super sigh.

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

What I think is a "true gamer" is someone who is dedicated to video games whether it be through researching recent news and whatnot within the industry and/or someone whose favorite hobby is to play video games, but both in particular.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Black_Rose

True gamers are the people who play and enjoy games, plain and simple. It's stupid to feel above the rest just because they don't know the same amount of things you do.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By delta_ass

I just ask them what their favorite games are. That's a pretty good indicator.

If they can only name games released in the last 4 years, that's probably not someone I'd take seriously.

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dopeman

this is everything i hate about the immature video game fanbase.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xyzygy
@Black_Rose said:

" True gamers are the people who play and enjoy games, plain and simple. It's stupid to feel above the rest just because they don't know the same amount of things you do. "

Yeah, but I'm not saying anything about putting myself above others. For example I'm tryin to have a converstion with someone about a game, they give me the impression they know a lot about it, and so I go into detail: "What do you think about the mechanics of the game? Do you like the setting?" etc, etc. (I wouldn't actually probe like that though :P) . They continue to talk a bunch of bullshit about the game when it's obvious they don't know much about it. Just those types of people. They just make me feel awkward when I want to have a discussion about a game. I'm not trying to get something out of them - they're just trying to make ME feel like they know a lot. 

@Linkyshinks: I LoL'd
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

You can tell when people are more casual gamers. Their knowledge is usually quite limited and they tend to just know about the real popular games and don't quite seem to understand the significance of many of them. I take games very seriously. There's also a lot of gamer posers out there who try to act like they know what's up, but I think it's generally pretty easy to see right through them.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy
@TheGreatGuero: Yeah, your post basically sums up exactly what I mean. Nice to know there is someone who gets me :'( 
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@xyzygy: Yeah, it's like a lot of people will talk about games a little just to try to fit in, but they don't really understand and just don't want to be totally left out of the loop when people are talking about or playing games. That's fine and all, but it can be disappointing when you find out that they don't have much of an idea as to what they're talking about when you're trying to have a legit gaming discussion.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
@ryanwho said:

" "True gamer"? Are you kidding? What does that even mean? What makes the fact that you spend an inordinate amount of time gaming "truer" than what a normal person does? if anything you're looking for fellow obsessives and addicts, which I wouldn't define "true gamer" by at all. "

Someone who spends a lot of time playing the guitar is bound to know much about the guitar, so when I talk to them about F# minor chords and how to make a 7 out of a minor barre, they will assume I know much about Guitar-ing. Correct? Well, actually I don't know much. I just know a few things. Doesn't the same apply with games? It's not necessarily the time you spend. It's how much you take in and share with others. You're twisting my words around to make it sound like I meant a slobbering fool who needs to get his mother to make him food at age 45 because he can't get off the couch.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keeping with the guitar analogy, you don't need to know a ton of theory to be a good guitar player. You don't need to know about the history of music to be a good guitarist either. 

I consider myself a gamer, but I rarely finish games due to boredom. Very few games keep me hooked to the end, and for that I blame my inability to stick with something I'm not having fun with, and the developers for not making a game that's engaging through the entire playthrough.  Now I may not finish a lot of games, but I definitely know what's going on in the industry, and try to keep up as best I can with the latest news. 

I consider anyone that doesn't just play Peggle and Wii Sports, doesn't consider people that play a lot of games geeks, and can use a controller to be a gamer.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy
@LiquidSwords said:

" So if someone doesn't nerd out as much as you do they're not true gamers? If they don't know specs or get all the latest info from different forums, websites or other dwebs, they must not know what they're talking about. A game is a game. You dig it or you don't.  What else do you want to get from it? "

Good point. But the problem is when people pass judgment on games, talk about them (positively or negatively) and they haven't even finished them. It's like watching 5 minutes of a movie, stopping it, and saying it was good/bad. You need the whole experience, which some people don't get. They just think a taste of the gameplay is enough. 

@Khann said:

" Keeping with the guitar analogy, you don't need to know a ton of theory to be a good guitar player. You don't need to know about the history of music to be a good guitarist either.   I consider myself a gamer, but I rarely finish games due to boredom. Very few games keep me hooked to the end, and for that I blame my inability to stick with something I'm not having fun with, and the developers for not making a game that's engaging through the entire playthrough.  Now I may not finish a lot of games, but I definitely know what's going on in the industry, and try to keep up as best I can with the latest news.   I consider anyone that doesn't just play Peggle and Wii Sports, doesn't consider people that play a lot of games geeks, and can use a controller to be a gamer. "

You may not NEED to know a lot, but it's understanding will definitely make you better.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By masternater27

If they've bought 2/3 of a Blazing Angel's game, History Channel game, or Cabella's game I know they don't have very good taste and probably have no idea what Super Metroid is.  That doesn't necessarily make them a "fake" gamer though.  They're just like the people that enjoy the epic/disaster/scary movie serieses, I could never have a real conversation with them about games/movies.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FCKSNAP
@xyzygy said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
" So if someone doesn't nerd out as much as you do they're not true gamers? If they don't know specs or get all the latest info from different forums, websites or other dwebs, they must not know what they're talking about. A game is a game. You dig it or you don't.  What else do you want to get from it? "
Good point. But the problem is when people pass judgment on games, talk about them (positively or negatively) and they haven't even finished them. It's like watching 5 minutes of a movie, stopping it, and saying it was good/bad. You need the whole experience, which some people don't get. They just think a taste of the gameplay is enough. "
I put a game down after 5 minutes and call it stupid all the time. Like Too Human.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy
@Snapstacle said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
Good point. But the problem is when people pass judgment on games, talk about them (positively or negatively) and they haven't even finished them. It's like watching 5 minutes of a movie, stopping it, and saying it was good/bad. You need the whole experience, which some people don't get. They just think a taste of the gameplay is enough. "
I put a game down after 5 minutes and call it stupid all the time. Like Too Human. "
Your loss? Yeah.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@xyzygy said:
" @Snapstacle said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
I put a game down after 5 minutes and call it stupid all the time. Like Too Human. "
Your loss? Yeah. "
Yeah, I agree. I find that my first impression of a game is often very different from my final impressions. It's not good to condemn things so quickly. When you do that, you're totally going to miss out of a lot of great stuff.
JoeOE18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoeOE18

I think this whole debate is clouded by the use of the term "True Gamer". It's too loaded a term; it implies that whoever it refers to is a "better" gamer. If you'd just asked the question: "How do you know if people are really into games?" then I don't think it would have been nearly as contentious. It seems to me that that is pretty much what you're getting at.

Personally, I don't really know anyone that I can talk about games in any real depth with. Most of the people I talk to aren't as interested in games as I am, so it's rare that'll I discuss anything other than FIFA in any great detail. I'd never really missed that kind of conversation, but now that you brought it up I realise that it would be quite nice to have that kind of person knocking about. I expect that's what the internet is good for though.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy
@JoeOE18 said:

" I think this whole debate is clouded by the use of the term "True Gamer". It's too loaded a term; it implies that whoever it refers to is a "better" gamer. If you'd just asked the question: "How do you know if people are really into games?" then I don't think it would have been nearly as contentious. It seems to me that that is pretty much what you're getting at. Personally, I don't really know anyone that I can talk about games in any real depth with. Most of the people I talk to aren't as interested in games as I am, so it's rare that'll I discuss anything other than FIFA in any great detail. I'd never really missed that kind of conversation, but now that you brought it up I realise that it would be quite nice to have that kind of person knocking about. I expect that's what the internet is good for though. "

Yeah, I guess you're right. In my mind, I think I was differentiating between Poser Gamers, Casual Gamers, and Hardcore Gamers. Maybe that's why people are acting so harshly about what I say, haha.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Bigandtasty
@JoeOE18 said:
" I think this whole debate is clouded by the use of the term "True Gamer". It's too loaded a term; it implies that whoever it refers to is a "better" gamer. If you'd just asked the question: "How do you know if people are really into games?" then I don't think it would have been nearly as contentious. "
Agreed. Your question isn't a bad one (how do I find people I can talk about games with), but the use of the term "true gamer" is quite the turnoff.
memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By memo
@xyzygy:  i know how you feel. my friends only play cod and thats all they know.  thats cool and i respect that but it seems that when i talk to them about a new game im the only one talking about since they dont know anything about the game since they have done research or visit awesome sites like giantbomb.  I need someone that i can talk to and can know what im talking about instead of just agreeing with me.
Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Druminator

I guess a true gamer is someone who appreciates video games as a whole and doesn't favor one console over another. Someone who's up to date on all the gaming news. Someone who plays a lot of games and doesn't just dominate one for many years. That's about it I guess.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
@Druminator: Yeah, you're really getting at what I was thinking, big time. 

@memo: AHH, CoD is another culprit! I know how you feel in that position too :(
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By fuzzyponken

Pretty much all my friends are as into games as me. It's all we fucking talk about.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dbz1995

Seriously, just make random references to popular games that you know, but make them fairly...hidden...discreet. If they are a true gamer, they will understand. You can see it in their eyes.
Also, talk to us. Most of us are true gamers.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By crusader8463

Anyone who feels the need to call themselves a true anything is probably not. If the person takes the time to find a site like this, make an account and actually post on the forums about games, then they are a gamer. The idea that some one is 1337, uber, true, better etc. then someone else is just a sign of mental issues and or youth. Just because you like something more then another person doesn't mean your better or worse then them. You both like the same thing, only one of you took the time to learn and study the subject while the other just has a passing interest. 

I would say more but my head keeps slamming on the keyboard ofter ever other word because i'm so tied right now. If this is still going when i wake up i will post something more insightful and descriptive.

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ascholzk
@Delta_Ass:  im sorry but what if they have been a gamer for only a few years; just because they enjoy more recent games doesn't mean they are not a true gamer.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@ryanwho said:

" "True gamer"? Are you kidding? What does that even mean? What makes the fact that you spend an inordinate amount of time gaming "truer" than what a normal person does? if anything you're looking for fellow obsessives and addicts, which I wouldn't define "true gamer" by at all. "

You don't need to be "obsessive" to take something seriously.  What about something like football, would you consider someone who only casually watches a few matches with friends a "true" football fan, compared to someone who pays a lot of attention and regularly follows it?

@crusader8463 said:

" Anyone who feels the need to call themselves a true anything is probably not. If the person takes the time to find a site like this, make an account and actually post on the forums about games, then they are a gamer. The idea that some one is 1337, uber, true, better etc. then someone else is just a sign of mental issues and or youth. Just because you like something more then another person doesn't mean your better or worse then them. You both like the same thing, only one of you took the time to learn and study the subject while the other just has a passing interest.   I would say more but my head keeps slamming on the keyboard ofter ever other word because i'm so tied right now. If this is still going when i wake up i will post something more insightful and descriptive. "

Again, I think some of you are getting very confused with what the OP is talking about.  This isn't elitism, or attempting to make yourself sound superior to anyone else, but perhaps just looking for people who geniunely share an interest in something.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I play games, but i'm not a "True Gamer". We can therefore deduce that I am a "False Gamer". Right? Because, I mean, if I can't beat a boss in a game and you can, obviously I am inferior to you on some abstract gaming social level.

/sarcasm

I don't know why it's so important to put people into categories.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By evanbrau

Why can't people who play games just act like rational people and not feel the need to make up about a thousand labels to make themselves feel better about themselves or something. If you differentiate between "true" gamers and anyone else you are pretty much a snob and a huge part of why people who play games aren't taken seriously. I've genuinely never been able to understand why people who play games are always drawn to immature labeling and oneupmanship.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By L33tfella_H
@xyzygy said:
" I was at a friends place tonight and I was talking to a guy there about a ton of games, and I could tell that he, like myself, is an avid gamer. How did I know this? We were talking about Prototype and how frustrating the end boss was. He really impressed me because I know that only "True Gamers" would actually stick through that boss (and game) and actually finish it.
...Yea, the boss in prototype was actually easy, you just suck at games. Pweened.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#35  Edited By Vinchenzo

If you've played Half-Life then you are a true gamer. Easy enough.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By angelkanarias

I can understand the part where you say you can't talk about videogames with your friends, your friends are't too deep in gaming, but that doesn't mean they aren't gamers. That can mean they are casual gamers and you are a hardcore gamer.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By MikeFightNight

I think the difference between a "True Gamer" as you explain it and someone else who just plays some games is just that.  It's like someone who is really into cars and knows the newest models coming out and all the little differences between them, as compared to someone who just likes to drive a car and thinks this one look badass over that one for no other reason than it's colour. 

I would perfer to use the term "game enthusiast" over "true gamer"
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By torus

I would rather be a Grue Tamer than a True Gamer.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust

Well, as has been stated, your use of the term "True Gamer" was a bad choice of words.  You may not see it yourself, but it does suggest elitism by the very use of the word "true".  That's the same kind of bullshit politicians and other talking-heads use to exclude people who don't follow their viewpoint.  So-and-so isn't a "true American" because... Joe Whatshisface is a "true patriot" because he supports...  It defines "true" people (people who are like you or subscribe to your position) as better than those who are logically by comparison, "untrue".  

I think you understand that now, but you should also be wary of terms like "Casual Gamer", "Hardcore Gamer" and "Poser Gamer".  In each situation, you are appraising a group of players by your personal standards.  This is evidenced by your dismissal of WoW players as "true gamers".  The problem here is that you're seeking to find other gamers who can speak with the same level of intricate knowledge of games that you can.  But that knowledge is entirely relative.  Talk with an experienced WoW player and you'll soon discover that many have a meticulous understanding of the game.  Of its mechanics, instances, patterns of combat, crafting system, economy and lore.  They may only play one game, but they know it as well as the Pope knows the Bible.  

Each person can only be familiar with what they've experienced.  So, the question you ask, and I gather this was your actual inquiry, is how do I know if someone is as experienced in a particular game as they claim to be?  And, I think you know the answer already, too.  If you ask or make references to specific sequences from a game, and that person is vague or wrong then they are not as fully familiar with the game as you.  This does not necessarily mean they are lying to you, though.  Many games have different options or pathways, and they may have followed a different course.  Sometimes in "polite society" we go along with something someone else is saying to continue being social.  If that person was to say, "I don't know what you were playing, but I never saw any of that"  the conversation might become contentious.  If the object is to make friends that can talk to you about your hobby, then you probably don't want to start by accusing them of being less than sincere.  It is very possible that they have a deeper knowledge of something else, but are waiting to bring that up.  And,  it's equally possible that they, too are lamenting not being able to find someone to talk with about their particular interest.  I don't know how many times I've seen gamers who enjoy shooters berate RPG fans and visa-versa.  The truth of the matter is no matter how smart we think we are on a subject there is someone else out there who is smarter.  You may think you are a "true gamer", but perhaps because you may have never played Infocom games, MUDs or many of the classics, you're not a "true gamer."  Such classifications are relative and serve little purpose than to divide and alienate us further.  The goal of each of us as gamers and human beings should be to accept the limitations of our peers and educate them if they are wanting.  

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By GunstarRed

im gonna get a tattoo of sonic the hedgehog...i shall be the truest
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

a person knows a lot about video games. a person that barely knows anything about video games.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Otacon

I don't really like the whole, 'lets sort ourselves into a small group'. the whole 'True Gamer' thing sounds almost Nazi like in its approach. Think of games like films, loads of people like films but not everyone likes the same films, when two people like the same films thats called having a common taste, no one is right or wrong in their taste and no one is a truer fan to the medium for having a different taste. Secondly, you also get film buffs just like you get heavy game players, they may put themselves above others in terms of snobbery but they hold no big status above others. Don't treat gaming like an insecure clique, it doesn't matter how long someone has been playing games, or how much they play them, if they have a genuine like for games then they are as true as a 'gamer' can get. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MeierTheRed

God i hate all these terms, true gamer, casual, hardcore. It´s retarded, what happened to just being gamers? enjoying the games no matter what stupid platform you play them on? what happened to people who could actually see the negatives and the positives in the system or systems they own? 

When the hell did this culture get side tracked, into putting people in categories. It´s like metal, i love metal been listening to that since i was 7 year old, so thats around 20 years now. And what i always hated about that genre, is all the damn sub genres in it, and the people fighting over what fucking genre is best or more brutal... even though they essentially listen to the same damn genre. You have a guy who knows his shit about the origins and the creators of Black Metal, and then there is the other guy who listens to Industrial Metal, but actually enjoys Black Metal too, but his knowledge might not be as big as the other guy. 

Now does that make him less of a true metal lover than the other guy? Is the guy playing Pac-Man exclusively for 5 hours a day less of a true gamer than the guy who plays Halo 3 or Killzone 2 online every night? 

You like games and play them on a frequent basis, your a goddamn gamer, no such thing as a true or a false gamer. You play a game for 10 minutes and think it sucks and only talk shit about, you still as much of a gamer as a guy who finished the same game, even if it was bad or good. 

Knowing the industry or what going on in the news of games, had nothing to do with it, i see that as a hobby. People can still play and enjoy games without knowing that Grin just went down the drain. 

I have no idea where i´m going with this now, all i know is i hate all these terms that gets thrown around.    

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By super_machine

I know what you mean. I have a friend at work who got all the way to the end of infamous and stopped a few missions before the last boss. I keep bugging him to finish it because I want to discuss the plot twist at the end.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By NickM
@Linkyshinks said:
" They have at least one X in their username or Gamertag "
a Z helps as well
Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dark_Jon

True Gamer? What the hell? Have you ever heard of a True Movie Watcher or a True Music Listener? Stop dividing games off from other media. I also hate the term gamer, why do people who play games have to be stereotyped as being people who stay in their houses all day while it is possible *gasp* to play games and also do other things in the same day.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Th3_James

TRUE GAMER: NOT A FANBOY/FANGIRL

plays good games regardless of what platform they are on.

OR anyone who has a passion for gaming, they could only have 1 platform, but if they are content with that, then it's fine for them

True gamer is an odd phrase, i hate using terms like true gamer, hardcore gamer, or gamer... they sound fuckin ridiculous, i preffer to just say that i play games

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gmanall

I think this boils down to wanting to have a elite group because you feel you should not called just a gamer when a mother of 3 who plays for a hour a day can be called a gamer and you may spend hours a day just researching a game and have 23 hrs of podcast a week .

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MikkaQ
@rjayb89 said:
" What I think is a "true gamer" is someone who is dedicated to video games whether it be through researching recent news and whatnot within the industry and/or someone whose favorite hobby is to play video games, but both in particular. "

Yes, I agree completely. I'm the douche who buys games, plays a couple levels, then ADD quits, and I think that'S not really hindering my "True Gamer"-ness, not that it's a title I REALLY covet haha. But what I do is keep tabs on the industry hardcore, I got the rumors locked down, I look at who's working where, what they're working on, stuff like that. I really enjoy following the industry, and I also read up a lot on older games, and gaming history. So much so that I'm probably qualified to write a goddamn book. Yet, then again, I can't beat like.. a zelda game or something. I just can't sit through some games. Doesn't really make me any less of a gamer, I just prefer the action from the sidelines.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Baillie

True gamers don't play a shit game like Prototype.