whats the idea behind exclusive demos

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kashif1

why do demos for some multiplats only come on the 360.  i can see no reason for it.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

Sometimes it has less to do with exclusivity as much as it has to do with expense.  Some developers don't want to take the money to produce a demo for PS3s.  Actually, a lot of devs don't like making demos to begin with, but then having to construct one for both systems is an expense they just don't want to take considering the lower adoption rate for the PS3.  That may change over time, but that was one of the excuses I heard from game makers in the past.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
@PenguinDust said:
" Sometimes it has less to do with exclusivity as much as it has to do with expense.  Some developers don't want to take the money to produce a demo for PS3s.  Actually, a lot of devs don't like making demos to begin with, but then having to construct one for both systems is an expense they just don't want to take considering the lower adoption rate for the PS3.  That may change over time, but that was one of the excuses I heard from game makers in the past. "
That would make sense. I don't know for sure but Microsoft may be paying for exclusive demos in some cases too. That would be typical of Microsoft.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@kashif1: I believe the WET demo came out on PSN before it did XBL.
hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By hermes

I remember I read a while ago that, while money from the subscribers (specially gold members) is what keeps XBox Live working, Sony keeps PSN by charging the publishers of the content for the publication on the PSN (and it charges for the downloaded megabytes)... That means, for example, Activision is charged for how many people download the CoD5 demo; and the price is higher the first week or so. 

That would explain why many publishers/developers are less thrilled about making demos for the PSN than XBox Live...
kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By kashif1
@hermes: that makes scene, still annoying though