There Can Only Be One: Singleplayer or Multiplayer?

• 65 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Poll There Can Only Be One: Singleplayer or Multiplayer? (267 votes)

Singleplayer 84%
Multiplayer 16%

An all powerful djinn grants Jack Thompson a wish to ban games. Though like always with the djinn, there's a twist. There shall only be singleplayer or multiplayer in games henceforth.

If there only could be one, would you prefer to play multiplayer or singleplayer games to the end of time?

• 
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I personally would say multiplayer, because if it done right then you could have singular experiences inside of a multiplayer game. Example: I played a large portion of vanilla World of Warcraft and the beta without partying up with anyone or any other player character effecting my game and it was always multiplayer. I think that's the biggest thing to solve in this generation where single and multiplayer lines are blurred: does it negatively effect my experience of the game?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Multiplayer

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Single player, everytime.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

Single player, because it could at least make it seem to be multiplayer. And those virtual players are all awesome, instead of the dregs of society you usually play with. ;)

Most of my favorite games of all time have been well-crafted single player games. So, I'd have to go with that.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Seppli

Seeing how Dark Souls/Demon's Souls can be regarded as a multiplayer game (it's certainly not a singleplayer game), and most future games are blurring the lines between singleplayer and multiplayer in a similar fashion, obviously multiplayer - there's just so much more potential left to be explored.

None of the qualities of a singleplayer game are exclusive to singleplayer games, they all can be found in well-crafted multiplayer games eventually, where-as the excitement and challange and dynamism of multiplayer can never be fully recreated in a singleplayer game.

Multiplayer all the way.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

@seppli: Oh, if you're including a game like Dark Souls into "multiplayer", then the obvious answer is multiplayer. If singleplayer games with optional multiplayer elements are included in multiplayer, then it should be the clear winner. You get it all.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: Eh. I think that's dependent on your definition- I would take issue with labelling dark souls a "multiplayer game". I mean, if your gonna say that any game with an integrated multiplayer option counts as multiplayer, than sure- but I think it's far more in the spirit of the poll to look at it like this: If you choose single player, all the dark souls multiplayer aspects get removed. If you choose multiplayer, you can never not be actively playing with others- people are always in your world, can always team up with you, and can always attack you.

Single player, all the way.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Single player, obviously.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: Eh. I think that's dependent on your definition- I would take issue with labelling dark souls a "multiplayer game". I mean, if your gonna say that any game with an integrated multiplayer option counts as multiplayer, than sure- but I think it's far more in the spirit of the poll to look at it like this: If you choose single player, all the dark souls multiplayer aspects get removed. If you choose multiplayer, you can never not be actively playing with others- people are always in your world, can always team up with you, and can always attack you.

Single player, all the way.

Yeah, the spirit of this question seems to be the choice between singleplayer only and multiplayer only. For example, a RPG with only your lonesome or a fighting game or shooter with only multiplayer with others.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Well, I don't play multiplayer games anyway, so I think I'll pick singleplayer...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

Single player. I think some multiplayers can be fun, but I rarely ever, on my own play multiplayer games (as in, I'll really only play it if it's local play). Even if it's a spectacular game like The Last of Us, it wasn't until a few days ago that I gave in and tried the multiplayer... For one match. It was fun, but I stopped after the first go to probably never go back. So yes, multiplayer can be quite a lot of fun, but I'm a single player campaign kind of person. If we were to look at it plain and simple, would I rather play video games if it was more like Call of Duty multiplayer (or Battlefield and what have you), or Bioshock, I'd very much take Bioshock over the previous.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I barely play multiplayer games anyway so this is an easy decision.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I really had to choose, I'd keep multiplayer. Sure you meet alot of bad apples in multiplayer, but my favorite game-related stories are always about the experiences ppl have playing with or against each other. The stories like I met this dude playing street fighter when i was 10 and now we're lifelong friends 20 yrs later, the we met online in EVE/Mincraft/WoW and now we're married, the EVOs/Internationals of the world, and so on. I don't think I would trade that kind of stuff in just for a great single player campaign.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multiplayer, obviously.

What's the point of games if not to play with other people.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Singleplayer.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Singleplayer.

If I want to play with friends, I'll go outside.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ezekiel

Single player. Multi-players don't behave according to the game world. Single player experiences are more memorable. I prefer obstacle stages and an emphasis on exploration over arenas. The enemy designs are more varied. The goals in multi player matches are always the same, whereas in single player you have a story. Some of those things can be added to multi player games, but then they become the main focus and the multi player becomes an extra, like in D. Souls, whose players make up their own rules, spam useless messages, congregate and idle in the same PvP areas and act like players rather than characters. When a "campaign" has both, I care more about the single player elements. If all single player games had multi player like D. Souls or Journey, the creators would have to change their stories or settings to incorporate it, potentially making them less effective or ruining them. Imagine if Sony told Team Ico they had to come up with an excuse for having other players in the desolate, peaceful world of Shadow of the Colossus. The games don't disconnect, lag horribly, cheat on you or cease to be playable within a few years.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#20  Edited By audioBusting

I've played multiplayer games alone. This is like asking whether I want a dollar or two.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Juzie

Hmm multiplayer games are just what I waste time in while I wait for the next singleplayer game I want to come out. I guess id ban multiplayer and find a new hobby to do in between.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@seppli: I believe that hybrid of singleplayer and multiplayer is what we in the business* call mingleplayer.

*The business of hating ourselves.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

Video games have too much potential as a storytelling medium.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Deranged

If more video games focused their talents on the narrative of the game, then hell yes. Unfortunately, if a game ships without multiplayer these days without being an established name, its chances of survival are slim and the title is unfortunately nerfed.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Single player. Other people fucking suck.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Single player, every time. I hate people, and having to play a game with people that don't care and just want to fuck around and not actually play the game are the icing on the shit cake.

Avatar image for mideooonnvisceraaa
MideooonNVisceraaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess multiplayer, but I sure don't feel good about that choice.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

A world without Worms?

Nope.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By awesomeusername

Single. All you choosing multi should be locked in a dungeon you savages.

You all don't understand either that it'd be a world where Call of Duty will still reign. Whenever a game integrates multiplayer, it's usually shitty aside from a few games and most games die out within a month. So no thanks. I don't want to stick to playing shooters the rest of my life. Rather not play games at all.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

FUCK OTHER PEOPLE.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Single player, always. I don't like people.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

No matter what you vote for the machines have won. :(

EidoMwashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Single player all the way. Multiplayer's fun for a distraction but I've always struggled to get really invested into it, except for maybe Street Fighter 4 and Mario Kart.

jasbir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jasbir

Single Player

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I hate people in my games.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knew this site was filled with misanthropes who hate fun?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TruthTellah

@canteu said:

To be fair, this is Giant Bomb. The site and its community are not really something any of us can ever fully understand.

No Caption Provided
TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Absolutely singleplayer, I haven't played anything multiplayer since Halo 3 and before that, I didn't play multiplayer.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jamesyfx

Single Player would be my choice, because I like to game at my own pace. For example If I want to just stop and explore in a game.. I can. Or quit whenever I feel like. In Multiplayer games I usually feel as if I'm being dragged along by everybody else, it's not as enjoyable.

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I would say single player in a heartbeat, but now, idk. Dota 2's pretty good, you guys...

Bummlmitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

Oh right, the glorious fun in playing with other people over the internet... . Singleplayer all the way. Keep those assholes out of my games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Single Player. Usually when I play games its because I want to escape into my own little world away from people. I enjoy multiplayer but if push came to shove I'd take my solitary experiences every time over multiplayer every time.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By beeftothetaco

Multiplayer, because Demon/Dark Souls.

EDIT: Also, EVE.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Single player, I enjoy a good campaign and can easily move on to the next game rather than playing on the same maps over and over.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Hmm my message disappeared, too lazy to write another. This is a really easy decision, 95-99% of multiplayer communities are shit; if every community was like Starcraft: Brood War's then you might have some capacity for discussion.

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like multiplayer games fin but I play way more single-player

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Single-player or bust. Sometimes I do 2 player local play, rarely ever play online.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#48  Edited By FakeKisser

I've tried a lot of multiplayer games, but they just don't stick. Personally, it's the stories (i.e. narratives) that bring me back to games over and over. The worlds and the stories in them. No multiplayer game has done that for me in a compelling way, yet.

I may try out Elder Scrolls Online, though, and I do wish I knew more people to play co-op games with online.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ozzdog12
MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#50  Edited By MormonWarrior

Single player is two words. And I very rarely play games with other people.

Multiplayer, because Demon/Dark Souls.

Funny I was going to say single player because Dark Souls. Huh.