MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Probably FF13. Fuck FF13!

But Chrono Cross and DmC are up there.

You have admitted to not even playing DmC so you can't say that.

Chrono Cross is bad (except the music.) and fuck FFXIII.

Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Revolver

right now probably would be cross channel

I accept that they're all broken people but...damn is all I have to say

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hate cancer; I don't like bad games.

This thread is fucking dumb.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

A Boy and his Blob for the NES

First game I ever bought with my own money at release. And Games were a heck of a lot more money back then

I totally got suckered by the hype, which was a real problem back then as word of mouth, store clerks and Hype rags were about the only sources of info. My local rental place didn't have it.

Man was that game bad, a platformer with no jumping, graphics that looked like poo, and you basically had to memorize the placement of every jelly bean and execute it perfectly to advance which was challenge given how much the blob slid around. Real easy to get perma-stuck in that game.

Today I could probably cruise through it an hour or so with a guide, but back then that was effing miserable. The worst was the intense feeling of buyer's remorse given how many months I saved up to buy a game, wasn't exactly a robust market for used games then either. Taught me a hard lesson about Nintendo Power and hype.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuck too human...

FUCK too human!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#156  Edited By Enigma777

@mariachimacabre said:

@enigma777 said:

The fuck I can't!

I don't need to play a game in order to hate it. Also just because I hate a game, doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, DmC's critical acclaim just makes me hate it more.

Also you need to divorce yourself of the idea that people can only hate bad games. A game doesn't have to be bad to be a complete and utter crushing disappointment (see Fallout 3, FF13, etc etc)

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre said:

@enigma777 said:

The fuck I can't!

I don't need to play a game in order to hate it. Also just because I hate a game, doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, DmC's critical acclaim just makes me hate it more.

Also you need to divorce yourself of the idea that people can only hate bad games. A game doesn't have to be bad to be a complete and utter crushing disappointment (see Fallout 3, FF13, etc etc)

That's super childish, you have to admit.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo and Gears

They pave way for the age of FPS and bald space marines. I feel creativity in the Fps genre died with that.

Gears of War has nothing to do with space, no one is a marine, there are very few bald guys, and it's not an FPS.

Halo space marines are those tiny generic soldiers you run into. Spartans are Naval officers, and bald ones are the minority.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - This game made me hate Star Wars. Stupid ideas about the force, and completely unlikable characters.

Iron Man 2 - Just plain broken and nearly unplayable.

Mass Effect 3 - A huge letdown. An ending that wasn't meant to be the ending, contradicting everything learned across 3 games, tainting earlier and future games.

Fable 3 - Pretty much does everything wrong, charges you for the color black and makes John Cleese a DLC shill.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@enigma777 said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@enigma777 said:

The fuck I can't!

That's super childish, you have to admit.

No.

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grand Theft Auto IV, how it received so much praise from the press and community astounds me. The missions are typically boring and repetitive, the mission checkpoints create frustration, the cover system control is frustrating and borderline broken, the weapons mechanics are awful, the artificial intelligence is laughable, weapon switching is a pain, non-playable characters and enemies take way to many damage, the driving physics are awful and make car-chase sequences frustrating and painful, the death/police mechanic is frustrating, their is no reason to be caught by the police instead of either letting Niko die or restarting your last save, the art-style is bland and uninspired, and the graphics are incredibly mediocre and inconsistent. The game is just so frustratingly awful in many aspects.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Video games aren't worth genuine hatred. Oh, Deus Ex Invisible War is a piece of work, but I wouldn't say that I hate it, I'd say that it's a bad game and I dislike it.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By leinad44

That Fellowship of the Ring game that Surreal Software made. *shudder*

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#163  Edited By PandaBear

@seppli said:

@pandabear said:

@seppli said:

Mine's Battlefield 3. Nothing even comes close. I love Battlefield. I played the shit out of Battlefield 3 despite my hatred for it. Everytime I turn it on, it takes at least 10 hours of constant rage 'til I've sufficiently vented my frustration with pretty much each and every design particular of this game, so that I can somewhat enjoy it for the Battlefield game it is. But god, do I ever hate this game. So fucking much. Black tar of hatred is oozing from my soul everytime I touch it.

So what's your most hated game ever? Remember - there's no hate, if there isn't love as well.

Why the hatred? Just curious what your reasons are. I love the shit out of that game. THE SHIT.... OUT OF...

Don't get me started. Oh well, now it's too late. I'm sure this list won't be anything comprehensive, but here we go....

1. Suppression. Skill stifling mechanic. Reduces viability of reactive actions with screen blur and deviation increase. Increases viablity of spray and pray. Destroys balance in favor of high rate of fire weapons. Why blur these fine graphics? Suppression is a cowardice simulation system. I'm playing Battlefield to act the hero. My direction, if I'd be forced to implent a mechanic to the game, when being fired upon? I'd go for the opposite. Instead of suppression I'd go for combat high. Increasingly desaturate picture when under fire whilst simultaneously starting to highlight/outline/silhouette all enemies in sight and turn each and every ballistic projectile into a tracer round. Of course I'd rather have neither.
    If you hate suppression you take the anti-suppression perk. Without suppression the assualt class wins, every time. The best players in the world are usually assault and usually running with an M16A3, AEK-971 a FAMAS (back in the day) or an F2000. They have the best main weapons - low recoil, high damage, big fire rate... support guys get heavy slow guns with huge rates of fire that jump around. To counter that they deploy a stand (taking up time) and can't move, then have to unmount it to run. Suppression is to give the guys with the big guns a chance to slow down a team of assaults with those accurate, deadly guns. It's also fair enough that someone being shot at should feel some sort of anxiety and if you're hit you take an accuracy hit. i dunno, I'm ok with it I guess.
  2. Unnatural desaturation of colors. Extreme desaturation of colors when hurt.
    That's a matter of taste ... but the base maps are too grey ... though some of the coastal maps are cool. But yes, some more life would be nice. Maybe a little sun!
  3. Unnatural overexposure. Lights too bright. Shadows too dark.
    Agreed for sure! Too dark, too bright, no middle ground ... the game looks cool, but I'd prefer a more "realistic" look over this "gritty movie-like realism".
  4. Too few tracer rounds. Inconsistent muzzle flash (and not enough of it to begin with).
    Different guns, different flash. A SV98 is like a torch blasting in the distance, but you can cover up the muzzle flash with a flash suppressor. I don't know though, this issue hasn't bothered me much.
  5. Suppression for every weapon and every kit. Removing visual and audio gun rapport at random for any kit. Distorting clarity of feedback.
    If you mean every weapon has suppression then yes, that's only fair. If you mean every weapon sounds the same with a suppressor you're flat out wrong - a silenced shotgun, pistol, rilfe, machine gun all sound different. I can hear the clicks of a silenced A-91 over the pop of a SCAR-H... they may vary less, but hey they're suppressed to reduce noise.
  6. The overall quality of visual and audio feedback is horrid by design because of aforementioned points 2.-5. Suppression doesn't help the overall clarity of what's going on either.
    I think the game looks brilliant! The physics alone are impressive... but the scale and detail. I love it. But you'r right about it being too gritty and washed out. A little colour would be nice.
  7. The lack of feedback and clarity of what's going on in-game is forcing unnatural systems like 2D-audio spotting, where a single unsuppressed shot gives away your position and heading on the minimap, making any kind of stealth and trigger discipline with an unsuppressed weapon a joke - yet another skill stifling measure. Scope glint is a similar byproduct of muddied feedback by design - a countermeasure made necessary by a design direction I hate.
    Scope glint sucks, but if you're up against a sniper whose a 14-yr old with 90 hours a week to play this game you're pretty thankful you get ANY indication of where they are. And once again, unsuppresed shot show up on the map. That's the rule. Fire a gun in real life and tell me people wouldn't know where you are. If you change was implemented then suppressors become useless. Some guns need only one shot. If you want to play aggressive stealth slap a silencer on an A-91 with a foregrip. The trade off it range and bullet velocity. That's a fair trade of in my opinion.
  8. Kits and vehicle customization too fractioned. Core kit functionalities like repair torches and med kits are optional, same goes for key vehicular countermeasure - making all of it too muddy. A quick kit swap to heal up? Repair vehicle? Forget about it. You never know what you get. Customization went overboard. If it was me responsible for kit design and balance, core kit abilities and basic vehicular countermeasures would be fixed and not optional, like the aforementioned ones.
    See I think it comes back to making each class versatile but unique. An engineer shouldn't HAVE to carry a repair tool. I mean I ditch it for the mines to hold down a flag. And an Assualt class has to carry the revive defibrillators, but can ditch the heal pack to carry a grenade launcher... making them more aggressive. If you force people to carry equipment like repair tools you make them useless on maps where they're better off defending with mines.
  9. I hate the blue in blue UI and HUD, that's scaled poorly to anything but 720p rendering resolution. Useless minimap. Useless UI. Obstructive HUD. The worst.
    I won't defend the UI. It's ok sometimes, but it lacks SO MUCH information about what attachments do for a particular weapon, the colorblind mode is borked (I'm colorblind, I need it to work - here's a hint BLACK, YELLOW, BLUE), the mini-map is the wrong shape, the squad markers clog up the screen... ugh. The UI needs fixing badly.
  10. Infantry movement speed too high. Not weighty enough. Essentially soliders move like they're characters in Unreal Tournament or Quake Live, jumpshots included. This is to detriment of tactical gameplay. Why move from cover to cover, when you can just flank the enemy in 3 seconds flat? Each and every jarhead is Micheal Fucking Johnson!
    I think the sprint speed movement is about right ... it feels odd with the sprint perk, but hey that's why it's a perk.
  11. Limited movement. Cannot pull myself up a chest-high ledge. Getting in and out of a window is a flippin exercise everytime. Thought BF3 would finally fix that - vault animation and such. Rather than expand and streamline our movement repertoire, vault fucked with what we could do, whilst adding nothing to the table. Climbing a chesthigh obstacle? Still impossible! Getting in and out of a window, or doing anything with a little finesse, like jumping on a narrow ledge? Vault sure doesn't help with that either. What it did is fuck up hitboxes something fierce.
    I think you're right to a degree. No other shooter, IMHO, makes you feel like you're in the world as much as BF3. You can climb onto a jeep while someone else drives it, mount rubble and hide in destroyed buildings... I know what you mean to an extent, but I still think it's better than other shooters like CoD which feels like a camera with a gun.
  12. Fall damage. Too inconsistent and too much fall damage. Dying to non-lethal amounts of fall damage feels silly and is highly aggravating. Any per se non-fatal fall should be incapable to kill.
    It sucks. I hate running, then for no reason gliding, then getting hurt, then getting shot, then dying. All because I like sprinting. But to be fair, it's 10,000x better now. Fall damage and the height you can fall from seem fine now.
  13. Any and all lock-on warfare, other than onto jets. Lock-on warfare literally killed tank warfare. It's the worst.
    If you're driving a tank without anti-lock on defenses that's the price you pay. I always use smoke and it recharges pretty quickly. Ever ground vehicle except jeeps has counter measures... you sacrifice another perk, but it's worth it IMHO.
  14. Indirect gadgets like the mortar or SOFLAM. Boring to play. Boring to counter. Just boring.
    The SOFLAM sucks to carry if no one will use it, and the mortar is lame in deathmatch. BUT the mortar can only be deployed out of the respawn zone, so now it's a support weapon. Smoke is super handy if a team of assault classes are storming a flag. But yeah, the SOFLAM is hit and miss. It does it's job, but you need be to team up with someone to get the best use of it.
  15. Dependency mechanics like SOFLAM & Javelin. Again boring. If done correctly however, too powerful.
    I liked this! It means that a sniper can spot and setup targets while an engineer takes out the armoured units. And I'd argue the Javelin has it's uses with the SOFLAM. It's brilliant on jeeps! The SOFLAM is for taking out choppers, and frankly a good chopper pilot with a competent gunner is still the most over-powered weapon in the whole game.
  16. TV missles are a plague on proper chopper warfare. At least what I consider to be proper. Gunners sniping at each other from across the map with TV missles isn't it.
    TV Missile is extremely nerfed now. When it's fired the chopper is a sitting duck. They're weaker than most missiles too.
  17. Tank rounds fly too fast and too true, adjusting aim according to movement speed is no longer necessary, nor is it much harder to hit a moving tank - yet again a skill stifling measure, turning ace tank commandeering skills nigh worthless.
    I'd argue that tanks are as veurnable as they are strong. You can devastate a camping enemy or control a flag from a distance -- but any engineer or support class worth a damn will take out a tank. If you're a tank going up against three engineers you're screwed. Out of my 280 hours I've put 100+ into the tank... if it's a 1v1 tank battle it all comes down to skill.
  18. Last but not least, I hate Battlefield 3 for the lack of trying. I hate the spawn system for not trying to spawn me away from the enemy like it did in prior entries to the franchise. I hate careless shit like the scout chopper's HUD being the exact same color as the sky on Markaz Monolith, making aiming a bitch. I hate the lack of rearview in vehicles. I hate all the little shit which drives me up the walls, because I am already in a pissy mood because of all the other more substantial shit I don't like about the game.
    Vehicles have rearview (?) I mean you can look behind. I think a proper mirror may have caused a lot of bugs as the glass cracks (guessing here).

This list is not meant to be a comprehensive list, just a taste of my hate for BF3's design particulars. Don't get me wrong, I love Battlefield 3 as well, for being a Battlefield game. Looking at it from a detached perspective, it should be the best game ever made. In the heat of battle however, so much of what it does is opposed to my preferences, that it's an evercascading wave of hatred that washes over me. I hate it sooo much!
Hate is such a strong word. But if I relate it to my own perspective - I think Saints Row The Third is boring and everyone (almost!) loves it. You don't have to love Battlefield 3 though ... I just think it's one of my all-time favourite games. But there's a ton of shit they need to fix for the next one ... and I'm worried they won't

We'll see... maybe we'll meet in the middle on the next game :)

^^ Figured I'd answer your criticisms. All IMHO of course... nothing personal meant at all.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crisis 2 and all things Halo

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By ScreamingGhost

Echo the Dolphin

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#166  Edited By Seppli

@pandabear said:

@seppli said:

@pandabear said:

@seppli said:

Mine's Battlefield 3. Nothing even comes close. I love Battlefield. I played the shit out of Battlefield 3 despite my hatred for it. Everytime I turn it on, it takes at least 10 hours of constant rage 'til I've sufficiently vented my frustration with pretty much each and every design particular of this game, so that I can somewhat enjoy it for the Battlefield game it is. But god, do I ever hate this game. So fucking much. Black tar of hatred is oozing from my soul everytime I touch it.

So what's your most hated game ever? Remember - there's no hate, if there isn't love as well.

Why the hatred? Just curious what your reasons are. I love the shit out of that game. THE SHIT.... OUT OF...

Don't get me started. Oh well, now it's too late. I'm sure this list won't be anything comprehensive, but here we go....

1. Suppression. Skill stifling mechanic. Reduces viability of reactive actions with screen blur and deviation increase. Increases viablity of spray and pray. Destroys balance in favor of high rate of fire weapons. Why blur these fine graphics? Suppression is a cowardice simulation system. I'm playing Battlefield to act the hero. My direction, if I'd be forced to implent a mechanic to the game, when being fired upon? I'd go for the opposite. Instead of suppression I'd go for combat high. Increasingly desaturate picture when under fire whilst simultaneously starting to highlight/outline/silhouette all enemies in sight and turn each and every ballistic projectile into a tracer round. Of course I'd rather have neither.
    If you hate suppression you take the anti-suppression perk. Without suppression the assualt class wins, every time. The best players in the world are usually assault and usually running with an M16A3, AEK-971 a FAMAS (back in the day) or an F2000. They have the best main weapons - low recoil, high damage, big fire rate... support guys get heavy slow guns with huge rates of fire that jump around. To counter that they deploy a stand (taking up time) and can't move, then have to unmount it to run. Suppression is to give the guys with the big guns a chance to slow down a team of assaults with those accurate, deadly guns. It's also fair enough that someone being shot at should feel some sort of anxiety and if you're hit you take an accuracy hit. i dunno, I'm ok with it I guess. Well - I like my guns well balanced and competitive through the board, and whilst there always were stronger and weaker guns, Suppression really did set the whole weapon balance askew in favor of stronger high Rate of Fire weapons. Together with the roughly 20% shorter Time to Kill, gunplay's a no skill twitch run and gun mess.
  2. Unnatural desaturation of colors. Extreme desaturation of colors when hurt.
    That's a matter of taste ... but the base maps are too grey ... though some of the coastal maps are cool. But yes, some more life would be nice. Maybe a little sun! I prefer the gameplay to pop like it's a colorful 80s action flick, rather than it being muddy and confusing aping the blue tinted overexposed digitally distorted look of Michael Mann movies.
  3. Unnatural overexposure. Lights too bright. Shadows too dark.
    Agreed for sure! Too dark, too bright, no middle ground ... the game looks cool, but I'd prefer a more "realistic" look over this "gritty movie-like realism". Fuck the dark as tar shadows. Fuck the screenfilling sun glare and lens flares. Fuck it all to hell.
  4. Too few tracer rounds. Inconsistent muzzle flash (and not enough of it to begin with).
    Different guns, different flash. A SV98 is like a torch blasting in the distance, but you can cover up the muzzle flash with a flash suppressor. I don't know though, this issue hasn't bothered me much. I prefer the elegance of simplicity. Bad Company 1 got it right. Every gun had highly visible muzzle flash and pretty much every round was a tracer. When you shot your gun, you knew the enemy knew and the enemy knew what's happening. Stealth was the priviledge of a stealth specific kit, and trigger discipline actually meant something, because you could go loud and not automatically show up on the minimap (if the enemy failed to see muzzle flash and tracers, then that's fair game - the game happend on center screen, and not on the fucking minimap), and that's how it makes the most sense to me gameplay-wise. No need for 2D audiospotting and scope glint and other dumbass crutches.
  5. Suppression for every weapon and every kit. Removing visual and audio gun rapport at random for any kit. Distorting clarity of feedback.
    If you mean every weapon has suppression then yes, that's only fair. If you mean every weapon sounds the same with a suppressor you're flat out wrong - a silenced shotgun, pistol, rilfe, machine gun all sound different. I can hear the clicks of a silenced A-91 over the pop of a SCAR-H... they may vary less, but hey they're suppressed to reduce noise. Again, I miss the elegance of simplicity. Gun rapport has become so muddy and unreliable because of the wide availablity of suppressors and silencers and lacking muzzle flash and too few tracer rounds, DICE had to add systems to circumvent the lack of proper feedback, and all of that sucks in comparison to actual on-screen/in the speakers in-game feedback.
  6. The overall quality of visual and audio feedback is horrid by design because of aforementioned points 2.-5. Suppression doesn't help the overall clarity of what's going on either.
    I think the game looks brilliant! The physics alone are impressive... but the scale and detail. I love it. But you'r right about it being too gritty and washed out. A little colour would be nice. Not talking looks, I'm talking of visual feedback queues - like muzzle flash, tracer rounds, vapor/smoke trails, audio feedback, vision often blurred by suppression and being in a hurt state, audio feedback distorted by suppression and being in a hurt state. Sacrificing playability and clarity on the altar of immersion, without actually making the experience more immersive at all - just cold and impersonal. Hell staring at the minimap for feedback queues is more important than ever, and that piece of shit is less functional than ever. So flippin' counterintuitive design.
  7. The lack of feedback and clarity of what's going on in-game is forcing unnatural systems like 2D-audio spotting, where a single unsuppressed shot gives away your position and heading on the minimap, making any kind of stealth and trigger discipline with an unsuppressed weapon a joke - yet another skill stifling measure. Scope glint is a similar byproduct of muddied feedback by design - a countermeasure made necessary by a design direction I hate.
    Scope glint sucks, but if you're up against a sniper whose a 14-yr old with 90 hours a week to play this game you're pretty thankful you get ANY indication of where they are. And once again, unsuppresed shot show up on the map. That's the rule. Fire a gun in real life and tell me people wouldn't know where you are. If you change was implemented then suppressors become useless. Some guns need only one shot. If you want to play aggressive stealth slap a silencer on an A-91 with a foregrip. The trade off it range and bullet velocity. That's a fair trade of in my opinion. I guess I made my point by now. I prefer the elegance of simplicity, and in-game feedback clarity over stupid systems like 2D-audio spotting (increasing the importance of the minimap for vital feedback queues) and scope glint.
  8. Kits and vehicle customization too fractioned. Core kit functionalities like repair torches and med kits are optional, same goes for key vehicular countermeasure - making all of it too muddy. A quick kit swap to heal up? Repair vehicle? Forget about it. You never know what you get. Customization went overboard. If it was me responsible for kit design and balance, core kit abilities and basic vehicular countermeasures would be fixed and not optional, like the aforementioned ones.
    See I think it comes back to making each class versatile but unique. An engineer shouldn't HAVE to carry a repair tool. I mean I ditch it for the mines to hold down a flag. And an Assualt class has to carry the revive defibrillators, but can ditch the heal pack to carry a grenade launcher... making them more aggressive. If you force people to carry equipment like repair tools you make them useless on maps where they're better off defending with mines. Again - the elegance of simplicity. And I am not talking of an either/or-proposal. I'm talking of every vehicle having standard countermeasures and every kit having all their core tools and gadgets regardless of customization. More complete loadsouts with customization being purely about added functionality, and not core functionality. For example the engineer kit always has the repair tool & mines & a rocket launcher of his choice or the assault kit always has the defib & med pack & underslung GL or Masterkey of his choice. Every suitable vehicle having smoke/flares ontop of whatever customizations there are (BF4's vehicles will be that way). More consistent and more capable kits & vehicles equals more simplicity, more elegance, more informed gameplay at all times - equals better gameplay overall.
  9. I hate the blue in blue UI and HUD, that's scaled poorly to anything but 720p rendering resolution. Useless minimap. Useless UI. Obstructive HUD. The worst.
    I won't defend the UI. It's ok sometimes, but it lacks SO MUCH information about what attachments do for a particular weapon, the colorblind mode is borked (I'm colorblind, I need it to work - here's a hint BLACK, YELLOW, BLUE), the mini-map is the wrong shape, the squad markers clog up the screen... ugh. The UI needs fixing badly. I'd love if they'd lose all obstructive HUD elements in favor of silhuetting/outlining HUD, and all HUD being a toggle. Minimap needs massive improvements, isometric GPS-style look would be awesome and if done right, 1000x more functional.
  10. Infantry movement speed too high. Not weighty enough. Essentially soliders move like they're characters in Unreal Tournament or Quake Live, jumpshots included. This is to detriment of tactical gameplay. Why move from cover to cover, when you can just flank the enemy in 3 seconds flat? Each and every jarhead is Micheal Fucking Johnson!
    I think the sprint speed movement is about right ... it feels odd with the sprint perk, but hey that's why it's a perk. I'd prefer more weighty and momentum based movement speed, slower and less reactive. Emphasizing tactical use of cover and face-off battles over crazy high speed flanking. A slight increase of Time to Kill would likely be a necessary change to really make it mesh.
  11. Limited movement. Cannot pull myself up a chest-high ledge. Getting in and out of a window is a flippin exercise everytime. Thought BF3 would finally fix that - vault animation and such. Rather than expand and streamline our movement repertoire, vault fucked with what we could do, whilst adding nothing to the table. Climbing a chesthigh obstacle? Still impossible! Getting in and out of a window, or doing anything with a little finesse, like jumping on a narrow ledge? Vault sure doesn't help with that either. What it did is fuck up hitboxes something fierce.
    I think you're right to a degree. No other shooter, IMHO, makes you feel like you're in the world as much as BF3. You can climb onto a jeep while someone else drives it, mount rubble and hide in destroyed buildings... I know what you mean to an extent, but I still think it's better than other shooters like CoD which feels like a camera with a gun. Yet in CoD you can pull yourself up a ledge. Crysis 2/3 got the ledge grab thing right. Toned down to feel believable in the context of a modern warfare setting, that's what I expect from a modern Battlefield game by the developers who brought us Mirror's Edge. Still no word on it yet, guess more organic and liberating movement won't make BF4 either.
  12. Fall damage. Too inconsistent and too much fall damage. Dying to non-lethal amounts of fall damage feels silly and is highly aggravating. Any per se non-fatal fall should be incapable to kill.
    It sucks. I hate running, then for no reason gliding, then getting hurt, then getting shot, then dying. All because I like sprinting. But to be fair, it's 10,000x better now. Fall damage and the height you can fall from seem fine now. Fall damage is less broken since the patch, it's still plenty broken however. I can't count the times I've taken 60+% damage from a two feet drop (or died to such a thing). No soldier dies of a two foot jump, it just feels silly to the point of being aggravating.
  13. Any and all lock-on warfare, other than onto jets. Lock-on warfare literally killed tank warfare. It's the worst.
    If you're driving a tank without anti-lock on defenses that's the price you pay. I always use smoke and it recharges pretty quickly. Ever ground vehicle except jeeps has counter measures... you sacrifice another perk, but it's worth it IMHO. Read your argument again, and realize that you made the best argument for why it's bad design. Smoke is pretty much the only choice on most maps, so really it being a customization option makes no sense. It has to be standard equipment.
  14. Indirect gadgets like the mortar or SOFLAM. Boring to play. Boring to counter. Just boring.
    The SOFLAM sucks to carry if no one will use it, and the mortar is lame in deathmatch. BUT the mortar can only be deployed out of the respawn zone, so now it's a support weapon. Smoke is super handy if a team of assault classes are storming a flag. But yeah, the SOFLAM is hit and miss. It does it's job, but you need be to team up with someone to get the best use of it. The key to understanding my hatred for stuff like SOFLAM, MAV, Mortar, EOD and so forth is that it's boring to play. Boring. Boring to do it. Boring to counter it. It's taking boots off the field and into impersonal niches. Impersonal warfare is no fun to me. For example, did I ever enjoy shooting at a MAV or EOD? Not once.
  15. Dependency mechanics like SOFLAM & Javelin. Again boring. If done correctly however, too powerful.
    I liked this! It means that a sniper can spot and setup targets while an engineer takes out the armoured units. And I'd argue the Javelin has it's uses with the SOFLAM. It's brilliant on jeeps! The SOFLAM is for taking out choppers, and frankly a good chopper pilot with a competent gunner is still the most over-powered weapon in the whole game. No - it's bullshit warfare. It's indirect and dependency-driven, rather than direct and skill-driven. It's just one more thing that'll get you killed without ever having had a face-to-face fight with the guy that killed you. Bullshit gameplay. I much prefer small arms damage against choppers. If you've ever played BF:BC 1 or BF:BC 2 Vietnam (only on consoles, because choppers were way squisher to small arms in the console version), you'd appreciate how much mastery it'll take for a chopper crew to be dominating, whilst each and every boot and asset on the ground is a serious threat to the chopper. And it's always direct, and not instantaneous, no beep-beep-beep lock-on warfare bullcrap, you see me and I see you and we fight. May the best man win. I've taken down scores of soldiers doging RPGs and outgunning them, and I've routinely soloed choppers with nothing but an LMG. Extremely rewarding and empowering, regardless on what side of the equation I'm on.
  16. TV missles are a plague on proper chopper warfare. At least what I consider to be proper. Gunners sniping at each other from across the map with TV missles isn't it.
    TV Missile is extremely nerfed now. When it's fired the chopper is a sitting duck. They're weaker than most missiles too. Doesn't change that it's still impersonal bullshit warfare, sniping at each other and ground assets across the map. It's the very nature of the TV missle that's so shit. It encourages boring impersonal detached warfare.
  17. Tank rounds fly too fast and too true, adjusting aim according to movement speed is no longer necessary, nor is it much harder to hit a moving tank - yet again a skill stifling measure, turning ace tank commandeering skills nigh worthless.
    I'd argue that tanks are as veurnable as they are strong. You can devastate a camping enemy or control a flag from a distance -- but any engineer or support class worth a damn will take out a tank. If you're a tank going up against three engineers you're screwed. Out of my 280 hours I've put 100+ into the tank... if it's a 1v1 tank battle it all comes down to skill. My argument is not about how strong or weak tanks are, but about the height of the skill ceiling. Slower projectiles with more drop that deviate off-mark depending on relative heading and speed to the target enable and encourage evasive manouvers and make it much harder to hit a moving target, respectively to hit a target when moving. Tank warfare has become mostly longrange and static because of lock-on warfare and the way tank ballistics is handled. It's a no skill shit show. I routinely outmanouvered and outgunned superior numbers in previous iterations of Battlefield, not so in BF3 - it's just balanced to allow for such a thing to occur.
  18. Last but not least, I hate Battlefield 3 for the lack of trying. I hate the spawn system for not trying to spawn me away from the enemy like it did in prior entries to the franchise. I hate careless shit like the scout chopper's HUD being the exact same color as the sky on Markaz Monolith, making aiming a bitch. I hate the lack of rearview in vehicles. I hate all the little shit which drives me up the walls, because I am already in a pissy mood because of all the other more substantial shit I don't like about the game.
    Vehicles have rearview (?) I mean you can look behind. I think a proper mirror may have caused a lot of bugs as the glass cracks (guessing here). Every Battlefield game prior to BF3 had a proper rearview (pop a key to see behind you). BF3 was a rushjob, the engine wasn't ready yet (evident by the blackscreen everytime you enter or leave a vehicle, and they've never bothered to explain it, or patch it up to snuff). Same goes for the spawning. It's just all random without even trying to write an algorythm to prevent ridiculous spawns from happening (they alway at least tried before). And so forth and so forth. BF4 being such an obvious iteration to BF3, I'm hoping all this careless shit is reduced back to regular BF levels of sloppiness, which already is way beyond normal industry standards - Battlefield games are always supremely ambitious, and it always shows by how rough it is around the edges, BF3 was just way worse in that regard)

This list is not meant to be a comprehensive list, just a taste of my hate for BF3's design particulars. Don't get me wrong, I love Battlefield 3 as well, for being a Battlefield game. Looking at it from a detached perspective, it should be the best game ever made. In the heat of battle however, so much of what it does is opposed to my preferences, that it's an evercascading wave of hatred that washes over me. I hate it sooo much!
Hate is such a strong word. But if I relate it to my own perspective - I think Saints Row The Third is boring and everyone (almost!) loves it. You don't have to love Battlefield 3 though ... I just think it's one of my all-time favourite games. But there's a ton of shit they need to fix for the next one ... and I'm worried they won't
We'll see... maybe we'll meet in the middle on the next game :)

^^ Figured I'd answer your criticisms. All IMHO of course... nothing personal meant at all.

Answers filled in. Cursive and underlined. I hate BF3 so much, I'll happily keep on arguing and venting.

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it would be either Metal Gear Solid 4 or Soul Calibur 4. Both are from franchises I used to care about, both made me feel ripped off and insulted once I started playing them, and they both came out around the same time.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I have no hate in my heart. I've had games that never clicked for me, but never hate.

Examples of games that didn't click for me are

• Half Life 2 ( I completed the game, but didn't really care enough to continue to episode 1 or 2. I may have not liked it, but I still can see what it did for the larger medium as a whole. )
  • Shadows of the Damned ( I played most of the game right up until the last chapter. In the end, I really didn't care for the gameplay, visual aesthetic, or general atmosphere. )
  • The whole Max Payne series. ( I like the Noir, but not the gamepley. )
  • Grand Theft Auto 4 ( Not much else to say other than I didn't care for it.

There have been games though that didn't originally click with me, but after another chance they went on to be some of my favorites.

• Oblivion ( When I first played it, I immediately became overwhelmed with the amount of freedom and was completely turned off. About a month before Skyrim, I went back and started playing it again. It slowly grew on me and eventually it turned into love. That same love was transferred into my 200 hour + Skyrim playthrough. Although I only played about thirty hours, a minuscule play time for an Elder Scrolls game, I still highly regard it.)
  • Dark Souls ( In late 2011, in the midst of so many fantastic releases, I picked up Dark souls. This decision was entirely fueled by morbid curiosity and a compulsion to play as many games as I was able. Now before even trying it out, I'd heard a lot about it's predecessor Demon's Souls, so I had some idea of what to expect. After giving it a chance for about six hours, I became disenchanted. There was hardly any direction and the gameplay was severely oppressive. I came back around a year or so later and gave it another chance. There had been enough time for people to figure it out and I was able to get a much better grasp on the overall game from reading a lot of forums and Faqs. Ever since that second chance, I've absolutely loved the game and understand why it's so well beloved. )
Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan:

Very similar to you in some respects. I initially hated Dark Souls and said it was a bad game and wasn't fun. I left it for a while, came back and everything clicked. I just couldn't take myself away from it. Exploring a world which subtle clues of what happened as opposed to long exposition and a real challenge in games. Lots of freedom and lots of ways to really play the game. I just thought it was a great game and one my favourite of this generation.

I hated HL2 when I played it and said it was boring. This was on the PS3 however and when I played it on 360, I played it in 2 sittings probably. Thought it was also a great game in 2010, but considering it was a 2004 game, it still held up remarkably well.

I find the Max Payne games boring. I can see some quality elements, but it didn't click for me.

But my most hated game (of this gen) is without a doubt - Resident Evil 5. I couldn't get into it for the life of me. Felt incredibly stiff and the game felt very stagnant. I just could not get into it with repeated attempts.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@themanwithnoplan:

But my most hated game (of this gen) is without a doubt - Resident Evil 5. I couldn't get into it for the life of me. Felt incredibly stiff and the game felt very stagnant. I just could not get into it with repeated attempts.

I completely agree. I didn't vehemently hate it, but it really wasn't my cup of tea. I played about an hour or two and left it be.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#171  Edited By pr1mus

The Walking Dead. The Telltale one.

It's the only game i can say i thoroughly hate that i finished. In large part this is because the problems that sinks this games don't necessarily become apparent until you get half-way through and at that point i guess you might as well see the whole thing. Maybe things will turn around... but it never happened. I can think of many worst games than this but none among those i finished.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#172  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@jdh5153 said:

Pokemon

Any other Japanese game / anime game / cartoon game.

The anime is based on the games. It does a very poor job of portraying the Pokemon world too.

I have a lot of hate for Oblivion for pretty much dumbing down the RPG genre as a whole and any game that tries to be overly cinematic at the expense of actual gameplay. Last of Us, Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire being pretty bad offenders (although I'll give the latter credit for at least having some good ideas).