What the fuck is Midway? (Importance of Names)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince

Me and my friend were talking about what we would like to call our own companies in the future and we were looking at current game and movie company names. A name in itself is super important and really is the thing that gives a possible developer or client it's first impression. Here was a couple of companies and what we thought about the names:

ILM (Industrial Light and Magic):Awesome. Seriously, the name it self is like a masterpiece, and now that they are popular their names is everywhere in the business.

Crystal Dynamics: Also cool. It just sounds awesome doesn't it?

Ubisoft:Again, it has an alluring quality.

Insomniac:Crazy for games?

Naughty Dog:Another name that just sounds cool.

Rockstar: Need I say more?

Ninja Theory:Those crafty ninja's appear again!

Infinity Ward:Reach for the sky? Infinite possibilities!

SoftimageX:Nothing cooler then an X right?

Which brings me to my main point... What the fuck kind of name is Midway? What's that make you think of? "Hi, come and ask us to develop you new IP, we'll go Midway with it and then rush that shit out that door... Don't go to that Maxway there..." Seriously? Midway? What kind of name is that...?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

To me, the name Midway suggests a fair or a circus. A fitting name for a company that makes games intended to be fun.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

there are islands called midway, thats what it reminds me of.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince
StaticFalconar said:
"there are islands called midway, thats what it reminds me of."
Interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Theres a restaraunt in my town called Midway, maybe they stole the name from them : O

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shadows_kill

midway...maybe they make the middle part of the game then quit?

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DXSSI

I actually have to disagree on a lot of those names.

ILM: I'd never heard of ILM before, so I Googled them to find out what they do.  I guess I'm not surprised, but "industrial light" had me thinking they might do office electrical work, although the "magic" part admittedly had me baffled.  Also, ILM sounds like the kind of sound effect I might make after horking up a wad of phlegm after eating some bad Mexican food.

Ubisoft: This one just seems weird to me.  Okay, they're a software company, but what's an ubi?  Or is that what's a ubi?  Because as I've found out over time, it's pronounced yoo-bee-soft, even though it looks like oo-bee-soft, or maybe even uh-bee-soft.

Insomniac: An insomniac suffers from insomnia, which means you are unable to sleep.  It has nothing to do with "crazy", although I suppose crazy people might have a harder time sleeping than normal folk, I guess.  Anyways, I guess it's supposed to mean "our games are so exciting you'll want to stay up all night and play them", but I'm overtly literal so I've always understood to it mean "our games are so troubling they'll give you a severe psychosomatic disorder" or "we don't sleep so we program games all night instead, and boy does it ever show!"

Rockstar: What's a rock star have to do with video games?  Nothing, that's what.

Now as for Midway, the definition could be a carnival game lineup, as LordAndrew pointed out—but I don't feel it's a good name under those terms.  Have you ever been on a carnival midway?  Those games are cheap—a brief fleeting thrill that quickly expires, and very often rigged making it impossible or near impossible for you to win.  Is that really the image they want associated with their games? Alternatively, it can mean a halfway point.  So, what—their games are only half-finished when they roll out the door?  Neither one evokes a good image.

That's why I don't care at all what the name of the company is, I let their record speak for itself.  Midway, the game company, reminds me of the hours upon hours I've spent playing their arcade classics, and more recently the NFL Blitz franchise.  The name is irreleveant; the experience is what counts.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

Midway reminds oStaticFalconar said:

Battle of Midway in World War II and Space Invaders.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

No offense, but that is you being uninformed. Industrial Light and Magic: Light and magic is usually what is said to be visual trickery. ILM works on visual effects of movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and Iron Man and so on, so visual trickery is indeed what they are good at. I just like the way Ubisoft sounds. Insomniac is a perfect name for a game company for the reasons you said yourself. Rockstar is obvious, I mean they are clearly proclaiming themselves as the Rockstars of the gaming industry. Midway just sounds idiotic. Halfway, or partway is what usually comes to mind, and I say this after asking many people I know, what the first thing they thought of when they heard that name.

E_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By E_rock

Midway is the name of the crappier of the two main airports in Chicago.  I'm pretty sure Midway got started in Chicago as well, connection perhaps? 

Why they would name a arcade company after an airport is beyond me though.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gunswordfist
LiquidPrince said:
"Me and my friend were talking about what we would like to call our own companies in the future and we were looking at current game and movie company names. A name in itself is super important and really is the thing that gives a possible developer or client it's first impression. Here was a couple of companies and what we thought about the names:

ILM (Industrial Light and Magic):Awesome. Seriously, the name it self is like a masterpiece, and now that they are popular their names is everywhere in the business.

Crystal Dynamics: Also cool. It just sounds awesome doesn't it?

Ubisoft:Again, it has an alluring quality.

Insomniac:Crazy for games?

Naughty Dog:Another name that just sounds cool.

Rockstar: Need I say more?

Ninja Theory:Those crafty ninja's appear again!

Infinity Ward:Reach for the sky? Infinite possibilities!

SoftimageX:Nothing cooler then an X right?

Which brings me to my main point... What the fuck kind of name is Midway? What's that make you think of? "Hi, come and ask us to develop you new IP, we'll go Midway with it and then rush that shit out that door... Don't go to that Maxway there..." Seriously? Midway? What kind of name is that...?

"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That shyet was hilarious!!! Out of those names, I say RockStar sounds the coolest. And how did you forget to mention PlatinumGames?!...okay they haven't released a game yet so it's not a good example.

Anyway, names are VERY important. Names draw people's attention and its the first thing people say when they have their games come on.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

I must agree. I've always thought Midway's name basically admitted that all their games were only half arsed.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoG

It's like an arcade, circus related term. That's all I know.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gunswordfist
HandsomeDead said:
"I must agree. I've always thought Midway's name basically admitted that all their games were only half arsed."

hehe I'm surprised all you guys think that. I never thought about that.

Also, LiquidPrince, if you had to come up with a name for a game company, what would it be like?
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PureRok
LiquidPrince said:
"No offense, but that is you being uninformed. Industrial Light and Magic: Light and magic is usually what is said to be visual trickery. ILM works on visual effects of movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and Iron Man and so on, so visual trickery is indeed what they are good at. I just like the way Ubisoft sounds. Insomniac is a perfect name for a game company for the reasons you said yourself. Rockstar is obvious, I mean they are clearly proclaiming themselves as the Rockstars of the gaming industry. Midway just sounds idiotic. Halfway, or partway is what usually comes to mind, and I say this after asking many people I know, what the first thing they thought of when they heard that name."
I've never heard of ILM either.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince
PureRok said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"No offense, but that is you being uninformed. Industrial Light and Magic: Light and magic is usually what is said to be visual trickery. ILM works on visual effects of movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and Iron Man and so on, so visual trickery is indeed what they are good at. I just like the way Ubisoft sounds. Insomniac is a perfect name for a game company for the reasons you said yourself. Rockstar is obvious, I mean they are clearly proclaiming themselves as the Rockstars of the gaming industry. Midway just sounds idiotic. Halfway, or partway is what usually comes to mind, and I say this after asking many people I know, what the first thing they thought of when they heard that name."
I've never heard of ILM either."
 Essentially any movie that has had breathtaking visual effects was done by ILM. They're the biggest visual effect house around and work on all of the Spielberg Lucas projects as well as many others.

gunswordfist said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"I must agree. I've always thought Midway's name basically admitted that all their games were only half arsed."

Also, LiquidPrince, if you had to come up with a name for a game company, what would it be like?"

Well, I don't know if you'll believe me but way back a couple of years ago, I was thinking about creating a company called Eat.Sleep.Play, because it's the direct translation of a Farsi saying people say to their kids. It's like all you do is eat, sleep and play... I always liked that name, but recently I found out that David Jaffe named his company that, so I was like damn. Currently I really don't know what I'd name my company. Maybe something liike Avid Works or Avidsoft. Avid is my name, and if you read the definition of the word, it makes sense.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, doesnt the term Midway have something to do with arcades? Which is what Midway started off doing?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince
TheGTAvaccine said:
"Yeah, doesnt the term Midway have something to do with arcades? Which is what Midway started off doing?"

The definition you are talking about refers to the point half way through a carnival where you may get refreshments and play crappy little games.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Black_Rose

Midway reminds me of the WWII battle.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StaticFalconar
Claude said:
"Midway reminds oStaticFalconar said:

Battle of Midway in World War II and Space Invaders."
Ahh, thats why I have that stuck in my head somewhere.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gunswordfist
LiquidPrince said:
gunswordfist said:
"HandsomeDead said:

Also, LiquidPrince, if you had to come up with a name for a game company, what would it be like?"

Well, I don't know if you'll believe me but way back a couple of years ago, I was thinking about creating a company called Eat.Sleep.Play, because it's the direct translation of a Farsi saying people say to their kids. It's like all you do is eat, sleep and play... I always liked that name, but recently I found out that David Jaffe named his company that, so I was like damn. Currently I really don't know what I'd name my company. Maybe something liike Avid Works or Avidsoft. Avid is my name, and if you read the definition of the word, it makes sense.

"

I actually meant to ask DSXXI what would he name a game company but hey at least you got a hot chick in your avatar. lol

Anyway, whenever I make my game company (yes I'm the billionth guy on here to say that but I'll do it!), I believe I got the perfect name for it (don't ask!) Names are very important. People aren't going to pay your company's name any attention if it sucks.
Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lieutenant

Surprised THQ (Toy Headquarters) wasn't mentioned. By far the worst company name I've ever seen/heard.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kmdrkul

Midway, to me, has been synonymous with Mortal Kombat for the past 15 or so years

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DXSSI

What would I name a game company?  Hm.  Don't really know.  Never thought about it before.  If I were ever going to start my own game company, I'd take at least a few days to think it over (probably longer), plus I'd surely have a business plan in mind about where it would be located, what kind of games we'd make, etc., which might help influence my decision.  My main goal would to be to name the company in a manner that actually implies what the company does without directly saying so.

But without any knowledge of such things, I guess I'd just have to go with what sounds cool after a brief brainstorming session.  So here's a few I thought of just now.  Whether or not I'd settle for any of them would depend on whether I still liked them a few days later.

Idea #1. Jamtronics

Okay, this one's not a great start but it's the first thing I thought of.  Being as critical of myself as I was of Rockstar before, jam doesn't really have anything to with gaming, in fact, it sounds like a musical term (or worse, a fruit spread).  The tronics part of the name helps a teensy little bit, but ultimately the two terms combined make it sound like a company that produces or sells electronic musical equipment; keyboards, guitars, keytars and the like.  So it's definitely out.  Also, someone else already has a company named Jamtronics that sells gaming products, so it's doubly out.

Idea #2. ion quest ENTERTAINMENT

I started thinking about what kinds of games I like the most, and would thusly be likely to make.  One answer that came back at me was games with a defined plot, where there's a significant story and a goal.  Thinking about a way to sum that up in a word or two, I arrived at quest.  I decided that Quest Games would simply be too generic, so I began to think about words I could add to quest or build from quest.  Question came to mind, but Question Games just seems like an easily misinterpreted name for a company that wants to sell them.  So then I thought about capitalizing the I and making it QuestIon Games, but besides not making any sense, as I just demonstrated it is indistinguishable from Questlon Games (with a lowercase "L"), which is simply bad branding.  So then I thought about switching the order and making it Ion QuestGames.  What the hell is an Ion Quest?  I don't know.  I do know that ions are electrically charged atoms, so it's a good word to use in the name of a company that makes electronic products.  And the logo could somehow incorporate a question mark, and the marketing could be something along the lines of "challenge your way of thinking", but hopefully catchier; I don't know, I really haven't thought about it in detail, I'm just kind of typing and rambling.  Every company needs an animated logo intro that pops up at the beginning of their games, and Ion Quest Games would probably feature an artist's rendition of an ion, I don't know, doing something like acting as a pinball or other bouncing ball of some type, maybe eventually settling on the I in Ion, although then the company name would be written lowercase: ion quest games.  Maybe the logo would start out as question and the ion would come along and somehow knock ion to the front of the word, as games fades in.  In fact it probably wouldn't be games, it would probably be entertainment because it sounds more sophisticated.  Anyways, it's all a moot point because there is both a band named Ion Quest as well as some crappy cell phone game named Ion's Quest, and even if I could someone score the trademark, I would probably be too proud to do so.

Idea #3. Hop2It Games

So I started thinking about platformers—hop 'n' bop gameplay, we sometimes called it.  I love those kinds of games, but there is a much smaller market for them than ever before, and since I wouldn't have any established characters to work with, my games would need a lot of luck to get off the ground.  Nevertheless, the phrase "hop to it" came to mind, and I spelled it with a "2" like a txtng nrd wud, because I guess that's cool.  But it has the same problem as QuestIon did, with the easily mistaken for an "L" capital letter i, and worse, I intentionally deviated from normal linguistics right before it.  Ugh.  Plus I'm not really sold on the name or the company's mission, so I'll pass on this one.  In addition there seems to be an Australian company with that name, although it probably wouldn't be an impediment to my naming my company that.

Idea #4. DynAmmo Entertainment

I thought of the word "dynamo", which suggests either an electric generator or a hard-working person; a go-getter.  Or, used informally, a great idea.  It's a little generic, though, and there's already a "Dynamo Entertainment", a DJ in DC, so I thought about a little longer and realized that by mispronouncing the word, you get DynAmmo, which I think still gets the point across but is actually available.  However, it does seem like the name of a company geared towards making FPS games and such, and that's probably the last kind of game I'd want to work on.  So I guess it's a candidate, but not one I'd place very high on the list, if I had anything else on the list at this point.

Idea #5. Techno Logic

Funny, I was going to stop after #5 anyways because I'm only doing this for fun, but by jove, I think I've got it!  (Do the kids these days still say "by jove?"  No?  That's a shame.)  Anyways, I thought of technology, then technological, and finally techno logical, before deciding to shorten it just to Techno LogicTechno, of course, evokes thoughts of technology (or repetitive dance music) and Logic is deductive reasoning.  Now, while I wouldn't go and make crummy Brain Age clones, my games would definitely have logical elements to them.  Plus, it's not even trademarked by anyone, and there's only some goofy CD on Amazon.com with the same name, so I'd probably have no problem securing the trademark.  I'd probably also trademark it with an Inc. on the end, as well as Games and Entertainment, just so I could use it any way I wanted.  Of course I could completely change my mind in a few days, or find evidence of some reason not to go with it, but for the moment I'm pretty happy with it.  Now all I have to do is scrape together hundreds of millions of dollars in capital and learn how to program a video game.  Target launch date for the first game is August '09 so I guess I'd better get started. 

HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HiroSeven

I always thought it might have been something akin to

"lets meet up midway or meet you halfway"

Not entierly sure what that might imply since I didn't like most games developed by them (well, those that I played from them).

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Goly
Lieutenant said:
"Surprised THQ (Toy Headquarters) wasn't mentioned. By far the worst company name I've ever seen/heard."
Word,
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#27  Edited By jeff

There's an airport in Chicago (where Midway is) that's also called Midway. I assume it's a local thang.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Shadow

I don't know.  What the hell kind of name is Atari?

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By AspiringAndy

It must have something to do with its arcade beginnings, because that's what Midway started doing first.

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Stanford

Only name it Midway if you want to fail miserably.

starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By starfox444

Midway sounds like one of those independant gas stations to me. If I made a company I'd name it "Black Piano Studios" but I have no idea why. Don't steal my awesome company name.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Considering they started off as a manufacturer of amusement equipment, I'd guess it's named after the midway in a fair.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Snail

Midway reminds me of an energy drink.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EvilTwin

Surprised so many people in this topic don't know who ILM are.  Anyways, I always thought Double Fine was a great name for a developer. 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By weltal

The name of a company is super important? Not really. Look at Blizzard or Valve or Square. These are things. Objects and weather. They most certainly aren't catchy or interesting but what makes them great is the games that are associated with the name. A company could be named PigShit Productions and I'd play their games or watch their movies if they were quality.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KillaMaStA
Snail said:
"Midway reminds me of an energy drink."
Really, i thought all energy drinks were named something like "SUPER BLAST" . Midway sounds boring
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Snail
KillaMaStA said:
"Snail said:
"Midway reminds me of an energy drink."
Really, i thought all energy drinks were named something like "SUPER BLAST" . Midway sounds boring"
I know, but it still reminds me. I don't know why, I guess it sounds like Powerade.
Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Stanford

Midway makes me think that the said object/company is half way between complete failure and just kind of failure

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lebkin

Those who brought up the amusement part references win the prize.  FromWikipedia: "Midway Mfg. Co. began in 1958 as an independent manufacturer of amusement equipment."  As the company transitioned to making video games, they kept their name.

It is always amazing how things that seem common knowledge aren't.  I am surprised by those who have never heard of Industrial Light and Magic.  I bet I could give that name to every gamer I know, and I would get back a general idea of who they are.  But that is probably because the gamers I know also cross over into fans of Star Wars, which ILM was founded to create special effects for. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince
EvilTwin said:
"Surprised so many people in this topic don't know who ILM are.  Anyways, I always thought Double Fine was a great name for a developer. "

I know right!

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Whisperkill

What the hell is a Killzone?

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By gunswordfist
Lieutenant said:
"Surprised THQ (Toy Headquarters) wasn't mentioned. By far the worst company name I've ever seen/heard."

Is that really their name?! Because their acronym sounds too cool to mean something that stupid. lolDXSSI said:
"What would I name a game company?  Hm.  Don't really know.  Never thought about it before.  If I were ever going to start my own game company, I'd take at least a few days to think it over (probably longer), plus I'd surely have a business plan in mind about where it would be located, what kind of games we'd make, etc., which might help influence my decision.  My main goal would to be to name the company in a manner that actually implies what the company does without directly saying so.

But without any knowledge of such things, I guess I'd just have to go with what sounds cool after a brief brainstorming session.  So here's a few I thought of just now.  Whether or not I'd settle for any of them would depend on whether I still liked them a few days later.

Idea #1. Jamtronics

Okay, this one's not a great start but it's the first thing I thought of.  Being as critical of myself as I was of Rockstar before, jam doesn't really have anything to with gaming, in fact, it sounds like a musical term (or worse, a fruit spread).  The tronics part of the name helps a teensy little bit, but ultimately the two terms combined make it sound like a company that produces or sells electronic musical equipment; keyboards, guitars, keytars and the like.  So it's definitely out.  Also, someone else already has a company named Jamtronics that sells gaming products, so it's doubly out.

Idea #2. ion quest ENTERTAINMENT

I started thinking about what kinds of games I like the most, and would thusly be likely to make.  One answer that came back at me was games with a defined plot, where there's a significant story and a goal.  Thinking about a way to sum that up in a word or two, I arrived at quest.  I decided that Quest Games would simply be too generic, so I began to think about words I could add to quest or build from quest.  Question came to mind, but Question Games just seems like an easily misinterpreted name for a company that wants to sell them.  So then I thought about capitalizing the I and making it QuestIon Games, but besides not making any sense, as I just demonstrated it is indistinguishable from Questlon Games (with a lowercase "L"), which is simply bad branding.  So then I thought about switching the order and making it Ion QuestGames.  What the hell is an Ion Quest?  I don't know.  I do know that ions are electrically charged atoms, so it's a good word to use in the name of a company that makes electronic products.  And the logo could somehow incorporate a question mark, and the marketing could be something along the lines of "challenge your way of thinking", but hopefully catchier; I don't know, I really haven't thought about it in detail, I'm just kind of typing and rambling.  Every company needs an animated logo intro that pops up at the beginning of their games, and Ion Quest Games would probably feature an artist's rendition of an ion, I don't know, doing something like acting as a pinball or other bouncing ball of some type, maybe eventually settling on the I in Ion, although then the company name would be written lowercase: ion quest games.  Maybe the logo would start out as question and the ion would come along and somehow knock ion to the front of the word, as games fades in.  In fact it probably wouldn't be games, it would probably be entertainment because it sounds more sophisticated.  Anyways, it's all a moot point because there is both a band named Ion Quest as well as some crappy cell phone game named Ion's Quest, and even if I could someone score the trademark, I would probably be too proud to do so.

Idea #3. Hop2It Games

So I started thinking about platformers—hop 'n' bop gameplay, we sometimes called it.  I love those kinds of games, but there is a much smaller market for them than ever before, and since I wouldn't have any established characters to work with, my games would need a lot of luck to get off the ground.  Nevertheless, the phrase "hop to it" came to mind, and I spelled it with a "2" like a txtng nrd wud, because I guess that's cool.  But it has the same problem as QuestIon did, with the easily mistaken for an "L" capital letter i, and worse, I intentionally deviated from normal linguistics right before it.  Ugh.  Plus I'm not really sold on the name or the company's mission, so I'll pass on this one.  In addition there seems to be an Australian company with that name, although it probably wouldn't be an impediment to my naming my company that.

Idea #4. DynAmmo Entertainment

I thought of the word "dynamo", which suggests either an electric generator or a hard-working person; a go-getter.  Or, used informally, a great idea.  It's a little generic, though, and there's already a "Dynamo Entertainment", a DJ in DC, so I thought about a little longer and realized that by mispronouncing the word, you get DynAmmo, which I think still gets the point across but is actually available.  However, it does seem like the name of a company geared towards making FPS games and such, and that's probably the last kind of game I'd want to work on.  So I guess it's a candidate, but not one I'd place very high on the list, if I had anything else on the list at this point.

Idea #5. Techno Logic

Funny, I was going to stop after #5 anyways because I'm only doing this for fun, but by jove, I think I've got it!  (Do the kids these days still say "by jove?"  No?  That's a shame.)  Anyways, I thought of technology, then technological, and finally techno logical, before deciding to shorten it just to Techno LogicTechno, of course, evokes thoughts of technology (or repetitive dance music) and Logic is deductive reasoning.  Now, while I wouldn't go and make crummy Brain Age clones, my games would definitely have logical elements to them.  Plus, it's not even trademarked by anyone, and there's only some goofy CD on Amazon.com with the same name, so I'd probably have no problem securing the trademark.  I'd probably also trademark it with an Inc. on the end, as well as Games and Entertainment, just so I could use it any way I wanted.  Of course I could completely change my mind in a few days, or find evidence of some reason not to go with it, but for the moment I'm pretty happy with it.  Now all I have to do is scrape together hundreds of millions of dollars in capital and learn how to program a video game.  Target launch date for the first game is August '09 so I guess I'd better get started.  "

I'm always glad to make someone do some heavy thinking with my posts. You brought up a lot of good points. It took my a few years for me to come up with a name for my game company (by game company, I mean game company I wish I could make. lol) It is important to have a name that tries to tell whoever sees it what your company is about within a few words (which is near-impossible lol But its good to try anyway) I tried to do that with a name but put 'Games' at the end to help show that it stands for a game company name and to try to avoid confusion. But I guess the name is really just a reminder about what I would want any games I would create to be about and that would be motivation. Also, the name sounds cool. hehe
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'd like to pint out that EA sounds extremely stupid, but Electronic Arts sounds classy.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gunswordfist

Well its too bad that Electronic Arts isn't classy. Jackasses...

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gunswordfist

Eloquently put, Ravey.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers