The negativity about memberships is depressing.

• 89 results
SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpudBug

I don't know what it will take to get people over this notion that everything should just be free.

It's so depressing to think that there are so many people who would be willing to completely ignore what is a thinly veiled cry for help from whisky media. There needs to be some way for excellent content producers like whiskey media to thrive and be recognized for their talent.  They produce some of the best original videogame content on the web on time and in incredible volume. I WANT to believe that there is an intelligent and discriminating audience who appreciates original content enough to put forth some financial support. If that's not the case and we're doomed to reworded PR releases and trailers with commercials before them, I'll be very sad.

I'm not saying everyone needs to subscribe, but if you don't want to, then don't. The crusade against people who do want to support the site and keep it going is NOT helpful and NOT necessary. I say this is a case of if you don't have anything nice or supportive to say, keep it to yourself, or go throw yourself into the IGN or gametrailers or gamefaqs kiddy pool forums. If I were a more overzealous person, I might even say that complaining about this is just a step away from harming the site in general.

It sounds rude to say but this site is a privilege, not a right. 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

Couldn't agree more. but haters gonna hate i guess!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

If it wasn't the bombcast its gonna be something else.
People like to complain about paying money for things...food, drink, drugs...ect...no wait they complain about those too.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Turtlemayor333

It is possible to want to support the site but not support the decision to split Bombcasts.

Throw up a donate button.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sixghost

Be fucking straight then, are they asking for donations? Dave basically said as much on the new bombcast. Also, where did this shit come from? There was never a whiff of this until today, and all of a sudden the sky is falling at whiskey media.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mesklinite

Yeah I agree, I can see some merite in some of the ideas put forth though. Different subscriptions for specific things. Like the 30$ for the bombcast, etc... But everyone should just chill for a bit and see how it turns out, how it's gonna be split up, etc...  

NDN_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NDN_Shadow

I don't mind membership if you're paying for something extra you wouldn't otherwise receive. It's when people attach a monetary value to something that has been free for months that really annoys me. *coughBombcastcough*

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpudBug

Name one other outlet that provides 2+hours/week of free entertainment that you actually want to partake of and look forward to each and every week - for free.

I can't. As far as I can tell the bombcast being free is the unusual thing, not the normal thing.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By myke_tuna
@Turtlemayor333:  They should really just do both. I couldn't afford a constant 5 bucks sub, or a one time 50 dollar sub, but from time to time I'll give some pennies to the poor kids in Africa. Wait, I mean the big, healthy dudes (and wonderfully nice women) at Whiskey Media. lol. Just a joke, I meant no disrespect. But really I would give a couple bucks here and there when I could. Like tipping a hot waitress.

@SpudBug: There are other podcasts out there that are cool (to me) and are free (for everyone). I'm not against paying for stuff I love, I'm just saying all that doesn't fly. But I get what you mean. These dudes gotta get paid. I just don't know about the way they're going about getting that scrilla.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
@SpudBug:@jadeskye:  It's not the fact that they are getting subscriptions... Hell, people from the community were basically telling them that they were willing to support them. It's just the way they are going about it. Mostly it's the weird bombcast divide.
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I think the problem is that subscription isn't as much of a value add for international visitors as it is for those in the US. I'm happy to support the guys but I won't be paying unfortunately since most of those subscriber features won't benefit me. 

It's a bummer about the bombcast though...

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By StarFoxA
@SpudBug said:
" Name one other outlet that provides 2+hours/week of free entertainment that you actually want to partake of each and every week - for free.  I can't. As far as I can tell the bombcast being free is the unusual thing, not the normal thing. "
Rebel FM, CAGCast, Hulu, and many more podcasts.
empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By empfeix

Spending money depresses me, now we are even.

NDN_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NDN_Shadow
@SpudBug said:
" Name one other outlet that provides 2+hours/week of free entertainment that you actually want to partake of and look forward to each and every week - for free.  I can't. As far as I can tell the bombcast being free is the unusual thing, not the normal thing. "
Weekend Confirmed and Rebel FM come to mind. Both are usually 2+ hours. Rebel FM is done by some editors in an apartment, no affiliation with their employer (IGN).
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

This is awesome. I love this shit. Drama at its best, well, internet drama, but drama none the less.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By wrathofconn
@Claude: Internet drama is the drama-est kind there is.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By carlthenimrod
@Claude said:

" This is awesome. I love this shit. Drama at its best, well, internet drama, but drama none the less. "

Posting on Giant Bomb is just like watching my stories. 
StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StillVictor

I still remember that not so long ago 1up had a stellar cast of personalities. Their podcast, 1up Yours was the best one around - at least in my opinion. They collapsed, lost everyone (at least the ones I cared the most) and now I don't even feel like going there anymore. These guys on Giantbomb have something special. I listened to the PAX podcast and man, I tell you, that was simply awesome. 

They are not in the business of making people angry. If this is the way it has to be, I will support them.

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By JoRoNimo
@Turtlemayor333: How many people do you HONESTLY think would jump to donate? And those that did, would it be enough to maintain some profitability? 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude
@wrathofconn said:

" @Claude: Internet drama is the drama-est kind there is. "

I feel like I'm watching a fire burn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@sixghost said:
" Be fucking straight then, are they asking for donations? Dave basically said as much on the new bombcast. Also, where did this shit come from? There was never a whiff of this until today, and all of a sudden the sky is falling at whiskey media. "
The sky isn't falling. Just some kids who take this situation far too seriously and personally.
SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpudBug

Weekend confirmed promotes a site that has far more advertising than giantbomb. So does the CAG - which makes most of it's money off amazon referral links, being a shopping site, and all. 

As for rebel FM - in the last two months they've only done 3 shows that were 2 hours long, missed one week entirely, and have had several others with members missing, and I personally don't find them as high quality as the bombcast. And hulu has ads.

I'm just saying if you don't want to pay, stop bitching, wait a week, and enjoy the bombcast. They're not changing their mind about this, so just do what you're going to do. Pay, or wait. The complaining does not help the site whatsoever. It probably does a lot more harm than anything.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By LegalBagel
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" If it wasn't the bombcast its gonna be something else. People like to complain about paying money for things...food, drink, drugs...ect...no wait they complain about those too. "
That's my thought as well.  People like outrage, and they were going to be outraged about this regardless.  Especially since then its easier to justify not paying.  I think only a straight up charity drive would have flown by without complaining.  Though I imagine then they'd complain when Whiskey Media had to turn into an NPR pledge drive to keep going. 

It's pretty obvious that Whiskey hasn't yet figured out how to run a site that A) makes great content, B) doesn't suck for users to use and C) makes money.  Unfortunately A and B tend to be in conflict with C.  I hope they have some smart business-types working on it, but in the meantime I'll toss in some money so they don't have to compromise on B.
Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

My problem isn't the Bombcast divide, I think everyone was just caught off guard that it's $50 a year. Most people, myself included thought it would be $30, maybe $40, but $50 just sounds like a lot of money to put towards a website. Even if your heart does indeed belong to GB.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zereta

I'm all for supporting Whiskey Media and Giant Bomb. The thing that really got me annoyed was the whole Bombcast thing because I feel like its a cheap way to get a few more subscribers.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By mathewballard

Totally agree with the original post.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpudBug

We pay $60 for videogames that last 5 hours

I probably spend 5 hours on giantbomb in a week

I guess to me I just can't stand the thought of this site going away so anything I do to help them along is great. What upsets me is the people who just complain and want them to give give give until the site is shut down.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By Jost1

Let us not fucking forget that 1up.com went tits up because they couldn't monetize their shit. And people have been lamenting the slow-death of 1up for two years now. Think about it. GFW Radio, 1up FM, all of that went away in a second.  And now that Whiskey is doing an ATTEMPT at turning this into a healthy business there's NO END of complaining.  

How about supporting people who have entertained you for hundreds of hours?

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Skogen

Im all for helping out Whiskey Media and I use all their sites, save for Anime Vice.

The interesting thing about the membership debacle is how it brings all the complainers and site trolls out of the woodwork. We can now see a visible representation of all the people who are here to use the site and not give back in anyway, and it pains me to see how many are willing to give Whiskey Media the cold shoulder despite how much entertainment they have provided all of us.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpudBug
@Zereta said:
" I'm all for supporting Whiskey Media and Giant Bomb. The thing that really got me annoyed was the whole Bombcast thing because I feel like its a cheap way to get a few more subscribers. "
A week delay of half of the podcast isn't going to get anyone to subscribe on its own. They said themselves that they were looking for a way to justify the time spent on the podcast.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Business is business people. They are NOT doing this to make us happy, it's simply so they can get paid more money. There is no argument here.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Feanor

GB is the only whiskey site that I like. I don't read comics, I'm not a big techie(but will is pretty great), I don't like Screened's reviews or coverage(no offense to them, just different tastes is all), and I don't like Anime. I feel like with this 50 bucks a year, I'll be supporting those sites more than supporting GB. 

The bombcast thing is annoying, and people are justified in being pissed. Calling them whiny kids is a little extreme, GB does make money off of us, subscriptions or not, and that does give you some right to bitch...a little at least. But they are taking something that has been free for years and mucking it up.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpudBug
@sodiumCyclops: 

I don't even know what to say to this. 

I look at the alternatives to giantbomb and they are awful. Just plain awful. But that's me. Maybe others are happy with the state of the gaming enthusiast press.
Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zereta
@SpudBug said:
" @Zereta said:
" I'm all for supporting Whiskey Media and Giant Bomb. The thing that really got me annoyed was the whole Bombcast thing because I feel like its a cheap way to get a few more subscribers. "
A week delay of half of the podcast isn't going to get anyone to subscribe on its own. They said themselves that they were looking for a way to justify the time spent on the podcast. "
Which is what I figured out after my initial burst of anger. Besides one week of weirdness, things will revert back to normal. Still, they talked big about not charging for things that are already available to core members. Going back on that all of a sudden was just really striking.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@SpudBug: How can you not? 

Businesses charge money for services. GB is charging for the services it provides. GB is a business.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pinworm45
@SpudBug said:
" Name one other outlet that provides 2+hours/week of free entertainment that you actually want to partake of and look forward to each and every week - for free.  "
Thousands of people on Youtube? 

Regardless, i understand they want to make money but the bombcast split is just a retarded idea. The bombcast is the main draw for many people and splitting it like that is really lame, especially since in all the previous posts about what the sub will contain, they said none of the current content will be effected. In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember reading at some point a list of things that WON'T change, and the bombcast was on it. 

I don't listen to the bombcast though so I don't really give a shit.
NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NinjaHunter
@StarFoxA said:
" @SpudBug said:
" Name one other outlet that provides 2+hours/week of free entertainment that you actually want to partake of each and every week - for free.  I can't. As far as I can tell the bombcast being free is the unusual thing, not the normal thing. "
Rebel FM, CAGCast, Hulu, and many more podcasts. "
And the bombcast will still do this for free. All the news and stuff that's time sensitive will be within the first hour the other hour will be things like E-mails and Vinny talking about Fallout 3 or Bayonetta. That's two hours of bombcast but just the second hour will be from last week if you don't subscribe. I don't see why people are up in arms over this. Saying that they are charging you for the bombcast is not true at all. It's purely the convenience of listening to everything right away plus all of the other stuff that comes with the subscription. I really don't think this is that big of a deal.
SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpudBug
@sodiumCyclops: 

I read your post as saying they want to do this to make more money in a greedy way - I may have misunderstood, I apologize if you simply meant to state that this site's goal is to be a profitable, sustainable business. 

Unfortunately I'm becoming jaded about whether or not the videogaming market really is anything more than potsmoking 15 year olds who play calladuty.
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Damien
@SpudBug:  What about the crusade against people who are mainly against the notion of splitting up the Bombcast?  That's NOT helpful and NOT necessary. 

@sixghost said:
" Be fucking straight then, are they asking for donations? Dave basically said as much on the new bombcast. Also, where did this shit come from? There was never a whiff of this until today, and all of a sudden the sky is falling at whiskey media. "
And this 100 and ten fucking percent.  Is WM in financial trouble?  I never noticed this until this announcement.  I'm talking to some other guy in another thread and he's going on about how they hinted at it before on Bombcasts.  I ask him to point out when and he says he has too much that went on in his life to remember and yet he's responding to literally every other post, defending the subscription fee.  I'm sure if they just came out and said that they needed money, they would've gotten way more cooperation, goodwill, and, most importantly, money than this abortion of an idea (splitting of the Bombcast).
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jadeskye
@LiquidPrince said:
" @SpudBug:@jadeskye:  It's not the fact that they are getting subscriptions... Hell, people from the community were basically telling them that they were willing to support them. It's just the way they are going about it. Mostly it's the weird bombcast divide. "
I'm assuming you listened to the podcast detailing this stuff, it's clearly a matter of nessesity. They need to make money from the bombcast to continue it. It takes 8 manhours plus to make a bombcast. Thats a full working day.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By meteora
@Claude said:
" This is awesome. I love this shit. Drama at its best, well, internet drama, but drama none the less. "
And the senior watches gleefully at how the shit is going down on Giantbomb. :3
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By JJOR64

The only thing that is dumb about it is the whole podcast thing.  Other then that, it seems like an OK package.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpudBug
@Pinworm45 said:
" @SpudBug said:
" Name one other outlet that provides 2+hours/week of free entertainment that you actually want to partake of and look forward to each and every week - for free.  "
Thousands of people on Youtube?  Regardless, i understand they want to make money but the bombcast split is just a retarded idea. The bombcast is the main draw for many people and splitting it like that is really lame, especially since in all the previous posts about what the sub will contain, they said none of the current content will be effected. In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember reading at some point a list of things that WON'T change, and the bombcast was on it.  I don't listen to the bombcast though so I don't really give a shit. "
What??

Tirade about membership/bombcast release dates + don't listen to bombcast does not make sense

Plus I do not want to listen to, watch, or be anywhere near anybody on youtube for 2 hours a week. Fuck. I would die.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LiquidPrince
@jadeskye said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @SpudBug:@jadeskye:  It's not the fact that they are getting subscriptions... Hell, people from the community were basically telling them that they were willing to support them. It's just the way they are going about it. Mostly it's the weird bombcast divide. "
I'm assuming you listened to the podcast detailing this stuff, it's clearly a matter of nessesity. They need to make money from the bombcast to continue it. It takes 8 manhours plus to make a bombcast. Thats a full working day. "
They are still going to be doing that no matter what. However it will be alienating the users using the divide. A smarter way in my opinion would be have the paid users watch it Tuesday like regular, and then have the free users hear the whole bombcast on the Wednesday.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pinworm45
@SpudBug said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @SpudBug said:
Thousands of people on Youtube?  Regardless, i understand they want to make money but the bombcast split is just a retarded idea. The bombcast is the main draw for many people and splitting it like that is really lame, especially since in all the previous posts about what the sub will contain, they said none of the current content will be effected. In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember reading at some point a list of things that WON'T change, and the bombcast was on it.  I don't listen to the bombcast though so I don't really give a shit. "
What??   Tirade about membership/bombcast release dates + don't listen to bombcast does not make sense  Plus I do not want to listen to, watch, or be anywhere near anybody on youtube for 2 hours a week. Fuck. I would die. "
Tirade? Seemed more like my rational opinion, but okay. 

Then again, why would I expect rationality from someone who says that every single person on youtube is terrible, when there are literally millions on it. *shrug*.
SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SpudBug

You're still going to have new shit to listen to every week, it's just going to be delayed.

Plus, sweet shirt is at least worth $20 of that $50

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nephrahim

Ha.  Negativity.  HA! 

I go to the STARCRAFT 2 forums.  If you want to see NEGATIVITY.

John-Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By John-Luke

Most of the complaints I'm seeing are of concern over the method of distribution of the Bombcast and those not in a position to afford to pay for the subscription. I imagine most who are subscribing are doing so mostly to keep these sites running and filled with quality content. For the most part, non-subscribers are going to continue getting what they've always been getting, the conditions are extremely fair all things considered. I think a lot of would-be subscribers feel that it's important to keep the Bombcast as is, those not able to afford to pay for their subscriptions shouldn't be penalized in this way. I guess cutting up and distributing the Bombcast this way is to have it act as an incentive for users to subscribe, justifying the costs of making it. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like people are subscribing for that reason, and cutting up the distribution of the Bombcast would cause more harm than good, which is my main concern. On the other hand, the Bombcast is worth $5/month at the very least.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SpudBug
@Pinworm45: 

Have you ever watched someone talk into a camera on youtube? Holy shit.

I think I did once, but then my brain made me black out to save itself.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pinworm45
@SpudBug said:
" @Pinworm45:   Have you ever watched someone talk into a camera on youtube? Holy shit.  I think I did once, but then my brain made me black out to save itself. "
You're right. That one person you watched talking into a camera on youtube is an accurate representation of every single person on youtube.