The end of optical drives

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

Will the next generation of consoles have optical drives at all? Internal HDs or even flash cards both seem like options at the moment but is it too soon? Will they make the leap? Honestly I think Nintendo will probably do it first, they never liked using discs and I still think they lament the "death" of the cartridge for non-portable systems. A cartridge was costly to produce, sure, but the loading times were nonexistent. 

Sony on the other hand, is probably the last company that will consider ditching optical drives. The investments they've made in blu Ray tech is considerable and ditching it now would turn heads I think. And look how well they handled a drive-free portable system.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You need really big hardrives in order to do that, not sure if it's cost effective. A 2 TB hd isn't going to last you a whole gen for games, well it might.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I think Blu-Ray is just really gaining ground, and I don't see it being replaced next gen. Maybe next next gen, but not next gen.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jost1

People with Steam seem to do OK.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@josty81: I'm already running out of hardrive space, I need a second one. I uninstalled like a quarter of my games already just to have enough space. It's like near 4- 8 gigs per game these days. I also don't have a third of my games installed either. There are even gamers on steam with more than 150 games, honestly I wonder what is their storage? Slow 2TB green drives?
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jost1

Well there's the cloud storage that you get with Steam, I think that's a viable option.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

The biggest issue of cloud computing in a larger scale is consumer internet. Bandwidth limits suck.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

It depends on how far off the next gen of consoles is I think.

I'd guess MS will want to go no-optical first because they might not want to license bluray tech (DVD will be too small next gen, and what other tech would they use?).  Nintendo will stay with disks because they're further behind in online infrastructure and large storage devices would raise their console prices above what they'd want to do.  Sony might just stick with bluray another gen, it seems to be something they'd want to do, and there's still more than enough space.

Games keep increasing in size, the downloaded games market is still tiny compared to store-bought disks, bandwidth limits from ISPs...  I don't think we're there just yet.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Diamond said:
" It depends on how far off the next gen of consoles is I think.  I'd guess MS will want to go no-optical first because they might not want to license bluray tech (DVD will be too small next gen, and what other tech would they use?).  Nintendo will stay with disks because they're further behind in online infrastructure and large storage devices would raise their console prices above what they'd want to do.  Sony might just stick with bluray another gen, it seems to be something they'd want to do, and there's still more than enough space.  Games keep increasing in size, the downloaded games market is still tiny compared to store-bought disks, bandwidth limits from ISPs...  I don't think we're there just yet. "
Sony can keep the format because some Blu-ray discs I heard has doubled in size or something similar from dual layer.
Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Pessh

Sure, just look at the success of the PSPGO

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By unclejohnny79
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @josty81: I'm already running out of hardrive space, I need a second one. I uninstalled like a quarter of my games already just to have enough space. It's like near 4- 8 gigs per game these days. I also don't have a third of my games installed either. There are even gamers on steam with more than 150 games, honestly I wonder what is their storage? Slow 2TB green drives? "
i have 150 games, but only about 5-10 installed at one time since i cant play 150 games at once
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@unclejohnny79: What do you do with the games with installations limits and DRM like crysis warhead for example with 5 installation limit? I don't want to mess with those incase I lose an installation limit. I keep them on the hd whether I want to or not.
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jost1

The PSPGo is a great example of how NOT to do it.  But what I'm saying isn't necessarily to move everything online - I'm saying cartridges may come back in the form of flash memory, possibly, at least from nintendo.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By mosdl
@josty81 said:
" Well there's the cloud storage that you get with Steam, I think that's a viable option. "
Steam cloud is for saves...

And streaming games is a bad idea.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By luce
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MysteriousBob

The hard drive space and bandwidth of the average consumer simply isn't there yet. Maybe after another generation it can be considered.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By warxsnake

Havent bought a single DVD based game on PC since 2004, everything I buy is online either from steam or d2d. the only disks i buy are for the ps3 and i wish i didnt have to do that, ive grown past the stage where having stacks of useless and space consuming game boxes everywhere is cool long ago. 

anyway its ok since the only games I buy on PS3 are the exclusives so it doesnt amount to too much crap on my shelves. All multiplatform games I play on PC. 

thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thatguy42

Well if the media can be downloaded without having to worry about DRM or losing everything I can see this happening.  The only reason why I believe this hasn't happened already is because people are afraid of switching over to something that can be taken away at any moment.  I personally prefer having a physical disc because I don't want to lose things that I paid for just because some person decides to shutdown their servers or because my HDD fried and I had no backup.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By defaulttag

If they can somehow implement a Steam-like infrastructure where everything is tied to your account, with freedom to delete, and redownload games (and data saves), as well as play those games offline, then I'm all for it.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By zidd

Optical drives aren't going away any time soon. I can only fit like 25-30% of my steam library on my laptop at once. I bet Microsoft would love to ditch the optical drives to sell more incredibly expensive pseudo-proprietary hard drives.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By iam3green

i don't think so. i have a slow internet broadband and it sucks having them. it takes a while to download things.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Warfare
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By haggis

I can't stand optical media. CDs were great at the time, and offered substantial benefits over floppies for data storage, but long-term? No. The discs get scratched and fail. I'd much rather have an online storage system. But the problem really is bandwidth. Unless the console has a terabyte drive (no big deal, really, since you can pick one up for $75 these days), storage may be a problem. But how many games do I play at a time? Just two or three. But now I can just pop a disc in and play. Otherwise, I'd have to re-download. Even with 10mbps, that's a lot of data to download (and my shit ISP limits me to 100gb/month). Xbox LIve Arcade's system works great for small games: they know you've bought it, so all you have to do is re-download if you've deleted the game. But with multiple-gigabyte games? It's a problem.

As much as I'd love to see optical media go away, I'm not seeing an easy solution. New consoles are still a few years away, though, so maybe there will be a solution. Like, for instance, being able to play a game while it's still streaming down to your console, like how we deal with video. Don't know how that might work, but it would solve some of the waiting problems. The other solution we're seeing is games played on a central server, and we're streamed the video (basically, what OnLive is doing). I'm not a big fan of that, though, even if I can see the advantages.

Eventually flash will be cheap enough to use in games. I'd almost prefer that to optical. I'd really prefer no media at all. Physical media is so 20th century.

Avatar image for 345t3rfgsdfwsdf
34wsdfsdfwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 34wsdfsdfwe

The future is cloud/ online storage I presume, physical storage units are already under the process of being phased out.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Radar

Storage prices would have to plummet before the gaming industry even considers it. MS is in more of a position to do it because they're not tied down by Bluray  and their games being a lot smaller in terms of gigs. 

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jost1
@Radar said:
" Storage prices would have to plummet before the gaming industry even considers it. MS is in more of a position to do it because they're not tied down by Bluray  and their games being a lot smaller in terms of gigs.  "
Like I said earlier, I'm 90% Nintendo would like to drop optical discs as soon as possible
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By trophyhunter

no discs will live on for a long long time and you a fucking moron if you we are all going digital tomorrow.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By yukoasho
@josty81 said:
" @Radar said:
" Storage prices would have to plummet before the gaming industry even considers it. MS is in more of a position to do it because they're not tied down by Bluray  and their games being a lot smaller in terms of gigs.  "
Like I said earlier, I'm 90% Nintendo would like to drop optical discs as soon as possible "
Nintendo's probably the least likely to go all-digital.  They've never put more than a token effort into online infrastructure, and they've made it plenty clear that they're not going to get much better.  It's entirely possible they'd go to a flash-based media for the next generation, but I don't see them going all digital.

And console games, as people say, are getting bigger all the time.  In ten years we've gone from the average game being 500megs to 6-8 gigs, and with an increased demand for high-definition gaming and Sony's 3D initiative (which MS is going to follow for their next console at least), that size is going to balloon up something fierce.  It's just not going to happen because the visual and audio files keep getting bigger
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jost1

Yeah in Nintendo's case I think a flash based cart system is a possibility. 

In Microsoft's case, digital is right around the corner.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Well, in the sound recording department, I've seen table top CD recorders
being replaced with table top compact flash card recorders.  They do the 
same thing but record over more disk space than a CD can record to & 
are reusable.  Current cost  is about $500.

So if something like a CF card can end up holding more data than a 
blu-ray disk & is cheaper to manufacture, then CF cards or "cartridges"
will cycle back into favor for awhile.  I've noticed that it's more of a 
cycle between the mediums, disk & cartridge, than something where
one medium takes over forever from the other.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @Diamond said:
" It depends on how far off the next gen of consoles is I think.  I'd guess MS will want to go no-optical first because they might not want to license bluray tech (DVD will be too small next gen, and what other tech would they use?).  Nintendo will stay with disks because they're further behind in online infrastructure and large storage devices would raise their console prices above what they'd want to do.  Sony might just stick with bluray another gen, it seems to be something they'd want to do, and there's still more than enough space.  Games keep increasing in size, the downloaded games market is still tiny compared to store-bought disks, bandwidth limits from ISPs...  I don't think we're there just yet. "
Sony can keep the format because some Blu-ray discs I heard has doubled in size or something similar from dual layer. "
blue ray can actually hold a massive amount of data with several layers, and these discs can be read by the PS3. Its something like 140Gb or something insane like that with a 14 layer BD
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
" @Diamond said:
Sony can keep the format because some Blu-ray discs I heard has doubled in size or something similar from dual layer. "
blue ray can actually hold a massive amount of data with several layers, and these discs can be read by the PS3. Its something like 140Gb or something insane like that with a 14 layer BD "
Yes, but if a CF card can hold that much or more than that, then
nobody has to pay a license to Sorny to use or include blu-ray
in their wares.  Same reason big time competitors don't put apps
in the iphone app store: they don't want to give a cut of their
profits to Apple.
ButtonMasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ButtonMasher
@HitmanAgent47:  I've been using Steam since HL2 came out and I've got just over 250 games, about 95% of which are installed. Surprisingly it uses just under 500GB (on a relatively fast Samsung SpinPoint drive), but then not every game I buy is a triple A blockbuster needing 16GB like GTA IV or Mass Effect which is just under 11GB. I buy indie games and adventure games too, which brings down the space requirement a lot - Geometry Wars is 80 MB for example. It's easy to accrue a lot of games through Steam deals, the iD Super pack is about 22 games. Backing it all up is fairly simple, just quit Steam and copy your SteamApps folder to a USB drive. Reinstall Steam and just move the SteamApps folder into the right place. Also there's the inbuilt thing which will do that work splitting it up into sizes you determine. If you use the SteamApps folder method, it sometimes re-downloads portions of games but if you tell it to stop and re-verify the cache for a game it usually stops. By backing it up I wouldn't imagine that this constitutes a re-install, since you aren't invoking an installer so DRM shouldn't matter. I bought a new PC in November and moved it all across without any issues.
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By DevWil
@defaulttag said:
" If they can somehow implement a Steam-like infrastructure where everything is tied to your account, with freedom to delete, and redownload games (and data saves), as well as play those games offline, then I'm all for it. "
except for the game saves part, you've just describled the xbox live marketplace and (as far as i know) playstation network. 

optical media isn't going anywhere. 

first of all, digital distribution practically requires the user to use a credit/debit card, which is a problem for many minors.  minors make up a significant portion of games sales.  furthermore, many minors receive games as gifts.  i've never heard of anybody receiving a nintendo points card as a gift, but i've definitely heard of people getting wii and DS games as gifts.  maybe in a generation or two it'll be more common for gift-givers to be literate enough in game technology to give kids MS/Nintendo points (if they're still around), but that's the distant future and wishful thinking.

most importantly, it absolutely requires the user to have their game console connected to the internet and more people than you'd think are still rocking an xbox with the old dashboard/UI.  as a game enthusiast, the idea of not having your 360 or PS3 connected to the internet is crazy, but for tons of people it's a non-issue.  i doubt more than 50% of Wii owners have ever taken their console online (not that the internet features of the wii are nearly as compelling as the other two current gen home consoles). 

also, game prices stay stupid high if it's all digital distribution.  CoD4 is $40 on the XBLM and it's $15 used at gamestop right now.  there's little incentive to clear old stock when it's non-physical media and used game sales disappear (for better or worse). 

i feel like i'm echoing sentiments expressed on past bombcasts, but it's all true. 

also, i'd still like my hundreds of DVDs to work in my game console. makes my home entertainment situation simpler. 

i love digital distribution for a lot of reasons, but the industry moving exclusively to that platform is totally unrealistic. 

the PSPgo isn't a total mess because there's still a PSP for people not willing/able to get their handheld connected to the internet for game purchases.  if you want to speculate about sony, MS, and nintendo offering disc-free OPTIONS, that's totally different.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Siphillis
@josty81 said:
" People with Steam seem to do OK. "
And developers are reporting more than 50% profit increase per title sold compared to retail units. 

To which I ask, "Why the fuck is Modern Warfare 2 still $60!?"
defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By defaulttag
@DevWil: Indeed XBLA and PSN have that structure I described. However, not all full game releases are in the service. XBLA does have games on demand, which is great, and I'd prefer that over putting a disc in anyday. Sony on the other hand, I wish would start doing that. I'd love to have God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 in my hard drive. As of right now, game saves are still limited in terms of transferring them, requiring a USB drive, and even then, the PS3 trophy support has limited the transfer of game saves. I believe Valve games on PC for sure keeps your saves online via Steamcloud. If they somehow had that for consoles (PS3 might with the newly announced Steamcloud support). As for the issue about minors, owning a credit/debit card, and having a box product for a present, I do agree with. However, kids are becoming more digital, or at least tech savvy. My cousin, who is a minor, is an avid PC Steam user. His parents buy him games over Steam all the time. If making online downloadable purchases like that became easier on consoles with security so that the minor does not directly make purchases without the parent's presence or consent, then that would be a great solution. As for the high prices of digital distribution, Steam has crazy sales. I wish Microsoft and Sony would do the same. 

In terms of realism, yeah, that's correct. It's way too early to have gaming exclusive to a digital distribution structure. Not all gamers are connected to the internet. For DVDs, I love netflix. If only they had Blu-ray quality movies on that service, though. The world has been used to buying and trading physical products for as long as humans have existed. Obviously having digital distribution for all media would not work today. Now in the future, when perhaps over 70% of the population is connected online (if that even happens), then digital distribution would be fine. 

Steam, perhaps, is a luxury, for a very small niche: 1. Hardcore PC gamers with high end hardware 2. People with a credit/debit card. 3. People with internet access 4. People who have time to actually play games

But if everyone somehow had access to digital distribution, then I'd think people would prefer it THEN. Physical media takes up space, gathers dust, and can potentially get damaged or even rot.

Now. If they do offer an OPTION, like you said, that would be brilliant. What if every game that ever came out on disc came with a download code for a digital version of the game similar to what DVDs and Blu-rays are doing today? Combine that with a Steam-like infrastructure, and I think it would actually start the migration towards complete digital distribution. The disc could be used if you want to let someone borrow the game, or trade it in (i hope not), or if you simply have no hard drive space. The digital version would just be tied to the original buyer's account. 

Digital distribution is controversial and there's no solution for it right now due to today' current situation in the market and what people are used to buying. Personally, I love digital distribution, but only because I can afford to use it.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lunar_Aura

This generation will last until at least 2012 and when the next generation of consoles hit, I betcha optical drives are gone from the system. It will be cloud but not in the way OnLive is doing it (OnLive: All game assets and rendering is server based). Next-gen will have localized hardware but cloud storage i.e. all game assets will be loaded to your console RAM or temporary hard disk as cache (the latter being more likely). The easy way to imagine this is like how your optical media is used now, except all the data is loaded from your ethernet port instead of your optical drive. The entire game isn't loaded on the fly, just the necessary assets to run whatever or wherever you are in the game.

Broadband penetration and draconian ISP limitations need to move the right way for any of this to happen, of course. I'll bet that somewhere between 2012-2015 cable tv will be dead, fiber broadband will be the standard and we'll finally see the next-gen consoles in the manner I described.
ButtonMasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ButtonMasher
@Siphillis:  I read that Steam allow the publishers to determine the asking price at any given time, so it's possible that the guys who took umbrage with Infinity Ward have a say. MW2 is a game that I don't own, too many hacks amongst other reasons.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Marz

old video game cartridges were basically flash memory(roms), they got phased out mostly due to being expensive to produce and they didn't hold a ton of storage compared to CD's during sega saturn and playstation era.   I guess you can see a comeback but a bluray disc is still alot cheaper to produce than a 60gb flash memory card or hard drive.   And i'm basically talking about consoles, portable game systems already use some form of flash storage device.

Also there is still a ton of people who don't have broadband internet, so asking that market of people to try to play a console that has a games of demand service with no optical media games would be closing the door on a somewhat large userbase.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gaff
@DevWil:  
  • The credit / debit card issue is only an issue for buying the game. For actually playing the game you don't need a credit / debit card attached. Also, according to the ESA, the most frequent game buyer is, on average, 39 years old. The average gamer is 35 (Source: ESA). I don't feel like pulling out the maths, but that significantly reduces the significant portion of game buyers that minors make up. 
  • The prices for digitally distributed games is a direct result of the stranglehold brick and mortar retailers have. Remember the tantrum retailers had when Sony announced the PSP Go? Retailers profit immensely from used games sales and as sellers of the systems and the still huge chunk of brick and mortar purchases they still have a huge influence over the publishers. Risking their ire would mean less orders, less sales. And you can count on retailers being quite happy about taking in any title for second hand sales. You can take a look at the Apple App Store and see how cutting out the retailers works out for game prices.