The negativity about memberships is depressing.

• 89 results
LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By LegalBagel

In the alternate universe without a bombcast partial delay, this is what we could expect to see: 

"An exclusive live show for subscribers only?  Way to divide the community giant bomb!  I was COMPLETELY going to get a subscription or give them some money, because I'm just awesome like that, but now that I know that they're putting a lot of new content behind a paywall, there's no way that I can support them.  I thought they had more integrity than to charge for things like that on the internet."

And yeah, I really don't think people understand.  There's been what - ten major ad campaigns on Giant Bomb, at most?  They've been floating on initial capital and have a big userbase, but you have to make money off it somehow.  So it's either shitting up the site with ads and ad-impression boosting like every other site, getting subscriptions, finding some other revenue stream, or getting enough users and clout so that they can negotiate their own deals.  Most likely the plan is using subscriptions in order to keep going and growing the user base.  But it's amazing how quickly a website can die, even if you think their content is great.  At some point they have to make money their own way, compromise and make money the standard gaming website way, or die and leave us with the rest of the terribleness of gaming websites.

Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Themanohall
@Damien: Watch the 2009 PAX panel. They say that a subscription is probably coming in the Q & A, near the end. 
Ratfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Ratfoot

I would consider Rebel FM an entertainment equivalent to the podcast despite it not always being as long, as well as the Refresh & Reload cast I co-host. (despite how much I hate pimping it) Regardless I understand times are tough and it's not easy to make money from a website, nevermind the fact that everyone put a lot of their own money into the company. If it comes down to a couple hundred left near the end of the Big Live Show to make the Bombcast free for everyone I'll take the plunge.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By knoxt

I think a membership idea is shitty. One step down the road toward gamespotsville.

twinkies, computer cases and beverages should be enough, I do believe.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Nephrahim
@LiquidPrince said:
" @jadeskye said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @SpudBug:@jadeskye:  It's not the fact that they are getting subscriptions... Hell, people from the community were basically telling them that they were willing to support them. It's just the way they are going about it. Mostly it's the weird bombcast divide. "
I'm assuming you listened to the podcast detailing this stuff, it's clearly a matter of nessesity. They need to make money from the bombcast to continue it. It takes 8 manhours plus to make a bombcast. Thats a full working day. "
They are still going to be doing that no matter what. However it will be alienating the users using the divide. A smarter way in my opinion would be have the paid users watch it Tuesday like regular, and then have the free users hear the whole bombcast on the Wednesday. "
The problem with that is the stuff you want to hear in time, like releases.  That's why they're giving the first hour.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By Jadeskye
@LiquidPrince said:
" @jadeskye said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @SpudBug:@jadeskye:  It's not the fact that they are getting subscriptions... Hell, people from the community were basically telling them that they were willing to support them. It's just the way they are going about it. Mostly it's the weird bombcast divide. "
I'm assuming you listened to the podcast detailing this stuff, it's clearly a matter of nessesity. They need to make money from the bombcast to continue it. It takes 8 manhours plus to make a bombcast. Thats a full working day. "
They are still going to be doing that no matter what. However it will be alienating the users using the divide. A smarter way in my opinion would be have the paid users watch it Tuesday like regular, and then have the free users hear the whole bombcast on the Wednesday. "
A day isn't going to entice more subscribers. the bombcast probably represents the biggest hosting issue for whiskey. Thus lots of money spent. Clearly the hours spent plus the hosting cost makes the bombcast the #1 target for subscriber marketing. They can't really make it Better per se so they're gonna have to limit it. Frankly how they've done it is very good in my honest opinion.
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Damien
@Themanohall said:
" @Damien: Watch the 2009 PAX panel. They say that a subscription is probably coming is the Q & A.  "
That has been in the works for a long time, but never revealed to be due to money issues.  That's what I'm referring to.  I know a subscription fee has been in planning for a while now.
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jadeskye said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

First of all, full working day for one man lets make sure we get that in there. 

Secondly, thats 8 hours to make the thing that GB is most known for, the thing that brought me and many others here in the first place, the thing that provides the (arguably) biggest connection between us and them. The last part is the biggest issue. Every TNT will now be watched by two kinds of users: the ones that know all the weird shit that happened in the second part of the bombcast, and the ones that don't know. The guys will probably talk about some of the jokes that were said on there and I'm sure the people in the chat will bring it up. The same thing will also happen with the forums. This is precisely what they didn't want to do.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#59  Edited By Claude
@Meteora said:
" @Claude said:
" This is awesome. I love this shit. Drama at its best, well, internet drama, but drama none the less. "
And the senior watches gleefully at how the shit is going down on Giantbomb. :3 "
I've created enough of my own drama. Don't let my coolness fool you. I'm sure I'll find something that will piss me off. But there again, only more drama.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By LiquidPrince
@jadeskye said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @jadeskye said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
A day isn't going to entice more subscribers. the bombcast probably represents the biggest hosting issue for whiskey. Thus lots of money spent. Clearly the hours spent plus the hosting cost makes the bombcast the #1 target for subscriber marketing. They can't really make it Better per se so they're gonna have to limit it. Frankly how they've done it is very good in my honest opinion. "
I highly doubt the bombcast takes more bandwidth then their videos, like the Endurance runs and such. It is audio only. In my honest opinion, it's a very bad way to go about it.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Diamond

I find the whole debate entertaining in many ways, even though I don't support the change.  Lighten up.

The whole thing is a bit depressing, but there's still lots of other people that deserve my money.  Maybe some more people will give our BonusEXP podcast a chance to hear the impressions sooner in some cases (we cover games somewhat differently anyways though.).

It is sad that some people are going to know this and that and others won't.

However, it'll give me an excuse in the future to spend less time / invest less in Giant Bomb as a whole.  The value went down a little bit so now I can spend a little bit more time doing other things.

BD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By BD
@jadeskye said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @jadeskye said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
A day isn't going to entice more subscribers. the bombcast probably represents the biggest hosting issue for whiskey. Thus lots of money spent. Clearly the hours spent plus the hosting cost makes the bombcast the #1 target for subscriber marketing. They can't really make it Better per se so they're gonna have to limit it. Frankly how they've done it is very good in my honest opinion. "
They did say they are going to reformat it and if they compress the news, new releases, and maybe some emails into one hour I want to see what they do with the second one. Hopefully some new segments and talking. I just hope they post the first new format bombcast for free to everyone so free subscriber can see what is different.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By meteora
@Claude said:
" @Meteora said:
" @Claude said:
" This is awesome. I love this shit. Drama at its best, well, internet drama, but drama none the less. "
And the senior watches gleefully at how the shit is going down on Giantbomb. :3 "
I've created enough of my own drama. Don't let my coolness fool you. I'm sure I'll find something that will piss me off. But there again, only more drama. "
Ah but of course. 

I clearly remember the time when you ranted about the broken search engine and how you said it ruined Giantbomb for you. =P
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jadeskye
@LiquidPrince said:
" @jadeskye said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @jadeskye said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
I highly doubt the bombcast takes more bandwidth then their videos, like the Endurance runs and such. It is audio only. In my honest opinion, it's a very bad way to go about it. "
supposedly over 80,000 people a week listen to the bombcast. i'd be willing to bet 80,000 people  a week don't watch an endurance run episode.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Diamond
@jadeskye:  But they're still releasing the full podcast over time.  Sure they'll lose a few thousand listeners if not a bit more but I think that is contrary to their goals.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By LiquidPrince
@jadeskye:  Video and audio don't exactly compare 1:1. The bandwidth for one episode of the endurance run probably equals hundred of bombcasts.
SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#67  Edited By SpudBug

Well i'm tired of arguing with people whose only point is "but i want it" 

you're still getting two hours of podcast every week. I have no sympathy for you.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#68  Edited By Claude
@Meteora said:
" @Claude said:
" @Meteora said:
" @Claude said:
I've created enough of my own drama. Don't let my coolness fool you. I'm sure I'll find something that will piss me off. But there again, only more drama. "
Ah but of course.      I clearly remember the time when you ranted about the broken search engine and how you said it ruined Giantbomb for you. =P "
Good times.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Diamond
@SpudBug:  I don't think many people are arguing that point at all.

Most are arguing that this is a bad decision for them as a whole as it devalues the entire site by at least a little bit.  Imagine if tomorrow Steam said they'll be charging $50 a year to let people buy games on day one, otherwise they have to wait a week.  Also, they'll be limited to 720p output in all Steam games.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Jadeskye
@LiquidPrince said:
" @jadeskye:  Video and audio don't exactly compare 1:1. The bandwidth for one episode of the endurance run probably equals hundred of bombcasts. "
if you've downloaded an FLV like i have you'll notice something significant. the size of the bombcast vs. Say a 30 minute P4 ER episode is roughly the same.
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#71  Edited By Sin4profit

I plan on getting a year's sub as a "thank you" note but even i'm uncomfortable about the splitting bombcast...mostly confused about it...does it mean non members get two hours but split into one new hour and one "last week" hour?
I dunno, we'll see how things go.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#72  Edited By elko84

The GB crew has my support.  When they were all at GameSpot, I paid a subscription there just because of these guys.  I didn't even really like the site that much.  Once they all left, I left.  These guys are the best.  They're the type of people I could totally see myself hanging out with.  If the money help keeps the site have all the coolness it does now, I'll be glad to have contributed.  Keep it up guys!

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#73  Edited By SpudBug
@Diamond said:
" @SpudBug:  I don't think many people are arguing that point at all.  Most are arguing that this is a bad decision for them as a whole as it devalues the entire site by at least a little bit.  Imagine if tomorrow Steam said they'll be charging $50 a year to let people buy games on day one, otherwise they have to wait a week.  Also, they'll be limited to 720p output in all Steam games. "
That doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about here. Whiskey isn't charging anyone $50 per year. 

Nobody is required to pay $50 per year to keep using giantbomb.com as they use it today.

Also you don't pay for the podcast, also steam makes money other ways.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Diamond
@SpudBug:  It's true that they're not charging, but I personally will be getting less out of Giant Bomb every week (in that 1/2 of the bombcast will be a week old).  It's a small drop in content but not insignificant.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#75  Edited By ReyGitano
@SpudBug: I find it amazing how a group as caring for their community as Giantbomb can say "we're taking away this small segment until a week later in order to ensure that we can not only continue to bring you this kind of content, but make it better and provide MORE of it" and just have people spit in their face. 
These guys don't run the stupefying amount of ads as other sites do such as IGN or Gamespot (seriously, type in IGN.com, you can't get to the main site without having to see an ad take up the entire screen and clicking to continue) and need the money. If they're making a decision like delaying half a podcast, and going through the effort to reorganize, there must be a good reason. 
Giantbomb has never done me wrong before, I think I owe it to them to give it a chance.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By Bones8677
@SpudBug said:

" Name one other outlet that provides 2+hours/week of free entertainment that you actually want to partake of and look forward to each and every week - for free.  I can't. As far as I can tell the bombcast being free is the unusual thing, not the normal thing. "

Analog Hole Gaming's podcast goes on for almost three hours, and it's completely free.
The Instance World of Warcraft podcast runs from an hour and a half to over two hours and is completely free.
NeoUltima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By NeoUltima

All the negativity is stemming from splitting up the Bombcast it seems to me. I think it is understandable to be upset about that cause something that was free isn't anymore(unless you wait a week). Whiskey really should not have made that decision(imo), they should have known there would be huge backlash.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@SpudBug

said:

" Name one other outlet that provides 2+hours/week of free entertainment that you actually want to partake of and look forward to each and every week - for free.  I can't. As far as I can tell the bombcast being free is the unusual thing, not the normal thing. "

Talk Radar. Other than that, I can't think of anything. 

If this membership idea means this site stays up, nobody should be complaining. This site is a privilege, not a right.
BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By BionicMonster
@Turtlemayor333 said:
" It is possible to want to support the site but not support the decision to split Bombcasts.  Throw up a donate button. "
You can't plan a paycheck around donations.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

The split podcast thing is pretty shitty but a brotha's gotta get paid.  Just came at a horrible time when I am moving and low on funds at the moment. Just get rid of  Whiskey Media's red headed stepchild Anime Vice.  That should raise a few bones and rid the Whiskey Media Family of the uncle you are not comfortable leaving your kids alone with.  JKJKJK

eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#81  Edited By eternitymemory
@Feanor: Not trying to be antagonistic (Normally I wouldn't preface with this, but after reading a lot other users' reactions to the subscription unveiling, I'm wary to respond to anyone at the moment), but couldn't you just then go for the monthly $5 sub? I'm mainly a GBer. I'll go to screened on occasion, and if I ever have a techie problem I'll definitely give tested a go, but  I don't visit the other WM sites that much either. I feel that throwing down 5 monthly bones isn't a bad deal for those focused on one branch of WM rather than the whole. That, and $50 is a bit over my limit. $40 would have been pushing it, though I admit to paying almost as much for PandoraOne. Damn them and their utterly obnoxious ads. :( 

The Bombcast splitting is definitely something I (or anyone else, apparently) did not see coming, but I can't say much more than that, other than the fact that I'm not surprised in the slightest at the rage that showed up in response. In fact, users NOT losing their heads, even if the bombcast hadn't been split, would have amazed me. I'm cool with waiting a week during the months when I don't renew my subscription, but I'm not a very heavy gamer, and I tend to enjoy the rambling side stories more than than the actual game-talk in the bombcast, so it doesn't matter to me when I get to listen to the Bombcast. 

In the end, I'll pay $5 on most months because I support WM and I want to give what I can reasonably afford. I found it kind of disheartening to see some users so quickly say they plan to to torrent bombcasts and turn their AdBlocks back on. Such an attitude might get you what you want immediately and for free, but it's not going to help WM in the slightest as far money is concerned, so the Bombcast will still be split and yearly subscriptions will still be pricey. :( 

All this drama also reminded me of why I kind of avoid getting too deep into this community in the first place. 
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#82  Edited By ReyGitano
@eternitymemory: It's really too bad. I can't remember so much drama on the Giantbomb site, which is why I love (loved?) the community so much.  

I can understand everyone's anger, and having not been 20 all my life, I can understand that some people simply can't subscribe to the site no matter how much they want to, but you have to understand that Giantbomb loves it's community.  

It sounded to me like this has been an issue that's been long in discussion, and the only alternative would have been to cut down the ENTIRE bombcast into around an hour, which is around the time that all the other Whiskey Media podcasts run, and I don't think anyone would have enjoyed that.
CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By CharlieTuna

I'm fine with the split of the bombcast, hell I've got a 3-4 episode backlog of them at all times, they're so damn long I don't know how people find the time. It's a shame that there is such a dumbass backlash against the guys at GB, you really can't expect to get all this quality content for free. The internet generation will always feel entitled to get get everything for free, there should be drawbacks to not paying for a subscription for a site like this, if there is not nobody would pay. The fact that people are so butthurt about it means that it's something they probably will miss a lot, so pay for it. I myself am fine with waiting a week.

I do however feel that $50 is a bit too much, 30$ would probably be a sweet spot a lot of people would go for, even 40$ would be fine. But $50, maaaaan.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#84  Edited By StarFoxA
@NinjaHunter said:
" @StarFoxA said:
" @SpudBug said:
" Name one other outlet that provides 2+hours/week of free entertainment that you actually want to partake of each and every week - for free.  I can't. As far as I can tell the bombcast being free is the unusual thing, not the normal thing. "
Rebel FM, CAGCast, Hulu, and many more podcasts. "
And the bombcast will still do this for free. All the news and stuff that's time sensitive will be within the first hour the other hour will be things like E-mails and Vinny talking about Fallout 3 or Bayonetta. That's two hours of bombcast but just the second hour will be from last week if you don't subscribe. I don't see why people are up in arms over this. Saying that they are charging you for the bombcast is not true at all. It's purely the convenience of listening to everything right away plus all of the other stuff that comes with the subscription. I really don't think this is that big of a deal. "
Yeah, I don't really care (I rarely listen to the Bombcast during the same week), so I pretty much agree. I was just answering the question.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ryanwho

Splay your moral superiority like a peacock.

PAT4019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By PAT4019
@SpudBug: Couldn't agree more, watching the boards conflate has been amusing and utterly frustrating.  Just chill brahs.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ThePickle

Can someone explain to me what's happening to the bombcast? 

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Soulblitz
@HandsomeDevil said:
" Can someone explain to me what's happening to the bombcast?  "
It's basically going to structured differently now, so that it can be fit nicely into two halves. Subscribers get the full two hours on day one, and non-subscribers have to wait a week to listen to the second hour. Now, a lot of people have a problem with this, not only because they'll have to wait for the second half of the content, but because they feel the content and style of the content will be affected. After all, are they still going to have running jokes and go off on zany tangents throughout a Bombcast if they know that they're going to have to cut it half way through, and loads of people are going to have to wait to hear it?

I'm personally going to subcribe so it won't be an issue for me, but what I've said there definitely seems like what people have a problem with. That and, well, the podcast has been awesome and free up until this point, so suddenly making half of it exclusive to members for a week (meaning that the second half of it will be a week out of date by the time you hear it) is obviously going to piss people off.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ThePickle
@Soulblitz: Thanks for explaining. Now I will cry in the corner because I will have to wait even longer for my bombcast. Thanks Whiskey!