The next Xbox is called Xbox Series X.

Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Thoughts? Are we going to refer to it as the Series for shorthand? The X? Or just Xbox like always, but still not knowing what gen we are referring to.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

The Wii U

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Xbox SEries X

The Xbox SEX

Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

"Series" seems like an automotive word to me.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@kraznor: I felt the same. Sounds like a fancy European car branded thing.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7 chaser324  Moderator

It seems like a terrible name to me, but I guess I'm not a huge corporation with a massive marketing department.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz_kaj said:

The Xbox SEries X

The Xbox SEX

Hmmm XBone to Xbox SEX.

The future is bright for the next entry.

Also, I think that I understand where they were going with this, but it's still so stupid. We are definitely just going to call it the Xbox. It is just hilarious to me that this all (IIRC) stems from them not wanting the Xbox 2 to go up against the PS3.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a bad name that will confuse people the same as the Wii U did, but at least the box itself looks markedly different enough that there's at least something to set it apart. It's actually ludicrous that Xbox would pull essentially the same naming trick as Nintendo did with the Wii U with a straight face - the hubris is real. (System sounds really promising though!)

My buddy @blasvimi sent me a message calling it the Xbox SeX immediately after the name was revealed on the Game Awards... I'm glad others came to the same place on it and I'm already [looking forward to / incredibly tired of] all the jokes derived from that name.

Sintes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think they could do it, but they did it! They found a worse name than Xbox One.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Design of the console is odd? I like it.. but i feel the majority of people want their console to fit the unit their TV sits on? This may have the problem people have with sticking their PC tower next to the TV...

Name isn't ideal but i can deal with the Xbox SeX.

Ultimately it comes down to exclusives on which i go for first as they'll be very similar in terms of hardware specs. See what Sony & MS show at E3.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Onemanarmyy

right now the name sounds a bit wonky as we go from Xbox One X towards Xbox Series X, but i think in the future when we have multiple xboxes at different pricepoints it might make way more sense. Xbox series X for the best settings, Xbox Series S for the budget option. Maybe being so far removed from Playstations numbering will enable them to then just follow these models up with a X2 & S2.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By zaccheus

If the Xbox One X wouldn't excist it would be fine, but now it just seems like some kind of special edition console and not next gen. Still, it's just a name and doesn't matter too much.

@philipduck it can be used horizontaly so it's not that different from the previous two generations.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus: You say it can be used horizontally, does it state that in the article? If you did turn this over onto its side you then have a large single fan pushing all the hot air straight into the side of a TV unit wall... previous generations of consoles are designed with this in mind so they push air through the sides and back to disperse the heat. It definitely shouldn't be horizontal in a unit. Also if you did this then the power button ends up being the wrong way round.. not a great look.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zaccheus
fauxical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being fully honest, I think Phil Spencer and the whole Xbox team should have used it to show off what it's capable of and upcoming games. It reminds me of the 360 launch when all the games were just ports with textures that looked a little clearer. They should have had something to show off because they forgot PS5 is just around the corner.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zaccheus

@fauxical: They anounced the console... It will be released in holiday 2020, maybe they will have some games to show before that? Big E3 without Sony?

fauxical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

@fauxical: They anounced the console... It will realease in holiday 2020, maybe they will have some games to show before that? :)

It should have been Halo Infinite. They had a trailer at E3 and you would be hoping by now they would show off at least some gameplay.

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't name a console 'series'! Series means multiple things! This is one thing! "Xbox series" means all the Xboxes, not the next Xbox!

Anyway, they should call it "the next great console in the Xbox series".

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BrunoTheThird

As much as I loved the dumb name 'Xbox 360', it really fucked them. Xbox One, as dumb as that also was, gave them the chance to force their naming methodology back onto a more traditional and fixed trajectory: X1, X2, X3, and so on, easy. But they've managed to out-dumb themselves once again, ha. The names will continue to get worse, and I'm secretly glad...

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stalefishies: well there will be the diskless version and probably a streaming box at some point. I guess all of the will be part of the series.

@brunothethird: the more you think about it the crazier the whole thing seems for sure.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, is MS going to go with the Tesla naming conventions from now on? Will the next be Series B, then Series O, etc?

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

@fauxical: They anounced the console... It will be released in holiday 2020, maybe they will have some games to show before that? Big E3 without Sony?

Yeah, in a perfect world you'd get a bunch of games with the first look at the name/console, but I don't think that really happens anymore. And especially in this context, they did what they wanted- they got the name out there, so even if people did hate it (seems like most are just underwhelmed or confused by it, which is not bad for a MS naming announcement) they are used to it by the time they start showing more games for it.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say the same thing I always say about console names: they're all dumb when you think about them and/or first hear about them, but they eventually become household names we use every day. Names don't matter.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Series X just sounds weird to me cause you have Xbox One X and you might get people confused if they think Series X and Xbox One X are the same. I guess MIcrosoft wanted Xbox Series X to be in the same family as Xbox One and Xbox One X thus calling it Series X.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By monkeyking1969

I honestly think Microsoft should just go with XBox 5. Then, in two years put out Xbox 5 Pro and XBox 5 S.

I get it, Xbox 360 was a cool name, And360 matched up against PlayStation 3. However, it was a name where seemingly nobody thought about the next name...Xbox 720? So PS4 comes out and you think "We need a damn name!" And you SHOULD have gone with Xbox 4. Yup, there had only been two prior systems...but who cares its funny for a second that people would have moved on. But, you went with XBox One...which, sorry idiots, was just bad math as well!!!! Then you doubled down on confusing names with Xbox One X

Just name it Xbox 5. MS needs to stop f%$cking around. Because where does XBox Series X go? Xbox Series Y? Your naming conventions are leading that company in circles that go nowhere?

Does something were one thing follows another

Xbox One, Xbox Two, Xbox Three...that goes somewhere.

Xbox Athena, Xbox Mars, Xbox Zeus...that goes somewhere.

XBox Cookie, Xbox Pie, Xbox Banana-Split....that is doing something.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Xbox/Xbox 360/Xbox One/Xbox One X. I would have called it Xbox 5.