Valve is Overrated

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By pause422
Lunarbunny said:
"Why does a picky community matter for the quality of a game? So somebody can do their favorite tactic on a certain map...yet they don't care about level flow or balance? What happened to understanding a map's strengths and weaknesses and adapting oneself to them?

Basically all you've proven is that the Halo community is made up of a bunch of whiners."
Couldn't of said it any better. Further more, you keep arguing that bungie's map design is so amazing, and valve's isn't, then you immediately say, the community bitches and complains about the smallest thing regarding maps or weapons. So the Halo community is extremely whiny bitches, or Bungies maps aren't actually that great, hence why the community debates the smallest things on them.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By Rowr

I would just like to say, the added weapons and achievements totally screwed TF2 to begin with. Joining servers with 8 pyros on each team.

Seems fine of recent tho.

but anyway......what were we talking about again?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
pause422 said:
"Lunarbunny said:
"Why does a picky community matter for the quality of a game? So somebody can do their favorite tactic on a certain map...yet they don't care about level flow or balance? What happened to understanding a map's strengths and weaknesses and adapting oneself to them?

Basically all you've proven is that the Halo community is made up of a bunch of whiners."
Couldn't of said it any better. Further more, you keep arguing that bungie's map design is so amazing, and valve's isn't, then you immediately say, the community bitches and complains about the smallest thing regarding maps or weapons. So the Halo community is extremely whiny bitches, or Bungies maps aren't actually that great, hence why the community debates the smallest things on them."
Can you not hoenstly get what I'm saying?

It's called Valve's maps are thrown together (hence they can just throw a weapon in).  Bungie's aren't. 
Why do you try to spin everything? 

Do you even play Halo?   I certainly play it and TF2.  And I play both quite a bit
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
"TF2's maps are basically thrown together by comparison."
Revealing once again that you have as much of an idea about what you are talking about as CrunchUK does when he speaks about anything.

(Hint: none)
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#105  Edited By Black_Rose

Valve is overrated...i agree

Halo is better than any Valve prouct....god fucking no

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By Lunarbunny

They can "just throw a weapon in" as you put it because, for 1, they don't just throw it in. That would imply that they don't consider any of its effects on balance. Just throwing something in would be giving the Sniper an unlockable sniper rifle that doesn't require charging, for example. For 2, TF2 is a class-based game. You start with your weapons, the game is not based around finding weapons in the maps. Therefore weapon placement is inconsequential.

I've already stated examples of why Valve doesn't just "throw" its maps together. I'll give you key words again: flow (including z-axis fighting and flanking) and balance.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Rowr

ive extensively played both games.

The maps of each are more or less as good as each other. Though i think yes, the halo ones are more tightly put together. TF2 maps are generally fought on a larger scale tho.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By crunchUK
Jayge said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"TF2's maps are basically thrown together by comparison."
Revealing once again that you have as much of an idea about what you are talking about as CrunchUK does when he speaks about anything.

(Hint: none)
you're one to be talking

you're here bashing halos maps and you're a level 7 sargeant

let me know when you reach level 10, then i can tell you to reach 40 before your opinion on halos gameplay is no longermeaningless, baseless crap
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Lunarbunny said:
"They can "just throw a weapon in" as you put it because, for 1, they don't just throw it in. That would imply that they don't consider any of its effects on balance. Just throwing something in would be giving the Sniper an unlockable sniper rifle that doesn't require charging, for example. For 2, TF2 is a class-based game. You start with your weapons, the game is not based around finding weapons in the maps. Therefore weapon placement is inconsequential.

I've already stated examples of why Valve doesn't just "throw" its maps together. I'll give you key words again: flow (including z-axis fighting and flanking) and balance."
I said by comparison, remember. 
It was that Bungie balances their maps and weapons much more.  You're, again, spinnning this off topic.

And Z-Axis is something that makes up a major play in Halo.  Lockout lives on this
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Rowr

yeh...so....er....

Valve is overrated?

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Lunarbunny

I did imply that z-axis had been introduced more thoroughly in 2/3. Obviously you don't remember any of my earlier posts though.

And if you're thinking this is off topic, you were the one who decided it would be a good idea to praise Bungie/Halo in the final paragraph of your original post.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
"It was that Bungie balances their maps and weapons much more.  You're, again, spinnning this off topic."
They most definitely do not.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By crunchUK
Jayge said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"It was that Bungie balances their maps and weapons much more.  You're, again, spinnning this off topic."
They most definitely do not."
except of course you can't explain how, because you have no idea as to what you're talking about
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Rowr

Valve = PC.

Halo = Console.

Its pretty much as simple as that?

They are almost entirely different things, although they both fall into the fps genre.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Lunarbunny said:
"I did imply that z-axis had been introduced more thoroughly in 2/3. Obviously you don't remember any of my earlier posts though.

And if you're thinking this is off topic, you were the one who decided it would be a good idea to praise Bungie/Halo in the final paragraph of your original post."
It wasn't about the actual game though, it was about how much content that pack into it.  My main point was that Valve makes incomplete games basically. 
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Lunarbunny said:
"I did imply that z-axis had been introduced more thoroughly in 2/3. Obviously you don't remember any of my earlier posts though.

And if you're thinking this is off topic, you were the one who decided it would be a good idea to praise Bungie/Halo in the final paragraph of your original post."
It wasn't about the actual game though, it was about how much content that pack into it.  My main point was that Valve makes incomplete games basically. 

Why I used Bungie is because, especially with Halo 3, they seemed to have packed an outrageous number of content in here.
Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Maru

hmm I don't think Valve is overrated ( they have not relased a crappy game yet ) but thats just my opnion.

Left 4 Dead is meant to be played at advanced or expert level, it has only 4 maps now but they are well polished and detatiled, not to mention we will be receiveing free updates, mods, user made maps etc... just give some time.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#118  Edited By mracoon

I don't think they're overrated at all. They've earnt all the good things people say about them by consistently producing innovative, enjoyable and most importantly FUN games. Every Valve game I've played I've had a great time playing which is all I really want in a game. Also Steam is the best digital download service for games by miles and Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo should all follow in Valve's example.

jamien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By jamien

The claim that Left 4 Dead is only a 4 hour game is absurd. Ridiculous. Insane. And with all the free updates Valve is going to put out (and is still putting out for Team Fortress 2), it's only going to lengthen the life of the game.

And Steam's really come around since the less-than-impressive start.
chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#120  Edited By chililili

I do feel that valve is overrated but this topic appears to have been derailed. L4D was too expensive, and should have been packed in another orange box-esque or just released through steam for 30-20 dollars.

Other than that my only beef with valve is that they do not follow up on anything they make in the console, no patches, fixes or free content. And that sucks. Then they mouth off consoles in general, I feel like I would simply have a higher opinion of them if they just sticked to releasing PC only stuff and making that great. Because Valve's games are essentially very small but very polished like TF2 which was released with few maps, and has had stuff added to it. They are a solid company but again are elevated to a godlike status even above blizzard, which I consider a better PC company, that releases better far more complete games that are worth their price tag and more. Also you so did not the WoW expansions to L4D, are you even aware how many damn hours a single WoW expansion adds to the game, variety, bosses, etc. Its more than many MMORPGs have in their entire world.

HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By HelixSnake

ಠ_ಠ

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#122  Edited By BlackWaterCO

saw HL2 refferred to as average

Made me wanna stomp a baby

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
chililili said:
 Also you so did not the WoW expansions to L4D, are you even aware how many damn hours a single WoW expansion adds to the game, variety, bosses, etc. Its more than many MMORPGs have in their entire world."

I don't understand.  And I didn't talk bad about WOW, I think it's a good game.  I don't personally like it, sort of boring for me as for RPGs I like those more story driven emotionally tied ones, but I don't think its a bad game. 

And don't get too hung up on hours like that.  it's quality hours that matter.  Sure, a few hours is awful, but once it gets to 60 + its all fine I say. Because then I find that they are including lengtheners to the game.  personally, I don't see how a 3 hour raid is so fun and I few that as fluffed hours.  You may love that however.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#124  Edited By Red

Alright. You don't like Valve's games. Go ahead, complain about how Left 4 Dead doesn't have enough scenarios. Everything else you said is pointless.

Oh, and, some people like Valve for steam. Anything that FORCES everything to be %10 or more off is insane.
Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Sushbag
SmugDarkLoser said:
"And either way, they don't provide enough content in most every game they make, so this is irrelevant. "
I'm going to repeat what I said earlier, maybe you didn't let it sink in the first time. It's really the only way to reply to someone like this.

You don't understand gaming, you don't understand Valve and you obviously don't understand that you should douse yourself in gasoline, set yourself ablaze, and jump into the path of some sort of large, high-speed object, like oncoming traffic, a train, or Gabe Newell when he sees a KFC. You stupid faggot.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Absurd

I command thee Moderator to Lock thy Thread.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#127  Edited By Hamz

Here is how discussion should work. Someone posts an opinion, others provide their opinion on the original opinion posted. If you can't discuss and debate in a civil manner and have to respond with name calling, flaming and general trolling then do not take part in the discussion in the first place.

And for the record my opinion stands at....

Valve = best PC developer
Valve > Bungie
Half Life / Team Fortress 2 > Halo

Anyone who disagrees with me locking this topic may send a complaint to my inbox where I will gladly reply. Otherwise.....

L
O
C
K
E
D