What franchises do you think deserve a break?

• 165 results
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By Dylabaloo

I feel like Mario is more of a brand at this point.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Anything that's had a steady release of sequels for the past few years needs to stop. Halo, Assassins Creed and God of War are the worst offenders in my book (I won't even begin to talk about CoD).

I don't mind the Mario games, but they need to show some originality again. Galaxy 2 was incredibly disappointing and the "New" Mario Bros. games have just never been particularly good.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#103  Edited By Humanity

@Jeust said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Jeust said:

• Silent Hill
  • Assassins Creed
  • Mario
  • Zelda
  • Uncharted

They're making a new Uncharted?

After Uncharted: Golden Abbyss I don't think so, still I think this game is a needless addition to the franchise already.

I can definitely see them bringing Uncharted back for the new console generation. Currently it's probably the leading franchise on the PS3.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Eaxis

Assassins Creed, after 3 that needs a break. Mario "new" super mario series bros needs to stop, Gears of war should've taken a break until the next consoles.

Edit: I think Assassins creed shouldn't have another brotherhood or revelations the following years after 3. They didn't bring that much to the franchise and people wanting it for story reasons got many hours of the same ezio gameplay and very little story progression. The "new" super mario franchise is so boring. It feels like copy and paste game design and bad co-op. It lacks the creativity and challenge for more longtime mario fans like myself. After Gears of war 3 they improved the multiplayer from 2, but now with Judgment it will split the multiplayer base and I feel like they should've waited longer to build up more exitement around the Gears franchise for next gen instead of pumping out a prequel one. Also need for speed series doesn't need games like "the run" to fill the meantime for Criterion.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Silent Hill and Final Fantasy. Talk about a pair of tired franchises that need to give it a rest...

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106  Edited By agentboolen

Sonic The Hedgehog, Call of Duty, if AC3 bombs then Assassins Creed, Need for Speed (let Criterion work on Burnout games there better).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#107  Edited By Hailinel

@Eaxis said:

Assassins Creed, after 3 that needs a break. Mario "new" super mario series bros needs to stop, Gears of war should've taken a break until the next consoles.

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

Silent Hill and Final Fantasy. Talk about a pair of tired franchises that need to give it a rest...

@agentboolen said:

Sonic The Hedgehog, Call of Duty, if AC3 bombs then Assassins Creed, Need for Speed (let Criterion work on Burnout games there better).

Guys, explaining why would go a long way to helping your cases.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#108  Edited By big_jon

@LordAndrew said:

Super Mario 3D Land is great! It made New Super Mario Bros. 2 look like a pile of shit. Or maybe NSMB2 really is a pile of shit. Either way, 3D Land is great.

Agreed

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

Halo needs to stop altogether. Reach was a great place to finish, and the prospect of a whole new trilogy is just.. headache-inducing.

Am I wrong, or did I hear at E32011 that the new Halo trilogy would all be launching on the 360? That can't be right with the new systems apparently coming out late next year.

Halo 4 is a 360 game, so yes, the new trilogy is starting on current hardware.

"Would all" meaning every installment of the trilogy, I don't believe it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Hailinel

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Hailinel said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

Halo needs to stop altogether. Reach was a great place to finish, and the prospect of a whole new trilogy is just.. headache-inducing.

Am I wrong, or did I hear at E32011 that the new Halo trilogy would all be launching on the 360? That can't be right with the new systems apparently coming out late next year.

Halo 4 is a 360 game, so yes, the new trilogy is starting on current hardware.

"Would all" meaning every installment of the trilogy, I don't believe it.

Ah. Didn't see that part.

I doubt that the entire trilogy will be on the 360. Not unless Durango is a lot further off than any of us think.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@Hailinel said:

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

Hell, that's easy. It took 20 hours for FF 13 to even get interesting before wrapping up in an underwhelming manner. And that's coming from my wife who thinks that series can do no wrong. As for Silent Hill? Two words: Home Coming.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Hailinel

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@Hailinel said:

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

Hell, that's easy. It took 20 hours for FF 13 to even get interesting before wrapping up in an underwhelming manner. And that's coming from my wife who thinks that series can do no wrong. As for Silent Hill? Two words: Home Coming.

Homecoming was like three games ago. Since then, they had Shattered Memories and Downpour. Not everyone was a fan of Downpour, but Shattered Memories was a legitimately interesting take on the franchise.

And I don't know about that "took twenty hours" to get interesting thing. For those first twenty hours of FFXIII, I was pretty darn enthralled because, even though gameplay concepts were rolling out at a slow page, there was always something going on storywise. And the story itself, despite being largely contained to the codex, was in my mind very interesting.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#113  Edited By ArbitraryWater

My experience with Silent Hill mostly consists of me being made extremely uncomfortable by pretty much everything about Silent Hill 2 (which is to say that the game does its job), but I get the impression from fans that 2, 3 and Shattered Memories are the only good ones anyways and the rest are shades of mediocre. So that I guess?

Call of Duty is such a stupid obvious answer I don't even think it needs to be worth mentioning, and I feel surprisingly ok about Assassin's Creed 3 because I didn't play Brotherhood or Revelations and this one looks like it's the A-team project anyways.

Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy and will always exist. Personally, my interest is nil as long as the newer installments don't contain elaborate job systems or comically stupid plots starring a trio of J-Pop stars, so they can do what they want.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By Cubidog1

Anything that has annual games. You know, stuff like CoD and Assassin's Creed. Oh and all of the annual sports games. Screw those. Other games I think should take a break are traditional Mario games. I think Nintendo needs to take a few years off and make something really creative like they did with Galaxy and 3D Land. I love Mario games, but they are feeling stale. I'll probably buy the New Super Mario Bros. U, but I doubt I'll love it as much as I have loved previous titles.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#115  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm not a fan of pushing out games annually, but I'm guilty of buying some of them regardless. I'd like to see any and every franchise with annual releases become a once every-other-year sort of deal.

will_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By will_m

I don't really mind franchises except for the "annuals" and the ones that are essentially the same game with a few new mechanics (see Assassin's Creed Revelations). Franchises keep people working in the industry but at some point the publishers become too reliant on them. Its a bit of a catch-22. With new innovations and IP's comes risk and that's not something a lot of publishers are ready to take.

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By That1BlackGuy

I wouldn't say that there are any particular franchises that stand out. I think we'll see more franchising of IPs next gen since it'll only be titles that sell well taking up the console space for the most part so they'll want to get every dollar out of the IPs.

I will say that the Final Fantasy franchise should consider a break, yeah I'm" looking forward to A Realm Reborn and all that. However, it feel's like their has been so much FF related content released over this generation. I love to see Square Enix end it at Lightning Returns next year and maybe in 2017-18 come back to the series in the middle of next gen consoles.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dylabaloo said:

I feel like Mario is more of a brand at this point.

Now that I think of it that way, point taken, makes a lot of sense.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#119  Edited By MightyDuck

Part of me wants to say Resident Evil 6. I'm sure the game will be pretty enjoyable, but I just wish they could somehow return to the gameplay of the original Resident Evil trilogy. The hunting for items, jump scares, etc. are things I would love to see back in the series.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#120  Edited By Yummylee

@ArbitraryWater said:

My experience with Silent Hill mostly consists of me being made extremely uncomfortable by pretty much everything about Silent Hill 2 (which is to say that the game does its job), but I get the impression from fans that 2, 3 and Shattered Memories are the only good ones anyways and the rest are shades of mediocre. So that I guess?

The weird thing about the Silent Hill franchise, is they're often so wildly divisive - even amongst its own fan-base. There are plenty of people who froth at the mouth for Silent Hill 2 but consider all of the rest to be a load of shite. Besides Origins (the only silent hill game that I simply couldn't be bothered to play anymore), I think they're all largely worthwhile to some degree or another, even if the series admittedly hasn't been able to reach the same heights as the original three. Though Shattered Memories is puuuurty damn good, as is SH4.

I'm also a very forgiving fan of Downpour, although I appear to be amongst a very small minority in that regard.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Clonedzero

as long as a franchise remains good, then i dont really see a problem in it continuing. im pumped for both halo4 and AC3 this fall. both look really well done. also looking forward to gears of war judgement. i also love fallout and the elder scrolls. pretty much all those games are long lasting franchises. should they stop just cus they've made alot of them? seems stupid.

LOTS of people love call of duty, just cus im not one of them doesnt mean i should trash on a quality series simply cus i dont enjoy it as much as others.

people love mario and i see no reason for them to stop with mario as its not about the story at all, its just a fun platformer series. whats wrong with that? would it really matter if nintendo ditched mario and made a new platforming dude? no not really. but still. though i do think zelda needs to die off for awhile. it actually does have a story, and each game is pretty much exactly the same as the last in terms of design and story. i mean i love the zelda style of gameplay, but the story is so stale i lose interest. its why i love darksiders so much.

so i see no real harm in it as long as people enjoy the games. before some annoying gamer hipster comes along as say "its ruining the industry! its killing originality!" fuck off bucko, the industry and games in general have never been more diverse or more original.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@SmilingPig said:

All of them!

Seriously. I'm over here trying to think of the most overused franchises and all of them come to mind.

All except Mortal Kobat. Keep those hot muffins coming Boon.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By MegaLombax

God of War and Assassins Creed.

iGooner7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#124  Edited By iGooner7

Final Fantasy: To me it stopped at FFX and the rest are $h!t

I would like to say Call of Duty cause with every new game they arent offering any new change but still its sells like a mofo! So i cant unfortunately.

Resident Evil: This game is not horror anymore! It became an ugly action game FFS!

talkingtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By talkingtoast

Final Fantasy 13.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By agentboolen

@Hailinel said:

@Eaxis said:

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@agentboolen said:

I explained why on Assassins Creed, for Sonic and COD series isn't it obvious?! Sonic comes out with more then 1 game a year and it usually sucks, COD same game over and over, but I guess if it sells they'll make it till it bores me to death.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Hailinel
@agentboolen

@Hailinel said:

@Eaxis said:

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@agentboolen said:

I explained why on Assassins Creed, for Sonic and COD series isn't it obvious?! Sonic comes out with more then 1 game a year and it usually sucks, COD same game over and over, but I guess if it sells they'll make it till it bores me to death.

Saying Assassin's Creed needs a break after AC3 is not an explanation. That's a statement without argument.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By gamefreak9

Mario is the main thing holding Nintendo afloat.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Morrow

Call of Duty. NO MORE FUCKING CHEAP SIMPLE WAR GLORIFICATION FPS CRAP CALL OF DUTY.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By MideonNViscera

Gears of War and Assassin's Creed.

I feel Halo is still ok, because we're only coming up on the 5th main game in 11 years. They sped up the releases a lot this generation, but Halo Reach and Halo 4 is still a 2 year difference, and the shortest gap yet. I don't want to see Halo 5 until at least a year into the next generation though. Or maybe not at all. That depends on Halo 4.

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#131  Edited By Jagged85

@Morrow said:

Call of Duty. NO MORE FUCKING CHEAP SIMPLE WAR GLORIFICATION FPS CRAP CALL OF DUTY.

This.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Bell_End

CoD/MW

im so sick of other people enjoying, liking and playing games that i don't like, enjoy or think they should be playing.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By zeforgotten
@Hailinel said:
@agentboolen

@Hailinel said:

@Eaxis said:

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@agentboolen said:

Saying Assassin's Creed needs a break after AC3 is not an explanation. That's a statement without argument.
Read again. 
"If AC3 bombs then Assassins Creed"
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#134  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

This thread, amirite? :3

Inquisitor_Sif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Inquisitor_Sif

Those franchises that I think should take a break now are MGS (unless they remake the first 2 original), Assassin's Creed, Halo (this one just wouldn't end). I wouldn't recommend the CoD franchise to take a break though, I would love to see it be shut down for good. Oh, and the Mario and Legend of Zelda series too, I couldn't recall how many game there are in those two.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Redsox44

Call of Duty hate feels a couple years too late right now. I mean a couple years ago I could see how it was gonna work so I took a break, played a little bit of Black Ops and completely skipped MW3 because that didn't interest me at all from the get go. Now it's been over 2 years since I've put a lot of time into CoD and it was a much needed break, I played lots of other great games that offer completely different experiences, now with Black Ops 2 being made by Treyarch and looking to have the most interesting changes to the series in years , I'm actually excited for it.

Now all these people that spent countless hours of Black Ops and MW3 are hopping on the CoD hate train, but really they just need to take a break, no one's forcing them to buy the games but they do just to complain about it. I don't know why people expect CoD to become a completely different game when no game implements the style of game it is anywhere near as well as it, and it also has the biggest audience in games.

If you're really against the series then don't buy it and play the hundreds of other games out there, buy a PC, expand the types of games you play and just have fun. If you're only playing the CoDs and Halos then of course you are going to get burnt out on them. You don't have to be a douche bag to people that don't take it as serious as you and are just having fun with a game they find enjoyable.

I welcome both Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 because they seem like they bring fresh new exciting ideas to core gameplay that is fun, but I guess people can find anything to hate on if going in with a negative mindset.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Hailinel

@ZeForgotten said:

@Hailinel said:
@agentboolen

@Hailinel said:

@Eaxis said:

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@agentboolen said:

Read again. "If AC3 bombs then Assassins Creed"

EDIT:

Ah, agentboolen's quote. I was thinking of Eaxis's quote. I really don't see AC3 bombing though, so...

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Nottle

The people that say Mario needs to take a break seem crazy. Sure the New Super Mario Bros. games aren't very distinct, and there are the sport spinoffs, but almost every other Mario thing has a lot of creativity behind it. The galaxy game,s Mario 3d land, Paper Mario, the other RPGS to name a couple.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#139  Edited By EpicSteve

How about we wait until those games come out first?

CaptainPeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By CaptainPeach

F@EuanDewar said:

Final Fantasy, that series hasn't done anything interesting in 40+ years

Final Fantasy needs to retire completely. Also, they need to stop making 3D Metroids for a few years. And Halo, after Halo 4 turns out to be not as good as expected, etc

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#141  Edited By Jagged85

@EuanDewar said:

Final Fantasy came out in 1972?!

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#142  Edited By plaintomato

Any franchise that gets sequels that could legitimately be mistaken for DLC to the previous entry in the series.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Rafaelfc

diablo

BigSteve1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#144  Edited By BigSteve1983

@BestUsernameEver said:

@huntad said:

Call of Duty?

Hahaha, funny joke there. Activision will never give any of their franchises a break.

Well they'll probably end up driving COD in the ground like they did with Guitar Hero. From the people who visit my local indy game store their general reaction to this years COD is "ugh, same sh*t again I take it"

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BigSteve1983 said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@huntad said:

Call of Duty?

Hahaha, funny joke there. Activision will never give any of their franchises a break.

Well they'll probably end up driving COD in the ground like they did with Guitar Hero. From the people who visit my local indy game store their general reaction to this years COD is "ugh, same sh*t again I take it"

Indie game store?

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By devilzrule27

every single franchise that is currently out and has multiple sequels.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By devilzrule27

@Jagged85 said:

@EuanDewar said:

Final Fantasy came out in 1972?!

Little known fact, Pong was actually the very first Final Fantasy game. They changed the title for the US release and the numbering got all fucked up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F.E.A.R series and Crysis both have been dumbed down it would be a pipe dream for these series to go back to being PC only focus games.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By amir90

I would say Zelda, but I feel THQ is doing it right with Darksiders. Maybe Dead Space after the 3rd one?

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#150  Edited By Pudge

Slender. There are like twenty different games and I can't tell any of them apart.