What do you think makes a game re-playable?

bertmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By bertmasta

Now im not making this a poll because lets face it, there are so many opinions out there. 

For me it is mostly for the story. 
It has to be good enough that i want to experience it again and again, year after year. 
Games i will play lots of time's include: 

Persona 4 
FF9 
FF10 
Mass Effect 
Mass Effect 2 
Dragon Age  

What are some of yours as well? 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

The experience in itself. If it's awesome, it is worth repeating.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By icicle7x3

Jiggies, lots and lots of Jiggies.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Sin4profit

leveling up, creating a world where going back in means more fun loot, or The kind of "New Game +" that just breaks the game and makes it fun to blow through it.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Klei

I don't replay games for their story. Once i know the story, there's no reason for me to go through it again. To back up that fact ; if I ever replay a western RPG like ME2, i'll just fast forward the conversations. 

What makes a game replayable for me is the overall experience and gameplay. God of War, Alan Wake, Red Dead, Brutal Legend, Batman AA, the Resident Evils... and so on.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By armaan8014

Choices I guess? I don't actually replay games unless I lose the save games, but different choices allowing you to have a different experience than your first play through would make it more enjoyable.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By yoshimitz707

Nothing

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Bertmasta said:
"  Persona 4 FF9 FF10  "
The Japanese can't tell a story for shit. 

Apart from Kojima.
fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fearthephins

Games with a good story, fun game play and ones with choices (so that when you replay you just about get a new experience even if in the end it's the same game)

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arbie

Being able to develop your character after the story is over. A continuation of the story, maybe...I'm saying this because I was going to say achievements! But figured there was a reason I went back to AC2 after completing it. Other than that the only thing that will do it for me is nostalgia. I really enjoy replaying Zelda: OoT.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

Good gameplay.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Green_Incarnate

First it's probably the gameplay. If the game is fun to play, then I would most likely want to play it again. For example Jedi Academy. The story is shit, but fighting with lightsabers is fun as hell. Also no fight plays the same each time. Even if you reload a save something different can happen. So, something linear and also scripted like COD might not fair as well for a second play through. The second thing is how customizable the game is. Does the story have alternate paths e.g. Bioware games. How much can you change your character. That kind of stuff will make me play again as a different style character. 

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By galiant

The story is the main one for me. Also New Game+ features such as more leveling (if it's that kind of game), new weapons, new armor, if there are multiple endings or multiple scenarios, different ways to play like classes or a good/bad karma thing...

bertmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By bertmasta

oh also i would say that for me nostalgia for a game also helps the re-playability 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Galiant said:
" The story is the main one for me. Also New Game+ features such as more leveling (if it's that kind of game), new weapons, new armor, if there are multiple endings or multiple scenarios, different ways to play like classes or a good/bad karma thing... "
Yes. Exactly.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By ESREVER

The quest to improve on my current skill level. 
Games like Burnout Paradise and Super Meat Boy, where they make it easy and fun to try and improve your skill. 
Same goes for Mirror's Edge. 
That's why Platformers are my favorite genre. 
My opponent is my previous self. 

LittleBigPlanet's "Campaign" got a lot of play out of me. Beat the level,  collect all the goodies, now beat the level again, without dying. It's an added challenge the masochist in me just can't refuse.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By imsh_pl

1.Non-linear RPGs and dungeon crawlers. I want to play the game again, but differently. 
Perfect examples are Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain and, obviously, Mass Effect 1&2.
2.Games with awesome multiplayer. I just want to play it :) StarCraft II and Killzone 2/CoD 4 for me.
3.Games with collectibles and not so much focus on the story (let's say God of War and inFamous).

I don't really like replaying linear games (especially RPGs). I know, for example, that I'll propably never
want to play Persona 4 again ("This guy dies. That guy gots kidnapped. This person's the killer"), even
though along with StarCraft II it's the best fucking game I've ever played.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By raidingkvatch
@Bertmasta: Totally agree with you dude, story is the major factor for me in games, good story makes other less good qualities far easier to overlook. A great story, especially if you can change the way things go in each playthrough like in BioWare games, is what makes me play games again and again, which is certainly what I do with Mass Effect and I used to play both KotORs through fairly regularly, on my 4th Dragon Age run and 3rd on ME2.
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pezen

Variety. Sure, sometimes the story can be awesome enough, but I generally don't have time to re-play those games anyway.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The lack of flaws is what makes a game very replayable. Look at everything on gameranking's top 90% list, it stood the test of reviewers and time, I can replay those games over and over. It got to AAA 90% status because it doesn't have any flaws and it's like all strength. You will find games like lower than 80% to be not very replayable at all. That's my take on it anyways.  

I don't mind replaying half life 2 again.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By rjaylee  Online

Gameplay.

I still play NES versions of Contra and Tetris on long road trips because those games stand the test of time.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iam3green

new things in the game and different experiences. the only game i restarted this generation was resident evil 5. it was because of getting infinite ammo for different guns. it was fun to kill zombies again with a different weapon. i think that was really this generation that i did that.

PooffBallzZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PooffBallzZzZ

Story is a major factor, but its not everything.  I've gone back and beaten Metorid Prime for Nintendo Gamecube 3 times now, and I don't find much story in it.

I guess it was just for the fun and simple gameplay that comes from killing stuff and collecting things. 

So, what makes a game replayable for me is probably good, reliable gameplay, that doesn't get to overly repetitive.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperWristBands

I'm going to go with gameplay is important but I also love when a game gives me reason to play it more times. The best game I can think of that did this is the aforementioned Resident Evil 5. I played through all of that games modes. Also Lost Planet 2. Thats right! I find that game so addicting and there is almost always more things to unlock. Another game I played through three times was Tales of Vesperia. For a game that long, that is something I never do. I put over 200 hours into that game and I skipped the cutscenes as best I could by mashing the A button(there was no skip option). It was just that much fun to play.

CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaptainTryHard

For me it's a bit of everything layered on top of a large cake made up of leveling. A big scooping of customization ice cream fills me up (:

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jmfinamore
@ESREVER: Ugh, so true. I've been laying Super Meat Boy and have found myself not just trying to beat levels, but trying to beat them in the way I convince myself would be coolest/fastest. That means retrying levels I know I could beat if I just changed my strategy, but being too stubborn to do so. Man, good stuff.  

Not much, mostly nostalgia really. I rarely ever replay games anymore, so I usually only do it when I want to experience a game from my past. When I was younger, I would replay games a lot either for in-game rewards or to do stuff in creative ways if I really enjoyed the game (I remember doing really weird runs in 1080 so I could watch cool replays). 
tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#27  Edited By tearhead

I usually only replay a game if the narrative has different ways of playing out. My free time is limited, so I'd rather use it playing new games than stuff I've already finished.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#28  Edited By citizenkane

Good story, great gameplay, and a variety within the game.

darkwingduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By darkwingduck
@Green_Incarnate said:
" First it's probably the gameplay. If the game is fun to play, then I would most likely want to play it again. For example Jedi Academy. The story is shit, but fighting with lightsabers is fun as hell. Also no fight plays the same each time. Even if you reload a save something different can happen. So, something linear and also scripted like COD might not fair as well for a second play through. The second thing is how customizable the game is. Does the story have alternate paths e.g. Bioware games. How much can you change your character. That kind of stuff will make me play again as a different style character.  "
i didnt read on past this post since this one says it all
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Fun.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mordukai

F is for Fire that burns down this whole town 
U is for URANIUM...BOMS
N is for NO SURVIVOR when you're...

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's all about the gameplay for me. I love games that are relatively short but challenging. I'm creeping up on that achievement for beating Mega Man 9 thirty times...

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShadowKing7

New Game Plus helps a lot in that regard like with Ratchet & Clank or the Shin Megami Tensei games.  Trying to get better ranks on missions or parts adds replayability, like when I'm trying to S-rank missions in Devil May Cry 4. 

Mostly though, if I think a game is just awesome and really like it, I'll play through it a lot.
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By DoctorWelch

What makes a game re-playable is one of two things.

1. The game has to have something like Dragon Age where you can go back and have a completely different experience the second, third, or even fourth time and beyond 

or 

2. The game has to be one of those games that is sooo amazing that you can go back and beat it and still have an amazing experience. For example, I play Ocarina of Time every few years because it's still such an amazing game, and one of my favorites. 

Other than that I dont really see there being much other reason to replay games unless you dont have the money to get new ones. Most of the time I will beat a great single player game like Uncharted 2 and then never play it again unless I go back years later to play it. Keep in mind I'm not really considering any multiplayer part of a game, only the single player.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Example1013

The experience. I mean experiencing the game over again. That means gameplay, story, etc. all rolled up into one. I've played TFU about 10 times. I expect to continue playing it for many more times to go.

Sometimes, though, it's just for achievements. Like MW2, I beat the game on Veteran (hard as shit, but still not as hard as blops, by a longshot), then went back on Easy to finish picking up all the intel.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Either a really good story/characters/universe/etc or the complete lack of a story.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#37  Edited By Grumbel
Story, characters and settings: If the game presents an interesting virtual world, I might want to visit that again sooner or later, even if its exactly identical the second time around.
Different gameplay styles: Be it treasure hunt or time trial in Tomb Raider, playing with a different class in Mass Effect or with a different difficulty and weapon layout in Resident Evil 5, everything that changes up the game and lets me experience the game again in a different way or let me visit places I have missed the first time around is welcome.

Things I don't care about: 
Trophies/Archievments: If they fall into "Different gameplay styles" category, sure, I am happy to take them, but otherwise I don't care.
Choice: I made my choices the first time around for a reason and that reason isn't going to chance on a second play through. Didn't care to play as asshole Shepard in Mass Effect at all.
Different Endings: Youtube exists, I am not going to go through a game again just for a different ending, if its just something that takes five minutes with a save right before the end maybe, but otherwise Youtube wins.