What is your favorite and most hated game of the year?

• 124 results
AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By AndyAce83

Loved: Resident Evil 6, with its fun innovating gameplay, nice new and old characters mingling, non-PC story line and action oriented twist. Its great to experience Resident Evil on a new level. Creative way to tell the story by having different points of view. The many mini-games that is (mercenaries and agent hunt) and the new ones coming as DLC are addictive (and better than RE5 Mercanieris) and add a lot of replay value. Its a must play for all real RE fans.

Hated: Non

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By Vinny_Says

@AndyAce83 said:

Loved: Resident Evil 6, with its fun innovating gameplay, nice new and old characters mingling, non-PC story line and action oriented twist. Its great to experience Resident Evil on a new level. Creative way to tell the story by having different points of view. The many mini-games that is (mercenaries and agent hunt) and the new ones coming as DLC are addictive (and better than RE5 Mercanieris) and add a lot of replay value. Its a must play for all real RE fans.

Not sure if serious

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By AndyAce83

@Vinny_Says: Very serious. Any objection other than "it sucks"?

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Xeirus

@Vinny_Says said:

@AndyAce83 said:

Not sure if serious

I was wondering the same thing

sithren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By sithren

I didn't buy a lot of 2012 releases. However, of those that I did play I have to say Diablo III is probably my favourite. Why? It is an action rpg that is not in beta, and I played it for about 175 hours and counting. I guess by default it is my favourite.

As for disappointments (hate is too strong): Guild Wars 2 and Torchlight II. For Guild Wars 2 it is simply an aesthetic thing. I really don't like how the game "looks." I can't really explain it. Too much neon...or something. Also, Torchlight II's combat is just so underwhelming. Someone here referred to it as "unsatisfying." I understand what that means. I never quite felt I was hitting anything when in combat.

edit: Holy crap. I completely forgot about Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Finished it in about 30 hours or so. Haven't played it since. But I had a great time.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By HerbieBug

I made some extra categories. :)

Favorite:  XCOM

Best surprise:  FTL.  I usually dislike that sort of management game, thus the pleasant surprise winner.

Hated: Mass Effect 3.  Specifically the way the DLC was handled.  I don't see how you can interpret that as anything other than cherry picking juicy bits of the story and lancing them from the game specifically to be released as special edition only or DLC.  That is gross.   It means someone making the big decisions was thinking "the fans are idiots who will pay anything to get the full story.  we can bank on them to pay extra for that". 

Most baffling disappointment:  Ninja Gaiden 3.  Seriously what the fuck???  D:  
Runner up in this category is Hitman: Absolution, and keep in mind Hitman series is one of my very favorites in all of video games.  Even the butcher job IO did on Hitman is small potatoes in comparison to the Ninja Gaiden 3 abortion. 
AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AndyAce83

@Xeirus: Well I think @Fredddi43 said it best when he said:

Most hated game I didn't play is Resident Evil 6.

Really says it all, dont you think? People hated RE6 weeks before it was released. Its like the movie The Wave. Some people are like sheep and just decides other peoples opinions are their own. "Oh, its just like Medal of Honor: Warfighter or Metall Gear Solid. I want my old creaky mansion again! So I can complain about RE games being stale!"

-Just because some people have an opinion does not make it right. RE6 is a great game. Those who do not like it, fine, but I think someone poisoned the well and now every "RE fan" wants to hate that game that is better than RE5 both gameplay wise and plot wise.

AAAAAND I am done.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Favorite was The Walking Dead and least favorite/most disappointing was Borderlands 2.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#59  Edited By Hailinel

Favorite: Xenoblade Chronicles

The Opposite: Dragon Age II (Well, I played it this year.)

MrXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#60  Edited By MrXD

Favorite: Armored Core V

Less Favorite: Resident Ev- why did I buy this game!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Sinusoidal

One and the same: Borderlands 2. It being one of the very few 2012 releases I played. I loved the first playthrough as a Gunzerker, dual-wielding and annihilating everything. Then in playthrough 2, enemies ramp up to be so ridiculously bullet-spongy and damage-dealing, you have to snipe, or run away after one or two kills to survive, which just sucks. I quit a quarter of the way through.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By JBG4

Favorite: Borderlands 2 Most Disliked: Dishonored The rest will be revealed in my annual (never actually seen by another person in the three years I've done them) Top 10 list. Coming next week!!!!

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Vinny_Says

@AndyAce83: I haven't played it, but your post lists all the things everyone complained about in RE6. I guess my sarcasm meter is broken today. Hey if you genuinely think RE6 is innovative then more power to ya.

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AndyAce83

@Vinny_Says: Well, I think that a game story told 4 times from different perspectives are kind of innovative. I cant recall many other games I have played who have that style of narration. I also think its cool how the different campaigns are slightly different from each other without of course being to unfamiliar (Leon: Horror/Action RE4 like, Chris: Action/combat RE 5 like, Jake: Close combat/Beat-em up and Ada: Stealth/Puzzles). Capcom experimented, and at least to me, they succeeded.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#65  Edited By MasterBrief

Favorite LEGO Lord of the Rings, got like 3 2012 games. Hated RE6, only played the demo but that is enough to know it was shit.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By Hector

Favorite: It's a tie between The Walking Dead and Mass Effect 3. Two great experiences delivered differently.

Hated: Has to be Resident Evil 6. Seriously, Capcom....wtf!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By zeforgotten

Before I start, there's one thing that need to be said, not aimed towards this topic or the OP or anyone other than the type of people I'm talking about: 
Anyone who says that "The twist" in Binary Domain was fucking out of nowhere and awesome have never played Binary Domain, not once. 

Why? Because there's not just "The Twist" .. there's like a gazillion of them. 

Favorite this year is easily Assassin's Creed 3(Multiplayer included) followed closely by either Hitman: Absolution(Yay for enemies acting like they did in Hitman 2) or Planetside 2(which I've been playing a lot this year including Alpha and Beta so yeah)

Don't know what game I Hate because Hating a game seems like a complete waste of time when you have a life outside of video games. 
Game I had the least fun with would probably be Darksiders 2, that game was just meh. 

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#68  Edited By mcbonjon

Favourite: For me, I'm going with Persona 4 Golden. They made a great game even better than ever.

Hated: Tough one, but Ninja Gaiden 3. This isn't Ninja Gaiden anymore, but a mere shadow of it's former self.

I also will have some more thoughts later on with my GOTY list.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By gamefreak9

Oh god... some parts of Dark Souls are just stupid, and for that i'm going to make a draw between Dark Souls and Diablo 3.

Hate is a strong word, not sure I played anything I didn't like. That's what's great about GB! I haven't played anything I did not enjoy, call that being an informed buyer.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SharkEthic

My favorite game is a tie between The Walking Dead and Far Cry 3. Combining The Walking Deads story telling with Far Cry 3s gameplay, and you'd have The Far Walking Dead Cry; 'nuff said.

My least favorite is Assassins Creed 3...man, just, fuck that game...seriously:

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#71  Edited By Shaunage

My favourite is The Walking Dead.

My most hated is probably Need for Speed: Most Wanted. It just wasn't at all the game I was looking for.

I don't like the driving model at all, and got rid of the game about an hour in.

EDIT: Oh, right. Resident Evil 6. That's WAY worse.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By DizzyMedal

Favourite: FTL

Most Hated: FTL

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Oh man I wouldn't know where to begin on what games I had the most joy with but I will give special mentions to Kingdoms of Amalur for being a real fun RPG to play around in and Sleeping Dogs for being a great open world action game that took itself and its themes serious enough that it felt like a real place with real people in it. As far as games I hated I feel hate is too strong a word but as for disappointed I say Hitman Absolution for being less like Blood Money and more like a 3rd rate stealth game and Darksiders 2 because I just grew bored enough that I couldn't finish it.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By UitDeToekomst

Favorite: XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "hatred", but the game that I played that I enjoyed the least and am disappointed by the amount of praise it receives is "The Walking Dead".

Avatar image for phantomgardener
PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By PhantomGardener

Favorite game of the year is Dishonored.

Most hated game of the year is Neverdead. I can't belive I actually paid full price for that game.. Worst decision I have ever made.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#76  Edited By hollitz

Favorite: Journey

Most Hated: I guess Asura's Wrath. I didn't really hate it, but I feel like I was sold a bill of goods by people raving about the story. I guess if you haven't seen an anime in like 20 years then maybe it's good, but it's just tame and dumb by standards of like ten years ago. Also it looks fucking ugly, as most Unreal games do on console.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Rafaelfc

@AndyAce83 said:

Well, I think that a game story told 4 times from different perspectives are kind of innovative. I cant recall many other games I have played who have that style of narration

That would be fantastic if, you know, the story had any appeal at all. It just felt disjointed, insanely tacked on and unnecessary to the series' arc as a whole, an arc that was done by the end of Resident Evil 5, this game (much like Halo 4 story wise) had the obligation of going back and changing the very foundations of what made the series' fiction tick for better or for worse and it did NOTHING in that regard. Wesker is gone? Let's put his son in the game. Umbrella is done? Let's invent Neo-Umbrella.

The campaign plays almost like a Call of Duty campaign with fat arrows pointing you where to go at all times and all you do for the entirety of the game is shoot everything that you come across down. That they decided that this "story" was epic and sprawling enough that it NEEDED to be told from 4 different perspectives, is actually insulting. Not to mention that stuff you do in one campaign does not affect the others at all (which was the case in Resident Evil 2*).

* = still the best game in the series.

Favorite game was Far Cry 3 (dude, SHARKS!)

Most hated game was AMY, I only ever just played the demo and that made me almost wanna slit my wrists, I wouldn't hate the game as much if it invaded my home, raped and murdered my entire family. (But I'd still want a Spookin' with Scoops where Patrick plays AMY to completion).

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Toss up between ME3 and Farcry 3. Don't really have a hated game of the year, I've enjoyed every game I have purchased this year.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#79  Edited By D0tti

Favorite game: Sleeping dogs 

Most hated game: FIFA 13

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#80  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@PhantomGardener said:

Most hated game of the year is Neverdead. I can't belive I actually paid full price for that game.. Worst decision I have ever made.

Judging by the trailer I had just seen, the premise seemed interesting, if nothing else.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Christoffer

I didn't play anything I hated, or even disliked. I always try to find ways to enjoy the games I buy, and I always wait for the reviews. But... yeah, The Secret World had more, and longer, dull moments than I prefer. So that my pick.

Favourite game will have to be a toss-up between Torchlight 2 and X-Com.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By JZ

Come on people don't be so prissy about the word hate. I don't want to know the game you sorta kinda didn't like. I want you to get down to it and tell me if you thought a game was a pile of shit. 2nd after dishonored for me would be xenoblade, that game is fucking terrible. The people that like it are same people that say "you gotta play it for 60 hours before it gets good."

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Guild Wars 2 and Guild Wars 2.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Oh man, I just finished Binary Domain yesterday. It is so goddamn good, and its story is way better than it has any right being. I mean, a Japanese Gears of War knock-off published by SEGA no less, and it story still manages to ask some important questions, and has some good character stuff. One of my top 10 of the year, for sure.

As for my favorite, either Dishonored or XCOM. I don't really have a least favorite.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Laiv162560asse

Favourite: XCOM - those who know why it's good don't need to be told, and those who don't know why are probably sick of being told why.

However I only got around to playing Batman AC recently. That's probably my favourite gaming experience this year, above even XCOM and TWD. Stupid DRM aside, I think it would be my favourite game of 2012 if it had been released this year, since although this year's been full of a lot of solid, fun games like Sleeping Dogs, Hotline Miami and Max Payne 3, I'd nevertheless hesitate to call them favourites. Batman AC just feels like the complete package.

Hated: a toss up between Spec Ops and Hitman. I simply think these are badly made, badly written games which are no fun to play. Since the 16-bit era I can't remember feeling like it was a horrible chore to play a game, even going back to when I owned a Saturn, but somehow both of these games evoked that feeling. Feeling long and tedious even at merely 6 hours in length, Spec Ops is a bundle of cheap shocksploitation moments clumsily smooshed together and presented as an emotional anti-war treatise. Alternatively, its a commentary on the one-dimensionality of violent games - apparently this is what you're supposed to view it as wherever the creators have failed to create believable story or enemies. No thanks. Hitman is a handful of enjoyable moments wrapped in a complete shitshow of awful design choices. I think this is a dead heat.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#86  Edited By Fearbeard

Favorite so far is either XCOM or Dishonored.

I don't understand hate towards a game so I'll go with most dissappiinting (game that didn't live up to my expectations for it) and that was definitely Assassin's Creed 3 for me. It just did not grab me the way I thought it would.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#87  Edited By subject2change

Hated? Nothing, I don't buy games on a whim. Disappointed with Twisted Metal. Pleased with CS:GO. Loved The Walking Dead.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#88  Edited By Fearbeard
@JZ
Come on people don't be so prissy about the word hate. I don't want to know the game you sorta kinda didn't like. I want you to get down to it and tell me if you thought a game was a pile of shit. 2nd after dishonored for me would be xenoblade, that game is fucking terrible. The people that like it are same people that say "you gotta play it for 60 hours before it gets good."
Not everyone is as angry as you.

If I hated games I probably wouldn't play many games.
prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By prestonhedges

Best: Persona 4 Golden. They took the best JRPG of all time and streamlined/added bonus content.

Most Hated: XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It's an X-Com game with no replay value. I'm not sure how you get away with that.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#90  Edited By musubi

Fuck Borderlands 2.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#91  Edited By hermes

I don't often "hate" games, but in terms of disappointment, Assassins Creed 3 was really underwhelming to me.

XCom and Mass Effect 3 probably rate up there and, in terms of surprises, Walking Dead and Spec Ops are two games I couldn't give a damn that ended up being quite good.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#92  Edited By Nardak

Favorite : Walking dead

Most disappointing game: Resident evil 6

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By pr1mus

Favorite: Journey

Most hated: Syndicate

I'm usually careful about the games i buy and when it came to Syndicate well, i like shooters, i like sci-fi and cyberpunk, Jeff gave it a glowing review and his taste in games and mine are usually pretty close so the game had to be at least somewhat fun right, RIGHT?

Nope. What a goddamn waste of 8$. That's right i only paid 8$ for it a couple weeks ago, not 60$ at launch otherwise i would be pretty fucking pissed. The bloom man!!11!!1 The enemies can hide in the light! That 60 watts bulb reflection on concrete is brighter than the sun!!! So amazing.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#94  Edited By TobbRobb

My favorite was probably Mark of the Ninja "Actually Dark Souls:Ptde, but I played 360 first".

I don't play games I won't at least enjoy a little.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#95  Edited By UltorOscariot

My highlights of the year were X-COM, FTL, Borderlands 2, and The Walking Dead. The low point was unquestionably Resident Evil 6.

Talksin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#96  Edited By Talksin

Favorite is XCOM. I'm really starting to hate the campaign to Black Ops 2. Playing the shit out of the multiplayer but the campaign is fucking stupid.

RWBladewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By RWBladewing

Favorite: Dishonored

Hated: I didn't think anything would top Mass Effect 3 but then Diablo 3 happened. I didn't think anything would top Diablo 3 but now I am about 5 hours into Assassin's Creed 3 and I don't even want to play anymore. I guess that wins since I at least managed to get through D3. It was a bad year for "3" games for me.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Live2bRighteous

@Pr1mus:

Was there any other reason besides bloom that made you hate Syndicate?...

That seems like kind of a silly reason.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By pr1mus

@Live2bRighteous said:

@Pr1mus:

Was there any other reason besides bloom that made you hate Syndicate?...

That seems like kind of a silly reason.

Kinda everything about it. From start to finish it just felt like generic shooter #59. The look, the story, the gameplay... it was just a chore to finish it even though if super short. Specifically about the look though, i'm all for style but sometimes the use of bloom and lens flares and whatnot crosses the line from style to just stupid. Kinda like BF3 where you basically have a window covered in dirt in front of your face all the time but even worst.

But like i said, everything about it was just boooooorring.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#100  Edited By nutter

Spec Ops The Line was probably my favorite. I thought that what it did with storytelling in the medium was better than what I've played of Walking Dead so far.

I tend to like most games. For example, I enjoyed my $2 copy of Duke Nukem Forever and my free copy of Deadliest Warrior (I laughed my ass off playing with a friend).

The last game I actively disliked was CODBlops. I guess I barely scratched Fez, this year. I loved the concept, but didn't have time for it (I was actually probably playing Duke and Deadliest Warrior, oddly enough).

Favorite: Spec Ops
Least Favorite: Fez