What MMO should I play?

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Currently I am on vacation and in about two months I will be going back to college. I have been itching to try an mmo to keep me occupied during this time but I am not sure which one would entertain me and keep me hooked to it. I have tried some mmos back in my early high school years and they were mostly free 2 play since I did not have a job to get an income and pay a monthly fee. I did not have a strong enough computer to play demanding games also and ultimately I began playing Runescape on my laptop. I played runescape for about a year and a half, im talking about 2009 to early 2010 when I played this game. I could not download the mmos that were big in size because I had dial up internet for some time before transitioning to average dsl . Other mmos that I tried out during the those years were city of heroes, champions online, DC universe online,Runes of magic,age of conan, lord of the rings online. The only one of these that i played for more than a month was probably Dc universe. Soon after having played these I got an income, discovered Steam, built a gaming computer,bought many games during the amazing steam sales, and totally forgot about these massively multiplayer online roleplaying games.

I did try the world of warcraft trial and for some reason I somehow could not get entertained with that game, I also tried the eve online trial for a few hours and that was very difficult to get into. I have heard of this Guild wars 2 game, and Star wars the old republic also. It would be nice If I could get into an mmo with a nice, welcoming community,and an immersive world with good lore. Any help would be greatly appreciated of trying to find an mmo that I would be interested in playing.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Been happy with Guild Wars2 as they've been doing a great job not only keeping the game cheap by just buying the base game & giving players the freedom to buy (or not) the microtransactions with the gem exchange (where you can use in-game money to buy things on in the Black Lion Trading Hub in the game) in addition to doing month long update expansions to the overall world with new stories going on as well as holidays like Wintersday (aka christmas) & halloween.

Plus we have a guild set up on Yak's Bend.

http://www.giantbomb.com/guild-wars-2/3030-21223/forums/giant-bomb-guild-redux-1425025/#100

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Star Trek Online. Play it for a few hours, realise MMOs aren't to your liking, and give up while taking some comfort in knowing that you didn't have to pay for any of it.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you had the time to wait I'd say just wait for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn in August.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you had the time to wait I'd say just wait for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn in August.

I agree, ARR is looking pretty great so far.

I have Guild Wars 2 and enjoy it, but I haven't played for months because the art direction just feels...lifeless to me.

I really love the look of FFXIV so I'll probably end up playing that, if I ever get into an MMO again.

You can sign up for the closed beta now, as far as I know, but it's invite only. :(

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eve is OK, everything else is god awful with garbage treadmill gameplay

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Guild Wars 2 is pretty good.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By TyCobb

@lun49gameon said:

I did try the world of warcraft trial and for some reason I somehow could not get entertained with that game....

That would be because Blizzard destroyed what was once a decent MMO. Vanilla WoW was better than the shit they keep updating today.

The newer FFXIV comes out at the end of August. I would attempt that. MMO launches are the best times to get into them (except for server stability of course). Actually, I just realized you said you are on vacation now so this will be coming out probably right as your vacation ends.

Shoot, I don't know. You can try Rift. I haven't played it in a couple of years, but it just went Free 2 Play if I remember correctly. Doesn't hurt to just download and try it. I had a blast with it when I played.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planetside 2. It's free and the battles are exponentially larger and more exciting than any comparable game.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you want to spend hours creating a character, then Champions Online is another free to play mmo that's available on steam.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since money sucks as a student, check out the F2P options first.

-Lord of the Rings Online

-Neverwinter

-Star Trek Online

-Guild Wars 2 (have to pay for the initial game, no recurring fees)

For competitive games, Planetside 2 is probably your best bet.

Avatar image for randomcharachter
randomcharachter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Heroes if you like comics

kylekrueger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While some of the choices made in character design are questionable, Tera is actually extremely fun and a good example of how to do free to play with the cash shop being mostly cosmetic items.The game play also has a really good feel to it, The community is not very good in my opinion but it may just be the server I'm on.

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sqrabbit

Realm of the Mad God

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By LackLuster

Neverwinter is tons of fun

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old republic is F2P and right now there is double XP that basically fixes what is wrong with that game, highly recommended

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jesterroyal

I was really into GW2 for a while and I can still go back and enjoy it. It does kind of peeter out once you hit 80 unless you embrace a bit of grind. They do seem to be doing a great job of pumping out new holidyish content every other month. The community was pretty good as well. If you want to enjoy an MMO you gotta get in with the people who play it. And since you are here I assume you want to get in with some other Bombers. Right now I'm really deep into eve online. You have to pay but its also good for college because skill training is how you advance. You can play and do what you want to do when you have time but as long as your account is active and you have a skill training you are always advancing your character. The community there is also a blast and up for having fun and wasting time. If you have any other questions about either feel free to ask em.

Also the lore for both of these games is pretty great.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MMOs are terrible single player games. If you don't have friends already playing one what's the point. If you want an MMO like experience that's actually fun to play try Kingdoms of Amalur.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really like Neverwinter. The gameplay is pretty damn fun for me (I don't really like the slow/auto-attack MMOs) and I play with my buddies.

There are some spots where you're forced (more or less) to take part in group battles and group dungeons. Everyone seems pretty cool with each other and even if you don't have friends playing/don't like playing with other people, those missions really show what makes the game pop.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zeushbien

Tera went free to play I believe and has probably the best combat in any mmorpg. You should give it a try.

Other than that, I enjoyed my time with both Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BurBan_Snake

Depends on what you're after. I'm an 8 year World of Warcraft vet, who has stepped away from the game. Generally speaking, if you didn't like WoW, most MMOs probably aren't for you. However, Guild Wars 2 has a major change of pace from Warcraft, while still feeling familiar. The story mode in Guild Wars is interesting, and immersive, and it is also fully voiced, making it a very solid experience, but the end game is very weak. While I got my $32 worth out of the game, I generally didn't enjoy it very much, and quit after roughly 2 months.

I've also played a lot of Aion: Ascension. This game is a WoW clone, with a new feel to it because of the Daeva flight system, in regards to PVP. The game is enjoyable, and free to play entirely, and I'd recommend this one if you're looking for something like Warcraft.

Alternatively, if You're a star wars fan, I'd play Star Wars: The Old Republic until you finish the storyline, but since you can't really do JACK SHIT WHATSOEVER for free in that game, I'd bail after that.

I did not enjoy Tera, and have been meaning to try Neverwinter but haven't gotten around to it.

Ragnarok Online 2: The Gate of the World recently released, seems decent-havent tried.

And of course, for something really light, yet time consuming: RuneScape, everyone's childhood MMO. A lot of gameplay improvements have taken place in this game, and its definitely worth playing for free, or even their $8 subscription. I haven't played it for a while, but I periodically check up on it (few months annually) to see what has changed, and there's still fun to be had here.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would advise either The Secret World because it has great lore, an interesting world, has a very broad range of quests, and is FTP.... Or ... ... ... Tera. It is extremely Korean and some of the character designs make me gag but it is totally FTP and the combat is much smoother and easier to pick up and play that say Rift. Rift is also a bigger grind and gets very monotonous fast if you ask me. Your only other good alternate is Star Wars the Old Republic but some of the things they gate off in the FTP mode is very rough, like, you are limited on how many action bars you can have rough.

If you are serious about getting into a new mmo and don't mind spending money.... wait for either Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn which is vastly better than it's original release or wait even longer for The Elder Scrolls Online.