FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By FLStyle

Tuesdays, 7PM PDT Live on IPLAYWINNER.TV

FrameTrap is a weekly, community-driven broadcast about competitive fighting games, hosted by "Haunts" (CEO / Founder, IPLAYWINNER) and "Mr Jared" Rea (Creative Director, IPLAYWINNER).

Each week, FrameTrap covers the latest news and developments regarding any and all fighting games, plays hosts to the best and the brightest of the community as well as highlights the incredibly creative works created each and every day within the community itself.

FrameTrap is all about you and is developed with your feedback in mind. Hit us up on Twitter with the hashtag #FrameTrap.

Source: http://about.me/frametrap/

After Jared's appearance on the MK/SFIII: 3S: OE TNT, I decided to make this thread to A) get the word out and B) have a place for discussion about past, present and future shows. As none of the Whiskey Media sites live stream on Tuesdays it's the perfect time to check it out and get yourself into the mindset of the Fighting Game Community so that the next time you watch a tournament stream, it won't seem like the commentators are speaking a different language.

If you're like me and can't watch it live (because 7PM PDT is 3AM in UKland), you'll be able to watch the recordings when it's uploaded to their YouTube channel.

"Like" Frame Trap on Facebook and you'll receive access to an exclusive video about Southtown Arcade that was recorded just yesterday (25th of September)! Get an inside look at the set of Frame Trap and hear from the players who frequent Southtown as to why it's their favorite arcade!

Archive

Episode 10 (Uploaded 2nd November)

Episode 9 (Uploaded 26th October)

Episode 8 (Uploaded 19th October)

Episode 7 (Uploaded 12th October)

Episode 6 (Uploaded 6th October)

Episode 5 (Uploaded 28th September)

Episode 4 (Uploaded 21st September)

Episode 3 (Uploaded 15th September)

Episode 2 (Uploaded 7th September)

Episode 1 (Uploaded 31st August)

Episode 1 extra - Seth Killian Interview (Uploaded 31st August)

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By bretthancock

I really liked the first episode and Jared has a great presence on them. The fighting game community is really interesting and with all the new ones coming out (Skullgirls, SF x T, Tekken Tag 2) it should keep going for a while. Personally I love fighting games, I grew up with them and have sentimental attachment to the entire genre, but time prohibits me from sinking lots of time into it. Following from the sidelines is still fun though and it's nice that people are still doing videocasts like this.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

I enjoyed the show but I need to watch a few more episodes to see if its a confirmed watch. The reason is that I am not a hardcore fighting game player, I enjoy some fighters and got quite into BlazBlue with some friends (I never got far enough to be "hardcore" but I am capable of playing and I understand what im doing up until the point someone talks about frames etc.). I would like to watch this show if they allow me an entry into the scene/genre by explaining concepts, keeping it a little simpler and not assuming previous knowledge about a series.

Im excited to see what happens with it, I hope its something that I can enjoy and potentially push me into being better at fighters.

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrjared

FLStyle, you da best maang! 

I actually answered Pazy's question on Twitter, but yeah, we want this to be a show that's for players of all skill levels and experience. We'll be discussing topics that are important to the hardcore fighting fans but we want to do it in a way that new players won't feel lost, so we'll do our best to put things into perspective for those viewers. We want it to be a show where those who are already into the community will invite their other friends to watch and get them interested and involved.  

Pazy: Watch tomorrow nights episode and let me know what we can do to help you out. We're doing a few more test episodes before we "officially launch." Which really just means, then it'll just look a lot nicer ;)

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Itwastuesday

I saw Haunts say on twitter that Frame Trap has big plans for 3S OE. Do these plans include stating that all Chun has to do to win is back fierce and low forward into super, and then immediately losing Chun vs Alex?

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrjared

Fuck. Okay, new announcement. STAY TUNED~

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Third Strike will always be relevant in my tournament scene in my HEART. FUCK THE HATERS.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

You may have heard somewhere that 3rd Strike is a good game and that you should play it, but take it from me, It's ass. 

Also, I wish I could watch this live but I can't stay up that late on a weekday :( 

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrjared
@Scooper said:
You may have heard somewhere that 3rd Strike is a good game and that you should play it, but take it from me, It's ass.  Also, I wish I could watch this live but I can't stay up that late on a weekday :( 
Good news, everyone! There's an archive available immediately following the show on our jtv page, but we also upload it to YouTube the next day.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pazy

@Scooper said:

You may have heard somewhere that 3rd Strike is a good game and that you should play it, but take it from me, It's ass.

I will probably end up playing it at some point but I know I love it more in concept than I will when I play it, Parrying is such an amazing mechanic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You know, I just realized from the name of the show, if they wanted to make a game that 'teaches' fighting game mechanics and ideas, and is useful for novices to 'train' up... they should make one where your difficulty settings (in single player, obviously) actually change the mechanics slightly to allow novices and amateurs a glimpse in. As they raise the difficulty up, the frame limits get tighter and tighter, until you get to 'competition' mode, which is just the pure game. This would let novices build understanding of what-hits-where, which moves are relatively safe, hell what 'safe' even means. Intermediates can use it to learn new characters and get their combos down to instinct, bumping up the difficulty as they feel more comfortable.

I just realized, turning the difficult up or down in a shooter or an action game actually changes the damage mechanics of the game, without changing the quality of the AI. In a fighter, you're not playing an 'easier' game, you're just playing a dumber opponent. The way to teach decent habits and let players build confidence is by facing them against quality AI, but shifting the mechanics to let them build their skill.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Itwastuesday said:

I saw Haunts say on twitter that Frame Trap has big plans for 3S OE. Do these plans include stating that all Chun has to do to win is back fierce and low forward into super, and then immediately losing Chun vs Alex?

Revealed by 3rd Strike Junkies... That group and IPW will be showing off some matches featuring matches from some of US' best players including 5 Star, Let Blood Run, and Victoly.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Brodehouse said:

The way to teach decent habits and let players build confidence is by facing them against quality AI

Sounds more like the way to teach players to beat "quality" AI.

The only thing that altering the frame data for leniency (reducing recovery frames/increasing cancel frames) would do is allow players to perform combos they haven't earned and behave more recklessly with their offense. What beginning players need to learn is how to NOT push buttons which is the opposite of what your proposed adjustment would achieve. If you want players to understand why they need to sit still, crouch, and burst fire while playing Counter Strike you don't ease them into it with Quake.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scooper
@MrJared said:
@Scooper said:
You may have heard somewhere that 3rd Strike is a good game and that you should play it, but take it from me, It's ass.  Also, I wish I could watch this live but I can't stay up that late on a weekday :( 
Good news, everyone! There's an archive available immediately following the show on our jtv page, but we also upload it to YouTube the next day.
Yeah, mon! 
Yeah, mon! 
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By JJOR64

Few more hours. :)

Missed the first live show so I'm going to catch it tonight. Also, I'm still curious as to why this is on the same day as Cross Counter Live.

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrjared

Hey guys, hope you all enjoyed the show this week. I gave everyone a great big shout-out after the first break :) Too bad I was tongue-tied for the first 15 minutes or so. Not sure what was going on there. I should do some verbal exercises before hand I think. 

Also, we go on the same day as Cross Counter Live because that's the way we originally planned it. We wanted to shoot it at Southtown Arcade and they're only closed Mondays and Tuesdays. The guys need a day off so we all agreed that Tuesday was for the best. Also, CC Live pushed their time slot closer to us and we're every week, not bi-weekly. So maybe it's a better question for them ;D

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctorchimp

@MrJared: I don't know why it hasn't happen yet. (Or maybe college has made sure I'm not paying attention to internet fight game shows)

But you and Haunts should really start up a feud with Gootecks and Mike Ross. Think of the ratings.

Their fans that don't know about your show will start watching it and your fans who weren't aware will start watching their stuff.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm
@Doctorchimp: The show's not really about that, though. Cross Counter is more tongue in cheek, crazy hilarious fighting games stuff, and Frame TRap is more of a news/talk show format.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By crusader8463

I read the thread title as Le Fem Traps and came here expecting a discussion of shemales, hermaphrodites and cross dressers. Boy was I in for a surprise.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Napalm: Really I think the only difference is Mike and Gootecks focus on the capcom stuff.

While Jared and Haunts are probably going to try and encompass every new fighting game worth a tournament

Their Cross Counter show on Machinima isn't that much different. Don't get me wrong I've seen Excellent Adventures and their dumb videos, but they definitely have a news show thing going on with CrossCounter.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm
@Doctorchimp: Oh damn, you might be right. I was thinking about Excellent Adventures, and not Cross Counter.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pazy

I had a chance to watch the second episode. My criticisms would be the same as the first which is mainly that it feels, at least to me, like your assuming a lot of knowledge. Thats great for fans of the genre but as someone who wants to get it I don't understand a lot of what your saying.

Im coming to this show as someone who learned how to do a Dragon Punch/Shoryuken motion at 20 (less than a year ago), since them ive become a lot more competent at the genre and im trying to expand my knowledge but I dont know a lot of the games your referencing which means I sometimes dont understand what your saying for minutes at a time.

I cant expect you not to use fighting game terms, it is a show about it, but an intro to the concepts would be great. Perhaps its outside the scope of the show as a News/Talk show but it would be great if you had a segment that explained what the differences between Street Fighter and King of Fighters. You seem to have a lot of love for King of Fighters, or at least feel it needs more attention, so you could spend time essentially selling me on the game and explaining why its worth playing.

haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By haunts

@Pazy, 

Thats some great feedback, seriously. Its def somehting on my mind and one thing we will try to get better about. I've been playing FGs competitivley for 10 years now so a lot of times I forget to break down certain aspects of the game for people just hopping into it. In anycase, we'll try to give people a bit more background on what we're talking about in the future.  

Thanks for watching. :)

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FLStyle

Episode 2's youtube upload now on OP.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By D_W

@haunts:

It would be a great if you could do a quick history of the KOF series just to get people who may not be familiar with it up to speed. Maybe outside of the show in a stand-alone video or something.

Great job so far though!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FLStyle

Episode 3's youtube upload now on OP.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By villainy

Finally got around to watching Ep 3. It's definitely continuing to improve. I'd like it if the game videos were full screen. The guys are very knowledgeable and when they're commenting on gameplay I'd like to be able to actually see what they're commenting on. I like fighting games enough to know a lot of the slang and players but not enough to actually follow the scene daily. Frame Trap is the perfect show for me.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@villainy: I fall into the same group. Loving the show so far.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FLStyle

Episode 4's up on OP.

Still enjoying this show, I don't know the live viewer numbers but I hope it brings more people in.

Avatar image for countinhallways
countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By countinhallways

@FLStyle: Yeah man, I am really enjoying Frame Trap also. I think it is getting better every week, and to be perfectly honest about it... it makes me cringe less than Cross Counter Live.

I mean I appreciate what they are doing with Cross Counter, but I just find its format hard to watch, kind of forced. Frame Trap however, comes across very naturally.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By villainy

@countinhallways said:

I mean I appreciate what they are doing with Cross Counter, but I just find its format hard to watch, kind of forced. Frame Trap however, comes across very naturally.

100% agreed. Mike and gootecks always seem to be trying really really hard which I appreciate, but it shows. Frame Trap has a nice flow to it and Jared/haunts seem a lot more comfortable just hanging around the arcade.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SuperWristBands

Really diggin' the show as well. I missed it last night so I am eagerly awaiting the YouTube upload.

Also, I just got around to watching the second episode a few days ago and I really didn't expect the Giantbomb shout out. Pretty cool, guys.

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mrjared

Hey all, sorry for not checking in it's been real busy :) Definitely appreciate all the feedback.. this episode we ran into some technical problems as we're still working on transferring all of Haunts' responsibilities to Chris. There are all these little tricks that the two of us have developed over the course of years of casting and Chris is still very new to the programs we use, so something will go wrong and then we'll have to explain some tiny, minute detail that totally changes it. It sucks, but that's just how it is. We've got.. I'd say two more of these pilots left before we officially launch and then we have no more excuses ;)

ALSO~ Big announcement for the show coming sometime this week. Special episode in the very near future. Stay tuned!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FLStyle
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By scarace360

Cant wait for tonights episode!

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mrjared

Here we go everyone. Frame Trap is now LIVE! Show begins in just a few minutes! Spooky will be up first. http://iplaywinner.tv

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By villainy

Man.. no thread update tonight :( Capcom rolls on iPLAYWINNER and Southtown Arcade! Congratulations guys! 
http://www.iplaywinner.tv/

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SuperWristBands

I turned on the live stream about 10 minutes ago to see Haunts (at least I think it was him) in a horse mask. I was not expecting this.

Also, it was amazing.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FLStyle

After my PC being dead for 8 days, I have returned, normal service is resumed! Long live Frame Trap!

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SlightConfuse

Ultimate norcal v capcom was awesome excited for cross tekken

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FLStyle

The OP is completely up to date with Episode 7 which was uploaded today, happy watching.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lockwoodx

Ok now I'm glad congress is going to make this illegal soon.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By groin

@Buzzkill said:

Ok now I'm glad congress is going to make this illegal soon.

One of the great things about the internet is that it exposes me to crazy people that I do not normally interact with in my daily life. It provides another source of entertainment. Buzzkill, tell me about how Giantbomb is being paid by Epic to give favorable reviews (OMG BULLETSTORM).

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lockwoodx

@groin: Any more ad-hominem personal attacks or are you done being part of the problem?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FLStyle

@Buzzkill said:

@groin: Any more ad-hominem personal attacks or are you done being part of the problem?

He hasn't entered this thread simply to lay down some flame-bait. Do you have some constructive criticism on the show you'd like to share?

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mrjared

@Buzzkill: @FLStyle: Yes, please, do continue. I'd like to see where this goes :)

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By StaticFalconar

I just like to come in and say, I always watch this show the next day since when it airs, I'm usually busy.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#48  Edited By StarvingGamer

@MrJared: Love the Poison discussion, love the passion. I can't wait for next week to hopefully hear what you have to say about a certain legal professional (not UltraDavid!).

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lockwoodx

@FLStyle said:

@Buzzkill said:

He hasn't entered this thread simply to lay down some flame-bait. Do you have some constructive criticism on the show you'd like to share?

I'm not about to write the OP a novel on how to run an online show, but I will provide my feedback as per requested and in the case of this video, my feedback is criticism. My criticism was to the point as I wish this show did not exist after having watched it. If the show no longer continues then the creator will have taken it to heart, and my criticism served its purpose. If the show continues, then at least the creator will know he's not completely hit the mark yet and needs some work, thus the criticism still served its purpose.

Posters criticizing my criticism is the least productive thing of all so I asked groin in a polite fashion if he was finished making an ass of himself. :)

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mrjared

@Buzzkill: Thanks! Unfortunately the show goes on! Womp-Womp. Have a great weekend!