what to get?

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JDDrewes

I've never played a skateboarding game before, but watching the Skate 3 demo really intrigued me. So if I was going to get a game, should I wait for Skate 3, just buy Skate 2 now, or buy some other skateboarding game (Tony Hawk I guess) 
Thanks

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tunaburn

some other skateboarding game. if you liked tony hawk youll hate skate. they try to trick you into thinking you might be actually good at skateboarding with their stupid flick the analog sticks instead of using buttons to do tricks. and to me it feels just stupid to have to do a fireball motion with my thumb to do a popshuvit.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ryax

get skate 3, ever since i played the first i said fuck tony hawks, and his games have sucked balls recently so just get skate one, skip 2 and get 3

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By monetarydread

I started with 2 and found it to be frustrating after a while. I hear Skate 1 is better designed and actually tries to teach you the controls properly.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

Try to get your hands on some of the earlier tony hawks games.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't know about Skate 3. From what I could tell with the demo, it looks like more of the same, which isn't such a great thing. Skate 1 is a solid choice and a pretty great game in it's own right. It had it's problems, which still haven't been fixed, but it's only $20 and will provide you with plenty of fun. Skip Skate 2 by all means, it was a lazy sequel that didn't do anything substantial to improve anything. Instead, Skate 2 decided to make things worse.

If you're willing to go back to last gen or the one before, the Tony Hawk games were just awesome. The PS1 era THPS games don't hold up totally well these days, so keep that in mind. I still think Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is the best in the series, but if you've played any of the more recent ones, the lack of spine/hip transfer can make things a little tricky. Otherwise, Tony Hawk's Underground was great and definitely one of the best games in the series. Skip Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, and Tony Hawk's Proving Grounds. If you want to play the last great Tony Hawk game, that would be Tony Hawk's Project 8. It was cool, and if you ask me, it didn't get enough credit.

BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveFart

how about acctually going outside skateboarding instead of buying crappy skateboard games and spend  your money on a real game instead.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tunaburn

yea when i said some other skateboarding game thats just cuz the new tony hawk games blow. the older ones are still awesome as hell.

Scattergories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Scattergories

Skate or Die! for the NES. It was a game with many faults but if you can get past that you can really enjoy the classic nature of this early game that tried to do some very innovative skateboarding beauty. Plus, it initiated that classic phrase uttered by millions!

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By ReyGitano

SSX 3... It's like skateboarding... but without wheels... and snow. SERIOUSLY WHERE IS MY NEW SSX GAME T_T I AM WILLING TO PAY $100.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By spaceturtle

Stay away from Tony dude! He is a bad influence on all games in general. Well, not really. But compared to Skate he should be ashamed of himself. I've played a lot of Tony Hawks games in the past, but ever since I tried out the first Skate, Tony just seemed like a really bad skateboarding game. I've played both Skate games so far, and I'm definitely getting the third. I would also wait for the thrid instalement if I were you. A lot of improvements have been  done and the online stuff has expanded a lot, which makes the third all in all a more desirable game.

- ...I would guess... I mean, I havent played more than the demo, but from what I've picked up on the game it is supposed to be very good. So yeah, go Skate 3, duder!

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JDDrewes
@BraveFart:  
you're on a fucking video game website. Do you post on the Rock Band forums and tell everyone to play a real instrument? Do you post on the Madden forums and tell them to play real professional football? Do you post on the Call of Duty forums and tell them to join the military? 

Anyways, thanks for the help everyone else. I'll probably buy the first Skate off ebay, and see how I like it
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@BraveFart said:
" how about acctually going outside skateboarding instead of buying crappy skateboard games and spend  your money on a real game instead. "
Yep yep. 

Although, watching somebody play a skateboarding game really gets me in the mood to go out and skate.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ArchScabby
@BraveFart said:
" how about acctually going outside skateboarding instead of buying crappy skateboard games and spend  your money on a real game instead. "
Why don't you actually join the military and fight in a real war instead of buying crappy shooters and save your money for when you aren't stupid.