Tis a fine barn, but sure 'tis no pool, English

akillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By akillen

Simpsons' quote.  For those who are confused.  From when the Simpsons accidentally construct a barn from their new pool kit. 

Its what comes to mind when I see genre switching reboots.  The current offender being X-Com.  Now I am not saying they are making a bad game.  I know only what I have heard opined on podcast and read on sites, but still, it seems like they are making a barn. 

Fallout 3 is the other obvious example and is one of it being down well.  I played the original two for god knows how many hours and was very suspicious of the change but in the end, enjoyed the final result immensely.  Bethesda captured much of what made the originals so great. 

But there is a reason we love the originals, and I am not convinced that changing the perspective and making something real time makes it more immersive or inheritily   a better game.  It may make it easier to sell, which is the likely reason this happens.

I guess what I am saying is that I really, really want a pool, but hey, nothing wrong with a barn I suppose.

akillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By akillen

Simpsons' quote.  For those who are confused.  From when the Simpsons accidentally construct a barn from their new pool kit. 

Its what comes to mind when I see genre switching reboots.  The current offender being X-Com.  Now I am not saying they are making a bad game.  I know only what I have heard opined on podcast and read on sites, but still, it seems like they are making a barn. 

Fallout 3 is the other obvious example and is one of it being down well.  I played the original two for god knows how many hours and was very suspicious of the change but in the end, enjoyed the final result immensely.  Bethesda captured much of what made the originals so great. 

But there is a reason we love the originals, and I am not convinced that changing the perspective and making something real time makes it more immersive or inheritily   a better game.  It may make it easier to sell, which is the likely reason this happens.

I guess what I am saying is that I really, really want a pool, but hey, nothing wrong with a barn I suppose.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Dalai

Metroid switching from 2D exploration to a 3D shooter in Prime is probably the example that comes to mind for me. In fact, it may be the "prime" example. 

D'oheth!

akillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By akillen

True, but metroid just changed perspective.  It was still essentially the same game.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By manhattan_project
@akillen: That type of game wouldn't work anymore. Its as simple as that.
Lebowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lebowski

I like what metroid and castlevania did with their franchises. In addition to the 3d metroids, there were the old school 2d handheld games for Gameboy Advance. Castlevania was the same way, though the quality of their 3d offerings were questionable. I think if you're going to do a major change to a series, offer the veteran fans something else that doesn't stray too far from the original design. Offer customers a barn and a pool.

But hey, that's just me.

akillen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By akillen
@Manhattan_Project: I am not so sure about that.  The Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgeia series both seem to do pretty well, and while there are differences, they are at very least related.   Peace Walker seems to be selling decent and it has a lot of the elements that made the old XComs great.  In fact I would argue that a lot of elements from the old tactical squad games have made their way into modern games.  I just hope someone puts them all back together again.