Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Scorpinox
@Absurd said:
" @Adamantium said:
" Tupac is the shit. Everyone else just wishes they were as good as he was. "
Biggie Smalls is better than Tupac :) "

Are you fuckin kidding me? Biggie Smalls can't rhyme properly.I entice anyone reading my post right now to search for some Biggie music and listen to how he raps 1 set of 3 words with another set of 3 words....that's his pathetic formula and it sounds retarded to say the least.And I've also seen 2pac dominate a freestyle session in which Biggie jumped in as well and spit some of the weakest shit I've ever heard. 

And tell me what Biggie has done for Hip Hop with his generically boring New York style.I should not even have to list what 2pac accomplished in his career.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Geno

Not into it. I think the art form is put to waste when all that anyone has to talk about it is "crack, money, and bitches". 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By Video_Game_King
@baconbits33: 

IQ of a paper clip IN MUSIC. I'm not being aggressive about this, so I don't why you have to be.
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Adamantium
@Absurd said:
" @Adamantium said:
" @Absurd said:
" @Adamantium said:
Lolz! Haha thx dude. I haven't had a good laugh today, until that! "
That's right, shake it off. One day you'll recognize. "
When people remember Tupac they think of a real thug, speaking truth about life in the ghettos of L.A. during the most turbulent times of gang violence, of lyrical poetry and genius presented unfetterd, unadulterated, and unapologetically. Of a man cut down in his prime, representing a piece of America that no one else could portray in any similar fashion.

When people remember Biggie, they think of a 300 pound money-grubber whose greatest legacy is leaving us with Puff Daddy. Lolz.
ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ShadowKing7

In general, the older stuff, i.e. 90s and back, is better than new stuff.  All new rap is basically the same commercial garbage that everyone else has put out.  People from back in the day like Tupac, NWA, Ice-T, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang Clan and others like that had some classic shit.  As far as modern artists, the only mainstream ones that I like that come out around this decade is Eminem and Chamillionaire because they actually have meaning and heart in their lyrics.  Otherwise, all else that I can think of that comes out for the mainstream now is nothing but the same bullshit that talks about money, bitches, clothes, cars, and other materialistic bullshit, or some new dumbass dance that'll be forgotten about in a month when another dumbass dance comes out.  Until artists start caring about their lyrics and what their speaking about, I'll take the old school rap any day.
EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By EnchantedEcho

Most of it I cant stand but, I do enjoy most of Eminem's songs and Hilltop Hoods.
I dislike stuff like 50 Cent, Soulja Boy and all that crap.
Run DMC can be good from time to time :/

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By JoelTGM

not interested in at all.  I think it's generally pretty awful.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By sgjackson

It's not my thing, but it's a genre I can respect. I don't know the music well enough to comment past that.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By baconbits33
@Video_Game_King said:
" @baconbits33:   IQ of a paper clip IN MUSIC. I'm not being aggressive about this, so I don't why you have to be. "
Idk I'm bored, and I can't start a fight in my own house so I figure the internet is the next best thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jacques Cousteau could never get this low

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@TripMasterMunky: hahaha.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Video_Game_King
@baconbits33: 

My turn to be aggressive:

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By Absurd
@Adamantium said:
" @Absurd said:
" @Adamantium said:
" @Absurd said:
" @Adamantium said:
Lolz! Haha thx dude. I haven't had a good laugh today, until that! "
That's right, shake it off. One day you'll recognize. "
When people remember Tupac they think of a real thug, speaking truth about life in the ghettos of L.A. during the most turbulent times of gang violence, of lyrical poetry and genius presented unfetterd, unadulterated, and unapologetically. Of a man cut down in his prime, representing a piece of America that no one else could portray in any similar fashion.  When people remember Biggie, they think of a 300 pound money-grubber whose greatest legacy is leaving us with Puff Daddy. Lolz. "
Correction: When you think of Tupac and Biggie Smalls, that's what you think. Also, I don't care what their lives were like, only what their raps sounded like.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By raviolisumo

Stuff that plays on the radio barely counts as rap. Lyrics never have any deeper meaning, along with the subject matter being about as shallow as a kiddie pool in the desert. 

Aesop Rock. Listen to him. 

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Illmatic

Obvious from my name, it's my absolute favorite genre of music. From the moment I heard Killing Me Softly during a cousin's birthday party when I was young, I was hooked. To be completely frank, I find a lot of the reasoning for people's dislike of the genre to be lazy and quite immature. To claim that you dislike a genre because of its sound is one thing and completely understandable. But to say that an entire genre of music and its hundreds and thousands of artists are all limited to a single piece of subject matter is completely baffling to me. 

I'm not gonna bore you with "underground", "it was better back in the day" and "radio is crap" talk because to be honest, I think these accusations are also complete bullshit. Just as there are terrible mainstream artists, there are abysmal underground artists who talk more about how they think hip-hop is dead rather than using hip-hop for what it was intended: expressing a state of mind through spoken word. There were plenty of shoddy rappers back in the day who were in it just for the money and fame rather than to respect the art form. I mean, hell, the amount of gold chains and track suits back in the day should be enough of an indication of how far back corporate music has existed. As far as radio is concerned, I could go for hours explaining my dislike of both sides of the argument. If you are not a fan of the delivery of the music and style of the instrumentals in hip-hop I completely understand and don't blame you for it. But when it gets down to stereotyping, I really do lose respect for the individual in terms of their music preferences. It's a lazy and clumsy way to put together what it is about music you don't like.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By baconbits33
@Video_Game_King said:
" @baconbits33: 

My turn to be aggressive:

"
That's not aggressive, that's hilarious, and hypocritical.... Don't know which one to laugh at more.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By Karmum

I like some rap music, but not most of it.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By raviolisumo
@Illmatic said:
" Obvious from my name, it's my absolute favorite genre of music. From the moment I heard Killing Me Softly during a cousin's birthday party when I was young, I was hooked. To be completely frank, I find a lot of the reasoning for people's dislike of the genre to be lazy and quite immature. To claim that you dislike a genre because of its sound is one thing and completely understandable. But to say that an entire genre of music and its hundreds and thousands of artists are all limited to a single piece of subject matter is completely baffling to me.   I'm not gonna bore you with "underground", "it was better back in the day" and "radio is crap" talk because to be honest, I think these accusations are also complete bullshit. Just as there are terrible mainstream artists, there are abysmal underground artists who talk more about how they think hip-hop is dead rather than using hip-hop for what it was intended: expressing a state of mind through spoken word. There were plenty of shoddy rappers back in the day who were in it just for the money and fame rather than to respect the art form. I mean, hell, the amount of gold chains and track suits back in the day should be enough of an indication of how far back corporate music has existed. As far as radio is concerned, I could go for hours explaining my dislike of both sides of the argument. If you are not a fan of the delivery of the music and style of the instrumentals in hip-hop I completely understand and don't blame you for it. But when it gets down to stereotyping, I really do lose respect for the individual in terms of their music preferences. It's a lazy and clumsy way to put together what it is about music you don't like. "
Nice username.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@Illmatic: Great way of looking at it. So i assume you like Nas then. Illmatic is my favorite album ever actually.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Andorski

Virtually any rap that is found on TV or radio is crap.  Although this can be said about all forms of music.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Video_Game_King
@baconbits33: 

What's hypocritical about it? Have I been displaying those tendencies here without knowing it? Again, I don't feel like I've been aggressive in this argument.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Illmatic
@CornontheCobbe: Illmatic is definitely one of my favorite albums. I put it as my username because its the album that got me seriously into hip-hop rather than simply listening to it casually.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By baconbits33
@Video_Game_King said:
" @baconbits33:   What's hypocritical about it? Have I been displaying those tendencies here without knowing it? Again, I don't feel like I've been aggressive in this argument. "
Play innocent all you want, hell it worked for OJ, let's see how far it gets you.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By LiquidSwords
  You had to be there
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Video_Game_King
@baconbits33: 

Again, no idea. Be specific.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By baconbits33
@baconbits33 said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @baconbits33: I'm not claiming to be an expert (far from it), just stating my opinion. "
Well that's given your not a expert nobody is on this website when it comes to music, but I mean, it's common sense to know Battle of the Bands. I mean for godsakes theres freakin dozens of big time movies based off of it, hell even the main star of the movie you mentioned Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny, made a movie that revolved around the Battle of the Bands. "
That was my first reply, read the bolded part.

@Video_Game_King
said:
" @baconbits33:   Take notice of the "far from it" part. It explains a lot. "
This was your reply to that.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Video_Game_King
@baconbits33: 

I still don't get it. Was it hypocritical or aggressive? I was saying that I'm musically retarded.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By baconbits33
@Video_Game_King: Aggressive first and hypocritical later on..... ok I'm gonna end this, cause I'm about to pass out and I'm sure as hell not gonna pass out arguing with you (no offense just, do you like to pass out next to your computer?).... 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Video_Game_King
@baconbits33: 

Once, I believe, but it wasn't exactly passing out; it was something I can't really describe briefly.
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#80  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
@JeffGoldblum said:
" Music is like candy. You always throw away the rappers. "
Not me.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By penguindust
@OctaneHugo said:
" Depends what kind of rap you mean. If you mean REAL rap, the stuff released "back in the day" that had some actual meaning to it and had awesome rhythm and great beats and was made by skilled musicians, then I like it very much.  If you mean the sorry excuse for music that most people consider rap today, complete with meaningless lyrics bout dem bitchez and/or hoez, autotune and da bling bling, that stuff is trash and should be eradicated from memory. "
Exactly this.  I much prefer the artists and the songs of a decade (or so) ago and older.
Mrbiscuit101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Mrbiscuit101

One of the best rap songs I have listened to in my living memory (but it is quite short lol)
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#84  Edited By oldschool

I am not the demographic apparently, being 49, but there is some hip-hop I really like.  I suppose I was pretty young when I first took a liking to some of it: 

Grand Master Flash & the Furious Five  
When I first heard them, I really enjoyed what was a fresh new style of music.  Around the same time, white people were starting to get into it, especially in Europe.  Falco (Der Kommisar) and Malcolm McLaren (of Sex Pistols fame, with Duck Rock, an entire album of hip-hop) were an interesting diversion. 

De La Soul 
Now this is my favourite style of hip-hop, old school style.  They were amazing.  Say No Go was brilliant.  Their style remains my favourite, and is done well by the likes of Jurassic 5 and Ugly Duckling in recent times. 

Beastie Boys 
How can you not love the Beasties?  A fan in the early 80s and still am.  No-one does their rock/rap music as well. 

RunDMC 
More brilliant old school hip hop.  They were brilliant and were the only group that could make me listen to Aerosmith, but the likes of It's Tricky set them at the top of the hip hop pile. 

Cypress Hill 
If you don't like Insane in the Brain, you have no taste.  This is about as aggressive as my tastes in hip hop will go though. 

Missy Elliot 
Missy is by far the best thing hip-hop has ever produced.  She is beyond brilliant.  In fact I will say that she is the best solo female artist of all time.  Get Ur Freak On, 4 My People, Pass the Dutch - everything she does just gets me.  I will even forgive for the work she did with Timbaland.   

Emimem 
I enjoyed Emimem, but surely we have to acknowledge that in reality, he was bordering on a novelty act.  I am glad he dropped out of the scene, for as much as I enjoyed his work, it was getting old, real quick. 

So, they would be my standouts from my tastes.  What I REALLY HATE though, is gangsta rap, 50 Cent style.  That is just the worst music (if you can call it that) ever and there is nothing sadder than some white kid who thinks he is gangsta.  

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By L33tfella_H

Dood, rep musix is like de Darkoz bangin' a drum and reading a poem El-oh-El.

but seriously, there's alot of quality stuff out there, people are just too quick to judge cause they see soulja boy on TV and think 'dood fkn blackiez...what dey know bout musix'.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By warxsnake

absolutely hate it.

OctaneHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By OctaneHugo
@oldschool: Grandmaster Flash, early Eminem, Beastie Boys and RunDMC are all amazing. I love "The Message" and "White Lines".

Another act worth mentioning, which AFAIK was the same period of The Furious Five are the Sugarhill Gang. "Rapper's Delight" is friggin' awesome.
MadaPaka34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MadaPaka34

Something funny I noticed about the way people perceive hip-hop and rap is that there are always two major extremes in every discussion. On one end, you've got the absolute haters who default the entire genre to being about  cash, bling, drugs, hoes, etc. Obviously, a lot of emcees and rappers have plenty of songs in which they don't wax about these topics; anyone who refuses to see that is just ignorant.  These people also make the assumption that the genre takes no skill because of the absence of instruments; try producing a beat or even following along with a remotely skilled rapper and there's bound to be trouble.

On the other side of the spectrum, you've got hip-hop/rap "fans" who think every single thing released by an "underground" rapper is the greatest thing since the invention of the Internet. These are the same people who  deem some rappers "street philosophers" and "geniuses". Some artists make some really good music, but let's not get carried away here. Many people who blindly support hip hop and rap also tend to forget that even the best of  the genre, ) I'm looking at you, Biggie and Pac) have talked about some ignorant ass shit in large number of their songs. 

As for me? I like myself some hip-hop and rap music. Sometimes it has meaning, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I like to hear some thought-provoking stuff. Sometimes I just want music to drive or move around to.

tamerxero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89  Edited By tamerxero
@MadaPaka34 said:
" Something funny I noticed about the way people perceive hip-hop and rap is that there are always two major extremes in every discussion. On one end, you've got the absolute haters who default the entire genre to being about  cash, bling, drugs, hoes, etc. Obviously, a lot of emcees and rappers have plenty of songs in which they don't wax about these topics; anyone who refuses to see that is just ignorant.  These people also make the assumption that the genre takes no skill because of the absence of instruments; try producing a beat or even following along with a remotely skilled rapper and there's bound to be trouble.  On the other side of the spectrum, you've got hip-hop/rap "fans" who think every single thing released by an "underground" rapper is the greatest thing since the invention of the Internet. These are the same people who  deem some rappers "street philosophers" and "geniuses". Some artists make some really good music, but let's not get carried away here. Many people who blindly support hip hop and rap also tend to forget that even the best of  the genre, ) I'm looking at you, Biggie and Pac) have talked about some ignorant ass shit in large number of their songs.   As for me? I like myself some hip-hop and rap music. Sometimes it has meaning, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I like to hear some thought-provoking stuff. Sometimes I just want music to drive or move around to. "
Well spoken. 

Me, personally, I'm a lover of all kinds of music, but I usually tend to stay underground, "indie" if you will, with almost everything I listen to.  I think the best rappers today are the underground acts, but there are some genuinely good artists who are mainstream.  I believe that the best are geniuses in their craft, though, and that can be either the good mainstream acts or the underground ones. 

And I believe this about mostly every genre of music.  So, yeah, I like rap.  I like hip hop.  I think both are great, as are rock, metal, alternative, jazz (especially jazz), blues, country, etc.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#90  Edited By JJWeatherman
@JeffGoldblum said:
" Music is like candy. You always throw away the rappers. "
Apparently you don't eat those Japanese candies with the rice paper wrappers.    :P
xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By xplodedd
@Mrbiscuit101 said:
"   
  One of the best rap songs I have listened to in my living memory (but it is quite short lol) "
its really good, i like illmatic but people need to realize that there are other good rappers other then NAS... lol 

but yeah, i haven't heard a single person listen to this one and say its trash. 
Although, I like this one more: 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ArchScabby

ITZ GOT SIK BEETZ YO!!!

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I don't enjoy rap, but my reasons are different. Rap is more like a poem than it is music. It usually lacks melodic changes and has repetitive baselines. It lacks most of what makes music, music. I'm not saying rap isn't music, don't take me the wrong way.

CaptainMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By CaptainMax

Rap is fantastic. People who say they dislike it, just havent heard the right rap. There is a whole world of rap that is nothing like the gangster shit you hear every day.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#96  Edited By meteora

I only have like, Fort Minor on my iTunes for rapping. That's about it. I don't really like it, I just prefer rock/metal/electronca.

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Alphonzo
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" Like everything else there is good hip-hop and bad hip-hop. "
Yes.  But most people's idea of "good hip-hop" is - fun fact - total shit. That stuff gives hip hop a bad name.
Mrbiscuit101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Mrbiscuit101
@xplodedd: Yea that's a good one. I also love people under the stairs for some reason lol.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#100  Edited By Akeldama

please dont call that trash music.