The Official Unnofficial 3D Platformers Thread

PhantomMartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PhantomMartyr

Since Yooka-Laylee has been taking the gaming world by storm, I decided to celebrate by creating a tribute thread to my all time favorite genre of games. In the "Games That Made Your Jaw Drop" thread, I already mentioned how awe inspiring Super Mario 64 was. I love the other 3D Mario games, too. Is it just me that prefers Sunshine over Galaxy, though? Also, Banjo-Kazooie is fantastic. It uses the same engine a SM64, but adds its own spin to it. I'll talk about more later, including the underrated (in terms of criticism rather than sales) Donkey Kong 64.

PhantomMartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Donkey Kong 64 is an awesome game, I don't care what anyone says. While reception at the time was positive, nowadays, you see a plethora of fat, sweaty, basement dwelling neckbeards on the internet complaining about collecting shit, and then proceed to completely ignore the good aspects of this game. First of all, I love collecting. A platformer without collecting is like baseball without bats. Also, the game is absolutely huge. Large ass levels, five different characters each with their own set of moves, a bunch of weapons and powerups, Jetpac and DK Arcade, this game was stunning. The fact that this came out on the N64 is amazing, and definitely pushed the hardware to its limits. The music is great. It features some of the best graphics on the system. This game is the shit.

Also, I hope Yooka-Laylee ushers in a 3D Platformer Renaissance. That would be awesome. It's sad to see my favorite genre pretty much dead outside of Mario and Sonic.