Thinking about doing an off my mind series for GiantBomb

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Chocobodude3

Reading the off my mind series from Comic Vine inspired me to do something like that but for GiantBomb. if thats okay with you guys than okay.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

Good for you.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

What's an "off my mind" series?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Avatar image for boomsnapclap113
boomsnapclap113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By boomsnapclap113

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zyn

"Off my mind" What's an series?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iamjohn

C-c-c-combo breaker.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By Little_Socrates

I personally hold a lot of distaste for "Off My Mind", so I'll leave your future posts alone if you receive the go-ahead on this. If you're going to do "Off My Mind", though, have the topics be less mundane than "Should Good Always Triumph Over Evil?" and the like. That's not even challenging the norms of comic books anymore; Captain America and Bruce Wayne have both died in the last ten years. Good's been pretty easily allowed to lose since the death of Jason Todd, I figure.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By FLStyle
@stoodspoon said:
" Reading the off my mind series from Comic Vine inspired me to do something like that but for GiantBomb. if thats okay with you guys than okay. "
Well as long as you're aware that it'll never become an official Giant Bomb series of articles, just a bunch of your blogs that happen to share its name with Tony's articles, then sure, go for it.

@JJWeatherman:
@PhatSeeJay:
@zyn:
People got opinions, they post them, off their mind, so to speak.
Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Shouldn't it be "on my mind"?

Either way, whatever.  Do what you want, free country, am I right?

Unless you're country isn't free, then my apologies.

Besides, freedom is just an illusion, right?

Wait, what were we talking about?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Little_Socrates said:
" I personally hold a lot of distaste for "Off My Mind", so I'll leave your future posts alone if you receive the go-ahead on this. If you're going to do "Off My Mind", though, have the topics be less mundane than "Should Good Always Triumph Over Evil?" and the like. That's not even challenging the norms of comic books anymore; Captain America and Bruce Wayne have both died in the last ten years. Good's been pretty easily allowed to lose since the death of Jason Todd, I figure. "
That's what those questions are? Yea, they kinda suck, since they're mostly inane bullshit that can be answered in half a sentence. For example, why don't we see superheroes go to the bathroom? Shit happens off panel. If this is coming to Giant Bomb in any form, the questions should actually stimulate some kind of discussion, like "Why did King K Rool get stuck with worse positions as his plans improved?"
GreyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By GreyFox
@stoodspoon said:
" Reading the off my mind series from Comic Vine inspired me to do something like that but for GiantBomb. if thats okay with you guys than okay. "
Not okay with me.
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By recroulette

Off My Mind: When do video game characters go to the bathroom?

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Little_Socrates
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Little_Socrates said:
" I personally hold a lot of distaste for "Off My Mind", so I'll leave your future posts alone if you receive the go-ahead on this. If you're going to do "Off My Mind", though, have the topics be less mundane than "Should Good Always Triumph Over Evil?" and the like. That's not even challenging the norms of comic books anymore; Captain America and Bruce Wayne have both died in the last ten years. Good's been pretty easily allowed to lose since the death of Jason Todd, I figure. "
That's what those questions are? Yea, they kinda suck, since they're mostly inane bullshit that can be answered in half a sentence. For example, why don't we see superheroes go to the bathroom? Shit happens off panel. If this is coming to Giant Bomb in any form, the questions should actually stimulate some kind of discussion, like "Why did King K Rool get stuck with worse positions as his plans improved?" "
The worst part is that they didn't even discuss WHY we don't see them go to the bathroom, the advantages (it humanizes our heroes, it gives us a moment of potential comic relief) and disadvantages (outside of pacing purposes, it's pretty filler panel-y) of its use, or acknowledge the obvious "it's usually not very interesting." Instead they blathered about how these superheroes must have bladders of steel and made a lot of really bad jokes. 

There is potential for the concept; challenge the norms of comics in really weird, subtle ways. But you need to actually bring some thoughts about storytelling and thematic content to it for it not to be ridiculously dumb, and you CERTAINLY can't just raise questions that were answered twenty years ago.
Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Krakn3Dfx
@GreyFox said:
" @stoodspoon said:
Not okay with me. "
Way to be The Man.

Just to spite you, now I'M gonna start an "On My Mind" thing/blog.   First Topic:  Fleshlights and Peanut Allergies.
rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

This be silly!

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By craigbo180

Do the skit.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By JoeyRavn
@Little_Socrates said:
Captain America was not "technically" dead, and Bruce Wayne was positively not dead. He was trapped in time, but very much alive. </comicbookgeek>
Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Chocobodude3

Sorry i meant to say on my mind

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By birchman
@RecSpec said:
" Off My Mind: When do video game characters go to the bathroom? "
They don't go to the bathroom. They are the bathroom.
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Little_Socrates
@JoeyRavn said:
" @Little_Socrates said:
Captain America was not "technically" dead, and Bruce Wayne was positively not dead. He was trapped in time, but very much alive. </comicbookgeek> "
Fair. They made them both APPEAR to be dead, at least...missed the follow-ups on those stories. Though I was aware the current Batman storyline being written by Morrison was Bruce Wayne again, I wasn't sure if it was running alongside the post-Cowl storyline or not. Cap's "death" was a big media blowout as well, though I never followed up on that story because I still intend to read all the comics related to it.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamjohn
@Little_Socrates said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @Little_Socrates said:
That's what those questions are? Yea, they kinda suck, since they're mostly inane bullshit that can be answered in half a sentence. For example, why don't we see superheroes go to the bathroom? Shit happens off panel. If this is coming to Giant Bomb in any form, the questions should actually stimulate some kind of discussion, like "Why did King K Rool get stuck with worse positions as his plans improved?" "
The worst part is that they didn't even discuss WHY we don't see them go to the bathroom, the advantages (it humanizes our heroes, it gives us a moment of potential comic relief) and disadvantages (outside of pacing purposes, it's pretty filler panel-y) of its use, or acknowledge the obvious "it's usually not very interesting." Instead they blathered about how these superheroes must have bladders of steel and made a lot of really bad jokes.  There is potential for the concept; challenge the norms of comics in really weird, subtle ways. But you need to actually bring some thoughts about storytelling and thematic content to it for it not to be ridiculously dumb, and you CERTAINLY can't just raise questions that were answered twenty years ago. "
Well, if stoodspoon's "On My Mind" thread about Heavy Rain is any indication of the insightful things we can expect from him, then I fully expect some great, insightful and intelligent commentary from him.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Yanngc33
@JJWeatherman: its when someone thinks of someone dumb and writes about it. think something along the lines of "Off My Mind: How does Wrex go to the bathroom?
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yanngc33 said:
" @JJWeatherman: its when someone thinks of someone dumb and writes about it. think something along the lines of "Off My Mind: How does Wrex go to the bathroom? "
He don't. He lets it build up inside to fuel his anger in battle.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Yanngc33
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @Yanngc33 said:
" @JJWeatherman: its when someone thinks of someone dumb and writes about it. think something along the lines of "Off My Mind: How does Wrex go to the bathroom? "
He don't. He lets it build up inside to fuel his anger in battle. "
That sounds so painful, holding it in for 30 hours or more
sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By sparklykiss
@RecSpec said:
" Off My Mind: When do video game characters go to the bathroom? "
Whenever they want to travel/teleport quickly, obviously. Deathspank would not be a man if he didn't tunnel through toilets.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By FancySoapsMan

You do seem like someone's who's off their mind.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Sayishere

TOASTY