When did irrelevant site-skin ads become a part of Giantbomb?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#151  Edited By Dagbiker

I say that with the highest amount of respect.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By alternate
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#153  Edited By LordAndrew

@geirr said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

If you don't like it, then become a paying subscriber. I know that might not be an option (I know I'm not a paying subscriber solely because of lack of funds), but that's the way it is.

I don't like it and I am a paying subscriber. The subscriptions did not feel this forced when they were announced way back when.

(edited a typo)

I like the video where they depicted non-subscribers as second-class citizens. Also, the podcast thing.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By Carryboy

@LordAndrew: What video podcast thing was this? (sorry i dont listen to the podcast.)

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#155  Edited By Superkenon

Yellow front page?

I'll never love again.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#156  Edited By sjschmidt93

CBSi did this I would imagine.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#157  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Brodehouse said:

Was all that great talk about 'community driven, we're in a relationship with you, not advertisers' was that just to get a metric so you could then sell to advertisers?

It would appear so, though it's more likely due to CBSi's purchase. That talk came from Whiskey Media, Long Live The King!

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#158  Edited By CosmicQueso

Wow, businesses trying to make money? THE SHOCK AND SHAME!

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#159  Edited By Ace829

So I just took a screen shot of the ad with the infamous black text on white background layout, and behold!

Not as bad as I was expecting, but I still hope I don't permanently blind anyone.
Not as bad as I was expecting, but I still hope I don't permanently blind anyone.
Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Carryboy

@CosmicQueso said:

GBDF ASSEMBLE.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Tesla

Giant Bomb was so much cooler when it was underground. Corporate shills, etc. Yawn.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#162  Edited By CosmicQueso

@Carryboy said:

@CosmicQueso said:

GBDF ASSEMBLE.

Oh fuck off with that shit, and with the "white knight" bullshit. It's a fucking business. Grow up.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#163  Edited By Humanity

@CosmicQueso said:

The shock and shame is from the promises of not having exactly these sort of ads by said business.

clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By clapperdude

@tsiro: Thanks for the info! Unfortunately none of that is relevant to what I'm talking about.

My point was that its nothing like stealing like someone else said. Like not even close. And, if GB doesn't want people to 'press mute' or 'change the channel' then they need to be displaying content that makes sense for their viewers. And hey...like you said its 'easy' to tell what type of people view their site...so should be a breeze! Maybe with all the analytics they'll be able to figure out this crowd likes games.

PS I don't use adblocker -- but with vomit inducing ads like these it makes me think about it :)

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#165  Edited By Rave
@Dagbiker Why would using an ad blocker make you a scrub? I have never bought anything off of an Internet ad. I consider myself an educated consumer so if I never use these ads to determine my purchasing decision me seeing them does not help the ad. Is there a way of the advertisers knowing that the ad isn't displaying for me? So they don't pay Giantbomb? I'm guessing the go by non subscriber traffic or clicks on the ad and give CBS a cut.

Knowing that shit like this is passed on to non-subscribing members sucks. I don't mind tasteful ads or ads before videos but ugly detracting eye sites like this piss me off.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#166  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@Twistation said:

By allowing these ads on their site, they have already compromised their integrity in a way. They said this site was going to be free of ads, but obviously they have not stuck to their guns

They have never, ever said that there wouldn't be ads on the site. Advertising was always a key part of the site's business model. And there have been ads on the site off-and-on since the very early days of the site. Ads aren't a new thing. The homepage has never been skinned bright yellow, and I agree that it's very garish, but to claim that Giant Bomb has lost it's integrity based on a fictitious claim that the site was going to be ad-free is ridiculous.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#167  Edited By Humanity

@MattyFTM: It's bad enough this sort of ad exists in the first place. The idea wasn't that Giantbomb was too cool for advertisement but it was "better than this."

Neoblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Neoblade

Why not just become a premium member, then you don't have those.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By casper_

end times comin'

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Carryboy

@MattyFTM: I don't think its lost its integrity but I think you can say its very hypocritical because of comments Jeff has made in the past regarding advertisement on other sites.

Supercancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Supercancer

@Jumanji: Huh? What did I do?

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By MaxxS

@Carryboy said:

@MattyFTM: I don't think its lost its integrity but I think you can say its very hypocritical because of comments Jeff has made in the past regarding advertisement on other sites.

I don't want to assume, but I bet if it was up to Jeff, that ad wouldn't be there.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Carryboy

@MaxxS: So would you therefore say that they sold out? For the record Im not saying i think selling out is bad.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Superkenon

I'm torn on this thread. On one hand, it's important for viewers to give their feedback on things like this -- after all, if an ad is distasteful to your site's following, then it's good for them to let you know so you can avoid it in the future.

On the other hand, we've got people looking at a single Sprint Ad and coming up with "BETRAYER!! ALL THESE YEARS WERE A LIEE!!!!!!!"

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By MaxxS

@Carryboy said:

@MaxxS: So would you therefore say that they sold out? For the record Im not saying i think selling out is bad.

No, I'm saying that it's probably out of their control.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Dagbiker

So every one loved the black on yellow in persona 4, but now it sucks?

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Carryboy

C@MaxxS said:

@Carryboy said:

No, I'm saying that it's probably out of their control.

Control which they forfeited for money?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#178  Edited By Tennmuerti

That seems pretty terrible. Ads are one thing, this is ugly, distracting, garish you name it. If I was not a subscriber i would be pissed off. So chalk one more voice up for getting rid of intrusive stuff like this.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Redsox44

Been like that for a while for me. Ads everywhere not just homepage, doesn't bother me that much. Really should get to installing adblocker though.

No Caption Provided

-Just installed adblock, pretty easy, oh well people have to find out about the EVO some way.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By J12088

The more important question is why is there still premium content? You don't get big ass adverts like that on a site like this for free. Every other site in the world gives me all there content in exchange for there big ugly adverts.

Guess I'll install ad block.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By AngelN7

I like this pay or take it! mentality some users have of course all of them paying members , I guess I've been a thief all my life because I don't look at billboards and skip the channel when there's a commercial on.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Azteck

@Jensonb said:

Also, I'm sick of people saying "just use AdBlocker". If you use AdBlocker, you are a thief, period. You wouldn't go around telling people to "just take" a loaf of bread if they didn't want to pay the $2 to buy one.

Are you fucking dumb?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#183  Edited By ch3burashka

Advertising is a reality of life. I generally have no issues with them.

HOWEVER, advertising becomes a much more aggressive beast when it's interfering with what I came here to do. For me, any ad that re-formats the page or animates even slightly (by which I mean moves the entire page rather than animation within the ad itself, like those that expand slowly) is more or less unforgivable. I had hoped that GB was above that.

DreadMorrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By DreadMorrison

@Superkenon: My thoughts exactly. I think the problem is that this community is mostly made of reasonable people that either don't care enough to post things or most times get drowned out by the unreasonable crazies who have created an unrealistic idea of what they are speaking of. Then the people who are trying to be reasonable and care just lump everyone that is complaining (even those who have good arguments) as one crazy mob of lunatics (more commonly known as the internet). When everyone 'screams' no one can listen, and then what we have is the United Nations (or forums, pick or chose). I love this community, but it's super difficult to ask everyone to play nice.

Also to anyone who wants to take short snippets of what I said out of context and not ask for any clarification, feel free to do it.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By mtcantor

If you aren't willing to pay for a sub, then deal with having to see ads. It's one or the other. The money has to come from somewhere.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By bacongames

I think the only complain worth leveling is that the ad is an eyesore and because of that is a bit garish. I don't understand how anyone is citing this is as irrelevant. For years now people in advertising have figured out a thing called, say it with me now, demographics. Those demos, when they think they have a handle on them, tend to buy certain products not just video games.

I remember a Game Informer article years ago lamenting the fact that publishers advertising games to people already reading a game magazine it bordered on illogical. Why would they need to advertise games only if that's not the only product that the audience buys in their lives? Counter-programing middling reception is the only one I can think besides the obligatory wide net marketing roll out to remind everyone your game exists. People visiting a site like this though don't need to be told a new AAA title is coming because they already know that. Gamespot I can kind of understand because they deal in big and broad traffic. Giant Bomb on the other hand would only benefit from smaller or more obscure games since our audience here already knows about the majority of big games coming out.

So back to my original point, the ads targeting smart phones to people visiting a video game website is completely relevant given target demo information. Is it still bright and kind of garrish? Sure. Since the ad is the same on GS, I would hazard a guess that there was a meeting by the ad team first and then people like Dave and the other engineers were brought in to implement it on the back end. I'm sure the editors have an opinion but it could go either way really with them. On the one hand they may still want to see better ad implementation but on the other hand dismiss all this as people not wanting ads on Giant Bomb because they liked their little grassroots basement website when it started out. Keep in mind I was here from day one but we have to recognize that they gotta grow in order to keep doing what they're doing or get more stuff to do more stuff.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Jimbo

Wondering how long Giant Bomb is going to exist as a seperate entity before the pretense is dropped entirely and they are just straight up GameSpot again. 12, 18 months?

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Carryboy

@Jimbo: 8

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By mtcantor

@Jimbo said:

Wondering how long Giant Bomb is going to exist as a seperate entity before the pretense is dropped entirely and they are just straight up GameSpot again. 12, 18 months?

Giant Bomb has a recognized and followed brand. Why would they dismantle it? Especially if they are spending the time and resources to relaunch the site?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Dagbiker
@Azteck Yes, attack the person, not the argument.
Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Carryboy

@mtcantor: Drop in subscription revenue.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By J12088

@mtcantor said:

If you aren't willing to pay for a sub, then deal with having to see ads. It's one or the other. The money has to come from somewhere.

Correct. The money has to come from somewhere. Either they raise money from subs or from adverts. Like every other site on the internet. One or the other - right?

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By mtcantor

@Carryboy said:

@mtcantor: Drop in subscription revenue.

This makes no sense. Even if subs dropped, having an extra outlet provides more ad revenue at little to no extra cost.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Sooty

Haha, people calling those who use AdBlock thieves. Hilarious, maybe when your house gets jacked you'll learn what a thief actually is.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By FirePrince

My eyes are burning from that yellow.

Who the fuck thought a bright yellow background would look good on a computer screen? Or any screen, by that matter.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Carryboy

@mtcantor: If the subs becomes more a niche doesn't it make sense to roll giant bomb into gamespot have there own tab for giant bomb sub exclusive stuff ie random pc games, and have the other guys cover games on gamespot/let go.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Sooty said:

Haha, people calling those who use AdBlock thieves. Hilarious, maybe when your house gets jacked you'll learn what a thief actually is.

no man its totally the same u r STEALING

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Carryboy

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Sooty said:

no man its totally the same u r STEALING

Hey is that you in your avatar? I sure hope so if not you better have got permission/payed royalties to use that picture.

THIEF.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Clonedzero

i use adblock. im not a thief or a scumbag. im just a guy who doesn't want annoying ads shoved in my face. i get enough of that from other places.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Carryboy

@Clonedzero said:

i use adblock. im not a thief or a scumbag. im just a guy who doesn't want annoying ads shoved in my face. i get enough of that from other places.

Are you sending this from jail?