The GB community's holiday sales 2012 purchases

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BSw

Quite a few holiday sales are still going on, and I have been happily purhasing games to add to my ever increasing backlog. Most of these are solely based on the GB enthusiasm that exists for them. What have you bought so far, and what's still on your to-get-list? And what's still out there that others should definitely buy?

Good Old Games:

- The Real Texas

- Faster Than Light

- To The Moon

- Edna & Harvey pack (still have to actually buy it, but that'll happen)

Steam:

- Hotline Miami

XBLA:

- Mark of the Ninja

- Dust

- Trials Evolution

- Trials Evolution expansion pack

- The Walking Dead 1-5

- Rock of Ages

Also, I've purchased the new Humble Bundle, but that was mainly for the Binding of Isaac expansion pack. All in all not too expensive, it could have been a lot worse!

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By majorchin

I'm planning on buying Hotline Miami on steam for the mac port, and am on the fence about The Walking Dead.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and listened to the GOTY podcasts and heard them spoil some major plot points in TWD, so I've been contemplating if it's even worth buying at this point; even if it's only 10 dollars. Do you guys think it's still worth it?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

@heavymetalwaffle said:

I'm planning on buying Hotline Miami on steam for the mac port, and am on the fence about The Walking Dead.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and listen to the GOTY podcasts and hear them spoil some major plot points in TWD, so I've been contemplating if it's even worth buying at this point; even if it's only 10 dollars. Do you guys think it's still worth it?

Avoid the spoilers and just play TWD. You won't be disappointed.

pa21ris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By pa21ris

Steam

- FTL

- Arma 2 (for Dayz mod)

Pondering

- Dark Souls

- Civ 5 GotY

- Fez (XBLA)

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By majorchin

@Ravenlight: Oops, there were a few typos in that post. I meant to say that I've listened to the podcasts already and have heard the spoilers they talked about. Is there enough worthwhile content to play even knowing many of the 'major' events that occur in that game?

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By ESREVER

I wish Trials evolution would come out on Steam... I was expecting Hotline Miami to feed that itch of difficult indie game with fast resets. However, that game was a load of over hyped nonsense and way too easy. I feel lied to about everything concerning that game.

My Steam purchases have consisted of:

Batman Arkham City

Batman Arkham Asylum

Hotline Miami

Miner Wars 2081

I've gifted Spec Ops, Batman Arkham Asylum, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club.

I'm on the fence about Miner Wars 2081. The forum page and press stuff seem pretty negative, but its said to appeal more towards people who are looking for a Descent experience rather than a full fledged Space Sim. Its only $6.24 too, but I get such a strong WarZ Dev vibe when I visit the forum page on Steam. So conflicted!

virtua_ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By virtua_ben

On the purely digital front, I've only gotten FTL through the steam sale so far. If xbox decides to put Fez on sale, I'll get that too. As for retail, I decided to get the mario kart/3ds xl bundle for $200. My screens, I want them to be biggers.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BSw

@heavymetalwaffle said:

I decided to throw caution to the wind and listened to the GOTY podcasts and heard them spoil some major plot points in TWD, so I've been contemplating if it's even worth buying at this point; even if it's only 10 dollars. Do you guys think it's still worth it?

I stayed clear of anything that could spoil TWD, and I expect 800 MS points to be a pretty good price for it given that it's high on a lot of GOTY lists. My guess is that you'll still enjoy it, though you might not have the experience others have had with it. And for a decent price too.

@pa21ris: Dark Souls is awesome if you have the time for it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

@heavymetalwaffle said:

@Ravenlight: Oops, there were a few typos in that post. I meant to say that I've listened to the podcasts already and have heard the spoilers they talked about. Is there enough worthwhile content to play even knowing many of the 'major' events that occur in that game?

I'd say that even if you know the story beats, the way in which the game presents the story is enough of an achievement that you'll still have a good time. How you get from A to B is more impactful than just what happens at B.

amp_1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By amp_1986

So far I bought Mark of the Ninja and Dust on XBLA, I bought Asura's Wrath and Prototype 2 (both PS3) on Amazon, and I'm considering getting Papo & Yo, Metal Gear Solid HD collection Vita, and Mafia 2 on PSN, I also might get Dear Ester, Hotline Miami, and FTL on Steam

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By majorchin

@Ravenlight: Good to know. Thanks.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Carryboy

GOG:

Balders gate 1 and 2

Planescape

Icewind dale 1 and 2

Indigo prophesy

Steam

Bioshock

Deponia

Dragon age ultimate edtion

Skyrim

Endless Space

Flyn

FTL

Lone Survivor

Monkey island 1 and 2

Napoleon total war

of orcs and men

Psychonauts

Sleeping dogs

Torchlight 2

YS Origin

Giana sisters

XBL

Walking dead

Mark of the ninja

spelunky

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By N7

I bought FTL when it went on sale and goddamn is that a great game. I would really love to see a sequel to see some improvements and additions because that game is absolutely beautiful. And the mods ain't bad either.

X-COM and Dark Souls. I rented Dark Souls from redbox when it first came out, but was constantly busy with my job and didn't get a chance to play it much, but from what I remember, that game is badass, so I'm going to love catching back up.

And as for X-COM, I don't know anything about it other than the fact that I bought it and the very next day I heard nothing but how good the game was. I didn't look for any info on it since I played the demo and want to go in fresh(Or, as fresh as possible now), and don't want too much spoiled. I hope it's good, I'm really excited for the prospect of creating a squad of nothing but soldiers I created. It's my Endwar dream come true.

I also saw something about a PVP multiplayer arena mode in the Dark Souls DLC and from the sounds of it, you can matchmake into a goddamn fatal 4 way free for all deathmatch? That's pretty goddamn awesome sounding.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Khadyn

Steam:

Fear Package

Mark of the Ninja

Saints Row The Third: Full Package (for $7.50..I seriously could not pass this up..favorite purchase so far this holiday)

Serious Sam Package

Unmechanical

Origin:

Mass Effect 1 - 2 (Deluxe Edition) -3 (Deluxe Edition)

Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition and Dragon AGE 2

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By JoeyRavn

Just Hitman: Absolution. I haven't gotten around playing it, but I hope that by the time I get to it, all the problems with the checkpoints respawning enemies and the disguise system being useless will be resolved.

Marshall109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Marshall109

Steam

Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition

Mark of the Ninja

Amazon

THQ Pack with Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Metro 2033, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, and Homefront (which has not and will not be installed).

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By ESREVER

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on Miner Wars 2081. I just finished the demo and loved how very Descent it was. Also, the giant asteroid you start in in the demo is nearly completely destructible, so you can literally make your own path by mining through the asteroid. Red Faction style.

At the end of the demo, I decided to mine a hole right through its center and fly through it. Iunno, I thought it was pretty fucking sweet. Its still on the Steam Flash sale for the next 3 hours for $6.24, thats 75% off its regular price of $25.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KittyVonDoom

Just bought all episodes of TWD on XBL for 800 points. Rock of Ages for 200. And these arrived this morning:

No Caption Provided

Woo.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By musubi

Finished the first episode of TWD last night and bought the other 4.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pantzing_nome

XBLA

• mark of the ninja
  • hell yeah wrath of the dead rabbit
  • fez
  • walking dead episodes 2-5

PSN

• -journey
  • -ratchet and clank quest for booty

I've been on the fence about picking up farcry 3 for my 360, watching Jeff burn down the marijuana fields made the game look like a lot of fun. But after hearing all the talk about how much better the PC version is than console has made me hesitant to pull the trigger.

Petturi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Petturi

Humble Indie Bundle 7

GOG:

Master of Orion 1+2

Planescape: Torment

XBLA:

Borderlands 2 Season Pass

Mark of the Ninja

Trials Evolution - Origin of Pain DLC

The Walking Dead - Episode 5

Amazon:

XCOM - Enemy Unknown (XBOX 360)

Rock Band 3 Keyboard (XBOX 360)

Steam:

FTL

McPixel

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution

I have great memories of playing Master of Orion 2 when I was a teen, so that was a instant buy for 2.99$. I hope it holds up. I have never played Planescape: Torment, but heard the story is great and for 4,99$ I can take the risk if I don't like the game. FTL, Mark of the Ninja and XCOM popping up on lots of top ten list and being on sale made the purchases easy. And I really can't wait to get back to RB 3 with the keyboard, which I finally found for a decent price.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Hotline Miami, Arkham City and Ready Player One by Ernest Kline

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Steam:

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

OddBoxx

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Mount and Blade: Warband

GOG:

Inquisitor

Green Man Gaming:

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine

Devil May Cry 4

I'm quite happy that I've managed to keep to a budget so far.

Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Box3ru13

Steam:

Witcher 2 EE

Borderlands 2

TWD

Mark of the Ninja

Darksiders II

FTL

McPixel

Hotline Miami

Max Payne 3

(Many of these I got during Thanksgiving sales but that's a holiday sale nonetheless). Also got NFS: Hot Pursuit off Amazon for free. I still want to pick up Sleepy Dawgs, Far Cry 3, and Hitman Absolution as well and get Journey and Sound Shapes on my PS3.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Steam

• McPixel
  • Analogue A Hate Story
  • Half Minute Hero
  • Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
  • They Bleed Pixels
  • Vindictus Dazzle Em' Dead pack (because my characters need to look fabulous 24/7)
BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BSw

@Kaiserreich: I've been keeping an eye the oddboxx as well, but I've managed to steer clear of it. I just don't have the time to play it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Hizang

Castlevania Lords of Shadows was £4 on PS3, so I said fuck it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Branthog

I have finally reached Nirvana; almost no games on sale at Steam or GOG that I didn't already own. Such a relief, compared to last year and the one before it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By fattony12000

Steam

Gods & Kings.

Legend of Grimrock.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By DG991

@heavymetalwaffle: You aren't going to have as good of an experience as people who played them on release did.

But they didn't talk about ALL the plot twists and stuff, just some of the major ones. I think it is still worth playing.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HerbieBug

I bought Dustforce during Steam sale and just picked up a copy of Forza Horizon this afternoon. I tried to play some more Mark of the Ninja last night but that game just doesn't seem to click with me. I think it would be more fun if the movement speed -both your's and the guard's- was a lot faster. Personal preference of course. I like my 2D platforming lightning fast and snappy. Actually same criticism of Dustforce. Feels just a hair too slow.

Speaking of game purchasing, I noted an immensely amusing shelf in the 360 section at the electronics store. Stacks upon stacks of Resident Evil 6 copies, all marked down to $19.99. Nobody seemed to be touching them even at that price. :D

panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By panvixyl

I JUST finally bought FTL, Bastion, and Walking Dead off of Steam.

I'm sorry for being bad at video game

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I already own most of what I want, and didn't really want to spend a lot of money of the stuff I still do need to play. All I've bought so far are Hotline Miami and FLT on Steam for $5 apiece. I like Hotline Miami so far, but I fucking LOVE FTL. Also, I fucking HATE FTL.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pantzing_nome

@Virtua_Ben: Xbox had Fez 50% off Thursday last week.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By musclerider

I just bought the Borderlands 2 season pass and will probably buy Bully on XBLA

virtua_ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By virtua_ben

@pantzing_nome: Bummer. I just went ahead and used my rewards points on it. Paid like 5 bucks.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ben_H

Steam: 

• All the GalCiv stuff
  • Endless Space
  • the Dawn of War pack that has everything
  • Far Cry 3
GOG: 
  • More Infinity Engine stuff
  • Medal of Honor: Allied Assault complete pack thingy (one of my all-time favourites. That game had the best maps for multiplayer)
  • Total Annihilation complete pack thingy
  • Theme Hospital
  • Neverwinter Nights (I own NWN2 on Mac but not on Windows)
I've been pretty reserved with spending this year. Most years I spend a few hundred but other than FC3, I think I only spent about $60 altogether. With FC3 I am just under $100. 

Edit: Forgot I actually bought Sleepy Dawgs a while ago.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By mordukai

Overall I bought 14 games for myself, gIfted one, and all for about 54 bucks. Not bad.