What did you guys think of the new show?

• 184 results
Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll What did you guys think of the new show? (514 votes)

Loved it! 16%
Liked it 31%
Good, but needs work 34%
Not really my thing. 19%

And how did the Gamespot staff being on the show effect your enjoyment of it? Both positively and/or negatively?

• 
Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#151  Edited By Darji

I do not want that this site to make games look stupid and ridiculous in 2-3 minute segments. That is why I love these quicklooks so much. Even the Naruto Ultimate Storm game which is actually pretty good was presented in a terrible way. And I thought that was a thing GB would never do...

As for the gamespot guys: I do not really care about them but they really should relax more. As for Carolyn. I think it would have been much better if she did not make the whole gaming internet her enemy by writing this very very stupid "Persona 4 is anti gay" article.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

For people saying the GS folk need more camera time, you guys know that Giant Bomb is not the only site with video features right? I'm sure they have plenty of camera time already.

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I went back, and watched the rest of the show. I originally jumped out of the stream rather quickly.

You can't cater to the minority, but listening to a bunch of people rag on shit you like is never fun.

I love anime, and think Naruto is at least okay. Didn't dig the show, mainly because the total shitting on anime in the beginning turned me off.

Second opinion after watching the whole thing? Some funny pieces, but overshadowed by the rushed segments, and the overlying fear of Gamespot taking over Giantbomb.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loved it, I found it funny and enjoyed the twinge of awkwardness between the two sites. I also like having the shorter quick looks so it was pretty cool.

fauxical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was great and I loved seeing the opinions of other editors mix with the ones from Giant Bomb. I seriously hope they can move this show into something more fantastic in the future to come.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't really see the point of them covering a bunch of games that they've already covered a bunch in a segment that's supposed to be showing us what's new. I mean, sure these games are new, but everyone and their mother knows about tomb raider, sim city, some baseball game etc etc. At least show off some smaller games that people might not know about.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#157  Edited By eccentrix

I'd rather have a good premium stream. I'm someone who watches Jeff and Ryan drive home when I get the chance, but I'll probably be skipping this.

Giant Bomb is the only video game website I come to, and the only one I've ever been a fan of, because of the personalities. Having some other people run half a stream doesn't do anything for me. I'll have to see some confirmation that they've taken some of these comments on board before I watch again, but I guess if they change my main problem with it, there would be no show.

Also, I agree that the Rap Room was funniest and best when it was Patrick talking to himself.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay:

-I like the idea of the show
-I don't really care about the GS guys, they seem alright and all but they are also boring and uninteresting
-Playing games for such a short period of time helps nobody
-I'm slightly worried that some QLs will be "canceled" and just stuffed into this show. I always enjoyed the QL of weird games (like that rollercoaster game f.e.) and I hope they will continue to do them and not just say: "Here, look at this boring dude trying to play this game for 2 minutes. Done!". But I'm also optimistic that this wont happen, they are too smart to do something like this. Also this would mean a lot less content because instead of spreading it over the week it would be all on this day, so I don't think we'll see that
-As for all the people claiming "This is the first step to merge GS and GB" I kinda unterstand where they are coming from, but I also don't think that this is any indicator for anything. What is kinda weird though, is that this video is not available (yet?) on GS which makes me wonder, cause obviously that would be the place where all the...fans (I guess) of all the .......erm awesome, super interesting and funny GS people are.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#159  Edited By Dagbiker

It was cool, I would much rather a show about the games they didnt cover at all, and cut everything else. So instead of having 2 hours, and spending an hour on 10 games, half of which you already have content for, you would spend 2 hours on 5 games, all of which you have no content on. And

JCrichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I liked it. It's something new, it's more of the GB crew and the Gamespot guys are cool so it's win/win and just like other things on the site they will just get better

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#161  Edited By Humanity

@thevideohustler: I didn't mind the Gamespot guys at all and in fact find it kind refreshing to see some different people once in a while working in the same industry (I don't go to any other sites apart from GB) but a lot of it was kinda too all over the place like "hey ok what are we doing huh well uhh.. back to you Ryan??" A tiny bit more prep would be nice as the comedy of playing a game you have no idea about is really hit or miss. I skipped all the sport game segments.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

It's good to have the staff from another site present. But I had to stop watching half way through before the stream kept cutting out. Got too annoying.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it's a bit redundant. Why bother setting up all of the equipment and record all of this footage if they aren't going to be Quicklooks? Even the quicklooks have more depth than what we were seeing presented for the new games.

As a retrospective for Tomb Raider, it was VERY nice to hear a second opinion from Carolyn, she knows her shit and can explain her points better than Brad can.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#165  Edited By Nodima

(swiped from another thread on the show)

I liked it, the main point of that show appears to be A) highlighting new stuff and B) highlighting ALL the new stuff. Gamespot is more of a "let's review all of that" sort of website, so it makes sense for them to come in one stuff like Naruto. Their other shows don't serve that specific purpose of showing us (most) everything that's immediate and now, so I really dig the idea.

That said, they've got the power of two entire companies and they still can't find anyone that knows how to play sports games? I feel like I'm in such an awkward, unsupported ghetto of the Giantbomb community where sports video games are the most interesting genre niche to me and yet the only satisfaction I can get from the coverage of those games is seeing how laymen might approach NBA 2K's daunting interface.

I just don't see Patrick ever logging into, I don't know, Tomb Raider and then jsut running around screaming "I don't know anything about raiding tombs!" while skipping all the tutorials and then screaming again "I don't know anything about shooting arrows!" To answer a question in one of the earlier posts...no, we didn't need two baseball games. But only because Giantbomb (and apparently Gamespot's) summary of knowledge of the games seems to come from the headlines of Owen Good's articles. It can be depressing, and as a sports gamer it's certainly not entertaining (unless, as mentioned before, I'm seeing how a non-sports gamer might struggle to learn one).

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of fail to see the point of it. Is it meant to be super-short, five minute quick looks? Because that seems entirely useless. It gives you no sense of what the game is about, how well it controls and so on. We saw Brad playing one small room in the Vergil DLC for a few minutes, which tells me nothing if it's worth buying. If that isn't the point of the show then.. what is? I like watching the crew just banter and so on as much as the next guy but it all felt kind of aimless to me.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

- Finally, bring in those new personalities slowly, and in fewer numbers. Give the audience time to get to know them. By having fewer games for a longer amount of time, you can also reduce the running around. Keeping the show on the couch, with just one special game in the Wrap Room lets it be a fun talk with this new person and not shouting chaos. So maybe have the usual GB crew and 1 or 2 Gamespot members would drop-in for segments.

Okay, whew. I'm done. That was a lot of writing, but I only write because I care. I love the site and am glad to be a member because of good discussions like this. Again, sorry to the members for the wall of text, but I hope it spurs some positive discussion/critique to keep building a better Giant Bomb.

I feel like if they gave the "games we haven't played" room the focus of just two games that person played in one hour stretches, they'd better simulate/showcase what it's like to be a first-time user of those games. They could show the first few minutes of the game, let that person play and figure it out, then come back to them at the end of the hour to find out how much they've learned and use that segment as a transition between consoles/games in the primary room.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I said in the comments I just don't know who this stream was for. The people who visit these sites day in day out already know what games are coming out, and what is the casual audience going to get from an uninformed five minute quick look?

I do like the idea of them doing a show with the GS guys though. But maybe make it a once a month thing. Get them all together and talk about / play their favourite games of the month. That would be way better.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By customotto

@mikeydct said:

Every time Carolyn was on camera the chat room will explode, I hate to sound rude but if chat going to act like that every time maybe Carolyn should be left out

To say people should be excluded because other people are being bigots is absurd. Don't do that.

yukeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By yukeake

Overall, it's a good concept, but it needs some time to cook.

The GiantBomb guys are all comfortable with each other, and generally very relaxed. The GameSpot folks came off like they were just trying too hard. If they tone it down just a little bit, it'll start to come together.

Pacing was an issue, but that'll even out as they get more used to the format, and what sorts of games work for what sorts of segments. With so little time for each game, things need to move a lot faster than the GiantBomb crew are used to.

The "Shrink Shack" was definitely a win, and was the high point of the show for me. Picking the people least likely to be familiar with the games just added to the hilarity. Game choice is going to be critical for this, though. Games that have a slow burn aren't going to work out well. They really need to pick titles that either have most/all of their cards on the table to start with (sports, fighting, etc...) or RPG/action ones that have *very* strong openings. Again, the time constraint gets in the way.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It was entertaining for the most part, reminded me of the early Happy Hour days.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#172  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I like that I can just skip past the games I don't want to see. The new perspective of the gamespot people is my favorite thing about it. I hope in the future they compare thoughts on a game they both have played. Like Brad and Carolyn discussing Tomb Raider.

dsi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm real damn disappoint that they didn't do ArmA3

Also Shrink Shack is amazing.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read entire thread. Still don't know what new show you are talking about.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Funkydupe

Maybe give the show a little bit more time, so that if a game doesn't start or something the schedule isn't completely thrown out of the window. There was a sense of rush throughout. But like I said earlier, I enjoyed seeing these people together, and next to the making fun of games, there was some good info as well. Oink Moo!

galloughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By galloughs

I think it was great. I've never checked out or even thought of Gamespot before, even when the bomb-crew worked there (I was a 1up man back then!). After seeing the show yesterday though, I'm definitely interested in seeing/reading/hearing more from them. I even went to their website for the first time today!

Shakey1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah: The dialogue between Carolyn and Brad about Tomb Raider was one of the best parts of the show for me. Perhaps not the funniest but certainly the most informative and interesting. Maybe that is what they should focus on in future and have whoever has played Game X from Giant Bomb and Gamespot discuss what they thought about the game, kind of like a Quick Look but without someone acting as a surrogate for the audience.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I though it was pretty good.There were some pretty cool moments during where I was able to see this thing really taking off. It was a little weird seeing the gamespot guys on the show but I will get used to it in time and that won't be a problem anymore.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shakey1245: Yep. A lot of good information around Tomb Raider.

Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By TheVideoHustler

It was horrible.

Like watching American Idol winners coming over to Led Zeppelin's house to jam with their equipment because their mutual managers said it was ok. Then Scott Mecreery picks up Vinny's axe and plays till a string breaks.

"Aww man, really sorry!" Seth said disingenuously.

But to be fair, we all knew there was a decent chance GB sold out when CBS bought them. CBS owns them and all good things come to an end. Maybe it's time to put away the T-shirts . . .

Loading Video...

Don't you fucking scare me like that.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

It's basically the old On The Spot show using a combination of Giant Bomb and Gamespot folks and a slightly more laissez faire production style. I loved it, I like seeing the GameSpot guys hanging with the Giant Bomb crowd. Definitely going to try and tune in every week.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#182  Edited By TepidShark

I think there is potential to be something pretty cool, but it obviously needs work. One suggestion I would make is for games that they actually knew something about they needed to spend a little bit more explaining what the game actually is, I felt they needed to do that more in the segments. Also, I am with Jeff on calling it "The Wrap Room."

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it for the most part. It had some issues with pacing but I'm sure that can be worked out in time. I don't mind the GS people being there though some of them could use some work when it comes to being on camera but, again, this is something that can come in time. Take a look at Brad's first camera appearance to see how far he's come.

It's disappointing, though unsurprising, to hear people were garbage during the Carolyn segments. I purposefully ignored chat during those for fear of that very situation.

My main concern are the overlap between this and quick looks and what will become of the show when fuck all is being released during the summer drought. Maybe fill it with something else on light release weeks?

Overall I plan to keep watching to see how it develops.

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 7

#184  Edited By MikeydCT

@funkasaurasrex:

@customotto: Is it fair for the few mods in the chat that has 2000+ chatters to time out each person which will just repeat it again the next time that person is on? If people can be banned in chat then let it be known that is a rule and start banning.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Bane122

@mikeydct said:

@customotto: Is it fair for the few mods in the chat that has 2000+ chatters to time out each person which will just repeat it again the next time that person is on? If people can be banned in chat then let it be known that is a rule and start banning.

That's what the mods are there for. To discriminate against someone to make their job easier is disgusting.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

For the first time this show ran, I think it went pretty damn smoothly. It definitely needs a few touches here and there but that's because they need to work out the kinks to make this a continuing thing!

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it. A bit rough, but it was very entertaining.

What I don't like is how there are some people in this community who are already calling a downfall of Giantbomb, blaming CBS for this, etc etc.Uh, what? I liked the show, it was entertaining. Didn't Jeff mention before it was his idea that they are trying out and seeing how it works? So from one experimental episode you can conclude that Giantbomb is heading down the drain? The show felt very much like Giantbomb.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

There is a bit of repetition with already quick-looked games. I don't mind the Gamespot staff, and they'll get more used to the format as this goes on.

Devinant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Devinant

I think it was "okay". They need to increase the time spent on a game and focus more on the personality of all the new people involved. It's sounds kind of dumb, but we need to get to know the GameSpot folks! :e

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That weren't no Kayo Police!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I hate the constant negativity of so many of the users here as of late (or maybe it's just that "vocal minority" thing), I have to agree that while it was perfectly fine, I fail to see the point besides cross-site advertising given that even Jeff was saying "hey, just go check out our quick looks of these games." I mean, you can have shorter quick looks if a game doesn't demand a whole lot of time, and you can include the Gamespot cast in them if you really want, but having this show and the quick look feature is redundant and thus the time spent on it could obviously be used for something better.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the fast-paced craziness of this show. They fully embraced the fact that they don't know anything and it was very close to amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It did seem like some of the Gamespot folk weren't very comfortable in front of a camera.

Also, Vinny should do a proper quicklook of the 3DS CV game with someone.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Give them another 2-3 shows and the gamespot guys will start to come out of their shells. Other than the occasional awkwardness it was pretty good.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch every original video GB produces, and I really enjoyed this show. It needs a bit more structure, and the Gamespot guys need to get more comfortable with the format, but it has a lot of potential. I like the idea of pairing up a GB and GS personality for each video, and I love Patrick stuck in that room. Also, I like that I have the chance to see games that don't warrant their own individual quick look.

Really, folks just want more content, and this is more content. The few GB fans that aren't already on board will come around.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@thevideohustler said:

@sweetz: Great comparison with Top Gear. I think that GB/GS stuff would end up being like American Top Gear. They tried to mix the jokes with more serious coverage. And, well. It's not very good.

it's not really a great comparison considering that GB doesn't have terrible people presenting it.

also I liked it, some low points but meh, better than TNT usually is.

low point includes the chat during the carolyn segments, obviously (I appreciate the mod team but even they couldn't stop all of it)

I didn't watch and I don't know who Carolyn is, but I'm assuming the chat went bonkers over a girl in a video game related show and got either incredibly sexist or incredibly over sexed and horny.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#197  Edited By CastroCasper

I enjoyed the show, and I had no problem with the GS crew coming in and voicing their opinions too. The only concern I had was that probably more weeks than not there would be just a dump of games that not many people care about, but if I have learned anything from previous quick looks is that the crew can make just about anything funny, if not hilarious.