What is with the "Manage Cookies" button at the bottom of the page?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

I'm guessing this is new but at the bottom of the page on the left side there is just a button that says "Cookie Settings" now. Now while I appreciate the ability to more easily control what cookies the site feeds my local machine the problem is the button does not go away... it just sits there and its a bit distracting. Is there any way of dismissing the button?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Somethng to do with recent California legislation i believe.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's for the California Consumer Privacy Act. Websites now need to inform users that items of personal information, including cookies, are being collected when using the site and give them the ability to manage those settings. That notice needs to be in a conspicuous spot, so for now it looks like it's getting plastered on just about every page.

I agree that it is an inartful application and there's got to be a better spot for it, but given the fine is $2500 per violation (which likely means per user), they probably want to be able to say they have it rather than worrying about it looking nice.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If you have Firefox and UBlock just right click the button and "block element" to remove it if you want. I know its there because of laws, but most sites i visit have it as a pop up on first visit, then you make your cookie choices then close it and its gone. Not sure why this cant be dismissed in some way after you select your cookie preferences. And its still an option on the footer of the page.

Small minor annoyance, but still an annoyance.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@lego_my_eggo: Ah ha. That fixed it. Forgot you could do that with Ublock.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

Before you remove the button, make sure you have performance cookies enabled, because otherwise the video player won't load for live streams.