What game do you have to keep saying to yourself "don't buy this"?

• 101 results
The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Fallout 4 is mine. I don't care for Fallout 3, I don't think Bethesda are very good at world or quest design, and everything I've played of Fallout 4 has just reinforced that they're continuing to move in a direction that is not really in line with what I'd want out of a Fallout game. And yet, whenever it's on sale, it usually ends up open on my computer as I hum and haw over whether or not to spend the roughly $12 CAD on this game that I don't want to play, won't play, and won't enjoy playing. Sometimes it even makes it all the way to the cart.

I can't explain it. I don't know why or how it happens.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#52  Edited By Bonbonetti

Looooong games. If a game is 40+ hours long I'm highly unlikely to ever finish it. This means 90% of all RPGs I have ever bought. I've been pretty good at not buying RPGs anymore, or at least restricting it to those that are truly unique, like Ni no Kuni 2.

Dark Souls-like games: Dark Souls, Nioh, the Surge, Bloodborne etc. On one hand I'm very attracted to the challenge, on the other hand I know I lack the patience to last more than 10-20 hours with them.

Back when I mostly played on PC it was too easy for me to be tempted into buying games that would run poorly on my rig, one of the many reasons I switched focus to consoles.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

So many listed here that I've had the same experience with. My favourite method of talking myself out of these purchases is that at some point it will probably pop up in one of the Humble Monthly Bundles. Now the usefulness of getting that package every month is a debate for another time. Very glad to hear I'm not the only person to have to take myself aside to not buy something that I'll never use fully.

JunkerWoland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@ohcollusion: Yeah, I'm aware of SF5's DLC being account locked; it goes along with me not wanting to support the game, because of how they've chosen to sell it. BBCross Tag isn't quite my thing, but I do play other Arc System Works games. ASW tends to get crap for how they handle updates, but regardless of whether their installments are overpriced, as someone who does prefer a decent amount of single-player content, I appreciate the new story & character materials that gets added to their titles.

Avatar image for razor_sharp1997
Razor_Sharp1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PUBG, though I'm sure I'll eventually get it...

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I rarely buy games full price, and think of my collection of games as a library rather than a backlog. I can't really think of anything that I've wanted but talked myself out of just because it would possibly go unplayed. That being said, I do often stop myself from buying a game right away just because it's currently being hyped up.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I alone in having to seriously tell myself to not buy particular games all too frequently? I ask because Rainbow Six has a free weekend and sale on Steam - I was a click away from getting it before reminding myself that for all the good reviews, Vinny praise etc. I don't know a person that owns it, I am not the most motivated to play games like this with randoms and it's not even a big fan of tactical shooters any more. But I want it, despite all these things, so every sale that come around I have to have a little word with myself.

Any games that you have to keep telling yourself not to get or, didn't and it now sits on a shelf on in a digital library gathering real or metaphorical dust? Or am I just a sucker for the Steam green labels?

Pretty much exactly how I feel about Siege. I used to be huge into multiplayer tactical shooters, but not so much any more. I keep hovering as well. I can't stop thinking about it for some reason.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By terminallychill

@bonbonetti: I'm 100% with you on this. My biggest decision when picking a game are the stats on its "how long to beat" page. Rarely I will make an exception and get a longer one I know I'd like but I am much more likely to buy short & sweet games that seem unique.

Even though I'm trying to buy less physical copies I rely on them as insurance; if I get bored of something I can usually flip it on kijiji for 75% of the price.

I've also started an excel spreadsheet with a tab for my backlog and a tab for my purchases, whether I've actually played them, and I subtract games I've managed to resell.

Another big factor is how engaged I am while playing: I can play Rainbow Six Siege for hours and feel mentally stimulated, but I sold GTA V because I got sick of driving the same 15 minute routes over and over to set up my friends' heists. I have to balance my play time with studying and I don't want to waste it on grinding that I don't even enjoy.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Nioh doesn't have the atmosphere of the Souls games/Bloodborne but contains maybe the best combat I've ever experienced. Combined with the different stances, the Kusarigama is incredibly satisfying. Possibly my all time favorite video game weapon.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy I'm not alone in the Andromeda department. I'll go one further and say I'll never buy the Mass Effect 3 DLCs. 3 was just so inferior to 2 and my expectations that I couldn't even finish my 2nd playthrough with my renegade character (for context, I beat Mass Effect 1 and 2 with multiple characters to the point where I spent over 200 hours in ME2). I really felt bad and detached seeing screenshots and clips of the Citadel DLC but I'll never support it. I won't even pirate it. I feel bad even thinking about it.

Mass Effect 3 isn't a bad game, but it's way worse than its predecessors in a way that feels utterly unfaithful and such a colossal disappointment. The Tali picture alone makes me wish I never bought the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7e993aef3e3
deactivated-5e7e993aef3e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need For Speed: Payback.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ripelivejam

CURRENTLY it's BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle. Looks like frenetic fun and Jason seems really hyped about it. However, I generally am a noob at fighting games, have about four major recent fighting games I bit the bullet on and should pick one to try to get proficient at (leaning towards dbz), and I also have so so little time and energy during the day. The game looks very damn accessible and fun though...

Also Madden 19 despite having little working knowledge of the sport and hearing this one is pretty meh at best. It's just been a long tine and I have enjoyed football games in the past.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Seikenfreak

I just broke like the twig that I am on Siege. Ugh.

I liked Rainbow Six: Ravenshield and Vegas (on console surprisingly) but all I ever really enjoyed doing was Terrorist Hunt, either by myself or sometimes with people I guess? Everything about Siege has made it seem like its just a team deathmatch type thing. Hearing Vinny mention playing solo/offline stuff and Terrorist Hunt let it get its foot in my mind door. Then I was semi-bored today and saw the free Siege thing on PS store. I thought ehhh why not. Tried the first tutorial type thing, immediately felt like.. yea this is what Vegas felt like.. somehow good on a controller. Tried the same mission a couple times to get my bearings and I wanted the "More than 50 health at end" objective, kept failing it, SHUT the damn game off. Feels good but F it.. I don't want this right now. I'd need a mouse to do this properly anyway.

*long sigh* ..... 6 hours later, it's 3 AM, and I just picked up the $15 version (wtf is with so many editions?) off Steam for some reason. I don't even feel like I want to play this right now. God dammit.

deltamind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have planned the same for Fallout76 lol! I don't feel like buying it but I know I will end up getting it.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That Borderlands collection. It's on sale on the Xbox a lott and everytime I think that I should just add it to my collection but then remember I found Borderlands 1 extremely boring to play

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ajamafalous: Nioh doesn't have the atmosphere of the Souls games/Bloodborne but contains maybe the best combat I've ever experienced. Combined with the different stances, the Kusarigama is incredibly satisfying. Possibly my all time favorite video game weapon.

The thing I liked the most about the earlier Souls games was the way, especially in 1, that the map was intertwined from zone to zone, and the discovery that came from opening a door for the first time and recognizing what was on the other side as a shortcut back to someplace you'd already been. If I understand Nioh correctly, you're literally just selecting levels from a map/menu, which is basically the opposite of what I want out of that style of game.

I also think the combat (with the different stances) looks too complex for me to personally enjoy.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of games and then I buy them anyways because I'm dumb.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 3.... but its $20 for the Complete Edition on PSN and i kinda want it...

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Octopath Traveler at the moment. I'm a sucker for JRPGs, but I just don't have time for them anymore. Hearing that it skews toward older mechanics (like grinding) has been enough to keep me away so far, but I'll probably cave and get it if it goes on sale.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborne. I know I will absolutely hate the gameplay but the art design is so tempting.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: I actually just got the complete edition of Witcher 3 for 20 bucks a few weeks ago. Haven't gotten to the expansions yet, but weirdly enough the base game on sale is the exact same price: $20. I'm not sure if both versions are the same price on PC, but PS4 has had them the same for quite a while now.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No Man Sky - I know I will get bored of it after 1 hour or so. Still idea of the game is tempting...

Damonnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefront games from EA. Their greedy habits in the design of these games put me off completely from purchase even though i am a big Star Wars Fan.

lolatamisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider man

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

@terminallychill: Yeah, shorter and more unique games are ideal for me. I like theidea of truly dedicating myself to a lengthy game, but with time I've come to realize that I need variety; I just can't dedicate 80-100% of my gaming time on just one game, something a lengthy game will usually demand from you if you want to feel as if you are progressing. I prefer having 3-4 going at the same time, in different genres.

It feels like an "outsider" thing though, as most people seem to view Indie games as something you play in-between a lengthy AAA-game. Whereas for me they are the focus of my gaming, since they typically are rather short in comparison, and more unique as well.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By The_Greg

Some Call of Duty games. I have a weird relationship with CoD. I love the campaigns and I liked the online in the MW/MW2 era.

The last few that I've bought (WW2, Advanced Warfare, Infinite Warfare) I have played the campaign once, played about 1 hour of the multiplayer, then not touched it again. Hard to justify £50 on that.

In a way, I'm glad they're sacking off the campaign. It's one less thing to be tempted by.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok this isn't because the game is bad or anything, just that I don't handle horror games well personally. But I have to keep reminding myself to not buy Oxenfree on the switch when its on sale for under 5 bucks. I'm like oh I've heard its a good port and I have to constantly remind myself Its a horror game and it most likely wouldn't be a good time for me (again, this is for me personally nothing wrong with the game).

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naoiko: I also have a hard time enjoying horror games by myself even if I like watch other people play them. But I don't think Oxenfree fits in that category. It's more of short spooky mystery story than a dark oppressive jump scare collage.

As for me, every Steam Sale I have to remind myself to not buy Fallout 4. I used to love Bethesda games but after burning out on Skyrim and not getting into New Vegas at all I think I have to realize that it's not for me anymore.

RAWKPARTEE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of duty is my constant reminder of a game I need to stop buying, if I buy it I play it non stop until another game comes out, then I never return to it again.

The problem is that no game really scratches that itch that cod scratches, destiny was close, but just the stupid arcade fun isn’t easily to find.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every JRPG I see. I remember having so much fun with them when I was younger, but I absolutely loathe playing them now. Guess which part I remember when I look at the add to cart button.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switch games like Mario Kart and Tropical Freeze. I have a WiiU with those games so why do I feel compelled to get them on the Switch too?

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Naoiko

@christoffer: Really? I might actually have to get it next time its on sale then. Thanks! Yeah I can watch people play horror games but I myself can't deal with playing them. Messes with my nerves too much. Thanks duder!

Press_real

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i I think, that any, which is more expencive then 50$

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Re-subbing to Final Fantasy XIV if that counts. With the new Destiny expansion and Spiderman coming out soon I can't justify going back to an MMO right now. I really love XIV though and I've been thinking about it a lot recently, even been seeking out streams which I don't normally do for any game. I would have to relearn basically everything and I just won't have the time to do that at the moment.

randombullseye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sometimes look at Steel Battallion with controller on ebay.

I should not buy that dumb game, it's not that great, even if that is one hell of a gimmick.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Currently Monster Hunter world because my PC isn't good enough to maintain 60 frames on high settings.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any game over $25