Thinking about getting either a SNES or a Genesis.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

A place I go to called Frank and Sons Collectible show has both a Genesis and a SNES for sale. I think the genesis is 30, and the SNES is 40. Now, im not entirely huge on RPGs, sure Ill play em, but there not my first games of choice. I mainly like the sidescrolling Beat-em-ups and platformers. I know genesis has more of thsoe sidescroller beatemups I think, but I heard SNES was a better console over all. Which do you think I should get? 

BTW: Both include hookups and Controllers.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

I got a SNES with 15 games and 2 controllers from a mate for £10 or something a few years ago. I got my cheap but it's an awesome system. Get a SNES.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Suicrat

SNES is by far the better console. Whoever told you that Genesis has better platformers hasn't played Castlevania 4, any of the Donkey Kong Country games, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, or Super Mario World. The SNES also has a far better controllers as well as Link to the Past (the best Zelda game ever) and FUCKING UNIRACERS, MAN! THE BEST GAME EVER CONCEIVED!

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Seedofpower

The most fun I had with my Snes was playing FF3 or 6 for the rest of the world.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I had fun with both, so it depends on the software you have available.  I grew up with the Genesis, and there were a ton of good games for that, but I saw stuff to like on the SNES too.

If you were more specific on what sort of games looked interesting to you, it might be easier to tell you which to pick...

PsychedelicET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By PsychedelicET

Yeah you should probably start with a SNES and then get a Genesis later, as the SNES is a phenomenal console with a ton of great games.  This coming from a guy who as a kid bought a Genesis early-on and ended up renting SNES systems and games a lot because they were just more compelling.  Streets of Rage was a great sidescrolling beat-em-up series for the Genesis, make no mistake - and there are other great games on the Genesis too.  But the SNES trumps the Genesis for me due to the better technology and sheer number of quality games, of all generas.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Ah, the original console war question! I'd go with SNES overall because Mario > Sonic and most games that came out on both were better on SNES but you pretty much can't go wrong either way.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword

Well, for example I was big on thsoe Disney games that came out. Like the Aladdin game adn lion king game. I think thsoe are on both, but im not sure which was the better version. I also liked the XMEN 2 game on genesis. I like games like that. Like I said, I dont liek RPGs that much. I like Platformers, I like Mega man, I like mainly those Superhero games they had back than, where your jumping on the different 2d paltforms and shooting baddies.
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By agentboolen

My biggest question to you is how are you going to get these games??  Seems like a waste to go nuts and try hunting these down.  I don't want to recommend emulation but did you check out emulation   ;)

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I still have my SNES hooked up, and it gets tons of use.  We have all the Mario games, Super Metroid, FFIII, and F-Zero, and we play the hell out of 'em.  If you have any doubt on which system you want, play Street Fighter II on the SNES and on the Genesis.  That should settle the argument right then and there.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By subject2change
@agentboolen said:
" My biggest question to you is how are you going to get these games??  Seems like a waste to go nuts and try hunting these down.  I don't want to recommend emulation but did you check out emulation   ;) "
ebay?

I had a Genesis. And just bought Sonic Collection for the PS3 which will be here in a few days. however both systems have great games on it and if you are not getting either for nostalgia reasons you probably wont enjoy it.
PsychedelicET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PsychedelicET
@Raven_Sword said:
" Well, for example I was big on thsoe Disney games that came out. Like the Aladdin game adn lion king game. I think thsoe are on both, but im not sure which was the better version. I also liked the XMEN 2 game on genesis. I like games like that. Like I said, I dont liek RPGs that much. I like Platformers, I like Mega man, I like mainly those Superhero games they had back than, where your jumping on the different 2d paltforms and shooting baddies. "
If I remember correctly the SNES versions of all the Disney games back then were better than their Genesis counterparts.  Also, a bunch of Mega Man games are only on the SNES.  In addition, most arcade ports were better on the SNES as well, technically and control-wise.  Again this is coming from a guy who owned the Genesis first and loved it as a kid, but always envied the SNES' superior tech.  The Street Fighter 2 example cited already is a great example of this.
subrandom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By subrandom

BOTH
 BOTH
 BOTH
 BOTH
 BOTH

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

Aim to experience what you didn't before, look at the catalogues and do some research, and make a decision based on how attainable those good games are. 

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ravensword

Ill jsut see waht games the place has. Theres like two places that sell msotly old games. I know one both has the Spiderman game with carnage on the cover for the SNES.  
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By Atlas

Do people really still buy and use a SNES or Genesis? I can see the appeal for collector's purposes, but to actually use everyday, it just sounds strange to me. So make sure you know you're going to use it, or can get some other kind of value out of it. Sure, 30-40 is not a lot of money, but if you use that console twice in 5 years and sell it for 10-20, then that'll be money wasted.

You can buy the Ultimate Genesis Collection for like 20-30 now and that has achievements, rare games, extras and use for modern controllers. My advice would be go with that.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK
@Raven_Sword:
Yes Maximum carnage!  That game was the shit.  You want a beat em up, thats it, and it is better on the SNES.  Yes get the SNES.  Both had great games but at the end of the day, the quality of the games is unsurpassed on the SNES.  For the Genesis, the exclusives from Sega are great but those can wait.
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By vaiz

Just remember-- Genesis does what Nintendon't.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By RichardLOlson
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By JJOR64

SNES hands down.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Jimbo

When did SNES and 'Genesis' get so expensive?!  I bet you could beg/steal/borrow one for way less (nothing) if you ask around.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

Why not both?

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By agentboolen
@Subject2Change said:
" @agentboolen said:
" My biggest question to you is how are you going to get these games??  Seems like a waste to go nuts and try hunting these down.  I don't want to recommend emulation but did you check out emulation   ;) "
ebay?  I had a Genesis. And just bought Sonic Collection for the PS3 which will be here in a few days. however both systems have great games on it and if you are not getting either for nostalgia reasons you probably wont enjoy it. "
Yea I know ebay works, but why spend the money.  I don't know I guess some want this stuff to own but doesn't the battery that backup the save file in the game die? I think I have heard of this, so what good is a SNES game cartridge if it can't save??
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Daryl

Waste of time. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Back to the good old days of the console wars :)

The Genesis had some really great games, but if you can only get one, personally I'd go with the SNES.  And for those calling it a waste of time...  It's infinitly better value and entertainment playing these old games on the original systems, the way they were supposed to be played, instead of buying them on the virtual console and paying ridiculous prices for shoddy emulations.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By sjschmidt93

SNES hands down. 

Or just stick to Virtual Console.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PureRok

If you can afford it get both. The Genesis has some really good games, but the SNES has more good games than the Genesis (overall).

I have a SNES and a Genesis sitting right next to each other right now in my room.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#28  Edited By JackiJinx

Mate, you need an SNES in your life. It's the only console that knows how to treat a person right.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fallen189

It won't be long before you realise it isn't the SNES you grew up with.

It won't be the same son.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By eclipsesis

how about you get both, you are allowed to own more than one console

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fuzzyponken

I'd go with SNES. Just remember the games will look like shit on your new TV. You need one of them old 4:3 CRT's with the bulgy screens for it to look right. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Raven_Sword said:
"Ill jsut see waht games the place has. Theres like two places that sell msotly old games. I know one both has the Spiderman game with carnage on the cover for the SNES.   "
Dude. Maximum Carnage. Greatest Spider-Man video game ever. To this day I catch myself humming bits from the soundtrack. 

Obviously, you want a contingency plan if the system(s) are inoperable. Make sure they work before buying them. At the end of the day, though, you're probably going to want to go with the SNES. The Genesis is a fantastic piece of hardware, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't have as many quality games as its Nintendo counterpart.
Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Plays your favorite SNES and NES games and is only around $50.
 Plays your favorite SNES and NES games and is only around $50.
This is what i'd get.