Super Mario RPG Appreciation and the future of Mario RPGS.

Avatar image for supersmashsnake
SuperSmashSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperSmashSnake

I saw Club Nintendo was offering Super Mario RPG and it got me thinking how much I love that game. I just love the vibrant colors, the music, and the intro is still mind-blowing to me.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This game is probably my most favorite on the SNES. I was lucky enough to have awesome parents to buy it for my birthday when I was a kid. It took me years to find out that they bought it for $100 and felt kinda bad asking for it lol.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

All I remember about it is that Geno was pretty bitching. Why don't you use him more often, Square-Enix?

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

if i love the gamecube paper mario would i love this?

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, I remember the game as well. It was pretty good.

I'm sorry, where's the discussion?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

I've already played through that game about 3 times over the years. It's fucking quality- though I'm not sure if it's actually better than the (first two) Paper Mario games- 'cause they're pretty great, too.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is basically the only reason I want a SNES VC on the 3DS.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 chaser324  Moderator

@thoseposers said:

If you like the Paper Mario games, I would definitely recommend trying out Super Mario RPG. It's quite a bit different than Paper Mario, but there are certainly some common elements in the gameplay and tone that you'll find in both.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I happily still have my old cartridge. Actually been thinking about giving it another go, since it's been awhile.

I made the leap from loving Super Mario RPG to loving the Paper Mario series as well, so... there's that. You're not guaranteed to like both by any means, since they're pretty different beasts. But if you can find it for a price reasonable to you, it's worth giving a shot.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WalkerD

I actually just played my SNES copy about a week ago when I broke out my SNES to play Yoshi's Island. Easily one of my favorites, it has a nice unique feel to it. I just feel bad that the cover on my cart is ripped along the top where it bends.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh man. I was thinking about this this morning for some reason. RIP Squaresoft...

SuperSmashSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest I have been disappointed with the last 2 Paper Mario games. I got bored with Super Paper Mario and the 3DS Paper Mario was a letdown.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've had an itch to play through this game again recently. Over the years I've probably played through it like 5 times at least. It's absolutely fantastic. Gun to my head, probably my favorite game of all time. Fuck Chrono Trigger, this is the best RPG on the SNES.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario RPG is great! One of my top 10 games. It's got an excellent soundtrack too. I always felt like the Mario and Luigi games were more like Super Mario RPG than Paper Mario was, given that they are more stat and equipment based.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By Levio

Did you know that those bonus stats you get to choose after each level up are setup so they offer higher bonus stats for certain selections on each level? Level 2 offers increased bonus magic attack, level 3 offers increased bonus attack, etc.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By oraknabo

Yeah, it's really good. So is Superstar Saga. I couldn't really get into the Paper Mario games though.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

I've only bought two Wii VC games ever, Mario World & SMB3, both games had terrible graphical glitches across the screen, whether component or composite, 480i or 480p, widescreen or 4:3. Even my TV, which zooms 4:3 exactly to 16:9, left strange bars around the image as if the games themselves weren't really 4:3 originally. The glitching is constant, and takes up a whole vertical bar of like the last 30-50 lines of resolution, with a pixelated purple inverse color look. Are all VC games this way? Do I really need to plug the wii into an old tube TV to enjoy em?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's no Paper Mario, but SMRPG is all right. Which, I guess that's all this thread is about.

GreekTrojan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMRPG was fantastic back in the day but doesn't hold up nearly as well now. Still fun but not up to the level of the Paper Mario games (especially TTYD).

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I never played SMRPG but love the Mario and Luigi games and the first two Paper Mario games (talk about a series that has gone downhill). I do want to play SMRPG sometime though...

SuperSmashSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SuperSmashSnake

SMRPG was fantastic back in the day but doesn't hold up nearly as well now. Still fun but not up to the level of the Paper Mario games (especially TTYD).

I am playing Fire Emblem on GCN but when I finish I am considering playing TTYD again. I still think it is a top 5 Gamecube game.

SuperSmashSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love if a Super Mario RPG 2 was made someday. (A Square made one.)

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

It's one of my all time favorite games. More people should play it, especially JRPG fans. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is better though.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I sure would love to play this game and join in with the appreciation thread, but I have 190 club nintendo coins. Super Mario RPG costs 200. This is bullshit.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game was cool although that Yoshi rhythm race was impossible for me to do. As far as Mario RPGs however I think Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga was my favorite.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I guess it took this thread to make me think about this, but Mario RPGs are fucking great aren't they? I haven't even played Super Mario RPG, but Paper Mario (the first two (I like Super Paper Mario but it's hardly an RPG)) and Mario & Luigi are goood.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Even though I finished the game, I didn't like it. What I didn't like about it I don't remember so don't ask.

SuperSmashSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SuperSmashSnake