The Giant Bomb Tiny Zine #1 (A Small Magazine)

• 49 results
GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Amazing, will buy one as soon as I return home. Thanks duder.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Dimi3je

@markjw

Good job! I'm a graphical designer, and i have experience with magazines and fanzines. If you need help with the next issue, please contact me!

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would have put a serif on the body copy but that isn't a dealbreaker. Due to the amount of the actual copy that you would need to place, you would need a lot of filler anyway in the magazine. Another thing you might want to work on is sidebar content and pull quotes, that will break up your big blocks of copy that are really stagnant.

I do this for a living, everyday... feel free to get in contact if you need help or someone to critique. Might actually benefit to have a "team" working on the fanzine project at Giant Bomb. I have always wanted to make a mini-magazine (each week or fortnightly) where it would be a standard 8.5 x 11" that would fold into 8 pages that people could collect, like trading cards. Just a thought, let me know if you are feeling the same way.

MarkJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimi3je said:

@markjw

Good job! I'm a graphical designer, and i have experience with magazines and fanzines. If you need help with the next issue, please contact me!

Will do, thank you for the offer. :)

MarkJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have put a serif on the body copy but that isn't a dealbreaker. Due to the amount of the actual copy that you would need to place, you would need a lot of filler anyway in the magazine. Another thing you might want to work on is sidebar content and pull quotes, that will break up your big blocks of copy that are really stagnant.

I do this for a living, everyday... feel free to get in contact if you need help or someone to critique. Might actually benefit to have a "team" working on the fanzine project at Giant Bomb. I have always wanted to make a mini-magazine (each week or fortnightly) where it would be a standard 8.5 x 11" that would fold into 8 pages that people could collect, like trading cards. Just a thought, let me know if you are feeling the same way.

An interesting idea for collectable magazines! I made this first issue in about a week and it's only the second book type thing I've ever made (the other was a PR plan for a class in college). I've mostly done web design, so I literally don't know what the "rules" are when it comes to print. I was mostly looking at old issues of PC Gamer, CGW, Games for Windows, and EGM to figure out what the heck I wanted to make. In the end I went with finding the biggest fucking images I could dig up and slapping those on the page, hoping the finished printed product would be visually compelling. By happy accident, it kinda was.

I probably will need help in the future, but right now I need recommendations on example books or textbooks about magazine and print design. There's a ton of them out there on Amazon and it seems a lot are shitty.