Pripyat? "
I though Clear Sky was more like Shadow of Chernobyl then Call of Pripyat was. It had great atmosphere and firefights, and the bugs didn't bother me too much. I never finished COP, since it was too boring, and a bit too linear. 
In my opinion: SoC>CS>CoP 
One should definitely play SoC, the others are only if you really really like this sort of games and the settings.