TV for next console generation

archimedes83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thinking about picking up the LG 65 inch CX series from this year. (LG OLED65CXPUA).

Seems like this series has the refresh rate needed to keep up with the next console generation.

Is anyone else buying a TV prior to the consoles shipping?

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I entertained the idea, but I just got one a few years ago(Samsung QLED).

Not as nice as the LG OLEDs but still very nice. I thought about replacing it and moving the Samsung to my secondary room but I plan on moving in the next 6-9 months so, the idea of moving TWO expensive thin tvs was NOT appealing hahaha.

If I did get one though, that is absolutely the one I would go with, solid choice.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Good choice. I have the C9 from 2019, which has HDMI 2.1 ports, so I'm hoping it will give me 4K@120. Haven't been able to find anything that says otherwise since no seems to be able to test it.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dsjwetrwete

I just bought a CX and have no real problems with it except for dead pixels. (Which honestly are driving me crazy) And I'll be honest, as someone who primarily games with a controller the higher refresh rates and resolution don't mean much to me in practice. 1080/1440 60fps with gsync works well enough.

And if you already have a nice LCD, OLED isn't THAT big of a jump unless you watch a A LOT of movies. Grey, black, you kind of forget about it after a month.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm waiting a 14-18 months after the new consoles arrive before I think about buying a new TV. This may not be necessary, but I would rather see what Sony's and Microsoft's console can really do & how they do it before buying new equipment.

Like I said, this waiting may be TOTALLY unnecessary, but I have a very nice 55" 4K tv from 2016. So, waiting is within my means to do - the game swill look find on my very nice tv.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

We actually bought a new LG about a month ago for this exact purpose. We went with the LG55CXPUA and it's gorgeous. We had been on a 1080p TV for the last six years so the upgrade was super noticeable. The upscaling has actually been pretty good while watching some older shows too (The West Wing looked great on it). It's been great watching the 4k content too so I can't wait for a new console that'll pump that out too. I've got a release day PS4 and those games look great on it too.

All the specs seem to indicate that it'll be all set for the new consoles. No complaints from me so far.

mrcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah we are buying a new TV as well. Probably the 65 inch Samsung Q90t. I would like an OLED but I just can't deal with the risk of burn in. "You just have to be careful with what you watch" is not for me. The TV works for ME, not the other way aronud.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@archimedes83: Do some research on the apps the tv can play. My folks bought an LG recently and it doesn't run a few streaming services due to not having the software license to run them. Its really dumb.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archimedes83: Do some research on the apps the tv can play. My folks bought an LG recently and it doesn't run a few streaming services due to not having the software license to run them. Its really dumb.

You mean the TV itself doesn't have apps for them. Doesn't matter if you're using Xbox/PS/Apple TV/whatever for streaming.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:
@rebel_scum said:

You mean the TV itself doesn't have apps for them. Doesn't matter if you're using Xbox/PS/Apple TV/whatever for streaming.

IIRC it was an app I downloaded from the app store and it wouldn't run. My folks don't have a console lol so dunno if thats a workaround. But still pretty shitty that a "smart" tv doesn't run apps because they don't support HTML/Flash or whatever.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By isomeri

@rebel_scum: The app support on my LG C9 has been great so far. It's got all the usual suspects like Netflix, YouTube, Disney+ etc. as well as regional apps like Yle Areena and Ruutu. There's also a pretty good app for Giant Bomb videos called ChewieBomb.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony XBR55X900H is a good option that I should of went with just because now I'm paranoid that ill burn in the oled that chose instead.

Briten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doerr007: I have a second generation 55 inch LG Oled and a 4th Generation 4k 55 inch LG Oled. I play games on both, even games with static elements like speedometers and hud elements and I have never experienced burn in.

The newer LG Oleds have a pixel shifter that you can turn on prevent burn in and another feature that can "clean your screen" to eliminate minor burn in.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@briten: yeah ive run screen refresh like once a month

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I went with the real basic TCL 6-series. It has all the components and high ratings you’d want from places that would know, and as somebody who mostly played PS3 on a CRT and PS 4 on a 720p screen this is the most contemporary with modern standards I’ve ever been and that’s enough for me.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dsjwetrwete

@doerr007: Some makers like Sony don't recommend you do the manual refresh regularly because it *will/might* shorten the lifespan of the panel each time. (Although someone mentioned RTINGS.com using the manual refresh in their burn-in tests without any noticeable brightness degradation) https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/ag1a9r/what_does_pixel_refresher_actually_do/ee2wdq5?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I've only done the manual refresh once to try and wake up some dead pixels (didn't work).

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

21:9 TVs when?

'Kay seriously. When shit normalizes and I'm able to move out again, I'll take a looksie at what TVs can do these days that would be a good fit for a PS5 and an HTPC.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: 21:9 tvs was a thing for a bit because I wanted one but now seems no one makes them anymore.

Theresonlyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd go with any HDMI 2.1 equipped OLED, most current LGs offer this. You want to look for good HDR support and adaptive vsync they also go up to 120hz frame rate.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: my TV died this week and i also ordered the TCL 6 series. $700 was my ceiling for a replacement set so here’s hoping it’s good!

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to derail this discussion but how focused should we really be on consoles hitting 100fps? Technically, the PS3 could do 1080p60 right? But how many games were even 1080p let alone even close to 60hz?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: From what it sounds like (at least with Spider-Man Miles Morales) we'll get a performance and quality mode. So yea, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to see 75-120fps on these boxes. Though those titles will probably not be rendering internally at 4k. So hopefully whatever secret sauce AMD has is on par with DLSS 2.0

What Control does with the DLSS 2.0 is just, well ya gotta see it to believe it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIKzRhYZm4