Those flimsy 360 cases

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By TheMasterDS
We all know those fucking cases. On one hand their nicer to the environment, on the other they don't protect the disc at all, made presumably so that when you go to throw away the game you just payed 60 bones for, you're good to go. Because I'm always throwing away the shit I pay money for! 

Anyway, thing is 5, 6 months ago this was, far as I know, a victimless change. But recently my copy of L4D2, which I treat with nothing but care, cracked itself. It's cost me 20$ to get EA to replace it, and if it doesn't arrive back soon I'll miss the launch of the Passing DLC. A temporary issue sure, but what game is next though? Will I put in Brutal Legend one day to find it's broken? Will I decide to start up Assassin's Creed 2 to discover its in two pieces? Microsoft shouldn't get away with this shit. 

Anyone else have any games break on them thanks to the environment, or else worried for their games? 

Edit: Let me clarify how it broke for those who might not read me later saying so. From what I can tell, it came out of the case bad, with that dumb release mechanism not releasing properly, causing a crack on the inside of the disc, going up into the data. It's not cracked in half literally, but it doesn't have to be. The small crack renders it virtually unplayable. 
droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By droop

That's why I love Steam and downloaded games. But man that sucks :/ I've not seen any of the new cases yet, but they sure seem stupid.

I've only had games break inside the Xbox because I was stupid enough to move it while the disc was spinning.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By bhhawks78

Honestly if you broke a game or that case I'm surprised you have the manual dexterity to use a controller.

There is zero wrong with the cases unless you are a fool who steps on them or have a club for a hand (no offense if you literally do but I mean it)

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Bionicicide

I bought a pack of jewel cases and just decided to put my discs in there and store the original cases in a box until I sell them. Eco-backfire.

We should just revert to PS1's format for all optical discs.

No Caption Provided
Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sanryd

I know there will be people who just tell you to take better care of them and this won't happen, but I completely agree. I feel like it's a very small annoyance, but when things go the way they did for you, it starts to become a bigger problem. Do we pay any less for the games? Are they $55 instead of $60? No. Therefore, I want my solid cases!

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob
@TheMasterDS said:
" We all know those fucking cases. "
Actually- no. I don't. 

I've never seen that weird looking box in my life. My copies of L4D2 and AC2 are perfectly normal. I guess they must only in the US.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe

Don't really have a problem with the cases. Saves plastic and I rarely do anything with the cases other than leave them on a shelf.

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Terry_Bogard
@Bionicicide:  Jewel cases constantly crack though =\
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep my cases safe on a shelf, but still, let me finish the topic title, "Those flimsy 360 cases are completely fucking dumb".

owenneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By owenneil

I don't get how this "helps the  environment" at all. why not just make the cases out of recycled plastic instead of just giving us less of it? or at least drop the game price some! they are saving money using less, yet we don't get any of that. Blu-ray is doing it now also.

xync4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By xync4

I've seen this on a bargain bin DVD 
but on a new full priced game? 
I'd be a bit peeved.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bhhawks78

Jeeze more people with club hands than I realized.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jack268

They could have removed the plastic on the manual side of the box. It wouldn't do damage there. 

But I'll say the truth: I haven't seen any case like that so far. 

I suppose we might have to buy steel cases only from now on >_>

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I have wait...70+ 360 games and None of the causes have broken my games, none of the cases have broke because of weakness *a few are broke because of them being packed wrong when shipped* so I don't see the problem.
As well none of my 360 games tend to fall out of the little spindle spoke thing...soo...

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bionicicide
@Terry_Bogard said:
" @Bionicicide:  Jewel cases constantly crack though =\ "
Yeah, it doesn't bend like poly does, but now there are poly jewel cases.
No Caption Provided
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Damien

These cases aren't 360 only.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#18  Edited By dudacles

I've yet to see any such case myself.

It doesn't seem that big a deal to me though. It certainly can't hurt the environment, and until I find that the cases do indeed cause the discs to crack, I'm not against it at all. Whether or not these companies want to actually help the environment or are simply doing something to smoothen their public image, at least they're doing something.

I'm all for it.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Belonpopo

I'm waiting for a PS3 fanboy to make an appearance in this thread.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By destruktive

uhm. I got a bunch of 360 games and never i have had the case crack

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

they are ugly to look at when taking a cd out. i think they should do something better like put less plastic on supporting side outside the ring.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ProfessorEss

I've never had any issues with them.
I can understand the possible eye-rolling over their motives and what not but I don't understand the "fail to protect your discs" argument.

Anyone who accidentally snaps a disk in half while opening one should really just learn to be a little more gentle.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By JokerSmilez

I still don't understand how the case made your disc break. You didn't really say other than to say it "cracked itself". 

How is that the cases fault? How would a little bit more plastic protect your disc from breaking in half? What are you doing to your cases that you need such robust plastic to protect your discs?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheMasterDS
@JokerSmilez: I took it out one day and found a tiny little crack that rendered it virtually unplayable. It wasn't in pieces, but it didn't have to be.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Yeah the inside of my MW2 disc is starting to crack because of that case. It still works, but if all my discs start to do this then theres going to be problems.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMasterDS
@wasteguru: That's exactly what happened to my L4D2. Expect Textures and shit to go wonky one day.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

I don't see how this hurts a disc at all. I have a few games with this type of case (Dragon Age being the first one I got back when i came out) and the disc is flawless. It really comes down to the person and how they handle their discs.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
@Bionicicide said:
" I bought a pack of jewel cases and just decided to put my discs in there and store the original cases in a box until I sell them. Eco-backfire.

No Caption Provided
"
Agreed, they use less plastic than the current cases and don't waste so much space. Plus they don't look as weird without a manual.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@DarkGamerOO7 said:
" @Bionicicide said:
" I bought a pack of jewel cases and just decided to put my discs in there and store the original cases in a box until I sell them. Eco-backfire.

No Caption Provided
"
Agreed, they use less plastic than the current cases and don't waste so much space. Plus they don't look as weird without a manual. "
Actually the plastic in Ps1 jewel cases is a Different make and from how I understand it is not nearly as recyclable as current ps3, 360 and Wii cases.
ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By ColinWright

I bought a bulk pack of like 25 empty cases a while back. Just switching all of my new games into those cases. 

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Those cases look retarded, they should have removed plastic on the other side of the box, or made it shorter or whatever

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32  Edited By the8bitNacho

Sounds like you just need to take better care of your games to be honest. 

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheMasterDS

Huh, apparently the cases are 20 dollars for 50 of them. Really shady if this is to reduce the price they pay by less than a dollar per unit. Also, at that price I can't help but wonder if part of it is a thing where it's built to last until the warranty expires.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Tordah

Damn, that really sucks. If these new eco-friendly cases are as crappy as they seem then I guess I'll have to start buying extra cases. I'd hate to get a game disc scratched or worse just because of some dumb case.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bionicicide
@TheMasterDS said:
" Huh, apparently the cases are 20 dollars for 50 of them. Really shady if this is to reduce the price they pay by less than a dollar per unit. Also, at that price I can't help but wonder if part of it is a thing where it's built to last until the warranty expires. "
It has more to do with keeping shipping costs down.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandsomeDead

Those cases are bizarre. I understand cutting down on the packaging but surely the whole point of a case is for it to store and protect the disc?