Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What's wrong with me? (94 votes)

You're stupid 7%
You're old 9%
You're OCD/generally insane 65%
You're ugly 17%

Why do I watch my in-game hours so closely and why do I get all giggly and happy when those hours hit milestones like 100, 200, etc?

I recognize it's weird, but I can't fully enjoy a game unless it tells me how many hours I've played.

I know there's some dysfunction there but, like most of my mainly harmless dipshitery, I shrug my shoulders and accept it.

Still, WTF? Anyone else disproportionately enraptured by hitting the 100 hour mark?

• 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

All four of these options may be true but this particular thing seems to be some sort of OCD-esque neurosis that I'm sure almost everyone has some form of.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Numbers increasing is kind of what video games are, so it's no surprise you like seeing a number go up.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, too, when a game offers to tell me how many hours I've spent playing it, but I can enjoy it just fine if it doesn't, and I don't have any emotional response to hitting any milestones. I don't even think about certain time marks as milestones.

I do, however, take some pride - no, not really, but I guess, adjusted to context, you could call it that - in seeing that I've clocked more hours than averages as reported on How Long to Beat in games I really enjoy. That's because I like to take my time and enjoy the little things in the environment and all the details and effort artists have put in them, and immersing myself as much as possible in the game world, so when I see that it's taken me longer than average to complete something, I think to myself "I've done a good appreciating this game" and feel a little warm inside. My most recent example here is the Witcher 3, which I completed (both expansions included) after 261 hours, when the average on hltb seems to be 191. I also remember clocking 22h22m14s for the Last of Us, which got a groan out of me for not looking at that tree for 8 more seconds :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9
deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I rarely ever hit triple digit hours spent in a game unless it's an MMO and even then 20% of that is probably idle time.
I bounce around way too much between games. That said I can get a kick out of just seeing that I've put 20+ hours into a game. I guess it's a sense of having put an amount of time and "effort" into something. Even if that "effort" amounted to me just laying in bed and pressing buttons, which is not really an effort.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably something to do with feeling you're getting good value proposition out of the game you bought and the money you spent. Personally it's a little depressing sometimes when I look and see 700 hours of Overwatch played... or 10,000 hours of EverQuest... you know?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a side-note: Steam and Xbox track hours spent for each game (so that's not dependant on any ingame time tracking).

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7 MattyFTM  Moderator

As someone who doesn't usually stick with one game for very long, I like seeing my playtime number hit milestones for the games I do play a lot of. It's nice to see that I've actually put a lot of hours into a game for a change.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I also like seeing that I've put time into a game. It means that I can still gather enough focus and energy to stick to one thing, instead of being distracted by the zillions of things around me fighting for my attention. It feels healthier to enjoy one thing to completion than to dabble in a bunch of things and never get much out of any of them.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I don't usually pay attention, but you just made me look.

No Caption Provided

Fuck. What the hell did all that time come from? Probably back when I used to be into trading items. Still, it's a lot more than I expected.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm the opposite, and feel guilty or bad when I calculate how many full days of my life I've spent playing a game. Different strokes.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah I like keeping track of my playtime just to know. And when you are at like 296h in a multiplayer game I definitely want to do those last 4 just to get to 300. :P

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes when I start and stop a game however many hours in, once I decided to replay it from the beginning months/years later, I wish I could reset the time to give a more accurate reading on Steam.

I've looked into resetting Steam play times, and it's a bigger hassle than it's worth.